If Dave Benedict Doesn't Achieve Something Substantial By End of July Should UConn HIre a Consulting Firm? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If Dave Benedict Doesn't Achieve Something Substantial By End of July Should UConn HIre a Consulting Firm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It was not me, but can we get Jimmy back in exchange from booting this obvious troll?
Yeah, this is obvious reset moment for the University and therefore I think that reset should extend to Jimmy too. He's a nice guy.
I once stumped to bring him back from the dead and it took him a matter of hours to curse out the powers that be and get tossed again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I once stumped to bring him back from the dead and it took him a matter of hours to curse out the powers that be and get tossed again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He's a misunderstood fellow who had problems with word choice. Isn't that a protected class at this point?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, this is obvious reset moment for the University and therefore I think that reset should extend to Jimmy too. He's a nice guy.
I love/hate Jimmy. But I think the board is better with him when he's not throwing a tantrum.

Reaction Score
Lol his and cubby bears argument should have been enough to keep him here for life. I haven't laughed that hard on the internet in a long time

Reaction Score
What statements? That he intends to give us no contract rights beyond the rights that we signed on to? The obvious answer is no. You don't gain contract rights because after you elect to terminate it the other side says it has no interest in doing business with you ever again beyond the terms of the contract.
I didn't ask the question right. Sorry. It seems Aresco is talking out both sides of his mouth. In one sense he is saying UConn football is finished after 2019-2020, but that UConn will have to negiotate to leave early since they require 27 months notice. I understand that UConn will in fact have to negiotate since those are the bylaws.

@nelsonmuntz has brought up the point that UConn could sue saying Aresco and the American didn't act in good faith in the contract negotiations giving up UConn's tier 3 rights, specifically in WBB.

@businesslawyer...what should UConn's legal strategy be here?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Benedict legit believed UConn would be a lock for AAC football. He's an idiot.

My opinion is that he thought the new ESPN deal would lock UConn in (with the risk of blowing up the deal without the Huskies), so he started shopping the other sports.

Once the news broke, Benedict was left twisting in the wind, because he hadn't found out for sure or made any back up plans (outside of making the locker room tweets).

Herbst then tried to appeal to the other Presidents and they basically gave her a firm no (to put it mildly).

They then laughed their arses off.

There was absolutely no upside to keeping UConn.

Hmm the AP story at the time specifically says UConn leaving triggers a renegotiation of the contract.
The ESPN contract also includes language that would protect the network, should marquee schools, such as UCF, Cincinnati or UConn leave for another conference.

Reaction Score
Benedict legit believed UConn would be a lock for AAC football. He's an idiot.

My opinion is that he thought the new ESPN deal would lock UConn in (with the risk of blowing up the deal without the Huskies), so he started shopping the other sports.

Once the news broke, Benedict was left twisting in the wind, because he hadn't found out for sure or made any back up plans (outside of making the locker room tweets).

Herbst then tried to appeal to the other Presidents and they basically gave her a firm no (to put it mildly).

They then laughed their arses off.

There was absolutely no upside to keeping UConn.

That isn't my take on it at all.

Benedict HAS to ask. He gets PAID to ask.

Then he moves on.

Reaction Score
What statements? That he intends to give us no contract rights beyond the rights that we signed on to? The obvious answer is no. You don't gain contract rights because after you elect to terminate it the other side says it has no interest in doing business with you ever again beyond the terms of the contract.

Lol

You sure on this Biz?

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
That isn't my take on it at all.

Benedict HAS to ask. He gets PAID to ask.

Then he moves on.
I agree. DB is doing a much better job than Aresco is at the moment

Reaction Score
I didn't ask the question right. Sorry. It seems Aresco is talking out both sides of his mouth. In one sense he is saying UConn football is finished after 2019-2020, but that UConn will have to negiotate to leave early since they require 27 months notice. I understand that UConn will in fact have to negiotate since those are the bylaws.

@nelsonmuntz has brought up the point that UConn could sue saying Aresco and the American didn't act in good faith in the contract negotiations giving up UConn's tier 3 rights, specifically in WBB.

@businesslawyer...what should UConn's legal strategy be here?

There is no legal strategy (except suing just to be a jerk and because sometimes jerks get some concessions). You either keep all sports in the AAC for 27 months -- which the AAC can't and isn't going to prevent -- or you negotiate out earlier. I think we've made clear we have no interest in keeping basketball in for two more seasons.

Reaction Score
Hope AD Dave Benedict can achieve something for UConn football soon. If everything remains up in the air or falls down to the ground, should UConn hire a consulting firm to work with Fox, SNY and the AAC? There are retired ADs and TV executives out there that help colleges in such situations. I am not getting a great feeling based on recent news. Hope I am wrong. The cost of the consultant may pay for itself in intermediate term.
Kind of a silly question. Benedict find a way to get rid of Diaco which was huge. He found a way to get rid of Ollie which was HUGE. UCONN was going nowhere in the AAC. We were rapidly losing fans and apathy was setting in. He got us in the big east and believe it or not we are going to get relevant quickly. Football has to play out and it will.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

That is not exactly what Aresco said. He appears to state that UConn will be gone after this year, almost as if the AAC is kicking UConn out.

Reaction Score
In addition to negotiation, wont Arbitration be required before any potential for lawsuits by either party?

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is no legal strategy (except suing just to be a jerk and because sometimes jerks get some concessions). You either keep all sports in the AAC for 27 months -- which the AAC can't and isn't going to prevent -- or you negotiate out earlier. I think we've made clear we have no interest in keeping basketball in for two more seasons.

That is not what the poster is asking.

Reaction Score
I
Randy Edsall Retweeted

DIGGS@stefondiggs
43m
43 minutes ago

People don’t appreciate things until they’re gone...
Is Randy talking about being in the AAC or the football team more in general?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I agree. DB is doing a much better job than Aresco is at the moment
A ghost and a . Meh. Both can KMFA

Reaction Score
Please - just stop. We get it. Your football team got screwed. That's your opinion and its not shared by a whole lot of people.
While screwed at least his point might be too strong a word given how little is known of its future plans.
Since both the current coach and our HOF basketball coach have publicly voiced concern for its future.
That not panic seems to be the logical sentiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom