If Evers has a concussion | Page 5 | The Boneyard

If Evers has a concussion

Reaction Score
gotta get down. Sliding isn't supposed to be a last minute decision. It's a recognition that there are defenders and I'm getting down for my own protection with 4 or 5 yards of space. He got into the middle of 3 defenders and said "oh **" and tried to drop right then and there and traffic. It's like people who just walk out into a crosswalk with the attitude "I'm the pedestrian, they have to stop, I have the right of way." Well, yes, they are supposed to stop.. but that doesn't mean they're going to and are you really going to brag about how right you were when you're laid up in the hospital in a full body cast?

If you're in traffic already, you either need to dive out of harms way and get your head down, or you cover the ball up and run the ball and take your licks to the body. Either way, the head is safe. If you get popped by a linebacker? Well that's the price you pay to learn a lesson that you should have slid 5 yards earlier.
This is the correct take. Trying to squeeze out an extra 2 feet seems silly. The defenders have to have the ability to tackle. If you start your slide while they're in the process of making a tackle you cannot stop your momentum like that. I actually feel a lot of those penalties are unfair. I was pissed when Kenny Picket faked a slide and the defenders let up and he proceeded to run about 60 yards for a TD.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Hamms30 has it right IMHO. Slide late with tacklers in motion and they go over you. No where else for them to go. Getting your head bounced between the turf and a 200+ guys hip is gonna hurt, but nobodies trying to drop a hip on a head. A good portion of the targeting calls we do see come from the runner changing his head level too late for the tackler to compensate. I don't think people are baiting (or flopping for) targeting calls, but I do think it gets called way too often. You also end up with runners thinking the refs are protecting them when they should be protecting themselves.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Does Evers have a concussion? Has he even had a MRI?
Mora said he didn't know yet post game; haven't seen/heard a word since. I don't think they can roll him out Saturday though. Bad optics and liability issues prob enough to not play him.

Reaction Score
Mora said he didn't know yet post game; haven't seen/heard a word since. I don't think they can roll him out Saturday though. Bad optics and liability issues prob enough to not play him.
I am guessing Evers will not play this week. Second head related injury in 4 weeks. Bye week coming up. So while I have no information it lines up about as perfectly as it can for that course of action.

Reaction Score
gotta get down. Sliding isn't supposed to be a last minute decision. It's a recognition that there are defenders and I'm getting down for my own protection with 4 or 5 yards of space. He got into the middle of 3 defenders and said "oh **" and tried to drop right then and there and traffic. It's like people who just walk out into a crosswalk with the attitude "I'm the pedestrian, they have to stop, I have the right of way." Well, yes, they are supposed to stop.. but that doesn't mean they're going to and are you really going to brag about how right you were when you're laid up in the hospital in a full body cast?

If you're in traffic already, you either need to dive out of harms way and get your head down, or you cover the ball up and run the ball and take your licks to the body. Either way, the head is safe. If you get popped by a linebacker? Well that's the price you pay to learn a lesson that you should have slid 5 yards earlier.
This. The sliding rule can only protect you when you’re giving up yardage to protect yourself by sliding before people have already committed to clobbering you. Like NFL QBs routinely do. Throughout college, the slide is being used by QBs after they’ve gained as much yardage as they can to avoid a it at the last minute. I side with the DBs on most of these.

Yes, the hit on Evers last week would have been a targeting at Maryland a month ago, but I disagreed with those calls as well. If you want protection you have to go down to avoid a hit in the future, not to avoid a hit that is already imminent and the defender is committed to.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
As in any sport - next in line needs to step in and get the job done
JF has done that but what if he also goes down? Thats what I worry about the most.
Unless UConn is redshirting him, is the Texas Slinger ready to go at a moments notice?

Reaction Score
When I heard on the radio that Evers went down, I was concerned about the season and momentum.Glad things are working out but losing key players can have a negative impact.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom