If not for serious Injuries.. | The Boneyard

If not for serious Injuries..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Uconn Injured Players 2.jpg

If not for serious injuries.. These Former Huskies would have seen success at an entirely different level on the basketball court and might have taken the UCONN huskies program to even greater heights.. Limited physically throughout their careers at Storrs, one can only imagine.. Did I miss anyone off the list?

Reaction Score
Not sure how seriously Jayne Appel's dad was injured.
Uconn might have done better at many levels (from recruiting another big to winning another NC) without that injury.
Does anyone have a picture of the injured parent?

Reaction Score
Not sure how seriously Jayne Appel's dad was injured.
Uconn might have done better at many levels (from recruiting another big to winning another NC) without that injury.
Does anyone have a picture of the injured parent?
Right behind her...
upload_2016-12-17_13-20-4.png

“You certainly, when you’re having shootaround the day of the game, don’t expect to see security guards and police come in and lead your recruit, telling you that we’ve got a problem,” Auriemma said. “And you realize that her father’s in the hospital going to have screws into his ankles because he broke it in your building. That’s not the winning edge, I don’t think.”

At least the Appels did gain some notice from the trip. “We made his book,” a fully recuperated Joseph said of Auriemma. “On Page 283, or something like that.”

Reaction Score

Not that it matters much, but the CT Post list of season-ending injuries/illnesses has one error. Heather Buck had mono at the start of her freshman year but was cleared to play before Christmas. However, since she really wasn't ready to contribute anyway, Geno and she agreed that she would sit out the year (a true redshirt) and preserve a year of eligibility. However, from a medical perspective she could have seen playing time for the last three months of the season.

Reaction Score
Another effect of injuries - Shea and Svet were both injured and freshman Diana couldn't do it all alone in the 2000-2001 NCAA tournament. UConn lost to ND in the Semis. Maybe without the injuries, they beat ND and win the finals, too. If so, UConn would already be a five-years-in-a-row NCAA champion!

Reaction Score
Not that it matters much, but the CT Post list of season-ending injuries/illnesses has one error. Heather Buck had mono at the start of her freshman year but was cleared to play before Christmas. However, since she really wasn't ready to contribute anyway, Geno and she agreed that she would sit out the year (a true redshirt) and preserve a year of eligibility. However, from a medical perspective she could have seen playing time for the last three months of the season.

Although not sick or injured, Jessica Moore redshirt her freshman year as well

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Although not sick or injured, Jessica Moore redshirt her freshman year as well
I'm not sure that is in line with the premise of this thread. Jess started playing basketball late and was very raw when she came to UConn. I think she might have hurt the team if she'd played her freshman year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that is in line with the premise of this thread. Jess started playing basketball late and was very raw when she came to UConn. I think she might have hurt the team if she'd played her freshman year.
That team was strong with post players as well - Williams, Jones, Cash, Schumacher, Rigby and initially with Sveta and Shea also outside in players so she would likely have been anchored to the bench.
Another effect of injuries - Shea and Svet were both injured and freshman Diana couldn't do it all alone in the 2000-2001 NCAA tournament. UConn lost to ND in the Semis. Maybe without the injuries, they beat ND and win the finals, too. If so, UConn would already be a five-years-in-a-row NCAA champion!
Diana didn't need to do it alone, and the team probably would have done better if she didn't try - if Sue, Swin, Asjha, and Tamika had taken a few of those shots D was missing, the result might have been better - the great DT shot Uconn out of that particular game. She certainly redeemed herself, but ... :eek::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Sveta was one that I was going to mention as well - her senior season she was still voted a first team AA though she only played 19 games - that is some serious respect from the voters.

Svetie--was a loss---the loss of Shea alone wasn't a disaster but adding Svetlana Abrasamosa to this list was big.
Svet and Shea were buddies and that team had great chemistry on the court.
Remember the trips to Italy and the chemistry the teams came back with?/?
Svet--was a pleasure to watch. Shea was just plain tough!!

Reaction Score
That team was strong with post players as well - Williams, Jones, Cash, Schumacher, Rigby and initially with Sveta and Shea also outside in players so she would likely have been anchored to the bench.

Diana didn't need to do it alone, and the team probably would have done better if she didn't try - if Sue, Swin, Asjha, and Tamika had taken a few of those shots D was missing, the result might have been better - the great DT shot Uconn out of that particular game. She certainly redeemed herself, but ... :eek::rolleyes:

That game stays with us---because of the 15 point half time lead. Don't fault DT for the many missed shots--Geno, to his credit, believes great shoots shall eventually start hitting --and they usually do , watch KLS, but that game was DT's first REAlly big game. I always though Maria could have hit half of DT's misses-----but we forget Muffet and Riley and a few really good to great players on ND's team.
It was a game to prove you can't win them all.

Big Rigg---when told she fouled someone she told the refs---I don't foul them---I roof em! Love that girl..

Reaction Score
Jessica Moore was a project--the redshirting of her by Geno was a gift--Christine took charge of Moore and created a pretty fair center--who in a couple of years developed a lot of self confidence--thanks to Geno and Christine.

Reaction Score
How would Jessica Moore have hurt the team if she played?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
How would Jessica Moore have hurt the team if she played?
Because Asjha or Tamika would have come out for her and because she was too raw and inexperienced. That 2001-02 team was a well-oiled machine.

Reaction Score
Because Asjha or Tamika would have come out for her and because she was too raw and inexperienced. That 2001-02 team was a well-oiled machine.
It was the right move to redshirt Moore because they were loaded. If they didnt she would have played in a mop-up role at the end of the game. Asjha and Tamika would have still received their minutes and no she would not have hurt the team. It would have hurt only Jessica.

Reaction Score
Injury free and came here like she wanted could have been Uconns best post ever! ( One instance the parents were wrong ) and this happens more than people think.

Brittany Hunter is the player I often wonder "what if she wasn't injured". She would have been something special and definitely "Wall of Fame" material.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I think Shea Ralph, tops the list as a UCONN player derailed by Injuries...
She Impacted the game from day one, Pat Summit hated seeing her while in uniform..
She was fearless, Confident and gifted.. :)

Reaction Score
Brittany Hunter is the player I often wonder "what if she wasn't injured". She would have been something special and definitely "Wall of Fame" material.

I often wonder if Brittany Hunter were not injured, would she have stayed at Duke.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sveta was one that I was going to mention as well - her senior season she was still voted a first team AA though she only played 19 games - that is some serious respect from the voters.
She was as dominating as I've ever seen in WCBB in those games though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom