I want UMass in the league | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I want UMass in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah and like I said earlier - if we are in this league 3 or 4 years from now it really won't matter who is in it cuz Uconn will be toast.

Reaction Score
No one at the school is asking to shut down our football program. Sio Moore said we're on the map. It sure seems to me we are.

I would definitely welcome UMass to the league. We still have a better stadium and game day than them.

Butch...I totally agree that no one in authority is asking to shut your program down. That was exactly my point. No one at UMass is either. A disgruntled achitecture professor channeled his contempt for athletics through a Faculty Senate that has absolutely no authority to make UMass do anything. The only reason anyone even heard anything about it is because he found a sympathetic ear from Bob Hohler at the Boston Globe who has badmouthed UMass every chance he has gotten. If that name sounds familiar look up some of the stories he has written about you guys in the past. He is a BC homer and a shameless one at that.

And just for the record...they did not vote on whether or not to shut down football. The vote was to empower this faculty senate to study the financial inpact of staying FBS, dropping down to FCS, or dropping football altogether. Merely a financial fact finding thing that got blown out of proportion

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Butch...I totally agree that no one in authority is asking to shut your program down. That was exactly my point. No one at UMass is either. A disgruntled achitecture professor channeled his contempt for athletics through a Faculty Senate that has absolutely no authority to make UMass do anything. The only reason anyone even heard anything about it is because he found a sympathetic ear from Bob Hohler at the Boston Globe who has badmouthed UMass every chance he has gotten. If that name sounds familiar look up some of the stories he has written about you guys in the past. He is a BC homer and a shameless one at that.

And just for the record...they did not vote on whether or not to shut down football. The vote was to empower this faculty senate to study the financial inpact of staying FBS, dropping down to FCS, or dropping football altogether. Merely a financial fact finding thing that got blown out of proportion

Your "fans" are asking for it to be shut down by not giving a about UMass football.

Reaction Score
If you people can build a reasonable stadium in Amherst or Springfield, I think you'll be a welcome addition for competition in the northeast. I would love to see New Hampshire step it up.

Reaction Score
If you people can build a reasonable stadium in Amherst or Springfield, I think you'll be a welcome addition for competition in the northeast. .
It's not happening Butch. There is no appetite for it here politically and the Commonwealth is broke. Our illustrious Governor is fighting with his own party to increase taxes just to meet his budget projections.

Reaction Score
Your "fans" are asking for it to be shut down by not giving a about UMass football.
They have football fans. Second or third oldest FBS program in the country.

Reaction Score
It's not happening Butch. There is no appetite for it here politically and the Commonwealth is broke. Our illustrious Governor is fighting with his own party to increase taxes just to meet his budget projections.
I guess they'll be stuck in their old stadium. Easy dominance then. Bring them in!

Reaction Score
Oh yeah I worked in the Mass State House for a state rep for 5 years too - so actually I DO have insight as to how and what they think about Umass there.

And my point about McGuirk stands - it will be a glorified 1-AA stadium with a max of 25,000 seats eventually. That screams small time no matter what kind of scoreboard you have there. And thanks for clarifying the Gilette deal - since that will end it makes the situation even more laughable - so we will invite Umass into this league with an expiring Gilette deal and a stadium that currently seats 17,000 and eventually a whopping 25,000? Yeah, that will help the league's rep.

For those of you pumping Umass to this league read what Mark wrote above - his words not mine - you want a school with those kinds of facilities (the upgraded ones) and plan in this conference?

Gillette was a stop gap measure that allowed us to make the move. The MAC did not have the provision you guys got to take advantage of, where you got the waiver to play your first two years at your old stadium. The stadium at McGuirk has the ability to be expanded to an attendance level that will be more than adequate to handle the crowds. Much like your plan to expand yours if the Big or ACC come calling, UMass will do what is necessary for whatever situation they find themselves in.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Good God Butch - you and Nelson are killing me.

First, Nelson. Yes status quo is better than action when the action involves adding UMass - it just makes no sense by any metric: 1) they add no value because nobody anywhere gives a about that school; 2) they spread their stink all over our athletic department; 3) there is a good chance they are not Div. 1 in a few years; 4) they take up a spot on our schedule that we NEED to fill with quality, name opposition. Your argument suggests that if I gave you two choices: 1) that do nothing; or 2) I kick you in the nuts you, would take the kick because action is always better than inaction.

Butch. Your posts are single handedly ruining my weekend. For any outside visitors that read this drivel about UMass and New Hampshire please know that UConn fans who pulled their heads out of their a$$es anytimes between 1979 and 2013 are absolutely against adding a single more dreg to this mess.

Reaction Score
Much like your plan to expand yours if the Big or ACC come calling, UMass will do what is necessary for whatever situation they find themselves in.
Really? How do you plan to build a $150 million stadium with at least 40,000 seats? That is what Umass needs. I'll believe it when I see it.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
They have football fans. Second or third oldest FBS program in the country.

Those two statements don't offer a correlation. But if you want to amuse yourself, count the number of "fans" in this stadium. The article says 6,385 - let me know what you come up with.

As if its bad enough we are going to be playing in empty stadiums in Phili, NOLA, Houston and SMU you want to add this.

Reaction Score

First, Nelson. Yes status quo is better than action when the action involves adding UMass - it just makes no sense by any metric: 1) they add no value because nobody anywhere gives a about that school; 2) they spread their stink all over our athletic department; 3) there is a good chance they are not Div. 1 in a few years; 4) they take up a spot on our schedule that we NEED to fill with quality, name opposition. Your argument suggests that if I gave you two choices: 1) that do nothing; or 2) I kick you in the nuts you, would take the kick because action is always better than inaction.

Butch. Your posts are single handedly ruining my weekend. For any outside visitors that read this drivel about UMass and New Hampshire please know that UConn fans who pulled their heads out of their a$$es anytimes between 1979 and 2013 are absolutely against adding a single more dreg to this mess.
Let me help more:

http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball/index.ssf/2013/02/revisiting_umass_realignment_s.html

Reaction Score

Geesh...UMass admissions turn you down????? You got issues!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Those two statements don't offer a correlation. But if you want to amuse yourself, count the number of "fans" in this stadium. The article says 6,385 - let me know what you come up with.

As if its bad enough we are going to be playing in empty stadiums in Phili, NOLA, Houston and SMU you want to add this.
I am in for a road trip to the Patriots' museum!

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Butch,

This article does nothing to reinforce your point. In fact, if you could read, you would see that the premise was finding a landing spot for UMass where they could suckle on the NCAA credits that other teams earn. For instance this quote: "This is a significantly better basketball option — Cincinnati, UConn, Memphis and Temple are all legitimate breadwinners in terms of units." Find me an article that shows me how they benefit UConn.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Geesh...UMass admissions turn you down????? You got issues!!!!!!!

Issues is having business acumen? I will give you one post, and take your time to respond, where you show this board how adding UMass to whatever mess we are temporarily consigned to, is beneficial to UConn.

Reaction Score
Butch,

This article does nothing to reinforce your point. In fact, if you could read, you would see that the premise was finding a landing spot for UMass where they could suckle on the NCAA credits that other teams earn. For instance this quote: "This is a significantly better basketball option — Cincinnati, UConn, Memphis and Temple are all legitimate breadwinners in terms of units." Find me an article that shows me how they benefit UConn. Are one where anyone shows me what they add, rather than detract.
I was just throwing the mention of UMass in a conference with UConn in an article for fun. But it is still a thought on their minds.

I do think UMass would give UConn one in-conference game that people would enjoy. Or we can play them instead of Buffalo.

Reaction Score
Issues is having business acumen? I will give you one post, and take your time to respond, where you show this board how adding UMass to whatever mess we are temporarily consigned to, is beneficial to UConn.

My first post, which I'm not sure you saw or not, stated that I am a UMass fan fully aware of our standing right now and I have no delusions as to our status. Is Umass where UConn is?? Absolutely not. The entire point I am trying to make is that I see no reason for the animosity and the desire to block UMass from a conference you want nothing to do with. I agree with your posters that believe UConn (and more than likely Cincy) are headed for greener pastures. I really don't consider myself a starry-eyed optimist and I think UMass fits nicely into what will be left in whatever they are going to call that conference. Memphis, Temple, ECU etc. are NOT going to dominate UMass and UMass will fit nicely into that conf. Never...let me repeat that...Never...have I said UMass is on the same level as UConn. I know you don't want to play us in hockey though ( alright, that was cheesy...just had to get it out there)

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
I have no animosity at all towards UMass and wish the school well. My premise is that UConn needs to stem the bleeding right now from a perception standpoint and part of that includes not adding more members to this league because 1) our image is low enough as is; 2) we need the flexibility to schedule out of conference. If/when UMass steps up and has a stadium, some big wins, and apparent fan support I am not opposed to playing regularly, just now is not the time.

Regarding hockey, slightly different scenarios (e.g. Hockey East has no perception problem), but I wouldn't begrudge UMass for not wanting us in that this point.

Reaction Score
I have no animosity at all towards UMass and wish the school well. My premise is that UConn needs to stem the bleeding right now from a perception standpoint and part of that includes not adding more members to this league because 1) our image is low enough as is; 2) we need the flexibility to schedule out of conference. If/when UMass steps up and has a stadium, some big wins, and apparent fan support I am not opposed to playing regularly, just now is not the time.

Regarding hockey, slightly different scenarios (e.g. Hockey East has no perception problem), but I wouldn't begrudge UMass for not wanting us in that this point.

Just out of curiosity...rumor has it UConn will have men's lacrosse soon....do you know what conf. they will be in? Does this new conf. have lacrosse?

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
i would be impressed if this league had a port-a-potty at this point.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity...rumor has it UConn will have men's lacrosse soon....do you know what conf. they will be in? Does this new conf. have lacrosse?

I don't think UConn and lacrosse is necessarily going to happen any time soon - there aren't any lacrosse-playing schools in the new tire fire conference that I am aware of.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
No one is happier that me that UMass upgraded football and is attempting to become relevant. But don't let me paint too pretty a picture here. We probably lead the northeast in an apathetic fan and alumni base. The screaming on the Umasshoops board is to add 10-12 thousand seats or build an off campus facility.My take is to get our heads out of our asses and fill up the 17,000 Mcguirk currently seats or put more than 12,000 in Gillette. Those 2 professors I mentioned would have a field day if we spent millions to add seats and 8,000 of us showed up. The onus now is clearly on the fans and alumni. I'm a season ticket holder in football and basketball, but we need many, many more.

There is the saying that winning cures all ills, and to some point I agree. It is showing in basketball now. I was a season ticket holder during the Calipari days and still during the Lappas days (can still see the tumbleweed blowing over the empty seats). We're somewhere in the middle now but getting better.

I can't expect everyone to share my optimism and I understand your "let's wait and see" approach.

Oh, we have those too. Did you know that some of our games are only played from mid-way through the 1st quarter until halftime? If you polled about 5,000+ each game, that's what they'd tell you.

I think both of our schools need some patience to get where they want to go. Would I lose sleep over UMass joining the Big East/Big Aresco? No. But for the same reason why I understand schools like Michigan not wanting to share revenue with schools like UConn, I don't want to share any more revenue than what we'd currently have to unless it meant UMass replaces Tulame (or any of the other lame additions not named Navy).

What I'd love to see happen is UConn/UMass sign up for a decade long home and home series in football and basketball as OOC rivals. I think this area would like it. Over time, there will surely be a player or two (or coach or two) that will do something stupid or say something stupid that will lead to intensified feelings towards one another. Then Blam-O! You got yourselves an old fashioned "Battle of New England" that the Golden Birdsh1t is no part of while they perch out there in their isolated golden island and that would expedite your move to the Big East/Big Aresco. Hopefully, UConn will be B1G or ACC bound by then but if not, at least we'd have a geographic rivalry again in this current POS conference.

Reaction Score
I don't think UConn and lacrosse is necessarily going to happen any time soon - there aren't any lacrosse-playing schools in the new tire fire conference that I am aware of.

Were UConn to start playing lax, they would obviously not be playing with any of its football or basketball partners, unless we were to get a life vest tossed to us by the ACC (or a life yacht from the B1G, although they are unlikely to start the league without a sixth member; it is, to my knowledge via hockey, a long-standing B1G by-law that a B1G schedule can and will be played in a sport only when there's six members in that sport).

Men's lacrosse is built, however, on a patchwork of associate memberships and a lax-only league. Realistic options for a hypothetical new UConn lax team: Colonial, ECAC, Northeast, or as a sixth warm body for the C-7 so they can get an autobid. Long-shots: ACC or B1G, but that's dependent on an all-sports invite.

America East: Solid at six members, and not really looking; will be getting new blood with UMass-Lowell.
ACC: If and only if we get an all-sports invite. Even losing Maryland and gaining Notre Dame, they're good to go for 3-4 bids to the tournament a year without an automatic bid.
Catholic Seven: Has five members, looking for a sixth. Options: St. Joseph's (Colonial), Detroit Mercy (MAAC), Richmond (starting in 2014), Fairfield (ECAC).
Colonial: Probably going to lose Penn State, but they'll have four core and two associate members. My money is on Richmond going here when they start play.
ECAC: Looked strong, but is probably sitting on five members should a B1G league start (Air Force, Denver, Fairfield, Hobart, Bellarmine (KY)). On the other hand, if no official B1G league does start up, Maryland and Penn State might look for a home here.
Ivy: Basically the only conference that's untouchable as far as realignment goes in any sport. The only team that will ever be added to their lacrosse league is a start-up program at Columbia.
MAAC: Gaining Monmouth and Quinnipiac, but likely to lose Jacksonville and maybe VMI to a new Southern-focused league.
NEC: Just got to auto-bid status when Bryant transitioned, but now they're short one from losing Quinnipiac, and have no good candidates to fill that last slot.
Patriot: Strong lax league gets stronger by adding Loyola (and also will get BU).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom