"If the B1G wants NYC" ....from MSU fans | Page 9 | The Boneyard

"If the B1G wants NYC" ....from MSU fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Boy are you self-absorbed...I can give 2 _hits about you. Just responding to your idiotic posts. Have a good life DB!
Ahh now you move to personal insults, real classy. You might have good writing skills but act like white trash. Keep up the good work and have a great day!

Thanks for letting me know Nebraska isn't in the Big 12!!! LAffin.

Reaction Score
Ahh now you move to personal insults, real classy. You might have good writing skills but act like white trash. Keep up the good work and have a great day!

Thanks for letting me know Nebraska isn't in the Big 12!!! LAffin.
"Most Big 12 fans are great. They don't throw batteries or feces at you, don't heckle your wife, etc... OU has a great fan base who are extremely loyal. By far the most loyal fan base is Nebraska. Sold out every game for over 50 years, just sold 40k tickets to the spring game."

Reaction Score
What bugged me about ND more than anything was their vote in 2004. For a conference member with only 5 toes in, they should have withheld their vote instead of siding with the Catholic schools, because that vote more than anything lead to the dissolution of the conference. If ND had simply refrained from voting when clearly the other schools had a lot more at stake, the conference could have established more stable footing and perhaps survived on a $15m per school take from ESPN.

That vote by ND killed us.

I've said it repeatedly, various boards: ND not only could have saved the Big East, it could have turned it into a powerhouse, big two sports: hoops & football.

They would have had their desired, national footprint for football recruiting, esp with VT and Miami in the fold.

In fact, had ND fully joined the Big East, it may have been the ACC desperately trying to protect itself from collapse & maybe PSU leaves the BIG.

Heck, there might even be a Big East hockey league had the above happened.

A school like Lville would have definitely ended up in such a Big East & perhaps UCF or USF.

I may be a BIG fan, in terms of conference loyalty, but I really miss the Original Big East - it was easily my second favorite conference, esp in basketball.

Reaction Score
I've said it repeatedly, various boards: ND not only could have saved the Big East, it could have turned it into a powerhouse, big two sports: hoops & football.

They would have had their desired, national footprint for football recruiting, esp with VT and Miami in the fold.

In fact, had ND fully joined the Big East, it may have been the ACC desperately trying to protect itself from collapse & maybe PSU leaves the BIG.

Heck, there might even be a Big East hockey league had the above happened.

A school like Lville would have definitely ended up in such a Big East & perhaps UCF or USF.

I may be a BIG fan, in terms of conference loyalty, but I really miss the Original Big East - it was easily my second favorite conference, esp in basketball.

We wouldn't even need ND to join. All it would take was for ND to get out of the way.

Back then I was a little sympathetic with the Catholics, but after what the Catholics pulled last year, when they tried to take everything and force UConn out, I look back on 2004 and realize that the football schools should have been ruthless and shown no sympathy at all.

Reaction Score
Interesting Map. Kinda show what states are BB first, FB first, or neither.
attachment.php

Reaction Score
"quote]

Are you done yet? I thought you were done after you called me an idiot and DB. But you just keep going and going, like a crazy x girlfriend. You really need to get a life and stop following me around like a lap dog telling me Nebraska is not in the Big 12. It really makes you look bad. Your obsession with me is obvious at this point.

Reaction Score

Huh...I was wrong - you are a narcisist if you think I am chasing you around. I was done with you several posts ago.....you apparently have nothing better to do than to keep responding to my posts....

By the way - this is your post not mine....and yes I am done
"Most Big 12 fans are great. They don't throw batteries or feces at you, don't heckle your wife, etc... OU has a great fan base who are extremely loyal. By far the most loyal fan base is Nebraska. Sold out every game for over 50 years, just sold 40k tickets to the spring game."

Reaction Score
And you just keep going. I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish but whatever it is, you failed miserably. You just keep following me around posting the same thing over and over. If you want to believe that I dont' know what conference Nebraska is in fine. Believe it. I really don't care what you think. But get off my jock and stop following me around. It's way past weird at this point.

Your internet grammar police act is pathetic to say the least. Keep up the good work.

Reaction Score
As if Manti Te'o didn't lie to the administration...

He did not. Te'o was a victim; let's blame the victim.

What bugged me about ND more than anything was their vote in 2004. For a conference member with only 5 toes in, they should have withheld their vote instead of siding with the Catholic schools, because that vote more than anything lead to the dissolution of the conference. If ND had simply refrained from voting when clearly the other schools had a lot more at stake, the conference could have established more stable footing and perhaps survived on a $15m per school take from ESPN.
That vote by ND killed us.

Sorry but that is pure scapegoating. The old Big East failed because crappy leadership did not adapt to the changing world of college sports. Not because of something a partial member could or didn't do.

Hey Joe,
You never did answer my question.
How many times did Notre Dame play UConn, Cinci, Louisville, and WVU while you were in the Big East from 1995 to 2013?

Do your own research. I recall attending a WVU game and meeting a group of Husky fans at Foxwoods who said they had a great time in SB. UL and Cinci were late to the party. But you should have asked.

Hey Joe,

How many times was Notre Dame obligated to play UConn, Cinci, Louisville, and WVU while you were in the Big East from 1995 to 2013?

Zero.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
attachment.php

I don't know when that is but for a time in NH the hockey coach was the highest paid public employee. If the U of Maine Law School Dean is #1 he must be a heck of a fundraiser because I didn't even know his law school was there.

Reaction Score
Sorry but that is pure scapegoating. The old Big East failed because crappy leadership did not adapt to the changing world of college sports. Not because of something a partial member could or didn't do.

This makes absolutely no sense and is contradictory. The vote was about clearing out the old leadership and starting anew with football in the lead. Notre Dame voted against that. In fact, it was Notre Dame's vote that reinstated the old leadership!!!!!

Reaction Score
Story I read in the local paper here in Jersey today. Basically states while Rutgers got into the B1G, UConn has beaten them at everything else.

Rutgers AD has thrown gasoline on a smoking pile of manure by declaring her enjoyment at layoffs at the Star Ledger (another paper). Expect more because if you mess with one newspaper, you mess with them all. I am not being anti-Rutgers; but, they absolutely need to something about this AD, especially as my tax dollars go to her salary

http://www.northjersey.com/news/sul...vied-around-nation-especially-in-n-j-1.857707

Reaction Score
This makes absolutely no sense and is contradictory. The vote was about clearing out the old leadership and starting anew with football in the lead. Notre Dame voted against that. In fact, it was Notre Dame's vote that reinstated the old leadership!!!!!

It was a tie and Kevin White cast the deciding vote? Even if true this all voters would be equally responsible.

Reaction Score
That's why I asked.

There was supposed to be a split in 2004. But the bball schools, instead of equitably splitting assets, insisted that it was all theirs. The football schools had the votes initially to push through an equitable division. But when ND voted with the Catholics, there could be no split. It wasn't a 50/50 thing since bylaws required a 2/3rds majority. The football schools couldn't leave not only because of the hundreds of millions in assets left behind (which they could have given up) but because they wanted legacy rights to the conference since the BCS bid was contractually tied to the BE.

The football schools wanted to split but couldn't for that reason.

Reaction Score
There was supposed to be a split in 2004. But the bball schools, instead of equitably splitting assets, insisted that it was all theirs. The football schools had the votes initially to push through an equitable division. But when ND voted with the Catholics, there could be no split. It wasn't a 50/50 thing since bylaws required a 2/3rds majority. The football schools couldn't leave not only because of the hundreds of millions in assets left behind (which they could have given up) but because they wanted legacy rights to the conference since the BCS bid was contractually tied to the BE.

The football schools wanted to split but couldn't for that reason.

That sounds like the fundamental problem that the bball and football schools couldn't cooperate. I don't see your point though. We would have left with the Catholic schools for Olympic sports. UConn would go with the football schools. In any case we were not joining either half as full members

Reaction Score
That sounds like the fundamental problem that the bball and football schools couldn't cooperate. I don't see your point though. We would have left with the Catholic schools for Olympic sports. UConn would go with the football schools. In any case we were not joining either half as full members

ND, as a member that was not fully invested, should have stayed out of it. Catholic Olympic sports?

Reaction Score
attachment.php
I think it has more to do with when this was taken If you think Florida or Michigan care more about basketball than football, you're crazy.

Reaction Score
I think it has more to do with when this was taken If you think Florida or Michigan care more about basketball than football, you're crazy.
Yeah, I'm not sure Izzo makes the most now, and Wisconsin has a new football coach.

Reaction Score

You are correct. I checked Florida and as of Dec of 2013 Jimbo was making 4 million and the Florida BB coach was making 3.7, before that jimbo made 2.7 . So the information was accurate up until 5 months ago. It still shows you what parts of the country value certain sports and other parts that pay non sports related employees more. Clearly the NE part of the country is different than the rest of the country, that was what I noticed about the map.

Reaction Score
You are correct. I checked Florida and as of Dec of 2013 Jimbo was making 4 million and the Florida BB coach was making 3.7, before that jimbo made 2.7 . So the information was accurate up until 5 months ago. It still shows you what parts of the country value certain sports and other parts that pay non sports related employees more. Clearly the NE part of the country is different than the rest of the country, that was what I noticed about the map.
Well, the rest of the country loves college football more than New England for a couple of reasons. First, even though the first football teams of any note were in the northeast (Yale, Princeton, Harvard), those schools were all private, and all refused to sublimate academics to football. Also, the wealth of different private schools in the north meant there weren't as many alumni from schools like UConn and UMass in administrations, and that made the support--both in fans and in money--more diffuse.

But there was rabid interest in the northeast in the older days, and the love New Englanders and New Yorkers have for the Pats/Giants/Jets rivals anything you see anywhere. So I think it's just a matter of tapping into it. You bring in Michigan/Ohio State/Penn State/Nebraska/Michigan State/Wisconsin...you better believe there will be people at the rent. Replace those with other great football schools (Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, etc.) and you'll see the same.

They just need good competition, on a consistent basis, and they will tap into a huge fanbase. Maybe not as large or as rabid as some of those schools listed above, but better than many seem to suspect--especially since a number of people in the state have already been converted to UConn fans--even if they aren't alum--because of basketball. It's an easy transition. The recent (relative) decline of Notre Dame and Penn State only helps them as well.

Reaction Score
But, when the C& broke away where did ND go? Thats right the ACC. And they went where SU, Pitt, and UL went? Hmm they didn't stick around to support the NBE??? Wow and yet when the football schools wanted to leave ND said no... but hey they didn't do anything wrong...and I mean this, they didn't do anything wrong but they are a Catholic University - hmmm so they go to the ACC, reunited with BC, VT, and Miami. But recall these schools didn't attract ND otherwise they may have asked to join the ACC much sooner. Only after the rift in the Big East did ND leave. A rift that ND did try to stop through legalities but not through any real Construction.

Reaction Score
But, when the C& broke away where did ND go? Thats right the ACC. And they went where SU, Pitt, and UL went? Hmm they didn't stick around to support the NBE??? Wow and yet when the football schools wanted to leave ND said no... but hey they didn't do anything wrong...and I mean this, they didn't do anything wrong but they are a Catholic University - hmmm so they go to the ACC, reunited with BC, VT, and Miami. But recall these schools didn't attract ND otherwise they may have asked to join the ACC much sooner. Only after the rift in the Big East did ND leave. A rift that ND did try to stop through legalities but not through any real Construction.

Oh ND will go where they get the best deal. That's what every school like Nebraska, TCU, and Utah did. But that doesn't say much about the OBE and their inability to balance football with bball. btw if your conference could really be wrecked by a partial member then it wasn't viable to begin with.

and Andrew, yes there was a 60 years gap inbetween the retreat of the Iveys and the rise of UCONN football. That was a bit too much for BC to carry alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom