I was there when (rules in thread) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

I was there when (rules in thread)

Reaction Score
Despite all that, and being a Sox fan, I do think he's a good booth guy.
Seriously GIF by Debby Ryan

Reaction Score
Also Wrestlemania at MetLife when John Cena pinned The Rock

Reaction Score
I’m not a Musberger fan to put it mildly. He did no homework for the 1990 regular season game Granted UConn was having their first BE success but He kept calling the team “The UConn”. The UConn with the ball and such. Also remember the last regular season BE game that year was Georgetown vs Syracuse. The winner would be co-champs of the BE with UConn. They called the game as if it was for the outright championship never mentioning UConn that I remember.
Yes that was the specific incident I had in mind, and you take that stuff personally when you’re a drunk 21 year old college student. I guess even a mention of UConn would have ruined the classic rivals narrative he had going on. Decades later both of them are lousy.

Reaction Score
Game 4 at Civic Center of opening round of 1990 NHL playoffs. Whalers up 2-1 over the Bruins. Whalers take a 5-2 lead into 3rd period. Building was absolutely jumping. Bruins score 4 in 3rd period to win 6-5 to even the series. Of course the building was still jumping as the Bruins fans took over the building.
Oof madone that one hurt. The beginning of the end for the Whale, IMO. Those Boston fans who travelled down from Mass….quite a bunch.

Reaction Score
A small plane crashed into the stands at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, shortly after an NFL playoff game. Colts lost to the Steelers.

Reaction Score
I was at the Oakland A's vs Boston World Series Game when Clemens was kicked out of the game by the umpire.

It was really weird. Clemens was on the mound and jut stopped pitching. Play appeared to be suspended. After a few moments, Clemens walked to the dugout. There was never an announcement about why. I think I only found out what happened be listening to the car radio on the way home. He had apparently disputed a call in language that the ump didn't like.

I'm sorry, you don't kick out the best pitcher in baseball in a World Series game, unless, perhaps, he literally pisses on you.

Reaction Score
My Dad took me to my first MLB game at Ebbets Field and we saw Jackie Robinson steal home. Years later, I was at Camden Yards the night Mario Machado wrecked Dustin Pedroia’s knee and effectively ended his career.

Reaction Score
I was in the Orange Bowl for the 1992 Wide Right 2 game between the #3 Canes and the #2 Noles. Noles missed a game tying FG, wide right, as time expired. This game was the season after Wide Right 1 in Tallahassee, when FSU was ranked # 1 and Miami # 2. FSU missed a potential game winning FG, wide right, in the waning seconds.

The game atmosphere in the Orange Bowl that day was one of the best that I’ve ever experienced.
Late in that game Miami had the greatest defensive three and out series that I have ever seen. Hits like you saw back then just don't fly today, and rightfully so. The Orange Bowl was one of those old stadiums that just seems to have a lot of insane moments during its history.

Reaction Score
I was with a couple of friends in Daytona the night Hulk Hogan turned heel and formed the NWO. I have to say, the crowd reaction was up there with almost anything I have ever seen. People legit lost it.

Reaction Score
I’ll add a random one…

I was there on 18 at the TPC with my dad for the playoff hole where Spieth holed out from the bunker. I swear the ground shook.
I should add a detail to this one too…

The shot went in and I turn to my dad, then turn around to see the rows of people celebrating. I’m then watching a guy jumping up and down who proceeds to smash his head on the scoreboard on that little hill near 18. He had blood gushing down his face. They sent EMTs to assist.

Reaction Score
I was at the Oakland A's vs Boston World Series Game when Clemens was kicked out of the game by the umpire.

It was really weird. Clemens was on the mound and jut stopped pitching. Play appeared to be suspended. After a few moments, Clemens walked to the dugout. There was never an announcement about why. I think I only found out what happened be listening to the car radio on the way home. He had apparently disputed a call in language that the ump didn't like.

I'm sorry, you don't kick out the best pitcher in baseball in a World Series game, unless, perhaps, he literally pisses on you.
But is it O.K. for the umpire to kick out the best pitcher in baseball in an ALCS game? :)

Reaction Score
I was there when the Zamboners won the Club Hockey Championship at UConn. I was there because that was my team. Great team and great fans.

Reaction Score
I was at Righetti's no-hitter against the Sox on July 4th, 1983 at the old Yankee stadium. I was with 2 Sox fans and 2 Yankee fans travelling back to CT after a weekend drunkfest in Toms River NJ. We decided to get tickets last minute on the way home. Even though I am a Sox fan, it was still special to witness a no-hitter. I remember that it was very hot that day.

I was also at the Clemens/Pedro matchup during the 1999 ALCS at Fenway. The crowd was rabid that day and wanted blood from Clemens. They got it as he only lasted 2 innings and the Sox won the game but lost the series. There weren't many great moments as a Sox fan prior to 2004.

I also have many great UConn moments and one in particular that stands out was the 2006 game between UConn and Washington where Rashad hit the shot to send the Huskies into OT and a win. We all know what happened two days later. I took the afternoon off and drove down to DC from CT to see the game spontaneously.
2 days later...- Maybe for the better, actually...a little team by name of U of Florida would have been waiting for us.....the two-straight NCAA Champs-to-be.....

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Nothing too crazy, but I did see Chris Osgood score against the Whalers. At the time it was only the 4th time in NHL history a goalie had scored.

Same for me. Even crazier, I was at the Wolf Pack game a month ago where THEIR goalie scored too!

Reaction Score
I was sitting right behind the Cincinnati bench at the XL Center in 2014 when Mick Cronin and America's Referee TV Teddy Valentine went face to face and exchanged pleasantries. I think about it often.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
I was there when J.C. had his moment of doubt and pain.

Reaction Score
Virgil " Fire " Trucks no-hitter against the Yanks. I think 1952.
Carter's windmill dunk against Uconn.

Reaction Score
Orange Bowl when Colorado beat Notre Dame to finish #1, controversial game. Dream team winning gold in Barcelona, watched the game sitting next to Chris Mullin's brother.

Yankees Padres game 1 World Series. Yankees were down 5-2 in the 7th before Knoblauch tied it with a 3 run homer and Tino blew it open with a grand slam, loudest I've ever heard a stadium. We watched the game with the players families and got our tickets through Daryl Strawberry's wife. Lou Piniella getting thrown out and kicking dirt all over the umpires as the fans littered the field with garbage at Wrigley.

Chris Osgood empty net goal vs. the Whalers at the Civic Center. Front row for Hulk Hogan v. Paul Orndorff Steel Cage Match at the Civic Center for Saturday Night's Main Event.

Derek Redmond and his dad at the Barcelona Olympics.

Reaction Score
Anyone catch 10 cent beer night or the disco demolition? Before my time, and place, but those would each be on my time machine list.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was sitting right behind the Cincinnati bench at the XL Center in 2014 when Mick Cronin and America's Referee TV Teddy Valentine went face to face and exchanged pleasantries. I think about it often.
That's when I became a Mick fan. He didn't back down an inch. Real time I was thinking "Valentine isn't pulling that on Calhoun". (Yes, I know Ollie was the coach that year)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom