If UH (etal) want to be in Big 12 in 2023, AAC wants another $35 million… | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If UH (etal) want to be in Big 12 in 2023, AAC wants another $35 million…

Reaction Score
You know the Big 12 is looking to see if they can force oklahoma and TX each into 8 conference road games for 2023 season

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I really just want to get on to the next thing and that’s to see where the B12 lands on their next media deal.

Reaction Score
I really just want to get on to the next thing and that’s to see where the B12 lands on their next media deal.
Shouldn't be long. Renewal is 2025, negotiations should start by early next year I would think.

Reaction Score
It will definitely be interesting not only in terms of overall dollars but also how the newcomers get phased in.

This is the first article I've seen that gives details about the 4 year phase in period WVU & TCU went thru.

Given that the existing schools are going to take a paycut when Texas & OU leave do they stretch out the ramp up period longer than 4 years for the newcomers? I would think that those schools will want to keep as much for themselves as they can.

Then the question becomes what's the minimum the newcomers are willing to take to escape AAC purgatory?

Reaction Score
It will definitely be interesting not only in terms of overall dollars but also how the newcomers get phased in.

This is the first article I've seen that gives details about the 4 year phase in period WVU & TCU went thru.

Given that the existing schools are going to take a paycut when Texas & OU leave do they stretch out the ramp up period longer than 4 years for the newcomers? I would think that those schools will want to keep as much for them as they can.

Then the question becomes what's the minimum the newcomers willing to take to escape AAC purgatory?

First year of new Big12 contract?

Reaction Score
It is astounding that these schools were able to succeed in getting into a P5 Conference before UConn.
That’s what happens when you make decisions based on an irrelevant sport. In the world of conference realignment having good basketball is like serving good ice cream with an apple pie. It’s a nice addition but not the thing people care about.

FWIW, Big Lew knew this which was why he pressed to get UConn to play FBS football. Unfortunately, he succeeded too late, and left before it could be solidified.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It is astounding that these schools were able to succeed in getting into a P5 Conference before UConn.
Not so much. It was a desperation defensive move by the big 12. If the SEC had rated the two best schools out of the ACC, UConn likely would have gotten the offer. We are a bad geographic fit for the big 12.

Reaction Score
The problem of course, is ESPN has zero need to be in Bristol. And most UConn fans would whine that playing Houston, CincinnatI, Texas Tech, and Kansas in basketball was no where near as good as playing St Johns and Georgetown. So there is limited demand to risk enraging a major corporate employer/taxpayer to get the program into a league 65% of the fan base would view as a downgrade.
Sad situation for sure. I guess the fans would rather be a big fish in a small pond. Shortsightedness is certainly financially crippling and relegates the school to secondary status.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
FWIW, Big Lew knew this which was why he pressed to get UConn to play FBS football.
Big Lew turned out to be wrong. He said we needed football or else we'd be left behind. We got left behind anyway.

CL82

Reaction Score
Big Lew turned out to be wrong. He said we needed football or else we'd be left behind. We got left behind anyway.
Lew was right. Your logic is faulty. Is the equivalent of saying that you don’t need a college degree in order to become a doctor because you have a college degree and you’re not a doctor.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Had we upgraded earlier and established ourselves, I suspect we would not have been overlooked in the ACC expansion. No way of knowing of course, but he understood that it was football, not basketball that would be the driver and he was correct on that score. Whether the decision to upgrade would have saved us had it been made earlier, nobody can know.

Reaction Score
So, be careful about threading on politics.

That said, sure, with the benefit of hindsight, our conference affiliation has been mismanaged. I believe that’s the timing of the expansion break give them to ESPN and you cards conference change opportunities didn’t line up so that a natural quid pro quo, albeit in the margins, was obvious. I do you think that when it became public knowledge via Defiloppo’s comments that BCU was attempting to blackball us, we should have quietly reached out to ESPN and said to them, again in the margins, that conference realignment and conference affiliation means hundreds of millions of dollars to the state of Connecticut. ESPN is funding expansion of the ACC. We would fully expect that any future expansion would include Connecticut. When Maryland left that was the time to quietly go to ESPN’s leadership and say we’ve taken care of you now is the time to take care of us. Nothing in public, everything behind closed doors, which is the way this stuff happens. So, to the extent you say that Connecticut mismanaged it’s conference filiation, I’m inclined to agree regarding replacing Maryland. Keep in mind, however, that Susan Herbst was informed by her connections in the ACC that it was a done deal in Connecticut was going to get the offer. So, she felt her best play was to do nothing not to queer the deal, but have the governors office already reached out to ESPN, there would’ve been no need for her to do anything.

Just my opinion.
Agreed, no politics. Thank you for the reply.

CL82

Reaction Score
Our problem has been losing football games.
In all honesty, I don’t think so. In the 10 years prior to the last ACC expansion Connecticut had gone to five bowls and won two Big East championships. That is a remarkable record for a team that had only just stepped up to D1 play. Don’t get me wrong though, we need to win a lot of games before the next expansion opportunity comes around.

Reaction Score
In all honesty, I don’t think so. In the 10 years prior to the last ACC expansion Connecticut had gone to five bowls and won two Big East championships. That is a remarkable record for a team that had only just stepped up to D1 play. Don’t get me wrong though, we need to win a lot of games before the next expansion opportunity comes around.
Nah. We weren’t good enough. We should have hired Mike Leach. We’d be in.

Reaction Score
Good had nothing to do with it.
We would have been in but we hired Paul Pasqualoni. It was a terrible move. We needed to show at least as much commitment as UL did. They had Petrino. We didn’t.

If we had hired anyone in Petrino’s stratosphere, we’d be in the P5 somewhere.

CL82

Reaction Score
We would have been in but we hired Paul Pasqualoni. It was a terrible move. We needed to show at least as much commitment as UL did. They had Petrino. We didn’t.

If we had hired anyone in Petrino’s stratosphere, we’d be in the P5 somewhere.
Who Knows Idk GIF by Dolly Parton

Who knows? Course, finding someone the quality of Petrino is easier said than done.

Reaction Score
Who Knows Idk GIF by Dolly Parton

Who knows? Course, finding someone the quality of Petrino is easier said than done.

Mike Leach was the answer and he wanted a job. It was the splash hire we needed.

Reaction Score
I’m not so sure UConn will be going anywhere unless we see major realignment. Can UConn add enough value to a conference to increase the amount of money everyone takes home? Keep in mind that football drives the bus.

Look at Kansas. In theory, they should be an ideal candidate for Big Ten expansion. A blue blood basketball program. AAU Membership. A state that borders another Big Ten state. A state flagship university. Enhanced media market coverage in the Kansas City market. Yet, KU stands a snowballs chance in hell of ever being invited to the Big Ten. Even it’s blue blood basketball program cannot generate the money football brings in. KU would take from the $$ pie rather than contribute to it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom