Ice Brady makes the USA BB U18 Team [Merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ice Brady makes the USA BB U18 Team [Merged thread]

Reaction Score
Hope she and Del Rosario get along but in a way I hope Brady's play discourages DeRosario from UConn, if you know what I mean.
At least we get to watch some really good players play games this month. These games are almost always on Youtube's FIBA channel.
Why not hope for Aalyah Del Rosario in addition to Isuneh "ICE" Brady??
6' 6" is a nice complement to Brady's 6' 3".

Reaction Score
Del Rosario would be a good addition to UConn. I’ve seen the recent videos of her game and they show her playing with good energy and confidence. Her skill set seems a bit limited so far. But this will surely evolve over the next year.
I agree. Her 6' 6" would be very nice in the Post, with UCONN's use
of " high - low", etc, etc. She seems to be a "grounded/nice" person
in some of the videos that I have seem of her over the last couple of years!
She originally was playing in the Camden , N.J. area ?? before moving to
that the WEBB SCHOOL in Tennessee for better competition/ training. That's
near Crystal Dangerfield's hometown. The Danbury, Ct idea was new to me
as well as the ^ footnote referring to Cotie McMahon and that the footnote
reporting that
she " graduated from Centervile H.S. in the Fall of 2021 and enrolled at
UCLA in the Spring of 2022. McMahon is signed for Ohio State. So ??? multiple typos ??
editing issues?? Any ideas from Boneyarders " in the know"?? ( about POI DelRosario and
the Danbury , Conn. ideas , not about the ^ possible typo with Cotie.)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Because she's an elite player and seemingly a perfect international fit. If we were talking an all-star game, Shade not being picked would make sense. But team-oriented, unselfish play, versatile, and capable of putting aside scoring to do whatever it takes for team success? Unless she simply played really poorly, I don't see how she gets left off.
I agree with everything you are saying about Ashlynn and the type of player she is. However, USA basketball trials is a very compress time frame. The selection are based on individual drills and a bunch of scrimmages. A team oriented player such as Ashlynn does not always get the opportunity to show her real value in that kind of environment. KK Bransford and Ashlon Jackson (both class of '22) also did not make this squad. I think the result is surprising but not shocking.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
@Sluconn Husky - as our chief recruiting guru I think you have a moral [if not legal]
obligation to check out this Del Rosario info as it regards to UConn and 2023
recruiting.

That is my story and I'm sticking to it!

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Very pleased that both of our commits, Nivar and Ogden, made the team. Neither has gotten all that much hype, so I'm hoping this bodes well that they'll be able to take the baton from Jones, Belibi and Jump, alongside Betts and Agaru.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Any ideas from Boneyarders " in the know"?? ( about POI DelRosario and
the Danbury , Conn. ideas , not about the ^ possible typo with Cotie.)
I don't consider myself in the know but I don't believe this to be a typo because it was posted twice by USA basketball. The first time was when they posted the trials roster on May 30th and then again when the final team was announced on June 3rd. That is plenty of time for someone to notice and correct if it were necessary.

Reaction Score
While it is a recognition of extraordinary talent to be placed on this team, I have reservations about playing in this arena and incurring an injury that will prevent this young women to realize her potential during the regular season playing for UConn. I would prefer that she participate with the team in their reconditioning exercises under the supervision of UConn staff in preparation for the season.

This is my opinion and therefore is neither right or wrong. I do not wish to incur arguments or charged slanted statements against me.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
While it is a recognition of extraordinary talent to be placed on this team, I have reservations about playing in this arena and incurring an injury that will prevent this young women to realize her potential during the regular season playing for UConn. I would prefer that she participate with the team in their reconditioning exercises under the supervision of UConn staff in preparation for the season.

This is my opinion and therefore is neither right or wrong. I do not wish to incur arguments or charged slanted statements against me.
No charged slanted statements or arguments against you, I just happen to disagree. There was a recent thread stating that UCONN was the path to the WNBA. If that is the case then the path to UCONN may very well go through USA basketball. There have been very few successful UCONN players that have not taken the USA basketball route and that goes all the way back to DT before USA basketball was formalized as USA basketball. For Ice the benefits of playing on these teams far outweigh the downside of missing a summer session at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Not sure how to regard the benefit to UConn for a recruit to make one of these teams. Many physical therapists are blaming the rash of knee and foot injuries on playing the same sport 12 months out of the year without rest or diversifying their strength and conditioning programs. Have few examples of a player coming to UConn with an improved skill set after playing in these tournaments. Virtually all Huskies that commit to UConn's training activities show better results. Appears players have to make a choice regarding the personal PR gain of being named to these All Star Teams versus getting in UConn shape.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Geno likes having his kids play USA Basketball. He knows way more about the risks and rewards than any of us do.

Good for Brady for making the team. It will be a great experience, playing with and against the best young players in the hemisphere. She'll be in Storrs in a few weeks. In the meantime, I hope she soaks it all in, both the basketball and the camaraderie.

Reaction Score
I doubt any of the 4 guards I mentioned are better 3-point shooters than Shade. Her biggest strength is not her stamina. Lol
According to Ashlynn herself, "Her midrange game separates me". Her father is a personal trainer and she has been working with him on conditioning from a young age. She does a lot of distance running and has for years. Yes, she is primarily a 2 point shooter and yes her biggest strength is her stamina and conditioning.

Reaction Score
I vaguely remember that Aalyah Del Rosario was from the DR or some place in the Carribean and her nuclear family was still there as of a couple years ago. Forgive me but I can't remember exactly where she was from originally. She described in a video her journey as being one where she came to the US to develop as a basketball player due to her size and potential. She specifically said she was "doing it to help her family". I don't know but I think she probably is here mainly on scholarship and help from extended family in the US but she may be moving around as she essentially is a high school free agent. This girl has a plan and she's working it hard. She appears to me to be a tremendous person who is just striving to help her family and live her best life. She's improved a lot since I first saw her play via video last year. Her journey is similar to Boston's in many ways. She's a diamond in the rough but she's still a diamond.

Reaction Score
Why?
I have stated before that from what i have seen, which I admit is limited that Shade does most of her work from the post in HS. As the competition gets better I don't think she will be able to do that. If she concentrates on hitting jump shots off of screens and three point shots she will be successful at UConn. I will use a comparison of Mir Mclean being a 5'10" power forward. What works in HS doesn't always work in college.

Reaction Score
3 point shooting is even more important in international basketball isn't it? Ashlyn is a strong defender and more of a 2 point threat. Just my observation over time. Her 3 point shot may not be developed as much as others but with her work ethic it will continue to improve. Another thing is that Ashlyn's biggest strength may be stamina, which isn't needed as much on an international team. Lots of evaluators see things from different perspectives.
I look at it as a motivator to WIN more Championships - Senior year, UCONN and the "W."

Keep getting the W, Ashlyn regardless who is throwing 'shade'....

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
According to Ashlynn herself, "Her midrange game separates me". Her father is a personal trainer and she has been working with him on conditioning from a young age. She does a lot of distance running and has for years. Yes, she is primarily a 2 point shooter and yes her biggest strength is her stamina and conditioning.

She’s not ranked as a top 10 recruit for her class because of her stamina. She is very athletic and, yes, is extremely well-conditioned, but that is not her biggest strength as a basketball player. All the stamina in the world does not make a high school kid an elite recruit and Shade is an elite recruit.

I understand that her 3-pt shooting is something she can improve on but my comment was relative to the other guards chosen.

Reaction Score
I vaguely remember that Aalyah Del Rosario was from the DR or some place in the Carribean and her nuclear family was still there as of a couple years ago. Forgive me but I can't remember exactly where she was from originally. She described in a video her journey as being one where she came to the US to develop as a basketball player due to her size and potential. She specifically said she was "doing it to help her family". I don't know but I think she probably is here mainly on scholarship and help from extended family in the US but she may be moving around as she essentially is a high school free agent. This girl has a plan and she's working it hard. She appears to me to be a tremendous person who is just striving to help her family and live her best life. She's improved a lot since I first saw her play via video last year. Her journey is similar to Boston's in many ways. She's a diamond in the rough but she's still a diamond.
I notice you said “forgive me” for not remembering where a recruit was from. Is that a thing now? I hope not! I hope you were simply being extra polite (not actually concerned that people would actually blast you for not remembering where she’s from) because otherwise, I’m likely to be in big trouble! Anyway, no apology necessary Imo for “forgetting things” on or off of this forum!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have stated before that from what i have seen, which I admit is limited that Shade does most of her work from the post in HS. As the competition gets better I don't think she will be able to do that. If she concentrates on hitting jump shots off of screens and three point shots she will be successful at UConn. I will use a comparison of Mir Mclean being a 5'10" power forward. What works in HS doesn't always work in college.
I remember the posted video of a state playoff game where Ashlynn took over and dominated the game from the pinch post. She is much more skilled than just being a post player. She is no Mir McLean and I would be shocked if she is ever required to play a post position at UCONN. Just too much speculation as to why she did not make this USA Basketball team. I’m surprised that Joni Taylor hasn’t been blamed yet for Ashlynn not making the team.

Reaction Score
I’ve watched a few of her games on YouTube and she is definitely not just a post player. She has a strong midrange game, dribble-stop jumpers, and the occasional 3. She ends up playing the 3/4 from time to time because of matchups and because she’s really strong and is a ballhawk. But she’s a natural 2 on offense. Her team doesn’t do a lot of screening, which means she has to get her own shot.

On defense, she’s a lockdown one-on-one defender. Also, because of her stamina her team mainly plays a 3/4 court press with her as the main presser for the entire game. It’s not a trapping press, more like just something to harass opponents. But it means she runs the court for 30 mins.

Reaction Score
I notice you said “forgive me” for not remembering where a recruit was from. Is that a thing now? I hope not! I hope you were simply being extra polite (not actually concerned that people would actually blast you for not remembering where she’s from) because otherwise, I’m likely to be in big trouble! Anyway, no apology necessary Imo for “forgetting things” on or off of this forum!
Thanks a lot. Read my posts for even a few days and you will see that several people are on the hunt to nitpick every word I say. I am sick of it and on the edge of leaving the forum over it. I'd prefer to stay so I used the "forgive me" to stop yet another series of criticisms over nothing. I come here to share some thoughts and learn more about these kids that we all care about. I am not a basketball expert.

Reaction Score
No charged slanted statements or arguments against you, I just happen to disagree. There was a recent thread stating that UCONN was the path to the WNBA. If that is the case then the path to UCONN may very well go through USA basketball. There have been very few successful UCONN players that have not taken the USA basketball route and that goes all the way back to DT before USA basketball was formalized as USA basketball. For Ice the benefits of playing on these teams far outweigh the downside of missing a summer session at UCONN.
I am very happy about "ICE" making the USA U18 team. I believe that there are only two true "post"
players on the USA team. "Ice" ( listed as 17 yoa and , of course in the class of 2022) and Aalyah Del Rosario
( listed as 18 yoa, and in the class of 2023). So.... who plays the "POST' position for USA?? I am very interested in seeing
the playing time minutes between these two exceptional athletes. When I did some research today I saw
an old? report that Del Rosario was interested in North Carolina, South Carolina, Tenn, LSU, Texas,
U of Arizona, North Carolina State, Duke, Miami, Auburn, and TEXAS A & M. Joni Taylor, the USA
U18 head coach is now the new head coach at Texas A & M. This could be fun!! Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
I think Ashlyn is going to give Nika some competition as a defensive pest. If she can think as fast as Paige she might lead the team in steals. Anticipating passes and court vision might be even more important than a player's engine but I don't think anyone on this team has an engine like Ashlyn's. Evaluators have different priorities in team selection right? Another time and she would be a slam dunk for USA basketball. Ashlyn is a hard worker who is just going to continue to improve.

Reaction Score
Not sure how much of Shade you have seen but she is the total package and can score from anywhere on the court...........clearly her jump shot is her number one weapon and she often backs the defender in before hitting a turnaround shot although usually its from 10-15 feet away.........not sure if that is what you are referring to but because she elevates so well on that shot, I think it will be effective against most guards under six feet......

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am very happy about "ICE" making the USA U18 team. I believe that there are only two true "post"
players on the USA team. "Ice" ( listed as 17 yoa and , of course in the class of 2022) and Aalyah Del Rosario
( listed as 18 yoa, and in the class of 2023). So.... who plays the "POST' position for USA?? I am very interested in seeing
the playing time minutes between these two exceptional athletes. When I did some research today I saw
an old? report that Del Rosario was interested in North Carolina, South Carolina, Tenn, LSU, Texas,
U of Arizona, North Carolina State, Duke, Miami, Auburn, and TEXAS A & M. Joni Taylor, the USA
U18 head coach is now the new head coach at Texas A & M. This could be fun!! Stay tuned.
As @UConnCat has already pointed out you are much more likely to be bored than thrilled. This is FIBA Americas not a world championship & USA might win every game by 40-60 points. BTW although UCONN is not among the schools you listed Chris Dailey has been following Del Rosario since she was a Freshman at Trenton Catholic circa 2020.

Reaction Score
Ashlyn is clearly not a post player but in order to win some games in high school she was used to post up players for her turn around jumper in the paint. She's a more athletic Grace Berger maybe ( Indiana ). To me, her game is modeled a little similar to Grace Berger's game. She has a fairly unique skill set for a guard. Different strengths and weaknesses maybe. That can come in real handy in breaking a zone defense for example. It's interesting but Ice's game might be good at that as well. Knocking down a jumper from the foul line. If you were coaching this team, would that skill not be a useful player option?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:eek: Would it be considered "nitpicking" to point out that there are two n in Ashlynn Shade?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom