Iconic Songs from a Debut Album | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Iconic Songs from a Debut Album

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nirvana - "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (from "Nevermind")

Nitpick maybe, but NM was their second album; Bleach was their debut, but nowhere near as massive an album for them as NM. I was in grad school in Seattle during the grunge days, so i was steeped in grunge.

Reaction Score
Suppose i'll go with Jimi's first. 'Purple Haze', 'Foxey Lady', and 'Are you Experienced' are golden in my old ears. PH is instantly recognized after the first two notes (to me anyway)

Reaction Score
Then THIS, from 1969. I'm probably stretching this a bit, but the album is in the United States National Recording Registry. Fahey was a huge influence on most pickers who followed in his steps (Kotke, etc)

Reaction Score
Suppose i'll go with Jimi's first. 'Purple Haze', 'Foxey Lady', and 'Are you Experienced' are golden in my old ears. PH is instantly recognized after the first two notes (to me anyway)

That was my first thought! I remember where I was when I heard and felt the opening notes of Purple Haze for the first time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
(I just read that band leader Lowell George wrote this song while he was a member of Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention.)
I heard that he brought that song to Zappa and Frank told George it was great but he needed to get his own band to record it because Zappa didn't do drug songs.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Argent’s first album wasn’t the one with Hold Your Head Up. It had this song, made a hit by Three Dog Night. I just found this gem of a live version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom