If not UConn... | The Boneyard

If not UConn...

Reaction Score
Lets say your daughter was a top 20 prospect coming out of high school. If UConn were not an option (through no fault of hers) where would you like her to go? What other coach would best maximize her basketball potential? Would it change depending upon position played?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think for me what part of the country do you live in is almost as important so that I could go to the games to watch her and the team play. As I live in CT, my choice would be Maryland with Brenda who seems to also develop a good atmosphere.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Lets say your daughter was a top 20 prospect coming out of high school. If UConn were not an option (through no fault of hers) where would you like her to go? What other coach would best maximize her basketball potential? Would it change depending upon position played?

Is UCONN not an option because she is not good enough to get an offer? If so, it's HER fault for not being a better player.

Reaction Score
IMHO, under no circumstances would I send a player with outstanding potential, a UCONN-type HS player, to:
Brenda Frese- I would not submit any potential star to BF's pre-game BS!
The Muffett- With many chances has only one title that UCONN gave her in 2001!
Kim Mulkey- won only one title with supposedly the greatest difference maker, Brittany Griner, & didn't prepare for L'ville!
Dawn Staley- great player that cannot coach up to her player level!
J. P. McCallie- Anyone that cannot remember players' names can't get best out of players talent!

I do appreciate
Scott Rueck at Ore. St.
Gary Blair at TX A&M
Vic Shaefer at Miss. St.
Mike Neighbors at Washington
Tara Vanderveer at Stanford
Karen Aston at TX
Sherri Coale at Okla
Doug Bruno at DePaul

Reaction Score
my vote would be Louisville though depending on how good she is (were saying not good enough for UCONN so...) if she is good but not Louisville level talent I would also go with USF

Reaction Score
IMHO, under no circumstances would I send a player with outstanding potential, a UCONN-type HS player, to:
Kim Mulkey- won only one title with supposedly the greatest difference maker, Brittany Griner, & didn't prepare for L'ville!
J. P. McCallie- Anyone that cannot remember players' names can't get best out of players talent!

I do appreciate
Scott Rueck at Ore. St.
Gary Blair at TX A&M
Vic Shaefer at Miss. St.
Karen Aston at TX
Sherri Coale at Okla
Doug Bruno at DePaul
Never ever would I want my kid at Baylor. Don't like how she treated Griner being gay and she is out coached by far less talent. Muffet is good not great and I think you are dead on about Staley they don't normally impress me no matter what their rank

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I do appreciate
Scott Rueck at Ore. St.
Gary Blair at TX A&M
Vic Shaefer at Miss. St.
Karen Aston at TX
Sherri Coale at Okla
Doug Bruno at DePaul

I guess Mulkey will have to win another one this season so that hopefully she can land one of those top 20 recruits not good enough to get an offer from UCONN.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If I had a top 20 daughter who COULD make onto a UCONN team I would still advise her to go to Stanford or Harvard.

One injury and a career can be over. I've ever never known a player to have an academic career ending injury. I'll take the education.

Reaction Score
In my hypothetical, she IS UConn good, but for a reason I can't quite imagine can't go there. (Maybe UConn maxed out their scholarships early? )
More asking about your respect for other programs,coaches, and schools.

Reaction Score
Stanford, ND, Princeton

Reaction Score
Sigh. I continue to rail against the facile belief that sending a kid to a so-called prestigious university somehow guarantees that they will get a better education. They will not! Every college offers fantastic opportunities for students who want to learn and offers nothing but chances to slide through to students who don't want to learn.

Yes, prestigious degrees do get you your first job interview. But after that, you're own your own in life. Just ask all those Ivy graduates fighting for jobs in Silicon Valley.

Do not be fooled. Let your kid determine what are the 3 best basketball programs she might want to play for. Then let her spend 2 days (overnight in the dorms) at each of them. She should talk with non-athletes as well. Where she thinks she will be happiest is where she will learn the most. At the end of those visits, she should decide by trusting her gut.

Will that always be the right choice? of course not. Life is full of mistakes. But it's by far the best chance to get it right the first time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sigh. I continue to rail against the facile belief that sending a kid to a so-called prestigious university somehow guarantees that they will get a better education. They will not! Every college offers fantastic opportunities for students who want to learn and offers nothing but chances to slide through to students who don't want to learn.

Yes, prestigious degrees do get you your first job interview. But after that, you're own your own in life. Just ask all those Ivy graduates fighting for jobs in Silicon Valley.

Do not be fooled. Let your kid determine what are the 3 best basketball programs she might want to play for. Then let her spend 2 days (overnight in the dorms) at each of them. She should talk with non-athletes as well. Where she thinks she will be happiest is where she will learn the most. At the end of those visits, she should decide by trusting her gut.

Will that always be the right choice? of course not. Life is full of mistakes. But it's by far the best chance to get it right the first time.
Conceptually I agree with you put my recent experience tells me otherwise. What I think you and most people tend to severely underestimate is the is the amount of time and commitment that it takes to be a member of a top ten WBB program. This often all encompassing commitment leaves little time to interact with the rest of student body. A WBB player at UCONN or any other top 10 program talking to a non-athlete is of little practical value because the student experiences are so vastly different. It is different right from the beginning with the scheduling of classes. While Non-athletes jockey to get their favorite (sometime easy) professors a scholarship athlete classes are largely selected so as to not conflict with practices & games.

Reaction Score
Conceptually I agree with you put my recent experience tells me otherwise. What I think you and most people tend to severely underestimate is the is the amount of time and commitment that it takes to be a member of a top ten WBB program. This often all encompassing commitment leaves little time to interact with the rest of student body. A WBB player at UCONN or any other top 10 program talking to a non-athlete is of little practical value because the student experiences are so vastly different. It is different right from the beginning with the scheduling of classes. While Non-athletes jockey to get their favorite (sometime easy) professors a scholarship athlete classes are largely selected so as to not conflict with practices & games.
I agree with you, Coco. As someone who has taught many athletes (at least one of whom is currently playing professionally), I see this all the time. They even sit together (and often away from other students) in class. But I do believe that athletes need to have the opportunity for those interactions and they do exist--though certainly not to the extent as happens in the general student population.

But what frustrates me is the belief that going to the highest ranks colleges equates with getting the best education. Certainly, the very best, most highly motivated students do get the best opportunities offered them at the highest-ranked schools. Note my phrasing: "offered them." They are available everywhere, if you want it, though far easier to get at these schools. But precisely because D-1 athletes spend so much of their time in athletic endeavors, they do not nearly so often take advantage of what is "offered." Happy students learn the most. Go where you think you will be happiest.

Reaction Score
my vote would be Louisville though depending on how good she is (were saying not good enough for UCONN so...) if she is good but not Louisville level talent I would also go with USF

svetbird- - -By mistake,I'm almost 70 and the mind is floating away, I left off Jeff Walz of L'ville as a coach I appreciate as a HC!
He got Brenda Frese her 2006 NC!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
svetbird- - -By mistake,I'm almost 70 and the mind is floating away, I left off Jeff Walz of L'ville as a coach I appreciate as a HC!
He got Brenda Frese her 2006 NC!
@RSHERMVIKES you may be.... on this one.
upload_2017-1-16_12-15-10.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom