IF there is Big 12 Expansion | Page 10 | The Boneyard

IF there is Big 12 Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
6 months later, here we are. Go time.

The Big 12 wants to expand, and there is some major muscle in the conference behind expansion. The desire for a Big 12 Network is a major driver for expansion, and the last obstacle is Texas' desire to wait for the outcome of the 10 Team Amendment. The Big 12's amendment appears dead on arrival unless Delaney is appeased somehow, which he won't be. There is no way the vote goes against Delaney. He wouldn't have said anything unless he knew he had already blocked it. We don't know if Texas will continue to block expansion regardless of the outcome of the vote.

I agree with others that BYU appears to be out of the picture based on Mendenhall taking a dead-end Virginia job. If he thought there was any realistic chance of BYU getting into a major conference, he would have waited a year. Virginia is where coaches go to finish their careers early.

That leaves us in a face-off with Cincinnati and Houston. Cincinnati seems like a lock, which means Houston vs. UConn, mano y mano. We are not a lock by any means, but I like our odds. It is up to Herbst and Manuel to close the deal.

It also appears that Herbst may be getting a helping hand from the media. There are major sports reporters running with this story, not just basement dwelling, twitter freaks from Appalachia and the northern prairie. Raising UConn's profile with the media helps us out with the Big 12 Presidents, who will feel at least a little pressure to take the best academic school of the options.

More importantly, the open discussion of UConn to the Big 12 must be causing some phones to ring around Tobacco Road. Any hope of an ACC network requires a major NYC presence, and if the Big 12 adds UConn, NYC becomes a 3 conference town. The ACC has a spot for us and we know there is support among many in the league, with our biggest opponents at BCU having retired. The ACC knows it has to add us before the Big 12 does, because the Big 12 offer will most likely be exploding. We will find out real soon if A) there is any real meat behind these rumors and B) whether UConn has enough support in the ACC for an invitation. If either A or B are true, failure is not an option.
RE: ACC invite...do you have any "LEGITIMATE" sources..or is this your ideal situation on how CR shakes out for UCONN? There has been absolutely NOTHING about these UCONN to the B12 rumors causing the ACC to make a possible pre-emptive move what so ever. Same with the B1G.....

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I just don't see how another conference network gets off the ground unless it's tied to internet subscriptions. The cable customer base is reeling yet ESPN is going to throw another channel into the mix and demand an increase of $.30-$1.00 per subscriber per month?

Reaction Score
I am not convinced that Cincinnati is a slam dunk here. To me, I think the ADs of the Big12 would be in favor but the Presidents would not. Count me in the camp that believes in the end it will be UConn and Central Florida.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
RE: ACC invite...do you have any "LEGITIMATE" sources..or is this your ideal situation on how CR shakes out for UCONN? There has been absolutely NOTHING about these UCONN to the B12 rumors causing the ACC to make a possible pre-emptive move what so ever. Same with the B1G.....

When Louisville was added, we knew there was a lot of support for UConn but FSU and GTech wanted a better football program. One of the issues at the time that several writers commented on was that the ACC was worried about the Big 12 grabbing Louisville, but that they expected UConn to be available down the road if the ACC wanted us. That could be changing. We will find out just how much support we had within the ACC.

I do not think the Big 10 has any interested in UConn. Delaney doesn't wait to see what others do before he acts. If the Big 10 wanted us, we would be in the Big 10 by now.

Reaction Score
I just don't see how another conference network gets off the ground unless it's tied to internet subscriptions. The cable customer base is reeling yet ESPN is going to throw another channel into the mix and demand an increase of $.30-$1.00 per subscriber per month?

If it's UConn, I think ESPN could actually figure it out rather easily. The added women's bball games alone (i.e. vs. Baylor, etc.) will be worth it. UConn men too. It will allow them to eliminate the extra money from the AAC (from $24m down to $12m) and to add more compelling content, while also bolstering the Conn.market.

Reaction Score
It would be kinda funny, in a karma is a B type of way, if UConn ended up in the B12. Flipper and BC "supposedly" (if you are to believe Flippers direct quote to a reporter) put forward Pitt as a candidate over UConn years ago in order to keep the B12 out of the ACC's back yard, but it ultimately may end up putting the B12 inside the ACC's kitchen.

But of course, as we all get cautiously excited about the possibility of getting that life raft, in the back of our minds is rule #1 of CR.

Reaction Score
I am not convinced that Cincinnati is a slam dunk here. To me, I think the ADs of the Big12 would be in favor but the Presidents would not. Count me in the camp that believes in the end it will be UConn and Central Florida.

Whether it is officially in any existing agreement or not, West Virginia needs a partner and if the XII does not give them one in the next round of expansion, then West Virgina may have grounds to sue and challenge the GOR. That threat alone would be enough for the XII to look to add Cincinatti as the XII would be raided the second after its GOR was struck down.

Reaction Score
If it's UConn, I think ESPN could actually figure it out rather easily. The added women's bball games alone (i.e. vs. Baylor, etc.) will be worth it. UConn men too. It will allow them to eliminate the extra money from the AAC (from $24m down to $12m) and to add more compelling content, while also bolstering the Conn.market.
Fox also Foxsports 2 that currently gives them nothing. They could begin transitioning that toward a Big 12 network I would think. Doesn't just have to be ESPN.

Reaction Score
When Louisville was added, we knew there was a lot of support for UConn but FSU and GTech wanted a better football program. One of the issues at the time that several writers commented on was that the ACC was worried about the Big 12 grabbing Louisville, but that they expected UConn to be available down the road if the ACC wanted us. That could be changing. We will find out just how much support we had within the ACC.

I do not think the Big 10 has any interested in UConn. Delaney doesn't wait to see what others do before he acts. If the Big 10 wanted us, we would be in the Big 10 by now.
It was FSU and Clemson

N

Nutmeg

If I'm the Big 12, I go for the best properties on the board in BYU and UConn. Ideally, they also add Cincinnati and Temple (which shouldn't be dismissed as a dark horse candidate) to increase the likelihood of a Big 12 network. Houston is only viable if Texas politics win out over logic. That said, I think they pick UConn and Cincinnati this round.

Reaction Score
It would be kinda funny, in a karma is a B type of way, if UConn ended up in the B12. Flipper and BC "supposedly" (if you are to believe Flippers direct quote to a reporter) put forward Pitt as a candidate over UConn years ago in order to keep the B12 out of the ACC's back yard, but it ultimately may end up putting the B12 inside the ACC's kitchen.

But of course, as we all get cautiously excited about the possibility of getting that life raft, in the back of our minds is rule #1 of CR.

Kitchen? It would me more like offering Tom Brady to babysit my wife and offering to sleep on the coach while he was visiting.

Opening the door for XII schools to recruit in Jersey with the 4/5 stars going to Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor, etc. and UConn getting the 3/4 stars has to be a huge threat to BC and Syracuse who need successful recruiting classes from NJ to survive. I suspect that B1G may also have concerns, too, Michigan in particular has been very successful recruiting in state and Rutgers and Penn State both need Jersey to be successful. Just look at the current 2016 NJ Top 25 Recruiting class

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?State=NJ

ACC: 6 (Duke, UVA 2x, Syracuse, BC, Pitt)
B1G: 11 (Michigan 4x, Michigan St 2x, Penn St 2x, Nebraska, Rutgers 2x)
Other: 1 (SEC - Tennessee)
Undecided: 7

Reaction Score
In my opinion, the best case scenario is that strong talk of UConn going to the XII spurs the B1G (option 1, especially as the ACC may not survive over the long term) or the ACC (option 2) to grab UConn now.

But, if UConn does join the XII, where do UConn's Olympic sports go? The non-revenue sports, such as baseball, softball, track, women's soccer, etc. would have a devil of a travel schedule. Field Hockey I assume can stay in the Big E and ditto for both hockey teams in Hockey East. The XII does not sponsor men's soccer (West Virginia is the only XII to play soccer and they play in the MAC), so that team would have to find a new home - MAC, stay in the America, Big East?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
In my opinion, the best case scenario is that strong talk of UConn going to the XII spurs the B1G (option 1, especially as the ACC may not survive over the long term) or the ACC (option 2) to grab UConn now.

But, if UConn does join the XII, where do UConn's Olympic sports go? The non-revenue sports, such as baseball, softball, track, women's soccer, etc. would have a devil of a travel schedule. Field Hockey I assume can stay in the Big E and ditto for both hockey teams in Hockey East. The XII does not sponsor men's soccer (West Virginia is the only XII to play soccer and they play in the MAC), so that team would have to find a new home - MAC, stay in the America, Big East?
This, along with geography culture and academics (aside from UT), is why UConn and the B12 are not made for each other. But if there is an actual chance an not just a sportswriter's hypothetical, then I'm all for a marriage of convenience - to have and to hold, until someone better/richer comes along.

Reaction Score

The non-revenue sports compete in the Big 12 in what ever sports they sponsor. No different from what happens in the AAC now. Those sports that the Big 12 doesn't support find homes somewhere else. Outside of Temple and Navy our non-revenue Olympic sports travel a pretty big distance right now.

Reaction Score

I agree. We've been left behind by both the ACC and B1G. If we get added to the Big 12, it would be very satisfying to see the Big 12 plant a flag in NYC.

Reaction Score
Agree, just hope that there could be some movement by B1G and/or ACC if they believe B12 will expand.

If thrown a life preserver, you don't throw it back and continue to tread water hoping a better one is going to come.

Reaction Score

1. This is not an issue in the big picture.

2. No reason to think the Big East would have an issue with soccer and anything else other than football and hoops, since whatever product we give them would be for free. If they don't want it, the A Ten will (which is a better geographic fit than where we are now).

Reaction Score

The Big 12 wants to expand, and there is some major muscle in the conference behind expansion. The desire for a Big 12 Network is a major driver for expansion, and the last obstacle is Texas' desire to wait for the outcome of the 10 Team Amendment. The Big 12's amendment appears dead on arrival unless Delaney is appeased somehow, which he won't be. There is no way the vote goes against Delaney. He wouldn't have said anything unless he knew he had already blocked it. We don't know if Texas will continue to block expansion regardless of the outcome of the vote.

I agree with others that BYU appears to be out of the picture based on Mendenhall taking a dead-end Virginia job. If he thought there was any realistic chance of BYU getting into a major conference, he would have waited a year. Virginia is where coaches go to finish their careers early.

That leaves us in a face-off with Cincinnati and Houston. Cincinnati seems like a lock, which means Houston vs. UConn, mano y mano. We are not a lock by any means, but I like our odds. It is up to Herbst and Manuel to close the deal.

It also appears that Herbst may be getting a helping hand from the media. There are major sports reporters running with this story, not just basement dwelling, twitter freaks from Appalachia and the northern prairie. Raising UConn's profile with the media helps us out with the Big 12 Presidents, who will feel at least a little pressure to take the best academic school of the options.

More importantly, the open discussion of UConn to the Big 12 must be causing some phones to ring around Tobacco Road. Any hope of an ACC network requires a major NYC presence, and if the Big 12 adds UConn, NYC becomes a 3 conference town. The ACC has a spot for us and we know there is support among many in the league, with our biggest opponents at BCU having retired. The ACC knows it has to add us before the Big 12 does, because the Big 12 offer will most likely be exploding. We will find out real soon if A) there is any real meat behind these rumors and B) whether UConn has enough support in the ACC for an invitation. If either A or B are true, failure is not an option.

Less than 24 hours after agreeing with a Palatine post, I find myself agreeing mostly with Nelson. Strange start to the year. I'd say the following:

1. I have no reason to think any of this chatter is or is not real. So I'm not saying it isn't -- just that I won't have my hopes up until we know more.

2. Fully agree with NM on the ACC -- thinking we're on the table for the XII makes them ask if they can allow that to happen. Is anyone going to pay significant money for a single conference network going forward in NYC if three major conferences are playing in and sharing the market?

3. I still think the Big Ten asks the same question. It's not as simple as saying "if Delaney wanted us we'd have an invite." Delaney certainly could have us in mind but, assuming he has no time deadline, is waiting to see how various things (including the cable market) play out. If he has a deadline, things may be diferent.

I've said all along, our biggest value to both the Ten and the ACC may be in keeping us out of the other's hand. Allowing us in the XII's hands may be even worse as it brings a third player into the marketplace.

We'll see.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
There is no question that we fit in better with the B1G or even ACC. But we also fit in well with the B12. Maybe all of this B12 chatter will light a fire under Delany to make a pre-emptive move. Maybe it won't. But it's clear that we are the #1 option currently sitting outside of the G5. I agree that there is significantly more pressure on our leadership to find us a Power conference home in the near future if the Big 12 decides to expand in 2016. If we are passed over for schools that are below us athletically, academically, brand revenue, and TV markets (that would be ALL of the G5 schools), then I think UConn Nation, including me, will go into full meltdown mode.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
There is no question that we fit in better with the B1G or even ACC. But we also fit in well with the B12. Maybe all of this B12 chatter will light a fire under Delany to make a pre-emptive move. Maybe it won't. But it's clear that we are the #1 option currently sitting outside of the G5. I agree that there is significantly more pressure on our leadership to find us a Power conference home in the near future if the Big 12 decides to expand in 2016. If we are passed over for schools that are below us athletically, academically, brand revenue, and TV markets (that would be ALL of the G5 schools), then I think UConn Nation, including me, will go into full meltdown mode.
I'll try not to go into meltdown mode until the ACC or B1G expands and UConn's still outside the P5. The worry of the BXII expanding without UConn - aside obviously from UConn still being G5, is what happens to the AAC TV deal if Cincy leaves. If that does happen we'd have to hope the ACC or B1G decide to accelerate the next round of CR before the mid-2020s. A fanbase meltdown would be understandable but could be the straw that breaks the camel's back if attendance craters.

Reaction Score

I get @junglehusky s point. I won't "blame or Sue or Warde" if we don't get picked. But please, don't come out with another missive about winners, and big future this and that. Nobody wants to hear that. Hearing that would make me go into meltdown mode. Attendance will likely crater. They won't be to blame, but the fans can't keep getting kicked in the balls and being asked to hang in there, donate more, come to our games against East Podunk State U etc.

If we do get left at the altar again, don't say nothing.

Reaction Score

The ACC has a spot for us and we know there is support among many in the league, with our biggest opponents at BCU having retired.

Father Leahy is still President at Boston College and he was part of the Big East lawsuit. Supposedly, Herbst has met with him to smooth over past issues. The fact that UConn and BC are scheduled to playing football again is a good sign that the relationship has warmed, but it is hard to know if Father Leahy still has issues with UConn.

Reaction Score
Has Skiblets chimed in yet? Will we know anything before the next Spring game?

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I get @junglehusky s point. I won't "blame or Sue or Warde" if we don't get picked. But please, don't come out with another missive about winners, and big future this and that. Nobody wants to hear that. Hearing that would make me go into meltdown mode. Attendance will likely crater. They won't be to blame, but the fans can't keep getting kicked in the balls and being asked to hang in there, donate more, come to our games against East Podunk State U etc.

If we do get left at the altar again, don't say nothing.
Well what realistic alternative is there to what the leadership could say at that point? What alternative was there to say after Louisville got in the ACC? Honest question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom