If Big Ten expands again in a few years, keep an eye on Kansas and Oklahoma | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If Big Ten expands again in a few years, keep an eye on Kansas and Oklahoma

Reaction Score
Because the women are really popular nationwide. More than the men, actually. But I don't think the population of Maine, NH and VT have anything to do with UConn. UConn isn't a thing in any of those states. It's probably more popular in Los Angeles.
Who said anything about Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont???? There's more cows, chickens and horses in those States than people. Lol. The women draw like crazy in the NYC metro area up the 95 corridor to the Boston metro area and all points in between, including Providence.

Reaction Score
If 14 million people in UConn's backyard don't care about UConn, then explain why a UConn women's basketball game in the NY market outdraws major D1 college football telecasts.

I think you mean major D1 college BASKETBALL telecasts. Tough comparison when CFB regular season is over by second week of December.

"According to SNY, the game in Philadelphia drew a larger household rating in the New York market than the Knicks-Nets game on YES. It also drew a higher rating in the market than an NHL doubleheader on NBCSN and seven other college basketball games on ESPN2, ESPNU and FS1.<

Reaction Score
14 million is still a MUCH larger prospective market for the Big Ten in multiple ways other than just sports.

Reaction Score
During the last round of CR, Kansas was a few pen strokes from being relegated to the AAC. Now, we're supposed to believe that they are a desired jewel of the B1G??!!

In any future CR, Kansas is maybe MORE screwed than we are. While we are in the position of being Notre Dame's +1 to the ACC, Kansas is Oklahoma's +1 to the B1G. The problem with that is that Oklahoma is already Texas' +1 to the B1G.

Jim Delany and the B1G officials are not sitting in their offices talking about the massive incremental revenue that OK & Kansas would bring them. As has been said a million times, by many on the BY, there are a very small handful of teams that bring any value to the B1G. Neither OK or Kansas are on that short list. Unless Notre Dame or Texas tell Delany "we are only coming if you bring Kansas", Kansas has a better chance of being a G5 school than a member of a Power conference.

The B1G is not expanding with OK and Kansas just for the sake of expanding.

Reaction Score
During the last round of CR, Kansas was a few pen strokes from being relegated to the AAC. Now, we're supposed to believe that they are a desired jewel of the B1G??!!
We absolutely are on their list of potential adds. We gotta keep pushing. The administration considers Big Ten schools peer schools. Can only hope Herbst's leadership matches her words.

Connecticut can redevelop through being associated with the Big Ten.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Who said anything about Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont???? There's more cows, chickens and horses in those States than people. Lol. The women draw like crazy in the NYC metro area up the 95 corridor to the Boston metro area and all points in between, including Providence.

It all came from Butch's post that there were 14 million people in New England, which I said was pretty much irrelevant. You then replied to that.

Reaction Score
We absolutely are on their list of potential adds. We gotta keep pushing. The administration considers Big Ten schools peer schools. Can only hope Herbst's leadership matches her words.

Connecticut can redevelop through being associated with the Big Ten.

Please stop with the "we are on their radar " nonsense.

Was there a time that we were looked at by the B1G as a possible add? Yes, but that was a long time ago. Your facts about 14MM people in New England is correct. The problem is that a significant majority could care less about college sports or UConn

As much as I would like to believe it, nobody at the B1G is trying to figure out what school they can pair with UConn to tip the scales on the next TV contract. If UConn is on their list, as you like to dream, there are so many schools ahead of us that it won't matter anyway

Reaction Score
Please stop with the "we are on their radar " nonsense.

Was there a time that we were looked at by the B1G as a possible add? Yes, but that was a long time ago. Your facts about 14MM people in New England is correct. The problem is that a significant majority could care less about college sports or UConn

As much as I would like to believe it, nobody at the B1G is trying to figure out what school they can pair with UConn to tip the scales on the next TV contract. If UConn is on their list, as you like to dream, there are so many schools ahead of us that it won't matter anyway
You can think it's nonsense all you want. You don't know me. Nor do I need to tell you.

Reaction Score
You can think it's nonsense all you want. You don't know me. Nor do I need to tell you.

Can you provide more details as to why you are so confident?

Reaction Score
Can you provide more details as to why you are so confident?
Sadly, no.

Don't the administration's actions reflect my confidence anyway?

Reaction Score
From a B1G sports perspective, wrestling is HUGE in the B1G. If UConn ever added a sport, wrestling would be a good choice. All 14 members have a wresting team. Also, men's lacrosse would be a good choice to add because it would help the B1G expand lacrosse.

Other sports sponsored by the B1G that UConn lacks include: Men's Gymnastics, Women's Gymnastics and Women's Golf.

A plus for UConn is already having an established men's ice hockey team, which would allow the B1G to have East Coast exposure in hockey.

pj

Reaction Score
Interesting comparison. I have a couple of different data points.

Population:
Connecticut - 3.58 million
Kansas - 2.91 million

Academics:
Not the be all and end all but USNWR rankings: UConn 60, Kansas 118.

That, and Kansas's AAU membership is by legacy standards (1915). Kansas would not get an AAU invite today. On most graduate and research metrics, Kansas is almost identical to UConn (and similar non-AAU schools such as Oklahoma and Florida State).

Overall I think Kansas has a better sports brand but by quantitative metrics Kansas and UConn are neck and neck. UConn's only clear advantage is its proximity to NYC and Boston. Population within 150 miles of campus = clear win for UConn.

Reaction Score
I think you mean major D1 college BASKETBALL telecasts. Tough comparison when CFB regular season is over by second week of December.

"According to SNY, the game in Philadelphia drew a larger household rating in the New York market than the Knicks-Nets game on YES. It also drew a higher rating in the market than an NHL doubleheader on NBCSN and seven other college basketball games on ESPN2, ESPNU and FS1.<
Medic, I think if you mean the articles that came out from just about every news outlet after UCONN's game against Temple in February of this year, yes that game out drew the Knicks, and several men's basketball games on ESPN'S channels. What I was referring to was a thread on the West Virginia board last Fall where someone posted some ratings (with links) from a Thursday or weekend where the UCONN women out drew some Thursday or weekend college football games in NYC. If you remember the same thread that was it. I don't remember the dates. Granted, alot of people were tuning in because of the win streak. You are very good at researching things I've noticed, see if you can find that thread. Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Medic, I think if you mean the articles that came out from just about every news outlet after UConn's game against Temple in February of this year, yes that game out drew the Knicks, and several men's basketball games on ESPN'S channels. What I was referring to was a thread on the West Virginia board last Fall where someone posted some ratings (with links) from a Saturday where the UConn women out drew some Saturday college football games in NYC. If you remember the same thread that was it. I don't remember the dates. Granted, alot of people were tuning in because of the win streak. You are very good at researching things I've noticed, see if you can find that thread. Thanks

Nah... I don't play on WVA boards. If you find it - post it, I'd be interested to see the actual major D1 football teams they were ahead of on the day in question. I know they only had a handful of games before the college football season ended.

Reaction Score
Nah... I don't play on WVA boards. If you find it - post it, Id be interested to see the actual major D1 football teams they were ahead mof.
It actually might have been a Thursday night game IIRC.

Reaction Score
A plus for UConn is already having an established men's ice hockey team, which would allow the B1G to have East Coast exposure in hockey.

Hockey is actually a huge minus for us in the B1G. ND just left Hockey East because travel to the East for away games was an issue.

Also, women's hockey programs rarely travel outside of their region for OOC games so it would be tough to play a B1G regular season schedule.

Reaction Score
We all poke fun @ Syracuse, BC and Rutgers but I'm curious what your beef w/ Maryland is?

You keep saying it over and over in threads - tell me why Maryland is a "garbage school" compared to other P5 schools. By what metrics?

Maryland, the garbage school losers who lost to BC in a bowl game.

Reaction Score
Sadly, no.

Don't the administration's actions reflect my confidence anyway?

Couldn't KU's 300 million dollar planned upgrade of Memorial Stadium be viewed the same way? They are already in a P5 League with no threat of being thrown out. They don't technically have to do anything with their football facilities. Perhaps they have been advised that facility upgrades would be necessary should a certain conference expand?

Reaction Score
Maryland, the garbage school losers who lost to BC in a bowl game.

Oh, they are a "garbage school" based on a meaningless football bowl game loss. Got it.

Does that make UConn a "garbage school" too since losing a regular season game can be argued is more important?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hockey is actually a huge minus for us in the B1G. ND just left Hockey East because travel to the East for away games was an issue.

Also, women's hockey programs rarely travel outside of their region for OOC games so it would be tough to play a B1G regular season schedule.
Wasn't Uconn planning to build a new hockey rink a while back?

Reaction Score
Wasn't UConn planning to build a new hockey rink a while back?

Supposedly that was a requirent for the Hockey East invitation but stopped because of money issues, from the hockey board to a questioning asked.

Reaction Score
Couldn't KU's 300 million dollar planned upgrade of Memorial Stadium be viewed the same way? They are already in a P5 League with no threat of being thrown out. They don't technically have to do anything with their football facilities. Perhaps they have been advised that facility upgrades would be necessary should a certain conference expand?
Of course. But the school is situated in a different and smaller market.

Reaction Score
Oh, they are a "garbage school" based on a meaningless football bowl game loss. Got it.

Does that make UConn a "garbage school" too since losing a regular season game can be argued is more important?

If they weren't a garbage school, they would have beaten BC. It's not hard to understand.

Reaction Score
Wasn't UConn planning to build a new hockey rink a while back?
From the Hockey board back in February.
Courant: With Feasibility Study And Ticket Surcharge, UConn Moving Forward On Plans For New Stadiums

>>The Freitas Ice Forum is a separate project, Benedict said, and the university is not at a point where it is ready to move on any proposal. Populous estimates renovation of the rink would run $25 million to $35 million, but adds that another option would be to demolish and build a new rink if it is to be used for competition. An estimate of the cost for a new rink is not included in the study. Benedict said it's unclear at this point which direction UConn might take on the hockey rink. For now, he said the focus is on the soccer, softball and baseball stadiums.<<

They are currently focused on the above and some other renovations to Freitas .

Last edited:

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
If they weren't a garbage school, they would have beaten BC. It's not hard to understand.

When does losing a game to BC make a school a garbage school. If it does, wouldn't that make UConn a garbage school? Didn't UConn lose to BC November 19th 30-0?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom