if Jalen played with Emeka, how many assists | The Boneyard

if Jalen played with Emeka, how many assists

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
If Jalen played with a good big man, he'd be one of the top passing guards in UCONN men's history. Even though he plays without a big man who can catch, never mind shoot, he is still one of the top assist guys in the conference.

Imagine if Jalen played with some of UCONN's best big men, or if he played on a team with a tough-as-Calhoun pg like Taliek Brown.

If he played with Emeka, he could be a 10 assist per game guy.

If Jalen were on a good UCONN team, he'd be considered one of the top guards in program history.

Reaction Score
If Jalen were on a good UCONN team, he'd be considered one of the top guards in program history.

He's the second-most talent PG we've ever had, after Kemba. It's a shame he came through Storrs at the wrong time.

If Bazz was able to carve out a nice role in the NBA then I firmly believe Jalen will do the same. He has not been able to showcase his ability to the fullest extent in this program, with this roster and coach. He will be a nice get for whatever team signs him after the draft, assuming things stay the course and no one pulls the trigger on him in the second round.

Reaction Score
If Jalen comes back I really feel he will explode and his true talent will shine. Having the transfers replaced with one year grad transfers and a bunch of freshman, along with a couple of players who returned from injury put him in a position worse than Boatright's senior year. I might add having to play an extraordinary amount of minutes in a losing season, many with 20+ point losses, also hurt him.

Next year he will have a nucleate of familiar players, along with a guard who can take him off the ball for spells will be valuable to his game. He was one of the best high school guards in the Country hanging with Isaiah Briscoe (remember him?) and others. He played with Ryan for one year, then Rodney both pro ballers.

I for one will be very despondent (to a degree) if he declares. He may seem not NBA ready but some of that is due to his partners on the Court and perhaps someone else.;)

If he stays and we get better collectively, there is no one better who can take us back into The Tourney again.

Reaction Score
If Jalen was on a good UConn team, he would play the 2.

Between this and your take that Larrier is the best pro prospect on the team, I'm not sure what you've been watching the last few seasons. Nothing about Adams' game says "SG". You really think Taliek Brown would start over him if Jalen was on that 2004 squad?

Reaction Score
If Jalen played with a good big man, he'd be one of the top passing guards in UCONN men's history. Even though he plays without a big man who can catch, never mind shoot, he is still one of the top assist guys in the conference.

Imagine if Jalen played with some of UCONN's best big men, or if he played on a team with a tough-as-Calhoun pg like Taliek Brown.

If he played with Emeka, he could be a 10 assist per game guy.

I agree he could be one of the best but I think even having Gilbert would have made a huge difference for him this year. He hasn’t had the work ethic in the off season that bazz Ray Kemba and many others had. (It doesn’t seem) Hope he puts in the work stays off the scooters and comes back. Could be great!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Between this and your take that Larrier is the best pro prospect on the team, I'm not sure what you've been watching the last few seasons. Nothing about Adams' game says "SG". You really think Taliek Brown would start over him if Jalen was on that 2004 squad?

Probably. Toughness, leadership and defense unmatched. Taliek mirrored JC as much as any player in UCONN history.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I think MSG and Anderson and RIP and Ray and Donyell and Caron would increase those assist numbers a lot more than Meka would, and I love everything about Meka's game

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Probably. Toughness, leadership and defense unmatched. Taliek mirrored JC as much as any player in UCONN history.

and Caron, what a class of two

Reaction Score
Eh im not a Big Jalen fan. Feel like he’s difficult to play with and plays in spurts only. Poor leader poor defender. Talented tho. Would of been interesting to see how him and alterique worked.

Bazz kemba AJ Khalid all better players.

Reaction Score
Yes, I do. I also think AJ Price, Marcus Williams, Shabazz Napier, Ryan Boatright, and Kemba Walker would as well. Go further, so would Doron Sheffer , Kevin Ollie, and Khalid El-Amin. I'd even rather have Ricky Moore. If you dig beyond your clear obsession with Jalen, you will realize he is more effective off the ball. Hence, a 2 guard. As a pg, he turns the ball over way to much, rarely gets his teammates involved, and has a poor outside shot. Sure, he is athletic but thats pretty much it. His basketball IQ is low and hasn't improved in 3 years.

To continues this debate, on a good team, I'd also rather have Terry Larrier.

Last edited:

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I had to read this a few times to make sure I was reading this right...Taliek starts over JA without a question.

Reaction Score
May surprise a few people here (lol) but Taliek starts in 2004 over Jalen. Didn't need a scoring PG needed a leader and toughness, Taliek by far better on the defensive end too which was more important at that time.

Reaction Score
Another brilliant thread.
JA would not start ahead of Taliek. Not even shore he would take minutes from Rashad.

Reaction Score

I think Jalen is a good scorer...don't consider him to be a top passer when you look at some of the guards that have come before him...think his decision making skills are average, but he's really a combo guard. Has been thrust into the point guard role due to injuries that past couple of years.

Would like to see him come back next year, play off the ball, and play less minutes so that he's fresh in the final four minutes. Also want to see the guy play mad... Good player for the program, has to have a huge year next year to be mentioned in that great category. Hope that happens.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Eh im not a Big Jalen fan. Feel like he’s difficult to play with and plays in spurts only. Poor leader poor defender. Talented tho. Would of been interesting to see how him and alterique worked.

Bazz kemba AJ Khalid all better players.

I think Marcus Williams was a better player as well. More well rounded offensively. Light years better to play with. Both marginal defenders.

Reaction Score
I think Marcus Williams was a better player as well. More well rounded offensively. Light years better to play with. Both marginal defenders.
As a pure PG, Marcus Williams was exponentially better.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The turn this thread took has me thinking...are there any UConn starting PGs of the past 15-20 years Jalen would start ahead of at their peaks?

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
All the other PGs in the last 15 years had full teams with leaders and a great coach (at least for a few years), Jalen does not. We don't know how good he could be. Once he goes to the G league, or whatever his next stop will be, I think he will surprise a lot of people here.

Reaction Score
All the other PGs in the last 15 years had full teams with leaders and a great coach (at least for a few years), Jalen does not. We don't know how good he could be. Once he goes to the G league, or whatever his next stop will be, I think he will surprise a lot of people here.

I'm confused...i do not think Jalen is a leader.
If he's not a leader, i would put him in the "follower" bucket
Not sure if I would classify a "follower" as a great player

Reaction Score
Yes, I do. I also think AJ Price, Marcus Williams, Shabazz Napier, Ryan Boatright, and Kemba Walker would as well. Go further, so would Doron Sheffer , Kevin Ollie, and Khalid El-Amin. I'd even rather have Ricky Moore. If you dig beyond your clear obsession with Jalen, you will realize he is more effective off the ball. Hence, a 2 guard. As a pg, he turns the ball over way to much, rarely gets his teammates involved, and has a poor outside shot. Sure, he is athletic but thats pretty much it. His basketball IQ is low and hasn't improved in 3 years.

To continues this debate, on a good team, I'd also rather have Terry Larrier.

Would be better as a 2 guard.....but he has a poor outside shot. How does that work again?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom