IF ND joins ACC for all sports: Uconn vs. Rutgers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

IF ND joins ACC for all sports: Uconn vs. Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Is there a more anti-Christ state than NJ? Well, maybe MA.........

The bluest state in the nation (CT) is also the 3rd most Catholic state in the Nation.

RI, MA, CT, NI, NY in that order.

Bluest states by Presidential elections
Bluest states by Congressonal Delegation
1) Connecticut

Catholics are green. The SEC and ND don't have much in common. Either does the B12 if you take away the border immigrant Catholics

url4rhe0q0u34rstce4ffa.jpg

Reaction Score
My feeling is that Notre Dame has made a huge miscalculation. Notre Dame is who they are because of independence. If they join a conference like the Big 10 and expect to keep any of their big OOC games they are borderline bowl eligable every year. They are just not that good. Their best shot was joining the Big East where they would compete for BCS bids every year. No matter what league they end up in now they are the 4th or 5th best team at best and would have to schedule easy wins for the OOC. For Notre Dame they need to be Independant but they are going to be forced into a conference and they will cease to be relevent. ACC is their next best shot at having any chance to remain relevent. They will only survive on reputation for so long in a conference where they are just another team. Thats why them joing the ACC in a North Division is UConns best hope. Thats the Only way ND remains with any kind of football strength, by allowing them to at a minimum compete for a shot at the ACC title every year. I understand the Fit of the Big 10 for them but it would leave them as an also ran for years to come.

Reaction Score
All possible, but:

1. I don't know that there is a material difference between RU's fanbase and ours. What is their average attendance -- 5k more than us? With them having just finished stadium expansion and us having plans to expand? I can't see that small a difference being meaningful.

2. All the ACC schools from North Carolina up already recruit Jersey. Making RU their partner is increasing Rutger's prestige, and making them more of a force in NJ recruiting. I don't think recruiting will drive the decision, but if I'm Maryland or Syracuse I'd much rather have UConn in the league than Rutgers precisely because I think it will help me pull recruits out of NJ.

Something that plays against Rutgers is that their university is in an uproar over the impact of sports on their academic budget. There is a strong anti-football sentiment on campus right now. That could make them less appealable (if that's possible ...) to any conference.

Reaction Score
with regards to academics, UCONN has been on the rise big time the past 5 years. we are up to 58 in US News rankings, and RU is down to 68. not a huge deal maybe, but add in the $450 million health center partnership at the UCONN Medical Center in Farmington and the other investment projects on campus UCONN is involved with and i have to imagine our rankings will continue to slowly rise.

not saying that would be a deciding factor, but when you compare everything about the 2 schools currently, then look at the future potential, and i think UCONN is a much better choice.

Unfortunately, this won't mean anything for about 10-20 years, when those bright young students are in hiring positions at major corporations. It takes time to improve an academic reputation, which is based in large part on the people working in positions of power in various industries.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Something that plays against Rutgers is that their university is in an uproar over the impact of sports on their academic budget. There is a strong anti-football sentiment on campus right now. That could make them less appealable (if that's possible ...) to any conference.

Good point. Here's a USA Today article on the subject with a nifty link to an interactive chart a quarter of the way down.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2011-06-28-rutgers-athletic-department-subsidies_n.htm

Reaction Score
It is one thing to call yourself a Catholic or a Christian and another thing to actually live your life as a Catholic or Christian. I don't see a lot of people in NJ, CT or MA "doing what Jesus would do" (just drive on the highways or get in line at the grocery store on a weekend) or voting in accordance with the catechism set forth by the pope. I have an aunt who is a preachy "look at me" Catholic but when asked how she can vote for a pro-abortion democrat when the pope says that life is the #1 issue upon which Catholics should base their votes, she immediately goes into the "a woman should be allowed to do what she wants with her body" liberal talking points. What really matters to her are the entitlement programs that she will get from the government. So while NJ, CT and MA may be the greenest states, they are also loaded with the highest percentage of hypocrites. If you want to be a pro-abortion liberal, fine. Just don't claim to be a devout Catholic too because that just isn't possible.

The bluest state in the nation (CT) is also the 3rd most Catholic state in the Nation.

RI, MA, CT, NI, NY in that order.

Bluest states by Presidential elections
Bluest states by Congressonal Delegation

1) Connecticut

Catholics are green. The SEC and ND don't have much in common. Either does the B12 if you take away the border immigrant Catholics

url4rhe0q0u34rstce4ffa.jpg

Reaction Score
It is one thing to call yourself a Catholic or a Christian and another thing to actually live your life as a Catholic or Christian. I don't see a lot of people in NJ, CT or MA "doing what Jesus would do" (just drive on the highways or get in line at the grocery store on a weekend) or voting in accordance with the catechism set forth by the pope. I have an aunt who is a preachy "look at me" Catholic but when asked how she can vote for a pro-abortion democrat when the pope says that life is the #1 issue upon which Catholics should base their votes, she immediately goes into the "a woman should be allowed to do what she wants with her body" liberal talking points. What really matters to her are the entitlement programs that she will get from the government. So while NJ, CT and MA may be the greenest states, they are also loaded with the highest percentage of hypocrites. If you want to be a pro-abortion liberal, fine. Just don't claim to be a devout Catholic too because that just isn't possible.

I don't get it. Wasn't the previous poster's point about the fact that many self-identified catholics were in those states, and thus were naturally attracted to Notre Dame? I'm not entirely sure how states "doing what Jesus would do" have to do with that. Whether or not they live up to their ideals (and we all fail at that, it's what makes us human), his point is right. More self identified Catholics do statistically live in those NE states.

While I'm not at all trying to start something that belongs on the Cesspool (seriously, I'm not). There is no state government (or federal government) that is in accordance with Jesus. Go with abortion in the Northeast, death penalty down South and Texas, a super desire for money just about everywhere, everyone judging everyone, a lack of concern about the poor, the Vatican against "enhanced interrogation" that many people are okay with. Nobody lives up to the J-Man, and no government is supposed to. He was apolitical (render unto Caesar what is his), and no party can really encompass all of what he did without contradictions.

Reaction Score
I don't get it. Wasn't the previous poster's point about the fact that many self-identified catholics were in those states, and thus were naturally attracted to Notre Dame? I'm not entirely sure how states "doing what Jesus would do" have to do with that. Whether or not they live up to their ideals (and we all fail at that, it's what makes us human), his point is right. More self identified Catholics do statistically live in those NE states.

While I'm not at all trying to start something that belongs on the Cesspool (seriously, I'm not). There is no state government (or federal government) that is in accordance with Jesus. Go with abortion in the Northeast, death penalty down South and Texas, a super desire for money just about everywhere, everyone judging everyone, a lack of concern about the poor, the Vatican against "enhanced interrogation" that many people are okay with. Nobody lives up to the J-Man, and no government is supposed to. He was apolitical (render unto Caesar what is his), and no party can really encompass all of what he did without contradictions.

I don't disagree. I was just pointing out that it is one thing to self-identify and another to actually walk the walk. But if we get back to ND, I'm not sure the Jesuits really give a damn about living up to the J-Man, as you said, either. Something about the Jesuits..........

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Druken Friar will you check:

Will aliens abduct Marinatto so that the BE can appoint a decent league president?

Reaction Score
Ted's Cheeseburger grinders pretty much did away with my no meat on Friday's thing for me. I think even the Pope would chow one of those after a Thursday night of Busch quarts at Ted's.

Reaction Score
We shouldn't forget that the Flipper anti-UConn campaign will begin again too.

You guys don't need to worry about GDF after this year. Once he lets the football team go 1-11 without firing our terrible coach he will be fired himself.

Reaction Score
With only WVU going to Big 12, BE survives and ND stays in BE. ACC stays at 14 forforseeable future.

Reaction Score
WVU is not guaranteed to go to the Big 12 now. Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky has spoken with the President of Oklahoma and the Chancellor of Texas Tech to rescind their invitation to WVU and instead consider Louisville. If that happens and Louisville is selected, instead of WVU, then WVU will still be looking for a new home. Personally, as a life-long ACC fan from Virginia, it makes the most sense for the ACC to go after UConn and WVU as the 15th and 16th members of the ACC. I know WVU has tried desperately to get into the ACC, but certain ACC snobs have said WVU does not meet the academic standards of the ACC (read that as "The television market in West Virginia is too darn small for our liking."). Seems the ACC is waiting as long as they can to get ND into the conference. I say forget that! The Presidents of the ACC member schools swallow their pride and admit that adding UConn to the ACC is a no-brainer. This ACC fan knows quality when he sees it and the UConn basketball programs deserve to be recognized for what they are: Powerhouses that deserve to shine in the ACC.

Reaction Score
WVU is not guaranteed to go to the Big 12 now. Senator Mitch Personally, as a life-long ACC fan from Virginia, it makes the most sense for the ACC to go after UConn and WVU as the 15th and 16th members of the ACC. I know WVU has tried desperately to get into the ACC, but certain ACC snobs have said WVU does not meet the academic standards of the ACC (read that as "The television market in West Virginia is too darn small for our liking.").

I agree with you about UConn and WVU to the ACC but I don't see Louisville getting the B12 invite right now after the whole McConnell thing went public. I also don't think the ACC is going to budge and ND is not joining a conference for football. New Big East is the situation for us.

Reaction Score
I see that my post is out of date now. Big 12 has made it official now: WVU will join Big 12. I still want UConn in the ACC. Wish there was something I could do to help.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I think that the ACC will be the eventual landing spot for UConn. It may take a year or two or three but it will most likely happen.

Reaction Score
I see that my post is out of date now. Big 12 has made it official now: WVU will join Big 12. I still want UConn in the ACC. Wish there was something I could do to help.

Write your senator......

Reaction Score
Write your senator......

Well, my current senator is the former governor who strong-armed UVA to accept Virginia Tech into the ACC instead of Syracuse (back in 2003). Maybe he would be willing to look into it to ensure the storied programs at UConn join what is (in my opinion) the best conference in the country. ;)

I wish to extend a hand of friendship, as a rabid ACC fan, to those of you at UConn. With what happened in 2003 between the ACC and the Big East, and the subsequent lawsuit filed by the Connecticut Attorney General at the time, I hope to see the ACC do what is right and just, and extend a long-overdue invitation to UConn.

Reaction Score
I think some point in the future UCONN will still end up in the ACC. For now, UCONN will have to survive in the new BE. This realignment thing is far from over.

As long as the new BE still got a BCS bid, I am fine with the new BE. There could be some interesting football games in the new BE.

Reaction Score
Well, my current senator is the former governor who strong-armed UVA to accept Virginia Tech into the ACC instead of Syracuse (back in 2003). Maybe he would be willing to look into it to ensure the storied programs at UConn join what is (in my opinion) the best conference in the country. ;)

I wish to extend a hand of friendship, as a rabid ACC fan, to those of you at UConn. With what happened in 2003 between the ACC and the Big East, and the subsequent lawsuit filed by the Connecticut Attorney General at the time, I hope to see the ACC do what is right and just, and extend a long-overdue invitation to UConn.

Thank you for the support. ACC North is now essentially the old BE so that's where we belong. Academically, athletically and regionally we fit right in with rest of the ACC schools. By being in the ACC, UCONN/BC football games would take it to another level. Long term wise, ACC is where UCONN will end up and most of us hope it is sooner rather than later.

I wish ND would just make its move known. ACC might as well add UCONN and RU and lock up the entire Eastern Atlantic coast.

Reaction Score
There is talk in the ACC right now, I believe initiated by the AD for UVA, to discuss the possible realignment of the divisions in the ACC. Some want to see a North-South split for divisions. Most, however, seem to favor the current Atlantic and Coastal divisions for football.

I would like to see an ACC school from my part of Virginia. However, it is laughable to even contemplate seeing William & Mary in the ACC. (and Old Dominion is a joke when it comes to academic standards) :D

I know some ACC die-hards want to see the Basketball tournament remain in Greensboro. However, I am open to see it on a rotational basis between Greensboro Coliseum and MSG.

Reaction Score
I know some ACC die-hards want to see the Basketball tournament remain in Greensboro. However, I am open to see it on a rotational basis between Greensboro Coliseum and MSG.

MSG is not happening for the ACC unless the job is finished on the Big East. If the Big East expands with the schools it is targeting then the Big East tourney will be in MSG for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom