If Gilbert is out for the year again... | The Boneyard

If Gilbert is out for the year again...

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
As Oz and others are speculating, it gives KO another pass for this year.

It's hard for any team to become a cohesive winning unit with your all-American lead PG going down a few games in back-to-back years. This is especially so when you consider the offense that UConn runs.

UConn PGs have historically been an extension of the coach on the floor, and we'd preferably have 2 PGs on the floor at once. It's looking like Adams might have to shoulder the load on his own for back to back years with no backup, and no 2-PG lineups.

I know many will disagree with giving KO mulligans with the injuries. But with all things considered, not having Gilbert in back to back years is just a killer, and you can't have a fair evaluation of anyone as a result. No, it's not a cop-out... UConn isn't a recruiting giant like UK, Duke, etc. that can still compete after losing an all-American PG. Expections need to be tempered another year and we need to recruit 2 PGs next year to compensate.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
I don't know about giving him a pass solely because of this; if the team underperforms the entire year and again misses the postseason I think it's hard to say Gilbert would have made any impact on that, and AD David Benedict will have a decision to make. However, on the other side, anyone who claims that not having a McDAA on the court for two straight years isn't going to hurt the overall prospects of the squad is also simply too against Ollie to see straight.

Reaction Score
If Gilbert goes out this year we have to recruit 2 players over him ( we have 1 coming) and he can back up off the bench next season if the shoulder works at all. Hoping and wishing for a point guard is no way to field a team.

Reaction Score
As Oz and others are speculating, it gives KO another pass for this year.

It's hard for any team to become a cohesive winning unit with your all-American lead PG going down a few games in back-to-back years. This is especially so when you consider the offense that UConn runs.

UConn PGs have historically been an extension of the coach on the floor, and we'd preferably have 2 PGs on the floor at once. It's looking like Adams might have to shoulder the load on his own for back to back years with no backup, and no 2-PG lineups.

I know many will disagree with giving KO mulligans with the injuries. But with all things considered, not having Gilbert in back to back years is just a killer, and you can't have a fair evaluation of anyone as a result. No, it's not a cop-out... UConn isn't a recruiting giant like UK, Duke, etc. that can still compete after losing an all-American PG. Expections need to be tempered another year and we need to recruit 2 PGs next year to compensate.
Huh? He isn't a college all-American point guard and he was just going to be a piece going forward. I hope you weren't really relying on him saving the season. It will have to be TL stepping up and helping JA and one of young bigs developing if we are going to do well this year. Gilbert was always a crapshoot with already 3 injuries in his shoulder coming into this season.

Reaction Score
Pure speculation, but Kevin Ollie did say something about it being up to AG. I’m inferring he’s talking about him returning and playing because right after that he said that if he doesnt he would mak a great assistant coach if he’s on the bench.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
One post from Oz and it's all systems go.

I don't even see it on his twitter.

I assume he tweeted it and then was told to take it down. The details were too specific for me to think he was just speculating.

Reaction Score
There has been no official word from the staff, yet we are already writing off AG?? classic
Redshirt freshman guard Alterique Gilbert missed his second consecutive game with discomfort in his surgically repaired left shoulder. Ollie could not say when Gilbert might play again, but hinted that another surgery is possible.

"The main person that's going to make the decision is not going to be us, it's not going to be UConn, it will be Alterique Gilbert," Ollie said. "He's making that decision."

Monmouth vs. Connecticut - Game Recap - December 2, 2017 - ESPN

That doesn't sound good.

Reaction Score
KO screwed up big time by not retaining MAL and not getting another stud PG in Waters who would have been more than an adequate replacement.

If they were scared off by a guy with shaky medical history who may not play more than a handful of games in his entire career, that is abysmal program management by the coaches.

Reaction Score
I don't know about giving him a pass solely because of this; if the team underperforms the entire year and again misses the postseason I think it's hard to say Gilbert would have made any impact on that, and AD David Benedict will have a decision to make. However, on the other side, anyone who claims that not having a McDAA on the court for two straight years isn't going to hurt the overall prospects of the squad is also simply too against Ollie to see straight.

Ollie won't get a pass on it but the big fall in team play is directly related to the lack of AG. Since he went out, this team has not been playing well.

Reaction Score
It's so frustrating. How do you not take care of this kid?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bingo. If you have multiple injuries like this in back to back years, you do NOT get a pass. It says you have crappy s&c coaches.

Once you do that to your shoulder you keep doing it. Some people are susceptible to an injury like this because of the structure of their joint.

The only potential mistake from the staff would be building a roster around a player with an issue like this. It would be hard to say Ollie and staff did that.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
What could the S&C guys have done about Alterique's shoulder? This is a freak injury that happened during the McDs game.
Bad workout preparation can lead to a higher chance of a recurrence of injuries or new injuries.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Once you do that to your shoulder you keep doing it. Some people are susceptible to an injury like this because of the structure of their joint.

The only potential mistake from the staff would be building a roster around a player with an issue like this. It would be hard to say Ollie and staff did that.
You are more likely to get injured again, yes. However, that is not guaranteed, and a large factor in not getting injured again is a proper workout regimen.

Reaction Score
Bad workout preparation can lead to a higher chance of a recurrence of injuries or new injuries.
take it from someone who dislocated their shoulder five times - no amount of rehab or babying it during workouts will keep it from happening. I finally had surgery and stopped playing contact sports because of it.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You are more likely to get injured again, yes. However, that is not guaranteed, and a large factor in not getting injured again is a proper workout regimen.

Stop. Your premise is that the S&C staff
is so bad none of them could figure out the prescriptive workout for a player with that injury. That’s ridiculous.

Reaction Score
KO screwed up big time by not retaining MAL and not getting another stud PG in Waters who would have been more than an adequate replacement.

If they were scared off by a guy with shaky medical history who may not play more than a handful of games in his entire career, that is abysmal program management by the coaches.

Keep saying it. Agreed on mal. Ko totally screwed up on that.

Staff recruited waters but he didn't want to play here. Can't force someone to sign on dotted line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom