I'd rather have PP than Weist | The Boneyard

I'd rather have PP than Weist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's a lose-lose, but at least one has a win in college fball.

Reaction Score
Funny. Haha. Weist is awful, I thought he was an offensive coach??

He's gone, a couple more games, no need to fret.

Another BB genius shares his wisdom.

Reaction Score

How could you watch this game and blame Weist for the loss? Team is awful. It's a matter of talent. Can't believe you really think if there was another coach the team would just get magically better. Weist is doing the best he can in a no win situation (literally)

Reaction Score
Umm, hey genius, where did I suggest PP would win this game? He wouldn't be doing worse is my point.

Weist is awful.

How could you watch this game and blame Weist for the loss? Team is awful. It's a matter of talent. Can't believe you really think if there was another coach the team would just get magically better. Weist is doing the best he can in a no win situation (literally)

Reaction Score
Umm, hey genius, where did I suggest PP would win this game? He wouldn't be doing worse is my point.

Weist is awful.

You're an idiot, how is he holding the players back? Go back to the basketball board...

Reaction Score
How could you watch this game and blame Weist for the loss? Team is awful. It's a matter of talent.

with all due respect MT the talent is not that much different from the teams that won at least 8 a year from 2007-10. They were just crappily coached for 2 1/2 years. TJ took over from P and the playcalling is significantly better. The static defense under HH is really, really really bad because HH is not putting them into positions to win, unlike his predecessor.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
with all due respect MT the talent is not that much different from the teams that won at least 8 a year from 2007-10. They were just crappily coached for 2 1/2 years. TJ took over from P and the playcalling is significantly better. The static defense under HH is really, really really bad because HH is not putting them into positions to win, unlike his predecessor.

Complete and total fantasy.

Reaction Score
Complete and total fantasy.

Really Whaler? Too fried right now to go player-by-player but this is a fail that started Jan. 16, 2011 (or whenever it was) when McHugh made Hathaway hire P. Let's say Edsall had stayed. UConn would not be 10-22 since he left and certainly not 0-8 this year. No freaking way

Reaction Score
Let's say Edsall had stayed. UConn would not be 10-22 since he left and certainly not 0-8 this year. No freaking way

Easy argument to make because we will never know...

This is a bad situation all around. Coaches, Players and Fans. Need to get to end of year without any career ending injuries and start the process to rebuild.

Reaction Score
Easy argument to make because we will never know...

This is a bad situation all around. Coaches, Players and Fans. Need to get to end of year without any career ending injuries and start the process to rebuild.

From the player perspective I hope those who have designs on coming back next season were aware the next coach, whoever it is, was very likely watching tonight and was looking at the many things that need to be fixed. Looks like re-instilling discipline and caring is No. 1 on the list.

I really want a first meeting where the new coach starts reading the riot act from the start. Call a meeting for 3, start it at 2:55 and throw out anybody who arrives after that. Lombardi/Calhoun time. Set the freaking tone.

Reaction Score
This forum should provide Dislikes for posts like this.... If only to keep a median level of IQ here....This is simply dumb...

Reaction Score
TJ Weist did the best he could with what he could (Boyle). Wish he put in Casey earlier. His shirt in that weather was ballsy. I froze till the end. There were only hundreds mid-way through the 4th quarter.

Reaction Score
I'd probably be OK if a new HC decided to keep Weist on as WR coach. And he might be a good OC somewhere that's not already a dumpster fire.
I think he's doing pretty well redeveloping the psychology of the program.

Reaction Score
OP is classic whipsaw reaction. Same stuff we saw everytime and Edsal team lost a game. Can the guy - he sucks!

TJW is in an impossible situation and probably is in over his head. Although many on this board thought he would do a good job as a HC even though he had no experience in that position. That said, make no doubt about it, P and by extension GDL, duck*ed this thing like nobody's business. A program once known for physical football and good player development is now a fraction of itself. Why? Because P and GDL were smarter than everyone else, they had NFL experience and their system would bring UCONN to the next level.

This program should have been bowling in '11 and '12 and these guys just left one game after another on the field. Last season's team was filled with NFL talent playing against a fairly easy schedule and these guys still had the thing trending down. We're 2-3 seasons away from getting back to any semblance of respectibility and folks better be patient with the new coach. There is no silver bullet here.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score

I'm in the 'less talent' camp but I'm wondering if it's less talent than the bowl era or if the players are just not playing with high enough confidence in themselves.

Reaction Score
The inside handoff has clearly found its way back into our game plan. We ran it more last night than and Edsall game. Team showed signs last night. That Hypollite fumble was so deflating. What little energy there was in the stadium was gone. People were actually excited about that first drive and our ability to move the ball on the ground. Don't think we saw Martin on the field after that

Reaction Score

Agree to an extent but we can't just argue the team would have won a ton more games with Edsall. TJW was put into a no win situation, so tough to win. Bottom line I just keep pinning it on coaches when it's clear the talent on the field, namely the offensive and defensive lines, is pretty rough.

Reaction Score
Coaching matters . . .

Coaching does matter. It matters huge. A good coach....and I'll say it......like Edsal would not have lost all of the Vandy, ISU and UMC games in '11 and with last season's team and schedule would have won 8-9 games. Moreover, with senior laden lines, the debacle that is this season would not have occurred. And yes, we don't have enormous number of playmakers, but don't be at all surprised in both Davis and Philips get serious looks by NFL teams (not to mention Ryan and Williams from last seasons crew).

Last season lit the fuse for this bomb. That defense was as good as there was in the country, playing against a fairly easy schedule. 8-9 wins were in the bag and with a little momentum - who knows. The only way you duckk-up last season was putting an OL and scheme in place that precluded you from being able to run the ball and establish play action (with an two NFL caliber TEs btw). And that is exactly what P let happen and then he let it continue into this season. That an interim HC with no former HC experience is going to come in and fix that midway through a season is pure fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom