If Warde Goes, Where Should we Look? | The Boneyard

If Warde Goes, Where Should we Look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I know next to nothing about the quality of athletic directors across the country and which of them have UConn roots. However, I thought it might be interesting to hear what some of you guys have to say and what names come to mind when you think of UConn's next athletic director (in the event that we need one). If there are a list of prerequisites for the job, #1 on my list would be that they come from a school with a FBS football program.

Reaction Score
We're not looking anywhere. If he does move on, let those in charge do the work.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
The last time someone was chosen with UConn ties the athletic department suffered through 8 years of complete and utter ineptness. I have seen Pernetti's name brought up on here...I'd like to see him get a shot.

Didn't Pernetti hire both Mike Rice and Kyle Flood? Does Pernetti actually have a good reputation, or was that meant to be sarcastic? I'm not asking these question rhetorically, I actually just don't know the answer.

Reaction Score
Didn't Pernetti hire both Mike Rice and Kyle Flood? Does Pernetti actually have a good reputation, or was that meant to be sarcastic? I'm not asking these question rhetorically, I actually just don't know the answer.
Good points there...especially with Rice. There was a lot written about how Pernetti worked hard (he was able to get himself classified as a recruiter and went out on the road to meet with the kids who had committed to RU) to save the recruiting class Schiano bailed on when he left for Tampa Bay....and he was under the gun to cut his budget so he got Flood on the cheap for a salary somewhere in the $900K/Yr range and was able to salvage the class. He is supposedly very well respected in the college athletic community specifically football from his time working at ABC Sports and CBS College Sports Network.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
There was mention of Boo Corrigan from Army. It's tougher to google, but we'd probably want to look at associate athletic directors at high-level P5 schools in the eastern part of the country. On another note - how about Mike O'Brien from Toledo?

Mike O'Brien is the second longest tenured Athletic Director in the Mid-American Conference, and he has not wasted his thirteen years leading the Rockets. Currently Toledo is receiving votes for the Top 25 in football while knocking off two Power 5 opponents (Arkansas and Iowa State). Athletics success at Toledo did not happen overnight, as the Rockets head man has built the department into one of the top programs in the MAC (27 conference championships) and established national competitiveness.

Capital projects have been on his agenda including renovations to the outdoor track, tennis courts, and the soccer field. The crown jewel of the facility enhancements is the $30 million renovation to Savage Arena, along with the new athletics complex attached. His most recent project was the $5.5 million renovation to the Larimer Athletic Complex that supports the football program. Another key upgrade came in 2010, when The Fetterman Training Center indoor multi-sport practice facility that includes a 100-yard Field Turf playing surface, a regulation basketball/volleyball court, sprinting lanes and a long jump pit for track, a golf practice area and new golf locker rooms.

During his tenure, UT has made six bowl appearances in football, three NIT appearances in men's basketball and five WNIT appearances in women's basketball, including a WNIT championship crown in 2011. In 2011-12, the Rockets took home the Jacoby Trophy as the MAC's top women's athletic program for the first time in school history. Academics have also been a priority as UT has produced overall department grade-point averages above a 3.1 in each of the past 11 semesters. The record GPA of 3.210 occurred under O'Brien's leadership in the spring of 2013.

Toledo was Mike's second AD job as he previously led FCS- Southland Conference member Lamar. In June of 2012, O'Brien was named the NACDA Football Bowl Subdivision Northeast Region Athletic Director of the Year. He has over 17 years' experience leading division I athletic departments. His work with the Rockets can be used as a blueprint for success by all current and future MAC Athletic Directors.​

Reaction Score
Mike Aresco ;) when UConn gets the invite to the B1G(talk about jumping ship, the AAC wouldn't survive)

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
One more guy - Vaughn Williams. Does not have a P5-style resume but he is a former UConn assoc AD. AD of Kennesaw State.

Reaction Score
2 of the 4 retired. The first is the GA AD so he's not coming here. The last is on the west coast and has no experience in the the most important aspect, FBS football.
you have to wonder how many of the names on that list actually even interviewed in 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom