If UConn actually starts winning | The Boneyard

If UConn actually starts winning

Reaction Score
If Mora actually makes UConn a winner and I can envision that happening...this place will explode, the media will talk about the program a bunch, and the stadium will be full again. The program has been battered and bruised, they've been a national laughingstock for a long time. Everyone likes to see a reclamation project and Mora is really well liked and respected around the game.

I've never seen a team and fanbase more starved for wins than UConn football.

There's plenty of work to do this season but looking ahead a little they're going to get all those skill players healthy for next season, Zion Turner will have a year under his belt with other QB's competing against him and Mora will bring in more talent through the portal and high school/prep.

I'm rambling but UConn football finally has a grown up who knows what he's doing running the program. He's given the team a pulse and they're showing signs of figuring some things out. With more talent and health he may just turn this thing around quicker than anyone thinks.

His presser after the game was impressive.

Reaction Score
Think the ship has sailed when it comes to building a loyal and rabid fanbase for football. A few years of 8-4 and 9-3 will probably see a two or three sellouts at best. Nothing close to the stadium expansion talk that once used to exist on these forums.

Reaction Score
Think the ship has sailed when it comes to building a loyal and rabid fanbase for football. A few years of 8-4 and 9-3 will probably see a two or three sellouts at best. Nothing close to the stadium expansion talk that once used to exist on these forums.
Well having Mora be in tune with todays social media and landscape of college football can’t hurt.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I disagree,

If they win, they will come. They just need a reason to come

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Helps that the Pats suck again

Was just thinking about that this morning. Sports fans have a finite amount of time and energy to root for their teams and they tend to gravitate that time and energy towards their team playing best.

Much easier to invest time and energy on a Saturday watching UConn play well knowing that Sunday is a relaxing day because your NFL is meh.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Much easier to invest time and energy on a Saturday watching UConn play well knowing that Sunday is a relaxing day because your NFL is meh.
I dunno... it’s hard to remember, but when I was a sophomore at UConn in 2007 the football team was actually ranked! I went to watch those tough Huskies outgrind other teams to win on Saturday, then the Pats were steamrolling the competition every week on Sundays. I loved it! I used to joke to my roommate about how I was in football fandom heaven.

My roommate was a Giants fan. He had the last laugh that season. Good times.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I dunno... it’s hard to remember, but when I was a sophomore at UConn in 2007 the football team was actually ranked! I went to watch those tough Huskies outgrind other teams to win on Saturday, then the Pats were steamrolling the competition every week on Sundays. I loved it! I used to joke to my roommate about how I was in football fandom heaven.

My roommate was a Giants fan. He had the last laugh that season. Good times.

Yeah, when I was in college I could devote a bunch of time to all the sports I wanted to watch.

Then life hits and if you want to get 40k in to a stadium you need adults whose time is always a trade off. Doing any one thing means you are sacrificing time to do something else.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Yeah, when I was in college I could devote a bunch of time to all the sports I wanted to watch.

Then life hits and if you want to get 40k in to a stadium you need adults whose time is always a trade off. Doing any one thing means you are sacrificing time to do something else.
I feel you there, I can only make 3 of the games this year. But I’m making the most of it, the two I’ve been to this year have both been wins! And last night was my daughter’s first UConn game, really a win-win day!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I think a change in culture and some winning will prevent many of the more talented guys from hitting the portal. They'll be part of something special in Stores rather than just another piece of meat. Bowling in 2023.

Reaction Score
For now I just want UConn football to reach the point where the social media clowns will stop the snarky comments about dropping down to FCS or dropping football altogether.

Get UConn football back to respectability and everything else will take care of itself. Mora looks to have us moving in the right direction.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I don't think there is much crossover between UConn football ticket sales and Patriots/Jets/Giants attendance, which given the time commitment to the live event of a football GameDay, is where the conflict exists.

They play on different levels, on different days, and far enough away where one wouldn't generally have a material effect on the other, over a given fan base.

A similar false analogy would be the New Britian Bees benefitted because the Red Sox sucked this year.

Rewind back to the aught. The Patriots won 3 Super Bowls, went 18-1 in another, and were regularly in the playoffs. UConn still sold out their home schedule for the better part of 8 seasons.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For now I just want UConn football to reach the point where the social media clowns will stop the snarky comments about dropping down to FCS or dropping football altogether.
You can dream…

There are a boatload of people on Twitter that hate all UConn sports because a Calhoun-led team knocked their mens’ hoops team out of the NCAA tourney 20 years ago

Reaction Score
It'll take at least a couple of years of solid results, probably more, to get butts consistently in the seats. Get it to 25K on a regular basis and everybody should be happy. Obviously more if we have a "big time" program coming in and it should be a competitive game.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It'll take at least a couple of years of solid results, probably more, to get butts consistently in the seats. Get it to 25K on a regular basis and everybody should be happy. Obviously more if we have a "big time" program coming in and it should be a competitive game.
This is exactly why the AD should strive to schedule 6 P5 home and home series per year with three being at home.

If you do that, you can fill in the home schedule with Army/UMass, an FCS opponent, and one other (either a MW or AAC school).

Reaction Score

Get UConn football back to respectability and everything else will take care of itself. Mora looks to have us moving in the right direction.
I don't care about the internets' take on our Huskies. Your 2nd paragraph, 100%

And at some point there will be a couple of conferences asking "and why didn't WE grab UCONN when it was available?"

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't think there is much crossover between UConn football ticket sales and Patriots/Jets/Giants attendance, which given the time commitment to the live event of a football GameDay, is where the conflict exists.

They play on different levels, on different days, and far enough away where one wouldn't generally have a material effect on the other, over a given fan base.

A similar false analogy would be the New Britian Bees benefitted because the Red Sox sucked this year.

Rewind back to the aught. The Patriots won 3 Super Bowls, went 18-1 in another, and were regularly in the playoffs. UConn still sold out their home schedule for the better part of 8 seasons.

I disagree but undestand your premise.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I don't care about the internets' take on our Huskies.
I'd like to agree with this but it's tough recruiting to clown school. Gotta get out of that mode.

Reaction Score
Kansas doing well, Duke has recently. Gonna have to beat elite programs to get respect. Even then it will be more of a slight against them than admiration for UCONN.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
You can dream…

There are a boatload of people on Twitter that hate all UConn sports because a Calhoun-led team knocked their mens’ hoops team out of the NCAA tourney 20 years ago
The bitter souls of Duke, Kentucky, and other so-called blue bloods which UConn has beaten through the years

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This is exactly why the AD should strive to schedule 6 P5 home and home series per year with three being at home.

If you do that, you can fill in the home schedule with Army/UMass, an FCS opponent, and one other (either a MW or AAC school).
It'll be tough to schedule six P5s in any year. We've got four scheduled in '23, '24, and '26, three in '25 and '27.

I'm somewhat surprised pretty much all August/Sept dates are already filled thru '27, as that's when P5s would normally play indies prior starting their conference schedules. Our only open dates are from mid-October thru November each year. So for a school like Pitt, which has been rumored as a future opponent, UConn would probably need to shuffle the schedule to accommodate a H/H series.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom