I Wonder | The Boneyard

I Wonder

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
If Bria is really healthy.

How is it that CBS broke the story of the intense practices; where's John and his friends?
I'm not interested in his stupid tweets, we have to know how practices are going.
Is it possible that news is being intentionally withheld?

Where did our vaunted D go for important segments of the game

Why couldn't we find Marbry, was Muffit hiding her and saving her for us?

Why do Husky fans underestimate Diggin's heart?

How could we miss so many layups?

And why did't they charter a bloody plane to take the kids back from the West Coast?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

How is it that CBS broke the story of the intense practices; where's John and his friends?
I'm not interested in his stupid tweets, we have to know how practices are going.
Is it possible that news is being intentionally withheld?

Where did our vaunted D go for important segments of the game

Why couldn't we find Marbry, was Muffit hiding her and saving her for us?

Why do Husky fans underestimate Diggin's heart?

And why did't they charter a bloody plane to take the kids back from the West Coast?

Print media are not invited to attend shoot-arounds; only TV media is allowed to attend. It's always been that way.

I have no answers for the other stuff.

Reaction Score
I question the CBS announcers ability to assess the type of practice UConn had. These two teams are too much for them to even call a game for. The game has passed them both by. Heck, it could have been a jog through and Murphy and Crique would be gasping.

Reaction Score
Just speculation of course, but could the commercial plane ride and the rumored tough workout have been a Geno strategy to toughen up the team, to indicate to them that more hard work and toughness were needed? Hard to know how deep the layers of Geno's strategy goes compared to simply not having the budget, for example, for a charter and a spur of the moment decision to have a hard workout thinking his team was more conditioned.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Thursday is what I'm speaking of...didn't John tweet from the practice?
I can't accept flying commercial to "toughen the team." the type of thing that Pat or CViv would do.
Completely mistaken financial priorities and all evidence points to it costing the game.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Thursday is what I'm speaking of...didn't John tweet from the practice?
I can't accept flying commercial to "toughen the team." the type of thing that Pat or CViv would do.
Completely mistaken financial priorities and all evidence points to it costing the game.

Really?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Really?... Mike
Anyone remember Kelly missing an uncontested layup?

Reaction Score
Several of us in the stands had the following question at the 2 minute mark: Who would take over the game for Uconn? The answer was no one. Every one passed the ball to someone with a worse shot (yes, including Kelly's pass to KML in the corner). Until someone steps up, ala Diggins/McBride, and takes charge, tight game wins will be at a premium.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Several of us in the stands had the following question at the 2 minute mark: Who would take over the game for Uconn? The answer was no one. Every one passed the ball to someone with a worse shot (yes, including Kelly's pass to KML in the corner). Until someone steps up, ala Diggins/McBride, and takes charge, tight game wins will be at a premium.
Kelly made the correct pass to KML. She was wide open. Kelly was being chased by her defender and had Achonwa and KML's defender closing on her. One more step and it could have been a charge, a poor shot into Achonwa's arms, she possibly draws a foul or pass it out to a wide open 50% 3pt shooter.

Reaction Score
Kelly made the correct pass to KML. She was wide open. Kelly was being chased by her defender and had Achonwa and KML's defender closing on her. One more step and it could have been a charge, a poor shot into Achonwa's arms, she possibly draws a foul or pass it out to a wide open 50% 3pt shooter.

Yes KML was open and there were three defenders in front of Kelly, but they were not that close. She had a twelve foot shot and passed on it. And more importantly, no one took over at the end.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
You'd rather have Kelly shooting a contested running 12 footer than KML a wide open 3 in the corner?
I was about to type that just about word for word.....:)

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Kelly fan and have loved her approach this year. But shooting - her vs. KML? No question who I want taking the shot.

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Kelly fan and have loved her approach this year. But shooting - her vs. KML? No question who I want taking the shot.
In that case, yes. Would not have been contested IMO - they were too far away. Much easier shot with game on the line. Someone step up please.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I question the CBS announcers ability to assess the type of practice UConn had. These two teams are too much for them to even call a game for. The game has passed them both by. Heck, it could have been a jog through and Murphy and Crique would be gasping.
Geez, UConn fans, our ND visitor has it right. Murphy and Criqui didn't show me an awful lot of knowledge of the goings-on at UConn so it's more than possible a basic run-through is what passes for a killer practice for them. Why anyone would take the word of those two clowns - and, please Lord, let me never, ever, ever hear them do another women's basketball game - amazes me.

Reaction Score

KML on 3 pointers at start of game: .522
Faris on 2 pointers at start of game: .674 while some are bunnies, many are not.

Reaction Score
Geez, UConn fans, our ND visitor has it right. Murphy and Criqui didn't show me an awful lot of knowledge of the goings-on at UConn so it's more than possible a basic run-through is what passes for a killer practice for them. Why anyone would take the word of those two clowns - and, please Lord, let me never, ever, ever hear them do another women's basketball game - amazes me.
Well, right now it's speculation. What will be important is whether anyone in the print media picked up on what TV was saying and whether any of them will have either the ambition or the guts (or both) to ask Geno about it. I could be wrong, but IMHO, left to his own devices, I would not count on Altavilla to provide that information.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
KML on 3 pointers at start of game: .522
Faris on 2 pointers at start of game: .674 while some are bunnies, many are not.
If Faris takes that shot, it's not the better of the two shots. One more step and she is trapped by 2 defenders closing in on her from the front and her defender on the backside.

Reaction Score

It is part and parcel of the women's game. Coach Auriemma laments over this quite often.

I recall, in the past, the team flying commercial to and from games during holidays. I also recall the men's team flying commercial on a trip to Gonzaga a few years back; also around the holidays. My guess is that some kids go home directly from the game, and the team is not allowed to pay travel expenses for a kid going home. With so many kids going home, it would be a waste of money to charter a plane that is bound to be somewhat empty coming back. all guessing aside, a point will be made to ask someone in the athletic department. I will post their response on this thread.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well, right now it's speculation. What will be important is whether anyone in the print media picked up on what TV was saying and whether any of them will have either the ambition or the guts (or both) to ask Geno about it. I could be wrong, but IMHO, left to his own devices, I would not count on Altavilla to provide that information.
I don't think any practice had anything to do with Bria & Breanna having sub-par games. They were like that vs Oregon so it's clear they're in some kind of slump. I hope the Horde doesn't waste any time chasing down ramblings from a couple of idiots that are clearly knowledgeable about UConn.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I would certainly also be interested in the history concerning the choice of transport.
Does John fly with the team?
I can't even reconstruct the itinerary (using Kayak)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
VauConn

No one was going home, they were going back to Storrs to prepare for the game

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I would certainly also be interested in the history concerning the choice of transport.
Does John fly with the team?
I can't even reconstruct the itinerary (using Kayak)
Sometimes they fly commercial airlines and sometimes it's via chartered airplanes. I'm not sure who decides which way the team flies, probably someone in the Athletic Department.

John flies on commercial airlines. I ran into him at the airport in the Virgin Islands and he'd just got bumped from his flight had a looooong wait to get back to Connecticut. Another member of the CT press had the Trip From Hell to get home. These guys do not have it easy.

Reaction Score
I really don't understand the fascination with a flight that occurred five days before an afternoon game.

It didn't look like Bria was physically off, but rather mentally off, it seemed to all be in her head, her movement seems back to normal. I don't think she's still hurt, she just seemed to be making some mental errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom