Ice Brady: The Movie | The Boneyard

Ice Brady: The Movie

Reaction Score
Good video. Insightful about some possibilities. Personally, I’d be surprised to learn that Ice really prefers the 5. Her previous experience shows that she likes the high post too, and even the perimeter.

Also, on Jana, her HS years were like Ice’s in that both were mainly playing against less athletic competition. This is the first I’ve heard that she may not be athletic, even may be “flat footed.” I hope that she’s taking the strength and speed training as seriously as possible.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It’s nice to see this piece on Brady. Since her injury, she has been under the radar and out of the spotlight so to speak. Two players I'm particularly interested in following the progression of this summer and the first half of the season are Brady and KK Arnold. I'm hoping for a little more from Brady because she's been here for 12 full months. Arnold just arrived a week ago.

Reaction Score
Good video. Insightful about some possibilities. Personally, I’d be surprised to learn that Ice really prefers the 5. Her previous experience shows that she likes the high post too, and even the perimeter.

Also, on Jana, her HS years were like Ice’s in that both were mainly playing against less athletic competition. This is the first I’ve heard that she may not be athletic, even may be “flat footed.” I hope that she’s taking the strength and speed training as seriously as possible.
Jana appears to be about as athletic as most 6'4" players I've seen recently............not sure why he didn't show some more recent video but she appears to handle the ball pretty well for her size, can shoot three pointers with decent efficiency and has a variety of inside moves.....judging by Geno's limited but positive comments about her during last season..........he is very happy with her so far.......she's more of a four than a five so she's going to be fighting it out with Brady and Patterson......

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It’s nice to see this piece on Brady. Since her injury, she has been under the radar and out of the spotlight so to speak. Two players I'm particularly interested in following the progression of this summer and the first half of the season are Brady and KK Arnold. I'm hoping for a little more from Brady because she's been here for 12 full months. Arnold just arrived a week ago.
I really like KK's happy but in your face personality on the floor. She attacks. Lots of freshmen come in and get the air knocked out of them (Stewie to a degree) but I'm hoping KK is going to skip that chapter. Yeah, I digress in my own thread, but @Carnac started it. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Documentary of the Year!
So far. It's still early, but a good effort nonetheless. Because of Ice being removed from workouts and all physical activity after her unfortunate injury and rehabilitation, we really don't know that much about her progress at this point other than what Geno has shared in media interviews. A brief interview with Ice on about her overall condition would have been nice.

Paige went down on August 1. Brady in the last week in October. Hopefully, both will be cleared to practice (if they haven't already) and participate in the 4 European exhibition games in August. Both were missed last year. It will be great to see them both on the other side of the sidelines.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
El Alfry? Her father was a coach? Jana El Alfy's father is the Egypt National Team Head Coach.
Yes and probably a pretty good coach. but I wonder if he would qualify for a position on the UConn staff. My arrogant and spoiled opinion is no way.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I really like KK's happy but in your face personality on the floor. She attacks. Lots of freshmen come in and get the air knocked out of them (Stewie to a degree) but I'm hoping KK is going to skip that chapter. Yeah, I digress in my own thread, but @Carnac started it. :cool:
I plan on splitting time sitting on the front rows of Amari and KK’s cheering section this coming season. How can you not like KK’s personality and that ever-present smile? She's in her element and having fun when she is on the court. She'll be fun to watch this year. I wonder how far down in the bench rotation she will be?

Reaction Score

Brady's HS competition, especially AAU on the Nike circuit was light years above what El Alfy played against. What El Alfy played against most of the time was the level of US HS JV. And Brady's skills, footwork, and court awareness coming to UConn were far ahead of El Alfy's. On the second bolded sentence I agree, she'd better be.

Reaction Score
Brady's HS competition, especially AAU on the Nike circuit was light years above what El Alfy played against. What El Alfy played against most of the time was the level of US HS JV. And Brady's skills, footwork, and court awareness coming to UConn were far ahead of El Alfy's. On the second bolded sentence I agree, she'd better be.
I've watched a few of Ice's HS games, and very few (if any) of the teams in her circuit had an athletic big. On the other hand, she did play against LJCDS once, and they featured Breya Cunningham and Jada Williams. I don't remember the final score, but it looked to me like Ice dominated Breya. A video of this game, or at least highlights from it, is still available online if you want to check it out. As for AAU, the video above already discussed this, so I didn't bother mentioning it. But you can find highlights of her game against Audi Crooks online. And Ice really proved herself in the FIBA games.

Of course, Jana also played in a FIBA circuit for the Egyptian team and acquitted herself well even though the talent level of her teammates wasn't high. This is the closest thing we have to a comparison between the two of them. Jana didn't look to me to be below the level of competitiveness of the bigs on other teams, and had some skills many of them lacked, like handles good enough to bring the ball up the floor and a reliable midrange jump shot. There wasn't any head to head matchup, of course, but I'd say her conditioning and skills development (and her foot speed) looked superior to Del Rosario's last summer. And Del Rosario looked slow playing next to Ice.

What I conclude from this is that Ice was probably ahead of Jana in skills and conditioning last summer. But not so much as to cause me any concern. I hope both of them take the strength and speed conditioning very seriously. If playing with Aaliyah Aubrey and Ayanna can't inspire the big girls to great efforts, I don't know what can.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
We have been lead to believe that Jana's coach father has seen to it that she has gotten practice opponents and conditioning far above the HS and or club competition she faced. I hope so. I can't take another Amari on the same team. Don't yell at me. I'm pulling for a junior ascension for Amari. She's got so much to give if she'll just find it.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Good video. Balanced.

As we all know, there is going to be serious competition for minutes on the court. Seems Ice welcomes the competition.

I would not be surprised if Ice gets the nod to start at the 5. Right behind her I think Jana is going to be there getting her minutes. Aaliyah is the 4 - the power forward. If Ayanna makes the sophomore jump we are in business for the front line. And yes, Aubrey will be in the mix. She is just so valuable on both sides of the ball.

Reaction Score
We have been lead to believe that Jana's coach father has seen to it that she has gotten practice opponents and conditioning far above the HS and or club competition she faced. I hope so. I can't take another Amari on the same team. Don't yell at me. I'm pulling for a junior ascension for Amari. She's got so much to give if she'll just find it.
I have no idea who “we” is or what lead you to believe that but I see no evidence of it. I hope she’s great but I’ll wait to see what she’s got this fall.

Reaction Score
So far. It's still early, but a good effort nonetheless. Because of Ice being removed from workouts and all physical activity after her unfortunate injury and rehabilitation, we really don't know that much about her progress at this point other than what Geno has shared in media interviews. A brief interview with Ice on about her overall condition would have been nice.

Paige went down on August 1. Brady in the last week in October. Hopefully, both will be cleared to practice (if they haven't already) and participate in the 4 European exhibition games in August. Both were missed last year. It will be great to see them both on the other side of the sidelines.

Although there’s wasn’t much to “see” she did work outs in California with Caroline and paige.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have no idea who “we” is or what lead you to believe that but I see no evidence of it. I hope she’s great but I’ll wait to see what she’s got this fall.
I chose to be optimistic and have been lead to believe over the years that Geno knows what he's doing. “She’ll be the first, I think, Arabic speaking-woman to ever play in the WNBA,” he said during the 97.9 ESPN Coaches’ Show on Wednesday.

El Alfy’s father is Ehab El Alfy, the head coach of the Egyptian women’s national team and former professional player. She participated in the 2022 FIBA U18 African Championship with Egypt, averaging 24.7 points, 11.5 rebounds, and 2.5 assists per game. The year before, El Alfy led her country to gold at the U17 African Championship.

This past summer, she participated in a Basketball Without Borders event in Cairo, which is organized by the NBA and FIBA. El Alfy was taken with the first pick of the BWB draft by Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr and earned MVP honors."

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
What has worked for us in the past is 2 posts playing together. Last year, Aaliyah and Dorka, the year before, Aaliyah and ONO. I believe Ice may fill the Dorka role this year, rebound, play under the basket, and knock down those mid ranges. This means back-ups for both players, something we really haven't had for a long time. Enter Ayanna and Jana. That would be 4 posts that can be interchanged as they all have somewhat similar games. If these kids stay healthy and can play we will be in Post heaven, and I can't remember the last time I could say that. With this crew we could bang with the best of them, and if our backcourt can stay healthy with Paige, Azzi, Caroline, KK, and Ashlynn we could have a team that can't be beat, including LSU. I am hoping that Geno can get these kids games together to challenge our best past teams, including Stewies.

Reaction Score
Great video. I can't wait to see how they all come together. We got the players and they have a ton of talent.

Reaction Score
What has worked for us in the past is 2 posts playing together. Last year, Aaliyah and Dorka, the year before, Aaliyah and ONO. I believe Ice may fill the Dorka role this year, rebound, play under the basket, and knock down those mid ranges. This means back-ups for both players, something we really haven't had for a long time. Enter Ayanna and Jana. That would be 4 posts that can be interchanged as they all have somewhat similar games. If these kids stay healthy and can play we will be in Post heaven, and I can't remember the last time I could say that. With this crew we could bang with the best of them, and if our backcourt can stay healthy with Paige, Azzi, Caroline, KK, and Ashlynn we could have a team that can't be beat, including LSU. I am hoping that Geno can get these kids games together to challenge our best past teams, including Stewies.
I’m totally with you on all of this, @Bald Huskie. Though I don’t think of LSU as the team that sets the mark for us. Yes, they won the NC last season. But they were hardly the best team. They were an unbalanced team with lots of holes that had a hot shooting night. SC was the standard last season and only lost because Iowa caught them in a down night. And I think SC is still the team to beat — though I’m confident UConn is the team to do it!

Reaction Score
Bald Husky- - -Don't overlook UCONN's "engine", Nika, in your backcourt group!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom