Ibd: Geno Points Uconn To The Very Top | The Boneyard

Ibd: Geno Points Uconn To The Very Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This was BRILIANT especially the first line...

Geno Auriemma has an intriguing approach to basketball recruiting. He tells the truth. Honesty is only one of the traits that has made Auriemma one of the most respected coaches in the game. His 26-year record of 771-124 (.861) is the best winning percentage among Division I active women's basketball coaches.

Shea Ralph's comments ... "All the other coaches (I spoke to) were telling me that if I went to their school I'd be an all-American and help them win a championship. Basically coach Auriemma told me I was a nice player and I'd have to earn my playing time. I really appreciated that. It struck me that if he was this honest with me when he was recruiting, he'd be honest with me about everything."

She went on to say "Probably his best attribute as a coach is his ability to get the most out of every player. People are different. You can't treat them all in the same way. He has a sixth sense on how much to push and when to hold up. That was always something that struck me as very special."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Geno expects the most from his best players. as Shea said, he won't push a Fernandez or Kerns the same way he will a Moore or Charles.

How does he spot the ones who embrace his tactics? "The ones who can handle it tell you," he said. "They don't tell you in words, but every time they go out on the court and you throw something at them, they embrace it. They look at you and say, 'Is that all you got?' They want to be challenged more and more.

"There are others who don't want that. They want to go along and be supporting players, so you really can't challenge them as much because they're not capable of handling it. In any corporation, I would venture, there are certain people who love the challenge and love the intensity level, and they're the ones who rise up to be leaders. Not everyone wants to be responsible for wins and losses."

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Geno's honesty when it comes to setting expectations with recruits is a recurring theme from Bascom to Shea to Breanna Stewart. He's only going to promise you that you'll have to work and compete at an extremely high level if you come to Storrs. WIth everything UConn's accomplished, it's less of a gamble for him to take that approach because his track record and the attraction of the program as a whole speak for themselves. The same tactic in 1987 when all he had was a vision and a joke of a court or in 1996 going after national #1 and daughter of a Tar Heel who was a friend of Pat's? Far bolder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom