I was hoping to like Kellie Harper | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I was hoping to like Kellie Harper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like Harper. The question posed to her was awkward and she handled it as well as could be expected in the circumstances. No need to beat her up for her answer.

She's in a very tough spot with so many comparing her to Pat and expecting the same results.
I respectfully disagree. How could anyone not say some good words about what Geno has done for WBB?
You don't have to be in a good mood to say that the game would still be in a backwater and there would probably not even be a WNBA without Summit, Auriema, and Vandeveer. If she is that easily rattled she is in for a rough ride as a coach.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
What I found inexcusable: Notwithstanding Geno's saying a lot of supportive stuff re Kellie Harper, and her inability to rise in the moment to reciprocate, it was totally unacceptable that she brought Rickea Jackson to the post-game presser! It was a form of accepting/overlooking Jackson's atrocious intentional foul to Aaliyah.
Pretty sure the coaches do not decide who comes. It is usually the people that the press request.

Reaction Score
Kelly Harper is a good coach for the Lady Vols. Her misspeaking about Geno is understandable under the circumstances. She just go beat in a home game. She was and is mindful of the consequences of such a failure in the minds of LV fans. We should give her a brake!

Reaction Score
Was I the only one to resent her response at the presser as to what she thinks Geno has done for women's BB?
She didn't say one nice thing. Only that UCONN fans love him and everyone else not.
He does it on purpose to take heat off the team.
Nothing about him being a great coach (not to say the best ever) who put WBB on the map because someone could finally challenge the Lady Vols.
She didn't say one nice thing.

sorry, but get lost Kellie.
I completely disagree. I heard her and I thought she had spot on comments from a bitter rival. She said he is loved by his fans and even his rivals love to hate him. That's actually quite a complement. Then she went on to describe how he is a selfless coach and puts himself on the firing line to protect and shield his players. What a high leadership honor.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
"If you read VolNation,..." A good rule of thumb that I try to follow is that statements following that phrase are unworthy of serious consideration.
Never has a bigger truth been told.

Reaction Score
Hope I don't sound too off base here but, did anyone else notice some of the scowls KH was giving on the side line? I thought she looked like a young Pat S. (No disrespect to P.S). .I just noticed it and was curious if anyone else saw it????
Yes!!! Allll the time I think this

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Kelly is a reflection of her playing and coaching experiences.

We have the finest coaching in WBB, Mens or Womens College Team Sports and quite arguably best of all time in all those categories.

Overlaying our expectations of coaching on to a person that has not had the benefit of working in a system like that will always lead to the impression of short comings in her style, approach, player development and team success.

I couldn’t accomplish 1/10th of what Kelly has done I would like to hear from someone on the board who thinks they can be a better coach than her in all facets of what Modern WBB HC coaching entails.

College coaching in general there isn’t anyone I can think of at CD or Geno’s level on having a program that develops young people for life the way the do. While also teaching the game of Basketball and achieving the level of success they have.

Yes I would like Kelly to be a better coach take a step back reassess her Vision for her program. Ask herself am I building young people up or am I missing development opportunities with them.

It was a glaring difference in the post game presser go back and listen to TN vs UCONN players articulate, observe body language. It is attention to detail, a bearing you need to carry yourself with, a positive attitude and supportive of your teammates that is embodied and key elements in the formula for moving people to the level of Champion.

Reaction Score
What I found inexcusable: Notwithstanding Geno's saying a lot of supportive stuff re Kellie Harper, and her inability to rise in the moment to reciprocate, it was totally unacceptable that she brought Rickea Jackson to the post-game presser! It was a form of accepting/overlooking Jackson's atrocious intentional foul to Aaliyah.
If she wanted to speak the truth, she could have said that a HOF coach, with the players he had at his disposal, just coached the pants off her.

Reaction Score
The story line of this game was how one coach led a talented but exhausted bunch of 5 players to a resounding victory over a should-have-been-inspired, full, hometeam roster despite a great return performance by their injured star player.

You don't have to be more than 12 years old to see the post-game contrast between a gracious and respectful coach (and he's like that even on the rare occasions when he loses) and the attitude by Kellie. Her defenders can say what they want, but she had an opportunity to use this national platform to say something nice about a true pioneer who has done so much for WCBB, just as Geno has always been supportive of Kellie and never misses an opportunity to pay homage to Pat. Don't give me this baloney about how we're criticizing her for what she DIDN'T say, or that she damned him with faint praise about shielding his players. Doug Bruno has never beaten Geno, yet his post-game pressers are full of grace. To be a coach of a great program, you have to have grace. Geno has it; she doesn't. And it's reflected in the humble words and appearance of every player UConn brings to the dais, whether rookie or veteran. The UConn program stresses maturity both on and off the court. Even the disappointed Seton Hall coach remarked that Geno's talent is not in recruiting great players, but in DEVELOPING great players.

I agree that it was most inapproriate to put Rikea Jackson on the dais after the game. If that wasn't Kellie's doing, then it reflects poorly on the ESPN producer. It was a fitting bookend to what was a most disappointing College Game Day production. They missed an historic opportunity to glorify the women's game by highlighting what the competition between these two programs has done for the popularity of the game over the past 3 decades. Most revealing was the one statistic they focused on at the start of the game. Instead of comparing all the championships, the fact that Geno has by far the best winning percentage of any coach in the history of the game, and the fact that he recently smashed through the barrier of winning a thousand games more than he has lost, they splashed across the screen the total number of victories by Tennessee since their women's program began, compared with the total number of victories the Connecticut program has racked up since they began (not head-to-head, mind you; obviously numbers vastly in favor of Tennessee). That's like settling the rivalry between the Yankees and the Astros by comparing the total number of Yankee wins since their birth (around 1901) with the total number of Houston's wins since their birth (in the early 1960s).

I never really paid much attention to all the comments about how ESPN snubs UConn. But this production really opened my eyes.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I have no problem with Kelley. She is a better coach that Holly. She is in a no win situation. Go to Volnation to read what they say about her. No one can compare to Pat.

So this is all much ado about nothing.

As for ESPN - they are not all that.

Reaction Score
Didn't a few years ago the SC fans give Geno a big ovation? When do you see that coming from Volsnation fans?
Completely different situations…UConn supplanted Tenn as the top program…and Geno took some shots at Pat back in the day- comments that we thought were funny and just part of Philly/ New England sarcasm but that fan base took every one as a personal shot at their revered coach. They won’t forget that as long as Geno is coaching…There is no such history with Dawn/ South Carolina.

Reaction Score
I just asked for the same kind of attention be paid to men. Why would you think that is sexist?
Your own statement reads that way. "I just asked for the same kind of attention be paid to men" If Kellie was Kenny and Pat Summit had been Patrick Summit I would have commented the same way.......

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I just asked for the same kind of attention be paid to men. Why would you think that is sexist?
Because you made it about gender rather than about the action on the sideline?

For what it’s worth, there is a ton of commentary on Dan Hurley’s facial gyrations.

(Also for what it’s worth, I didn’t notice anything, particularly troubling with Harper’s sideline demeanor, and her press conference didn’t particularly bother me either.)

Reaction Score
I like Harper. The question posed to her was awkward and she handled it as well as could be expected in the circumstances. No need to beat her up for her answer.

She's in a very tough spot with so many comparing her to Pat and expecting the same results.
Harper's comments are relatively easy to understand. If one of us posted good things about the Volunteers in the Boneyard, a lot of heat and thumbs down replies would follow. Kelly's poor recruiting and in game decisions have created pressure from some of the more vocal Vol alums. What value would she gain by saying too many nice things about UConn and in particular Geno?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom