I want to see Brimah play a lot, AND | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I want to see Brimah play a lot, AND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
People forget what we will be losing next year. The point will be a bigger question than center next year.
Yes, Bazz is irreplaceable, but if Boat fully matures and if Samuel develops to a Div 1 level, we will be okay. Big 'ifs' but conceivable. Boat is the question, but also the answer.

Reaction Score
He's still a complete liability on offense. The ball is still slipping through his hands like water and he can't make a dunk.
He had a couple opportunities for tips that just didn't go. Like instead of just slamming it he tried to throw it from above into the hoop for some reason.

Reaction Score
Yes, Bazz is irreplaceable, but if Boat fully matures and if Samuel develops to a Div 1 level, we will be okay. Big 'ifs' but conceivable. Boat is the question, but also the answer.

Boat is what he is, and Samuel is Donnell Beverly 2.0. Sam Cassell is more likely to be the first ballhandler off the bench, probably 10-15 minutes a game.

It's really a question of whether we can get by with two Boat-types (him and Purvis) running the show. Maybe one of them will develop into a serviceable distributor, otherwise it could be a ton of 1-on-1.

Reaction Score
People forget what we will be losing next year. The point will be a bigger question than center next year.
Agree. We only have 1 PG who has proven he can play the position. Samuel may never be ready for Div. 1 and converting combo guards is ify at best. The front court will be older, more experienced and hopefully a bit bulkier. Our problem will be in the backcourt.

Reaction Score
Have you been watching a lot of Samuel in practice?

No. Like the rest of us, I glean things about the team from what I see in games. And what I see in games is Samuel not getting off the bench and, when he does, is good for a few dribbles and a handoff. I don't see him being more than a Beverly type, and considering Ollie brought in two additional PG candidates for next year (i.e. recruiting over Samuel) and is still looking for another for 2015, I don't think the staff expects more of him than that.

That being said, I'm actually more concerned about the (non-)contributions of Facey. It's apparent that Ollie doesn't consider him to be an upgrade at the 5 over the under-athletic Olander, deer-in-headlights Nolan, or butcher-shop-raw Brimah, so where is he going to play? What's his eventual role? Are we going to go to a big lineup, with Facey at the 4, sacrificing offensive flexibility? Probably not next year, with DD back. If he's not getting minutes at the 5 over Nolan and, especially, Brimah at this point, when would he ever?

Reaction Score
I've got to tell you with the way this not even close to being "one of the best backcourts in the country" is playing, I can't wait to get a new group of guys in here. I want a team oriented backcourt, this one is not.

Reaction Score
Brimah is an exciting prospect, but he is a project. He is very athletic and shot blocking seems to come natural to him, but he currently has poor hands and has difficulty rebounding and catching the ball. If he had better hands, we would see more put backs and tip ins, but it just doesn't happen. When there is a competitive rebound, I see Brimah either out of position or unable to secure the ball.

His stats tell the story: 42 blocks, 37 points, 37 PFs, 31 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal.

If you compare Thabeet as a freshman with Brimah, Thabeet, who was a project himself, was further developed than Brimah at this stage:

Thabeet: 24.6 min., 6.2 pts, 6.4 reb, 3.8 blocks, 2.6 PFs, 0.4 assists, 0.2 steals

Brimah: 13.1 min., 2.5 pts, 2.1 reb, 2.8 blocks, 2.5 PFs, 0.1 assists, 0.1 steals

Brimah 24.6 min/gm stats: 24.6 min., 4.7 pts, 3.9 reb, 5.3 blocks, 4.7 PFs, 0.2 assists, 0.2 steals

Brimah blocks more, but he fouls more and doesn't score or rebound as well as Thabeet did during his freshman year.

I have confidence that Brimah will improve, but all of us need to recognize that he is a project, even more so than Thabeet.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
No. Like the rest of us, I glean things about the team from what I see in games. And what I see in games is Samuel not getting off the bench and, when he does, is good for a few dribbles and a handoff.

I don't disagree with this, but let's not forget the kid has played college ball for less than half a season. Don't assume he can't improve and become a productive part of the team.

Reaction Score
Cassell is a combo guard, not a PG. And, in case Boatright leaves to play overseas, you need at least one more PG than Samuel. I'm also struggling to figure out who is the other PG we recruited. I thought our recruiting class consisted of Hamilton, Lubin and Cassell. None are PGs, though Cassell may be a combo. If you're referring to Purvis, he's not a PG either.

Samuel was ranked pretty highly for not being D1 caliber. It would be a very bad recruiting miss by many if a player ranked 100-150 was incapable of playing D1.

I'm going to assume that he doesn't play as a freshman because Ollie prefers 35 minutes of Napier, Boatright and 25 minutes of Kromah.

Reaction Score
He had 5 fouls in 15 mins against an undersized team. How long would he last if he had to play against power players??

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I've got to tell you with the way this not even close to being "one of the best backcourts in the country" is playing, I can't wait to get a new group of guys in here. I want a team oriented backcourt, this one is not.
I just don't get how Napier could be accused of being too eager to get others involved and also not team-oriented. And have you missed Boatright's play over the last month? I can't imagine what you mean here.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Maybe on the DD scale. Couple minutes left and he just stood there while the shooter went around him to got his own rebound and put it in. He should be a beast by now.
He played poorly the first minute and the last 1:32 minutes of the second half. The rest of the half he played liked the end of last season. He has the skills. Most likely OC does as well. The problem is most likely that they get into funks during games. Even Bazz does this on occasion, but that's the difference between him and DD/OC. They do it regularly.

UConn does not win the game against Harvard if DD played in the second half like he did in the first half.

C

Chief00

The people who want to give Tyler the minutes don't know ball. You need to challenge the refs by trying to play Brimah big minutes; sure they will foul him out at first but then the refs will respect him and besides it looks bad fouling a guy out continuously. Ollie needs to plant some seeds in the media to that affect. Also, I couldn't believe how Ollie sat there and took that out of bounds call on Giffey when he was clearly pushed. Going back to Brimah, I think Miller is really screwing up on his minutes. Play the dude!

Reaction Score
Going back to Brimah, I think Miller is really screwing up on his minutes. Play the dude!

He fouled out in 15 minutes last night. Maybe they should have asked the refs if he could borrow someone else's fouls?

Reaction Score
upstater said:
Cassell is a combo guard, not a PG. And, in case Boatright leaves to play overseas, you need at least one more PG than Samuel. I'm also struggling to figure out who is the other PG we recruited. I thought our recruiting class consisted of Hamilton, Lubin and Cassell. None are PGs, though Cassell may be a combo. If you're referring to Purvis, he's not a PG either. Samuel was ranked pretty highly for not being D1 caliber. It would be a very bad recruiting miss by many if a player ranked 100-150 was incapable of playing D1. I'm going to assume that he doesn't play as a freshman because Ollie prefers 35 minutes of Napier, Boatright and 25 minutes of Kromah.

Cassell is a pg.

Reaction Score
That's my hope. I'm concerned with Boat at the point. Too many turnovers.

2 per game. Lowest of his career with the most responsibility in the offense he's had. 12 assists against 3 turnovers over the last three games. The kid just gets a bum rap, that's about it.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Really? You think they will be a better backcourt w/o Shabazz? I think the frustration of the past few weeks is working it's way through your brain.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
2 per game. Lowest of his career with the most responsibility in the offense he's had. 12 assists against 3 turnovers over the last three games. The kid just gets a bum rap, that's about it.

I realize Boat has improved from forcing a lot of drives/shots and I know he has great assetts. My fear is that by regularly playing the point, he might regress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom