I'd rather have PP than Weist | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I'd rather have PP than Weist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
TJ Weist is not one of our problems. We are always going to complain about in game decisions by our coach but if TJ wants to stay on as receivers coach it would be good for us. Last night he did stick to the run and it was working. Boyle is not accurate enough at this time to get us many points against a defense rated that high. The comment about TJ talking to the players was spot on, he clearly gives a damn about the players.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Coaching does matter. It matters huge. A good coach....and I'll say it......like Edsal would not have lost all of the Vandy, ISU and UMC games in '11 and with last season's team and schedule would have won 8-9 games. Moreover, with senior laden lines, the debacle that is this season would not have occurred. And yes, we don't have enormous number of playmakers, but don't be at all surprised in both Davis and Philips get serious looks by NFL teams (not to mention Ryan and Williams from last seasons crew).

Last season lit the fuse for this bomb. That defense was as good as there was in the country, playing against a fairly easy schedule. 8-9 wins were in the bag and with a little momentum - who knows. The only way you duckk-up last season was putting an OL and scheme in place that precluded you from being able to run the ball and establish play action (with an two NFL caliber TEs btw). And that is exactly what P let happen and then he let it continue into this season. That an interim HC with no former HC experience is going to come in and fix that midway through a season is pure fantasy.
You can definitely make the argument that Edsall wouldn't have tanked as badly as PP, but I think he knew UConn's recruiting was plateauing at best and probably falling below what he wanted in the Fiesta Bowl season and that (along with friction with Hathaway and academic issues with recruits) was why he got out. If Edsall didn't leave but Hathaway was still the AD and all those issues were still present I'd guess Edsall might have had 6-7 win seasons instead of 5 win seasons, but this season would still be pretty bleak unless he could have avoided the recruiting drop of ~2010. Not 0-fer bleak but still bad.

The real question should be what if Pres. Hogan had left for Illinois a few years earlier, say 2008, and Herbst had arrived while Edsall and Calhoun were still head coaches.Then Herbst hires a new AD (WM or someone else) and the athletic department is restructured, Edsall maybe doesn't have misgivings about academics and Calhoun has a little more time to ease the transition to Ollie. Who knows, maybe Edsall still leaves to be closer to his mother, but then we don't wind up with Pasqualoni.

Reaction Score
Newbie Susan had to affirm Hathaways choice, but that really belonged to McHugh who coached against PP and forced JH's hand. The next hire will have NOTHING of McHugh's skullduggery, Susan will see to that!!!:(

Reaction Score
Complete and total fantasy.

I think it depends on how you define talent. I think this team has talent, but seriously lacks skill. Defining talent more as a ceiling for a player while skill depends a lot on coaching. I think this team has talent, speed, strength, catching ability, ability for a qb to make all the throws. While skill would be more like being in the right position at the right time, reading plays correctly, and other little things like proper blocking techniques, proper route running and even little thinks like proper ball handling and tackling. All these skills are things the team seriously lacks and it appears the coaching staff has neglected the last few years. You are going to need a whole year and offseason to get the players back on the right track so nothing can really be done by the current coaching staff at this time.

As for OP that you are just ridiculous. PP proved he was more than incompetent for this job. The longer he stayed the more damage would be done, that much was clear. There was no possibility of him coming back for another year so why not see if you have a future star in Weist? What is there to lose? The season was already a lost cause and think about how damaging having a dead man walking head coach for the last 9 weeks of the season would be to our recruiting. At least with Weist he believes he has a shot at coming back next year so he wont slack on the recruiting.

Reaction Score
I think it depends on how you define talent. I think this team has talent, but seriously lacks skill. Defining talent more as a ceiling for a player while skill depends a lot on coaching. I think this team has talent, speed, strength, catching ability, ability for a qb to make all the throws. While skill would be more like being in the right position at the right time, reading plays correctly, and other little things like proper blocking techniques, proper route running and even little thinks like proper ball handling and tackling. All these skills are things the team seriously lacks and it appears the coaching staff has neglected the last few years. You are going to need a whole year and offseason to get the players back on the right track so nothing can really be done by the current coaching staff at this time.

As for OP that you are just ridiculous. PP proved he was more than incompetent for this job. The longer he stayed the more damage would be done, that much was clear. There was no possibility of him coming back for another year so why not see if you have a future star in Weist? What is there to lose? The season was already a lost cause and think about how damaging having a dead man walking head coach for the last 9 weeks of the season would be to our recruiting. At least with Weist he believes he has a shot at coming back next year so he wont slack on the recruiting.

Not to mention the special teams screwups. Best punt return Friday night negated by a block in the back away from the play.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
The real issue is it seems like the team has just given up on this season... There is ZERO pride to play for. Our program is a mess, and the coaches, and players have thrown in the towel it feels like.

Reaction Score
The real issue is it seems like the team has just given up on this season... There is ZERO pride to play for. Our program is a mess, and the coaches, and players have thrown in the towel it feels like.
The threw in the towel before the season started. Did not want to play for PP. In football, it is hard to get the motivation back once it's gone.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The threw in the towel before the season started. Did not want to play for PP. In football, it is hard to get the motivation back once it's gone.

Yup, that's why this debacle is on Manual. It clear to anyone paying attention that P should have been gone last year. This program has wasted a year it didn't have to waste and we are in even a deeper hole.

Reaction Score
Yup, that's why this debacle is on Manual. It clear to anyone paying attention that P should have been gone last year. This program has wasted a year it didn't have to waste and we are in even a deeper hole.

Exactly. PP should have been fired at end of last season, not middle of this season. It was a horrible move by Manual and we will be paying for this for years.

Reaction Score
In retrospect, I wished P had taken the same tact Edsall did at Maryland. If you're not all in, and you have allegiances to the previous coach, feel free to exit the door to your left. If anything, P was too nice when he took over. He sucked, but it is hard to watch what is going on out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom