If Big Ten expands again in a few years, keep an eye on Kansas and Oklahoma | The Boneyard

If Big Ten expands again in a few years, keep an eye on Kansas and Oklahoma

Reaction Score
If Big Ten expands again in a few years, keep an eye on Kansas and Oklahoma

Here is another new article on conference realignment............

"But what if a 16-team Big Ten essentially became a loose alliance of two 8-team divisions – two leagues within a league?

A prospective Big Ten West with Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Illinois becomes a cohesive Central Time Zone neighborhood that looks like it belongs together.

The Big Ten East, likewise, would be all Eastern Time Zone schools: Purdue, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers with a distinctive personality."

Reaction Score
So Illinois and Wisconsin are going to willingly align with B12 spinoffs and vast swaths of unpopulated flatlands?

This is a good way for Illinois and Wisconsin to devalue their athletic programs AND their schools.

I just don't see this happening at all.

At this point, I can't see how the B1G expands without Texas, given the money involved.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
So Illinois and Wisconsin are going to willingly align with B12 spinoffs and vast swaths of unpopulated flatlands?

This is a good way for Illinois and Wisconsin to devalue their athletic programs AND their schools.

At this point, I can't see how the B1G expands without Texas, given the money involved.

I have a hard time with that thought, too. The Big10 fans love playing the original teams. Many rivalries and hatred that lives within those schools. If they were to expand, it wo uld have to be a set up where they would play each other more than once every five years.

If, like it's being predicted, content and rabid fan bases becomes king, Oklahoma football and Kansas basketball become important. Matchups with OSU, Oklahoma, Michigan, PSU and Nebraska become very valuable. With Indiana becoming an also ran, Kansas just might help boost them a bit.

Reaction Score

How would playing Kansas Basketball or Oklahoma Football devalue someone's athletic program or more puzzling their school? Both are the bluest of blue blood programs in their respective sports, and would likely drive ticket sales at Illinois, Wisconsin or wherever. A match up against either of the two would all but guarantee a prime TV broadcast for your school as well.

As far as devaluing their academic brands, I find it more likely that The KU or OU Brands would be elevated by their association with The B1G as opposed to its current members being hurt from associating with AAU Member Kansas or solid academic performer Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
How would playing Kansas Basketball or Oklahoma Football devalue someone's athletic program or more puzzling their school? Both are the bluest of blue blood programs in their respective sports, and would likely drive ticket sales at Illinois, Wisconsin or wherever. A match up against either of the two would also all but guarantee a prime TV broadcast for your school as well. As far as devaluing their academic brands, I find it more likely that KU or OU would be elevated by association with The B1G as opposed to its current members being hurt from associating with AAU Member Kansas and solid performer Oklahoma.

1. By not playing schools in the other division as much.
2. By not being seen as much (because schools in this division are relatively unpopulated).
3. KU and OU are a step down academically from any of the schools in the other division, but that's not what I was referring to. If you're seen less, your academic brand takes a hit. Marketing.

Reaction Score
If you're seen less, your academic brand takes a hit. Marketing.
Unfortunately, I think what B1G wants to do is to broadcast football Friday night through Saturday night. Not sure, in that sense, that they will be seen less. And if the league is divided into 3 or 4 divisions, I could see regional interest growing with more attention also being drawn to what is happening across the conference.

I do believe that OU/KU, without Texas, is unlikely. Neither brings a lot of academic muscle, and I'm not sure if Delany would get the votes from touting the TV numbers. I would bring them on board, I just to know if the votes are there.

Reaction Score
1. By not playing schools in the other division as much.
2. By not being seen as much (because schools in this division are relatively unpopulated).
3. KU and OU are a step down academically from any of the schools in the other division, but that's not what I was referring to. If you're seen less, your academic brand takes a hit. Marketing.

I think the idea of lack of visibility is a bit overrated. Those schools would have national visibility when matched against either of those programs on television. I can understand the argument about playing familiar schools less frequently, although there are ways to get creative with scheduling that could alleviate some of that concern. UNC is playing Wake OOC in coming seasons. Ideal? Probably not, but a possible solution.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I think what B1G wants to do is to broadcast football Friday night through Saturday night. Not sure, in that sense, that they will be seen less.

I do believe that OU/KU, without Texas, is unlikely. Neither brings a lot of academic muscle, and I'm not sure if Delany would get the votes from touting the TV numbers. I would bring them on board, I just to know if the votes are there.

I'd say they are almost assured of being seen less compared to being seen playing Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Maryland, Michigan State, etc.

Reaction Score
I'd say they are almost assured of being seen less compared to being seen playing Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Maryland, Michigan State, etc.
Oklahoma in football and Kansas in basketball is prime-time stuff. Oklahoma-Nebraska would bring national attention to the league.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I think what B1G wants to do is to broadcast football Friday night through Saturday night. Not sure, in that sense, that they will be seen less.

Clearly neither one is Stanford academically, but much like Nebraska if it can be shown that it makes sense financially it will probably happen. Who knows what a renegotiated media deal with those two included might command? Regardless of how fans feel about conference realignment, it is 100% a money grab at this point. Geography and to a lesser extent academics be damned.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But, but, but....Oklahoma State would have to come along!

/sarcasm

Reaction Score
I have a hard time with that thought, too. The Big10 fans love playing the original teams. Many rivalries and hatred that lives within those schools. If they were to expand, it wo uld have to be a set up where they would play each other more than once every five years.

If, like it's being predicted, content and rabid fan bases becomes king, Oklahoma football and Kansas basketball become important. Matchups with OSU, Oklahoma, Michigan, PSU and Nebraska become very valuable. With Indiana becoming an also ran, Kansas just might help boost them a bit.
I don't see the Big Ten going after Kansas by itself.....compare Kansas to Uconn for example....

University of Connecticut.........pluses

Great basketball tradition....4 National Championships since 1999.
Excellent academics.....ranking of 60
18 national Championships in other sports.
Brings the NY and New England market to the Big Ten. One hundred miles around Storrs is the NY to Boston corridor with thousands upon thousands of TV's tuned in to the BTN. Reinvigorates Rutgers with an old rivalry.

minuses........A crappy football program, but excellent facilities and a new coach. Hopefully some improvement on the horizon.

University of Kansas.......pluses

Great basketball tradition....2 National Championships in the NCAA modern era.

minuses....... academically ranked 118.
Crappy football program.
Only thing within one hundred miles of Lawrence, Kansas....thousands upon thousands acres of corn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think it's that big a factor. Nebraska is not in the AAU, and neither was Mich State when it joined the Big Ten. The fan base, ticket sales, rivalry with Rutgers and Maryland, all within an extremely densely populated area from New York City to Boston. Besides, Uconn could apply for membership once in the Big Ten like Mich State did.
If the Big Ten expands they take Texas in the West and Uconn in the East, and that's the way things stack up right now. If UConn shows improvement going forward in it's football program, Kansas is toast, IMO.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's that big a factor. Nebraska is not in the AAU, and neither was Mich State when it joined the Big Ten. The fan base, ticket sales, rivalry with Rutgers and Maryland, all within an extremely densely populated area from New York City to Boston. Besides, UConn could apply for membership once in the Big Ten like Mich State did.
If the Big Ten expands they take Texas in the West and UConn in the East, and that's the way things stack up right now. If UConn shows improvement going forward in it's football program, Kansas is toast, IMO.
I'd love to see it happen.

I'd bet against it happening.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's that big a factor. Nebraska is not in the AAU, and neither was Mich State when it joined the Big Ten. The fan base, ticket sales, rivalry with Rutgers and Maryland, all within an extremely densely populated area from New York City to Boston. Besides, UConn could apply for membership once in the Big Ten like Mich State did.
If the Big Ten expands they take Texas in the West and UConn in the East, and that's the way things stack up right now. If UConn shows improvement going forward in it's football program, Kansas is toast, IMO.
Apply for membership? To the AAU? Take a look at how many schools are in it. You don't get to apply. You get invited. By the same folks that basically run the athletic conferences. Good luck with all that.

Reaction Score
Apply for membership? To the AAU? Take a look at how many schools are in it. You don't get to apply. You get invited. By the same folks that basically run the athletic conferences. Good luck with all that.

You're right about the exclusivity of the club but many of the AAU do not play big time sports. Almost half, 28 of 62.

Reaction Score
You're right about the exclusivity of the club but many of the AAU do not play big time sports. Almost half, 28 of 62.
Exactly. Those schools are considered non-threats to the old boys club that is the AAU. We're not getting into the AAU in my lifetime. UConn Health could cure cancer and AIDS and it would still be not be good enough. As we learned during conference realignment, if you're blackballed you're blackballed, and just when you think you've done enough to get off that list, suddenly the criteria changes again. I'll be happy to eat those words one day, but today is Tuesday, and one day is a date unknown in the very distant future.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If, and that is a huge if, the Big 10 wanted us I have to believe that the member schools have the juice to get us an invite, provided we continue to do the things we need to do to meet the average member metrics.

Reaction Score
Why would the B1G try to get UConn in the AAU? Two B1G schools voted Nebraska OUT of the AAU AFTER Nebraska was admitted to the B1G. Those votes were the difference in Nebraska losing AAU status as the vote was that close.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why would the B1G try to get UConn in the AAU? Two B1G schools voted Nebraska OUT of the AAU AFTER Nebraska was admitted to the B1G. Those votes were the difference in Nebraska losing AAU status as the vote was that close.
Don't disagree. My point is simply that not being AAU isn't a stumbling block if they wanted us because they've got the ability to change that pretty much at will.

Reaction Score
Ok fine so we get invited by the Big Ten and THEN get invited into the AAU, ala Mich State. And if you're such a know-it-all about the AAU, why did Nebraska get kicked out around the same time as the Big Ten invite?

Reaction Score
Exactly. Those schools are considered non-threats to the old boys club that is the AAU. We're not getting into the AAU in my lifetime. UConn Health could cure cancer and AIDS and it would still be not be good enough. As we learned during conference realignment, if you're blackballed you're blackballed, and just when you think you've done enough to get off that list, suddenly the criteria changes again. I'll be happy to eat those words one day, but today is Tuesday, and one day is a date unknown in the very distant future.
You're saying UConn is blackballed from a P5 invite? What's your reasoning genius?

Reaction Score
If, and that is a huge if, the Big 10 wanted us I have to believe that the member schools have the juice to get us an invite, provided we continue to do the things we need to do to meet the average member metrics.

You mean like Rutgers does?

Reaction Score
Don't disagree. My point is simply that not being AAU isn't a stumbling block if they wanted us because they've got the ability to change that pretty much at will.
That's exactly what they did with Michigan State.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom