Iconic Songs from a Debut Album | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Iconic Songs from a Debut Album

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Willin', from Little Feat's first album.

I been warped by the rain
Driven by the snow
I'm drunk and dirty, don't you know
And I'm still... willin'
And I was out on the road late at night
I seen my pretty Alice in every headlight
Alice, Dallas Alice...

(I just read that band leader Lowell George wrote this song while he was a member of Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention.)

yes he did and he and bassist Roy estrada left the Mothers to form little Feat with Billy Payne and Richard Haywood and sam clayton. Estrada left and was replaced by Kenny gradney who has been in the band since the second album. Other members of the band have been Bonnie Raitt and linda Ronstadt and Emmy lou Harris. Lead singers have included Craig fuller of pure prairie league and Shaw Murphy. Paul Barre replaced Lowell after he died in 1978 of drug abuse. Paul sadly passed away a few years ago.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Harry Belafonte's breakthrough album Calypso (1956) became the first LP in the world to sell more than 1 million copies within a year. He stated that it was the first million-selling album ever in England. The album is number four on Billboard's "Top 100 Album" list for having spent 31 weeks at number 1, 58 weeks in the top ten, and 99 weeks on the U.S. chart. The album introduced American audiences to calypso music (which had originated in Trinidad and Tobago in the early 19th century), and Belafonte was dubbed the "King of Calypso."

One of the songs included in the album is the now famous "Banana Boat Song" (listed as "Day-O" on the Calypso LP), which reached number five on the pop chart, and featured its signature lyric "Day-O".

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Technically, this was the second album of Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Poneys, but

The first album, simply called The Stone Poneys, was more folk than rock and featured relatively few lead vocals by Ronstadt; it received little notice.

For the second album, Evergreen, Volume 2, the songs were in more of a rock vein; and Linda was moved firmly into the lead vocalist position, with only occasional harmony vocals. The album includes the band's only hit song, "Different Drum".

Reaction Score
What throws me off a bit with this is the word 'iconic'. Some of these songs are great, but I'm not sure if they are really iconic. Also, it used to be that artists were forced to do covers and released only singles. Once they got famous and some power, then they would put out an album.
If you want a truly iconic song from a debut album, than I'd go with Johnny Cash and "Walk the Line". He had a number of singles released before that, but "Walk the Line" and "Cry, Cry, Cry" were on his debut album. I think no one would argue that "Walk the Line" isn't an iconic song.

For another more modern song I'd put Radiohead's "Creep" on the list. There are a lot of people who might not be able to tell you who wrote and recorded it originally, but most would know some version of the song.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
"Iconic" "Generational" -- We on the Boneyard just like to throw words around. :D Kind of like Vizzini and "Inconceivable."

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
"Iconic" "Generational" -- We on the Boneyard just like to throw words around. :D Kind of like Vizzini and "Inconceivable."
I do not think that word means what you think it means. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Nirvana - "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (from "Nevermind")

Nitpick maybe, but NM was their second album; Bleach was their debut, but nowhere near as massive an album for them as NM. I was in grad school in Seattle during the grunge days, so i was steeped in grunge.
I must disagree, Bleach was an excellent debut album and "blew" was just one of the prooths

Reaction Score
Here's a medley of songs from their first album

Without Mamma Cass, they would have been nothing, I think she is the only one who survived the end of the band, she had the voice but she didn't had a superstar body

Reaction Score
Completely ou of the topic, but for me (and Kris Kristoferson) one of the most courageous song :

Don't let the bastards get you down

Reaction Score
but to respond to the criterias, here's a song from her first album :

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads