If Kia doesn't make AA ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If Kia doesn't make AA ...

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
it will be a shame. She has had the misfortune to be the fourth best player on a team with 3 AA for 3 years. She has lost two games in 3+ years on a team that has been ranked number 1 every week but one during her entire career. While Gabby is a fabulous open court defender who uses athletic ability for dramatic pass interceptions, Kia is the better on ball defender and always locks down the opposition's top scorer. She is the heart and drive of this team for 2 years. And I've heard she can knock down a 3 once in a while.

I think she's been the 2nd best on UCONN and will make the WBCA team. She's definitely been the most consistent outside of KLS and UCONN deserves to have at least 2 on the team.

And minor correction but UCONN was ranked below South Carolina for 12 weeks in 2014-15 and Notre Dame for 3 weeks in 2016-17. Unless something bizarre happens in the next month plus, she'll finish her career with the 2nd best win/loss record of all time just behind Saniya Chong.

Reaction Score
She's in the hHall of Fame. I think that equals about 20 AA's. ;)

Seriously, I agree with you - there are many deserving Huskies who were never AA's and therefore not on the wall. Kia might be among the MOST deserving, but the rule is you must be on one of the post season AA teams, otherwise it means someone else needs to determine the correct criteria, and I don't think it's fair to have Geno/CD pick and choose who is "worthy". Being an AA is quantifiable and it's something awarded by non-UCONN people.

I agree with you in theory, but the reality is that it's best to have the wall of honor be reserved for former UCONN players who earn All American honors...
I'm sure there are always going to be players that UConn fans feel are totally deserving of AA status and somehow slighted. I remember how many people were yelping about Kelly Faris and how deserving she was and I know others will remember similar "slights" but that's the way it is. How many schools over the years have felt that they've had great players unfairly omitted from AA consideration because of other players that might have had more name recognition and preseason expectations. I, myself, feel that I would give Kia more consideration than I would Napheesa, for AA honors but I'm sure there are a lot that wouldn't agree.

Reaction Score
I have always contended that there should be another wall, "The Heart Of A Husky" Wall to honor players who gave there all to the team but never made 1st team AA.
Why don't we just make a Participation Wall? That way no one feels left out.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
How many UConn women's basketball players wouldn't be eligible for that "Heart of A Husky" wall over the 30 years or so of Geno and Chris's tenure? Anyone who played a decent amount of minutes would certainly get a vote since Geno has never allowed anyone a lot of minutes who didn't give their all on the court! This almost sounds like the "every young person who participates should get a trophy" mentality that a lot of parents seem to buy into.

Reaction Score
If she is not an AA guess what, she is an Olympian. And she will continue to be an Olympian. But I really think she makes the cut this year.

Reaction Score
And
The USBWA also counts. For example, Kara Wolters was “only” a WBCA All-American once but was a USBWA All-American twice and UConn lists her as a two-time All-American.
And Kerry Bascom was a Kodak All American according to Wikipedia.

Reaction Score
Why don't we just make a Participation Wall? That way no one feels left out.:rolleyes:
How many UConn women's basketball players wouldn't be eligible for that "Heart of A Husky" wall over the 30 years or so of Geno and Chris's tenure? Anyone who played a decent amount of minutes would certainly get a vote since Geno has never allowed anyone a lot of minutes who didn't give their all on the court! This almost sounds like the "every young person who participates should get a trophy" mentality that a lot of parents seem to buy into.[/QUOTE]

I understand your point but I think many of us feel that Kia actually does deserve and has earned a place on the wall alongside her graduating teammate. It's not a matter of "participation" but consistent and hard-nosed play for four years. Kelly Faris was great but I don't compare the two. Kia's numbers this year are actually quite comparable to those of her teammates not named Katy Lou, and Morgan Tuck's the year she became a 1st Team AA. Plus, she's the best lockdown defender on the team, usually getting the toughest assignment. Obviously Gabby is an incredible defender but her prowess is generally exhibited in the flow of the game. I know life isn't always fair but somehow Kia not making at least one of the 1st team AA's really doesn't seem fair in light of her importance to the best team in WCBB, and one in which the basketball is actually shared among great players.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
So Chris Dailey was a UConn AA in what year?
Without CD how many banners would be missing????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Different set of criteria but definitely warranted.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Without CD how many banners would be missing????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Different set of criteria but definitely warranted.

Don't misunderstand me, I think the honor to CD was both appropriate and (as Geno said) overdue. I've thought about this overnight. Kia is an I'm going through the front door or not at all type of person. No asterisk or footnote for her. I do like the creative thinking about the AA nomination process demonstrated in the thread though.

Reaction Score
I think Kia has had a better year than Collier and Gabby, so in theory she wouldn't be victim of too many players from one team. But, there is that pre-season anointing thing Geno was talking about, and Collier and Gabby certainly have that in their favor over Kia.

We know enough about Kia to know the awards she covets the must are the National Championships...........while being an AA would be a great tribute, I have a feeling it wouldn't bother her all that much if she wasn't named if the team wins it all this year...........

Reaction Score
We know enough about Kia to know the awards she covets the must are the National Championships......while being an AA would be a great tribute, I have a feeling it wouldn't bother her all that much if she wasn't named if the team wins it all this year......
I agree, but a good bit about that wall is for us fans too. If Kia or Gabby makes it, they'll likely see their banner for about five seconds on senior day and then never again, while we get to see it 6 or 7 times a season during games for the rest of our lives.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Whether she gets the "official" AA nod or not, she's been one of the best NCAA players for years. If Geno doesn't stick her banner up next to Chris et al I'm going to think less of him.

And you care less for Kelly Faris's banner lying at the base of the Wall of Honor? The rules are clear, no participation banners on the Wall of Honor. It must be officially earned. Even if earning it depends on the opinion of a bunch of coaches who probably have not seen all of the candidate players play. Not unlike your opinion perhaps. Have you seen all of the candidate players play?:rolleyes: I have not.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And you care less for Kelly Faris's banner lying at the base of the Wall of Honor? The rules are clear, no participation banners on the Wall of Honor. It must be officially earned. Even if earning it depends on the opinion of a bunch of coaches who probably have not seen all of the candidate players play. Not unlike your opinion perhaps. Have you seen all of the candidate players play?:rolleyes: I have not.

Hey, @SVCBeercats I surrendered a while ago!

Reaction Score
I agree, but a good bit about that wall is for us fans too. If Kia or Gabby makes it, they'll likely see their banner for about five seconds on senior day and then never again, while we get to see it 6 or 7 times a season during games for the rest of our lives.

Yes it would be great if she gets named an AA but either way I don't think her magnificent contribution to the team the past fours will be forgotten by any true UConn fan..................

Reaction Score
Yes it would be great if she gets named an AA but either way I don't think her magnificent contribution to the team the past fours will be forgotten by any true UConn fan...
I can tell you that, having seen Kia interviewed a great many times, she is certainly an All-American off the court. As impressive as she is on the court, she is even more so, off the court! What a classy and impressive young woman. By the way, can I call her an All-American since she's Canadian???? Wait, she's a North American, isn't she!

Reaction Score
I can tell you that, having seen Kia interviewed a great many times, she is certainly an All-American off the court. As impressive as she is on the court, she is even more so, off the court! What a classy and impressive young woman. By the way, can I call her an All-American since she's Canadian???? Wait, she's a North American, isn't she!
If Kia were to become National defensive player of the year (but not first team AA, which could happen), would that qualify for the wall?

Reaction Score
We know enough about Kia to know the awards she covets the must are the National Championships......while being an AA would be a great tribute, I have a feeling it wouldn't bother her all that much if she wasn't named if the team wins it all this year......
Well said. She will not, alas, make AA, well, certainly not first team AA, and no banner either, but I’m sure she cares tons more about the NC. Now, if banners were awarded to the Huskies one would least relish ticking off in a dark alley....

Last edited:

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Don't misunderstand me, I think the honor to CD was both appropriate and (as Geno said) overdue. I've thought about this overnight. Kia is an I'm going through the front door or not at all type of person. No asterisk or footnote for her. I do like the creative thinking about the AA nomination process demonstrated in the thread though.
Agreed.

Reaction Score
WBCA counts for the Huskie of Honor Wall. They play South Florida this week and their Coach is the Chair for that Committee. So hopefully he backs up his comment about Kia from the first game of reccommending her!

Reaction Score
I think she's been the 2nd best on UCONN and will make the WBCA team. She's definitely been the most consistent outside of KLS and UCONN deserves to have at least 2 on the team.

And minor correction but UCONN was ranked below South Carolina for 12 weeks in 2014-15 and Notre Dame for 3 weeks in 2016-17. Unless something bizarre happens in the next month plus, she'll finish her career with the 2nd best win/loss record of all time just behind Saniya Chong.
...and Tierney Lawlor!!!

Reaction Score
WBCA counts for the Huskie of Honor Wall. They play South Florida this week and their Coach is the Chair for that Committee. So hopefully he backs up his comment about Kia from the first game of reccommending her!
Just to make sure, maybe she should give him a little “reminder” Monday night :D

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Hope she makes AA...

I made up my own award for players without AA recognition but incredible contribution to the team:

"Most Memorable Teammates" = Kia Nurse / Kelly Faris / Jamelle Elliot / Ann Strother

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
We always hear: "Players come to UCONN to win as a TEAM".....
Tear that wall down!

Reaction Score
We always hear: "Players come to UCONN to win as a TEAM".....
Tear that wall down!
upload_2018-2-25_18-25-0.png

Reaction Score
IF Kia doesn't make AA, it will likely be because there are just so much talent on UConn and so many talented Guards in Women's College Basketball ... and they just ran out of spots. However, shutting down Laksa again will go a long way to making it happen. Regardless of the final outcome, Kia will forever be our All Canadian/All American and one of the best Teammates to ever wear a UConn Uniform.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom