I wish... | The Boneyard

I wish...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Given the state of realignment, I understand why people hope for UCONN to the B1G. As much as I hope that happens, I wish things were different. Truth be told, we fit better athletically with scools in the ACC. That is also where most of our rivals are.
I'd love for this to happen:
1. Get ND out of the ACC. They'll never join the ACC as a full member. If they're not willing to join a conference full time, stop taking up a spot. They are a natural fit for the B1G geographically when they are ready, but until then, get them in with the other Catholic schools where football is not played.
2. Have the ACC invite UConn and Cincinnati and go to 16. You end up with BC, CIN, UCONN, L'VILLE, PITT, SYR, VIR, & VTECH in the ACC North and CLEM, DUKE, FSU, GTECH, MIA, NC, NC ST, WFOR in the ACC south. If needed, switch Vir and Miami to have new/old ACC. That is a conference that makes sense geographically and preserves rivalries. Schools are on par with each other in most sports.
3. Have the B1G, SEC, and PAC get to 16 by splitting the BIG12 however possible that makes geographic sense maintaining rivalries. If 1 conference needs to go to 20 to include all, you do it.
4. You then have 4 power conferences... ACC, B1G, SEC, PAC. Each conference has a championship game.
5. Create an 8 team playoff for football. The 8 are made up of each conference champion (4) and four other wild cards based on some ranking.
To me this makes sense.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It makes sense if the ACC can guarantee retaining all of its current members...which it can not. The B1G and SEC will be knocking on many doors in the upcoming months/years and many of those ACC schools that you listed will be answering the door.

caw

Reaction Score
Given the state of realignment, I understand why people hope for UCONN to the B1G. As much as I hope that happens, I wish things were different. Truth be told, we fit better athletically with scools in the ACC. That is also where most of our rivals are.
I'd love for this to happen:
1. Get ND out of the ACC. They'll never join the ACC as a full member. If they're not willing to join a conference full time, stop taking up a spot. They are a natural fit for the B1G geographically when they are ready, but until then, get them in with the other Catholic schools where football is not played.
2. Have the ACC invite UConn and Cincinnati and go to 16. You end up with BC, CIN, UCONN, L'VILLE, PITT, SYR, VIR, & VTECH in the ACC North and CLEM, DUKE, FSU, GTECH, MIA, NC, NC ST, WFOR in the ACC south. If needed, switch Vir and Miami to have new/old ACC. That is a conference that makes sense geographically and preserves rivalries. Schools are on par with each other in most sports.
3. Have the B1G, SEC, and PAC get to 16 by splitting the BIG12 however possible that makes geographic sense maintaining rivalries. If 1 conference needs to go to 20 to include all, you do it.
4. You then have 4 power conferences... ACC, B1G, SEC, PAC. Each conference has a championship game.
5. Create an 8 team playoff for football. The 8 are made up of each conference champion (4) and four other wild cards based on some ranking.
To me this makes sense.

Not a single move the ACC has made, has made sense.

Reaction Score
Not a single move the ACC has made, has made sense.
excluding the fact that it totally screwed uconn, the ACC taking UofL was a good move.
Good hoops. Up and coming football with big-time coach. The ACC got that right.

Reaction Score
excluding the fact that it totally screwed uconn, the ACC taking UofL was a good move.

Those things go in cycles. UL academics is not a fit for the ACC. ACC is in survival mode.

Reaction Score
if I'm wishing, I would wish for ND to join the acc, and then have uconn invited for all sports.
and since ND is added, people won't mind if memphis and cincy are added as well. and then signa gor so we can live happily every after.

best hoops, solid fb with national contenders, and decent olympic sports.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
if I'm wishing, I would wish for ND to join the acc, and then have uconn invited for all sports.
and since ND is added, people won't mind if memphis and cincy are added as well. and then signa gor so we can live happily every after.

best hoops, solid fb with national contenders, and decent olympic sports.
This would significantly shift the balance of things especially if it translated into a bigger media contract for the ACC. I just don't see ND budging until the writing is on the wall. That's what comes from too many years of coddling. Sooner or later you believe that nothing bad could happen to you.

But ND has made enemies. I'm not sure Delaney wants them anymore. He's going to do his best to reduce ND's influence in the athletic world. They'll get just enough to prevent a religious revolt.

Reaction Score
This would significantly shift the balance of things especially if it translated into a bigger media contract for the ACC. I just don't see ND budging until the writing is on the wall. That's what comes from too many years of coddling. Sooner or later you believe that nothing bad could happen to you.

But ND has made enemies. I'm not sure Delaney wants them anymore. He's going to do his best to reduce ND's influence in the athletic world. They'll get just enough to prevent a religious revolt.
stop injecting your reality into my wish.
make your own wish,

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller, I wish I had a girl who looked good- I would call her.

caw

Reaction Score

It's the best move, not the one that made the most sense. UL does nothing for the ACC long term, IMO. It was a reactionary move.

Let me put it another way, in terms of football. If UL doesn't get the ACC invite, Strong likely leaves the program and then you tell me where they stand? If UConn gets the ACC invite, is P fired the next day?

The ACC invite had a profound effect on both schools.

Reaction Score
It's the best move, not the one that made the most sense. UL does nothing for the ACC long term, IMO. It was a reactionary move.

Let me put it another way, in terms of football. If UL doesn't get the ACC invite, Strong likely leaves the program and then you tell me where they stand? If UConn gets the ACC invite, is P fired the next day?

The ACC invite had a profound effect on both schools.

Why do people think UofL is a short term move? setting aside the uconn bias, how can you say adding UofL doesn't make the most sense? The ACC may have finally gotten a school that can compete head to head with it's SEC rival and win (Kentucky).

regardless of what people think, a coach isn't going to determine whether a schools gets an invite. UofL will be fine without Strong (or Pitino), just as they were fine without Petrino. the program has proven it is more than just a coach.

It's difficult, but you can't apply short-term success or failures to long term visions. coaches come and go all the time. conference affiliations don't result in a school getting the boot very often. to your point, if Strong left and UofL hired pasqualoni, does UofL get the boot and Uconn get the invite?

by your logic, probably not because Tuberville is now at Cincy right?

caw

Reaction Score
Why do people think UofL is a short term move? setting aside the uconn bias, how can you say adding UofL doesn't make the most sense? The ACC may have finally gotten a school that can compete head to head with it's SEC rival and win (Kentucky).

regardless of what people think, a coach isn't going to determine whether a schools gets an invite. UofL will be fine without Strong (or Pitino), just as they were fine without Petrino. the program has proven it is more than just a coach.

It's difficult, but you can't apply short-term success or failures to long term visions. coaches come and go all the time. conference affiliations don't result in a school getting the boot very often. to your point, if Strong left and UofL hired pasqualoni, does UofL get the boot and Uconn get the invite?

by your logic, probably not because Tuberville is now at Cincy right?

UL will never compete with UK in terms of viewership and that is what matters. They won't ever own Kentucky and will find it hard to own Louisville. That is why it is short term.

Athletically, it's fine but going forward you are talking about TV money and UL won't bring a ton to the table to influence TV deals and doesn't have the potential to do so. UConn carries more just by having all of CT in terms of viewership and eyeballs. Does that make more sense? I'm not saying it was a bad move, but it wasn't the one that made the most sense.

As for the other three paragraphs, either I am misreading you or you are misreading me. I'm saying the ACC invite influenced the coach to stay, not vice-versa. It seems like you are reading it the other way. I consider Strong to be a good coach. I think UL loses him if the ACC invite doesn't come. I also think they would find it hard to replace him with a good-great coach without the ACC invite, just like UConn will find it hard to upgrade without being in a better league. Not impossible but harder.

I believe UConn would have been more likely to fire P right away if they had gotten the ACC invite because they would know they could afford to do so.

If I'm going by vision, the Big Ten is doing things the right way. Look at their plan versus the ACC's and you can clearly see why every move the ACC has made has been the wrong one long term.

People can say what they want about product on the field versus eyeballs, but cable will pay for potential eyeballs over product everyday of the week. Going forward, as the disparity of riches increases due to eyeballs the talent will also go where the money is and the ACC will start to slide behind the other four conferences. That is the main reason why people think the ACC will implode. UConn may not move the needle much, but it does more than UL. Only two things can hold the ACC together long term, ND joining or Texas leaving the B12. That's it, if these schools want to compete long term.

Look, UL was probably the best move the ACC made in the entire CR scheme of things, but it didn't make the most sense. Going back to BC/Miami and VTech, not a single move has been the best long term play.

BC: never has and never will bring Boston and likely won't bring much of Mass either
Miami: third best in state at best, already have FSU
VaTech: coverage overlaps with UVA, UNC, Maryland, also don't give them a ton of credit as Cuse should have had their place and Cuse was a much better move (still not the best)

Syracuse: not a bad play but Rutgers carries more of NYC
Pitt: not bad, I'll give them that, but only got invited because BC blackballed UConn, so I don't give the ACC leadership much credit here

ND: see BE

Lose Maryland: big loss as it cuts into the NJ and DC markets and makes them lose Baltimore.

UL: not bad but UConn was on the table and UConn carries more cable/eyeballs and helps gain back some control of NYC, which the BTN encroached on with the Rutgers addition. Plus it could theoretically help BC finally bring a portion of Boston/Mass viewership into the fold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom