Ice | The Boneyard

Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great win today! Very exciting to be a UConn fan.
I don’t know how much of Ice’s conditioning has been mentioned, but I have noticed for a while that she is a tad too slow. I understand that Ice has had surgery and hasn’t played for a rather long time. She doesn’t appear to be completely over the rust of being out and in reality is a kid out of high school.
I am sure that the training staff & coaches are aware.
Once she is in shape she could and probably be a force. We need her down low badly. Looking forward to bigger things from the young ladies! Happy New Year

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think the same thing. Missed that year with injury. Still adjusting to college speed. Hopefully that’s all it is. It often takes bigger kids time to adjust, let alone be injured and sit out freshman year.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'd been intending to comment after a recent game that Ice looks as I expected her to at the beginning of the season. We're certainly seeing incremental progress (albeit in fits and starts). I'm a little disappointed but not disheartened. I hope and expect that she'll be in mid-season form and contributing somewhat by the end of the season. But at this point it looks to me as though she'll still have some freshman jitters late in the season.

I still think she'll be a good one by next season.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
With Ice, as in the past with nearly every incoming player, I maintain a "wait-and-see" attitude. Geno has (suprisingly) alluded to her need to drop a little weight to take advantage of her skills. She is coming off injury, but we're 2 months into the season now

I suspect that if she is going to get more fit and/or make a step increase in her positive impact, it will occur between seasons. Hopefully, she can earn some extra minutes this year, 'cause man, we need another two-way big for the Big Dance. Not holding my breath.

Reaction Score
I believe ICE's time will come. She will be essential as the schedule unwinds. I expect her
to "move up" from where she is now and be an important part of our "W" over N.D. this
year. There will be a game when the calls will go against Aaliyah (maybe the N.D. game),
when ICE will demonstrate the discipline that Geno talks about and make her presence
felt in the paint. GO ICE..... one day at a time.... next stop..... Creighton... use your minutes
wisely and well!

Reaction Score
I believe ICE's time will come. She will be essential as the schedule unwinds. I expect her
to "move up" from where she is now and be an important part of our "W" over N.D. this
year. There will be a game when the calls will go against Aaliyah (maybe the N.D. game),
when ICE will demonstrate the discipline that Geno talks about and make her presence
felt in the paint. GO ICE..... one day at a time.... next stop..... Creighton... use your minutes
wisely and well!
I believe her time will come as well , but not this year. Aubrey is already the first five sub off the bench; Ice plays when the game has been won. We are destined to have a Magnificent Seven, not a Crazy Eight.

Reaction Score
While UConn can always use more high performing bigs, we really don't need Ice at full speed until the playoffs. You can tell today that she cannot get off the floor or truly use her size. Hopefully within 1-2 months, things will start to improve and she will be the force I believe Ice can and will become.

Reaction Score
What I'm concerned about in regard to Ice is that she does not seem to have any back to the basket game. She is basically a jump shooting big (a bit like Amari) and i don't know if that can improve dramatically even if she gets in a much better shape.

Reaction Score
What I'm concerned about in regard to Ice is that she does not seem to have any back to the basket game. She is basically a jump shooting big (a bit like Amari) and i don't know if that can improve dramatically even if she gets in a much better shape.
She had a good back to the basket game in HS. I hope she can recover it.

Reaction Score
If Ice doesn’t find her stride before season’s end, I think she will have a very productive Summer.

Redshirting as a big, coming off a season-ending injury, is probably enough of a challenge. I didn’t expect anything from her this season but to stay healthy. She’ll get there, I’m confident.

Reaction Score
Count me as one that in hindsight had unrealistic expectations for her. Any player coming back from an ACL should be given a year's grace to return to their peak performance. I still would like to see her playing regular minutes this season though.

My revised expectation is for her to be strong contributor next season. The fact Stewie came back just as good, if not better, after her's is unbelievable (1st Team All-WNBA and 2nd in MVP voting).

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
As Geno has said, and he said it again yesterday, Ice wants to be a jump shooter. That is fine, but that is not what we need her for now. If she cannot understand that and start doing what Genos needs her for, we may end up with another Amari. Ice has to see what's going on with the team and what they need, so I don't understand why she is not busting the boards like Aaliyah.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
She had a good back to the basket game in HS. I hope she can recover it.
From some of the practice videos that have been posted, it looks like she is practicing it. What I like most is that she’s good with either hand spinning either way.

Reaction Score
One thing I see is that right now she seems more comfortable shooting as she fades away from the rim. It seems not an optimal move for a big. She needs to practice what Aaliyah is so good at, pinning the defender on her back and then turning to one side or another for a quick lay-in. I’m no coach, but I’d encourage her to play 1-on-1 against Aaliyah in practice and work on this move, maybe with Aubrey threatening a double team

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Personally i think her role matters more as a rebounder and defender than her offense, at least on this year. Her offense will take time, maybe more than this season. I’d like to see her use her strength better on D. She is still adjusting to the speed of the game and who knows how much her injury impacts here. Some players with significant leg injuries never quite return to what they were.

sun

Reaction Score
She's busy on the court & doesn't seem lost.
I'd be happy if she can recover her precision jump shooting ability.
Ice doesn't have the length or quickness of Chloe Kitts but next year we'll have Cheli.
As a lefty, IMO Ice could be better off shooting mid-range from the left side of basket.
She not used to playing so close to the basket & probably doesn't want to get her shots blocked.
At least she slowed herself down enough to make some shots.
Ice would be playing behind Carol if she were healthy.
But for now we have Aubrey to rebound & attack inside.
Once she recovers her shooting, Ice can provide some of the mid range jumpers that Aubrey doesn't.

Reaction Score
Count me as one that in hindsight had unrealistic expectations for her. Any player coming back from an ACL should be given a year's grace to return to their peak performance. I still would like to see her playing regular minutes this season though.

My revised expectation is for her to be strong contributor next season. The fact Stewie came back just as good, if not better, after her's is unbelievable (1st Team All-WNBA and 2nd in MVP voting).

Any player coming back from a season ending injury does take times however it wasn't an ACL in Ice's case if memory serves correct.

Reaction Score
I agree with what most have said here. I think she's too content to shoot the jumper, but what she should be doing is play aggressive in the post, with her back to the basket. In her mind she should be ok with failing right now and especially against lesser opponents. If we can get her to use her frame and get a bit more jump to her game I think she can be very effective.

One example of this where I was shaking my head was she had a post move and then decided to do a turnaround fade away. yes it went in, but it doesn't show that she has confidence or willingness to bang down low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom