IF ND joins ACC for all sports: Uconn vs. Rutgers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

IF ND joins ACC for all sports: Uconn vs. Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The ACC has passed on WVU twice. Oliver Luck called the ACC this time and really pushed and the ACC passed again. They have no interest in WVU.
Vtech and UVA would not allow it.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
ND is a better fit for the ACC. In football, ND could legitimately compete for the conference title yearly. Not so in the Big 10. This will be a major point in ND's decision. Football is king for ND.

For other sports, ND fit in well as others have stated. ND men's and women's bb will compete on a regular basis for the conference titles.

With the rivalries we have the ND in basketball, they would definitely want us with them. Rutgers does not stack up.

As to BC, Miami and maybe FSU, but specifically BC, ND will tell them to sit down and shut up. BC has no credibility after Flipper's outburst.

They key for both the ACC and ND is working through ND's tv contract with NBC for its remainder. I believe that one is doable to the satisfaction of all.

Reaction Score
Rutgers is a player in the NYC market. But the NYC market is pretty much a weak college football market. Rutgers basketball? Really?

If they Rutgers over UConn then the ACC has gone full retard.

Reaction Score
Who would ND support in Uconn VS Rutgers
i would think they would prefer to play in nj every other year vs. going to e hartford. espcially if they are playing 80 miles up the road in boston with the same frequency. Will their memory of Uconn not buying into their offer to play
a series with the Uconn home games at Gillette and the Meadowlands. Proabably a push because Rutgers pulled the same thing on ND 6 months before.
Clearly Uconns Olympic sports are for the most part at a higher level than Rutgersadvantage Uconn.
My concern would be the BC relationship with ND football goes back to mid 70s
Hockey almost as long and BC was a driving force in convincing some HockeyEast members to welcome ND to the league.
probably the most important item may be the relationship between Fr Jenkins and Leahy which goes back to the late 80s when bothstudied out in ca. it is my understanding that the 2 are very good friends.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
UConn and ND's basketball and baseball coaches are very close. I think that will help our cause if they campaign for us.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame would have zero say in who else the ACC chooses.

That I disagree with. We know that ND is negotiating "terms" with the ACC, Big Ten and Big XII, and will then make a decision. If ND wants the terms to the ACC to include who comes in with it and what the northern division looks like, that will be bargained for along with everything else ND wants.

Not saying ND will make the choice, but surely they will express their desires and the leagues will consider them since they are in effect bidding on the Irish.

Reaction Score
I'm afraid if ND goes to ACC all sports, ACC will select Rutgers based on FB potential as far as fan base and recruit market.

Ct is not much of a base for FB recruits compared to NJ, and I don't think we'll see a waiting list for season tickets or stadium expansion anytime soon.

ACC does not need UConn for basketball......they are doing fine right now.

Reaction Score
That I disagree with. We know that ND is negotiating "terms" with the ACC, Big Ten and Big XII, and will then make a decision. If ND wants the terms to the ACC to include who comes in with it and what the northern division looks like, that will be bargained for along with everything else ND wants.

Not saying ND will make the choice, but surely they will express their desires and the leagues will consider them since they are in effect bidding on the Irish.

Agreed. If ND said to ACC, we will come but we want Uconn (or Rutgers or some school that is reasonable as a member), I can't imagine the ACC would not take that into account and pass on ND over the issue.

Reaction Score
I'm afraid if ND goes to ACC all sports, ACC will select Rutgers based on FB potential as far as fan base and recruit market.

Ct is not much of a base for FB recruits compared to NJ, and I don't think we'll see a waiting list for season tickets or stadium expansion anytime soon.

All possible, but:

1. I don't know that there is a material difference between RU's fanbase and ours. What is their average attendance -- 5k more than us? With them having just finished stadium expansion and us having plans to expand? I can't see that small a difference being meaningful.

2. All the ACC schools from North Carolina up already recruit Jersey. Making RU their partner is increasing Rutger's prestige, and making them more of a force in NJ recruiting. I don't think recruiting will drive the decision, but if I'm Maryland or Syracuse I'd much rather have UConn in the league than Rutgers precisely because I think it will help me pull recruits out of NJ.

Reaction Score
My magic 8 ball says if ND goes to the ACC, it's UConn "Outlook good". If ND goes to the Big 10, Rutgers "You may rely on it".

The magic 8 ball is never wrong.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My magic 8 ball says if ND goes to the ACC, it's UConn "Outlook good". If ND goes to the Big 10, Rutgers "You may rely on it".

The magic 8 ball is never wrong.

The magic 8 ball is likely correct. Unless of course, the B1G pulls the rabbit out of its hat and sweeps in ND, RU, UConn and Missouri.

Reaction Score
The magic 8 ball is likely correct. Unless of course, the B1G pulls the rabbit out of its hat and sweeps in ND, RU, UConn and Missouri.
I checked that, reply "Don't count on it".

Reaction Score
Moving product is what it's all about.

Nope. Ever see how royalties impact the bottom line compared to TV $$$. There's a 10 to 1 difference. If you have a good product, and you advertise well, you should be able to sell more with more eyeballs. And that's what TV $$$ are all about.

That's why Silver's exercise is odd. We already know the Nielsen ratings.

Reaction Score
if BCU adds no value to the ACC, couldnt they just pull the same thing that the big east did to temple, and just show them the exit?

the ACC would then be able to add UConn, Rutgers, and Notre Dame and they would win on all levels

1. secure the notre dame football brand
2. bring in UConn basketball, lock up the "top" college basketball conference
3. secure the New York/New England market with the addition of all three schools (ND has a huge following in the area, Connecticut obviously locks up CT, and Rutgers delivers NJ and part of NYC)
4. Locks up the East Coast from CT all the way down to Florida...creates continuity and stability for the conference
5. Everybody happy

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
if BCU adds no value to the ACC, couldnt they just pull the same thing that the big east did to temple, and just show them the exit?

the ACC would then be able to add UConn, Rutgers, and Notre Dame and they would win on all levels

1. secure the notre dame football brand
2. bring in UConn basketball, lock up the "top" college basketball conference
3. secure the New York/New England market with the addition of all three schools (ND has a huge following in the area, Connecticut obviously locks up CT, and Rutgers delivers NJ and part of NYC)
4. Locks up the East Coast from CT all the way down to Florida...creates continuity and stability for the conference
5. Everybody happy

I would literally jump up and do a happy dance if this ever came to fruition.

Reaction Score
Temple was never a "member" of the Big East. They were an associate member that only participated in football decisions. It is not the same thing and, as funny as it would be, it's not going to happen.

Reaction Score

ND, and any other national program, does not need to have a conference partner in NJ in order to recruit NJ.

Penn State, ND, and many other schools have been taking the best kids out of NJ for decades. In fact, Rutgers NOT playing BCS football will guarantee that continues indefinitely.

FB potential, fanbase size, and who is more popular in NYC is all debatable. Recruiting, however, will have no impact on the decision.

Reaction Score
Football is equal. We are light years ahead of Rutgers and right there with Dook and UNC in hoops. Tops in women's hoops. We also bring top notch men's and women's soccer which ND and the ACC care about to a degree. I think ND will push for UConn with them. I also think that the Flipper hurt BCU in that other AD's/Presidents were puzzled by his vitriol after all these years. In short, ND will be Uconn's ally if it comes to the ACC.

The ACC football schools will be happy with ND. The hoops schools will be satisfied with Uconn. It is a nice balance for each side. Rutgers nrings very little to either side. They are a filler.

Our baseball and Track teams aren't too shabby either. It's just a good academic and athletic fit, and the geography ain't bad either. But if they don't want us, or choose to listen to the Chestnut Hill gang then we move on.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
with regards to academics, UCONN has been on the rise big time the past 5 years. we are up to 58 in US News rankings, and RU is down to 68. not a huge deal maybe, but add in the $450 million health center partnership at the UCONN Medical Center in Farmington and the other investment projects on campus UCONN is involved with and i have to imagine our rankings will continue to slowly rise.

not saying that would be a deciding factor, but when you compare everything about the 2 schools currently, then look at the future potential, and i think UCONN is a much better choice.

Reaction Score
Calhoun is Irish. ND will want UConn to join them in the ACC. See how simple that was?

Reaction Score
I worry that Rutgers could be the choice but, I think my fears are unfounded. UConn is a marquee name in both men's and women's basketball. If you leave UConn out, you miss the opportunity to completely and indisputably wrap up the "best basketball conference" title. If ND goes somewhere other than the ACC, the ACC should take UConn and seriously consider Louisville as well. Rutgers just doesn't have any cache. UConn will own more NYC market share as the football program evolves. UConn will win in football. Winning is a choice. You make the investment and commitment to it and Herbst is clearly ready to do that.

"UConn will win in football"
Hope you are right about that but if they are going to win recruiting better pick up.

Reaction Score
BC: (To ND) "Yo, we are all for Jesus right? Listen, the Jesuits would really like to add RU because we really want to own all of New England for...well...Jesus. You like Jesus, right?"
ND: "I do like Jesus and I know you would do the same for us if OSU or Mich was on the table. No, we're cool RU, no problem. I'll just tell them we will join if we go in with RU".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom