If Kia doesn't make AA ... | The Boneyard

If Kia doesn't make AA ...

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
it will be a shame. She has had the misfortune to be the fourth best player on a team with 3 AA for 3 years. She has lost two games in 3+ years on a team that has been ranked number 1 every week but one during her entire career. While Gabby is a fabulous open court defender who uses athletic ability for dramatic pass interceptions, Kia is the better on ball defender and always locks down the opposition's top scorer. She is the heart and drive of this team for 2 years. And I've heard she can knock down a 3 once in a while.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Whether she gets the "official" AA nod or not, she's been one of the best NCAA players for years. If Geno doesn't stick her banner up next to Chris et al I'm going to think less of him.

Reaction Score
Whether she gets the "official" AA nod or not, she's been one of the best NCAA players for years. If Geno doesn't stick her banner up next to Chris et al I'm going to think less of him.

Sadly, there is no chance she gets a banner unless she is a 1st team AA. That has always been a hard and fast rule for Geno, one he has never broken. There have been other players deserving of a banner but are not on the wall.

On a positive note, there are several AA 1st teams with 10 players on them and that counts. So there is a chance she will be on the wall. On a negative note voters are reluctant to put 4 player from one a 1st team AA. Politics!

I have always contended that there should be another wall, "The Heart Of A Husky" Wall to honor players who gave there all to the team but never made 1st team AA.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sadly, there is no chance she gets a banner unless she is a 1st team AA. That has always been a hard and fast rule for Geno, one he has never broken. There have been other players deserving of a banner but are not on the wall.

On a positive note, there are several AA 1st teams with 10 players on them and that counts. So there is a chance she will be on the wall. On a negative note voters are reluctant to put 4 player from one a 1st team AA. Politics!

I have always contended that there should be another wall, "The Heart Of A Husky" Wall to honor players who gave there all to the team but never made 1st team AA.

So Chris Dailey was a UConn AA in what year?

Reaction Score
I think Kia has had a better year than Collier and Gabby, so in theory she wouldn't be victim of too many players from one team. But, there is that pre-season anointing thing Geno was talking about, and Collier and Gabby certainly have that in their favor over Kia.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So Chris Dailey was a UConn AA in what year?
She's in the hHall of Fame. I think that equals about 20 AA's. ;)

Seriously, I agree with you - there are many deserving Huskies who were never AA's and therefore not on the wall. Kia might be among the MOST deserving, but the rule is you must be on one of the post season AA teams, otherwise it means someone else needs to determine the correct criteria, and I don't think it's fair to have Geno/CD pick and choose who is "worthy". Being an AA is quantifiable and it's something awarded by non-UCONN people.

I agree with you in theory, but the reality is that it's best to have the wall of honor be reserved for former UCONN players who earn All American honors...

Reaction Score
She's in the hHall of Fame. I think that equals about 20 AA's. ;)

Seriously, I agree with you - there are many deserving Huskies who were never AA's and therefore not on the wall. Kia might be among the MOST deserving, but the rule is you must be on one of the post season AA teams, otherwise it means someone else needs to determine the correct criteria, and I don't think it's fair to have Geno/CD pick and choose who is "worthy". Being an AA is quantifiable and it's something awarded by non-UCONN people.

I agree with you in theory, but the reality is that it's best to have the wall of honor be reserved for former UCONN players who earn All American honors...
In a way Geno does pick who’s worthy, at least in years where there are more than 3 potential AAs. I believe the sole criteria for HOH is WBCA AA, and Geno can only nominate 3 players. If he were to nominate Kia this year, who does he leave off?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
but the reality is that it's best to have the wall of honor be reserved for former UCONN players who earn All American honors...

The only point I was trying to make, without appearing "ridicules" to someone who has a copy of the bylaws I never got, was that being a player designated AA by some folks who do that every year, and limit the number from any one team, is not a requisite to capture the banner; Geno's secret society put Chris Dailey up there and dispelled that myth. Nice gesture that I heartily endorse. But there are clearly no rules like we thought existed.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rocky , come on now. Where did that come from ? How many times I got to tell you to put that bottle down.

Some of you hve you AEH, for whatever reason. I have my Kia Nurse and I like where I'm sitting! ;)

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
I have always contended that there should be another wall, "The Heart Of A Husky" Wall to honor players who gave there all to the team but never made 1st team AA.[/QUOTE]
Why don't we just make a Participation Wall? That way no one feels left out.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry about this. It is all up to Geno and how he feels. Knowing what he did for N. Sales years ago, I kind of guess what he will do for Kia. Of course this is just me trying to think like Geno, but I would say that he will name the three players for AA honors the way he always did and I am pretty sure Kia will be named to at least one, probably the WCBA. The AP might have a different 3.

Geno will do his best to get her on the wall, the right way. No back door.

Reaction Score
IF she is one of three nominated by UConn, she will be on the All-American team. Her fate rests with the team’s coaches and I wouldn’t bet against her. Pheesa is already on the wall; she would have no problem giving Kia that chance. Lou and Gabby are givens as the best players in the team.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
a truly ridicules comment with regards to CD. the AA requirement was is and most likely will always be for players
As Sgt Hulka said in Stripes...”Lighten up, Francis!”, we occasionally show humor on this forum and in Rocky’s case, very rarely does he show humor, I mean he tries but...:rolleyes:

Sorry, Rock, it’s a backhanded “sticking up for ya” type support...:)

Reaction Score
The X-factor may be USF Coach Jose Fernandez, who if I recall and believe what I read on the site, is a 10-Player AA committee member. I don't know if there's more than one such committee. He had a lot of praise for Kia after she shut down his best a shooter, and he and Geno seem to be very respectful of each other. It may be Geno's call and, considering all the superlatives he's thrown Kia's way and her consistency for four years (which no other player can claim), plus the fact that this is last chance as a Senior, I wouldn't be surprised if she got the nod. Phee's been great, but really only recently. I don't know; maybe Geno just leaves the Canadian flag up.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
As Sgt Hulka said in Stripes...”Lighten up, Francis!”, we occasionally show humor on this forum and in Rocky’s case, very rarely does he show humor, I mean he tries but...:rolleyes:

Sorry, Rock, it’s a backhanded “sticking up for ya” type support...:)
That is what my Dad would call a "left handed compliment". Rocky, with friends like these... ;)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
it will be a shame. She has had the misfortune to be the fourth best player on a team with 3 AA for 3 years. She has lost two games in 3+ years on a team that has been ranked number 1 every week but one during her entire career. While Gabby is a fabulous open court defender who uses athletic ability for dramatic pass interceptions, Kia is the better on ball defender and always locks down the opposition's top scorer. She is the heart and drive of this team for 2 years. And I've heard she can knock down a 3 once in a while.

What constitutes an AA for the purposes of the Wall of Honor? It is the WBCA Coaches' All-American team of 10 players. No team can have more than three. Right? So in 2016-17 Lou, Phee, and Gabby were the UCONN AAs. So I'd bet this year it is Lou, Gabby, and Kia.

Reaction Score
In a way Geno does pick who’s worthy, at least in years where there are more than 3 potential AAs. I believe the sole criteria for HOH is WBCA AA, and Geno can only nominate 3 players. If he were to nominate Kia this year, who does he leave off?
The USBWA also counts. For example, Kara Wolters was “only” a WBCA All-American once but was a USBWA All-American twice and UConn lists her as a two-time All-American.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom