I want to punch GOTTLIEB in the mouth | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I want to punch GOTTLIEB in the mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I just watched the game this morning, essentially every comment on him was a dig at UCONN,

"too much one side of the court", "young team can't close", "worst championship game ever", blah blah blah, too many to recount

You can feel his dislike for UCONN, even when there was a decent block by Harvard down 14 with 30 seconds left, he got excited, he's a joke, and as Bart Scott says "CAN'T WAIT" to this team gets better and keeps winning

Which I think will come down to three things:
1) Shabazz being a point guard and not Kemba
2) Drummond's offensive game continuing to develop by March
3) Aggressive play between D'Andre, Roscoe, AO

Those three things transpire, this team will be there at the end Dougie not so fresh can suck it!

Careful, Bankshot. Careful.

If you make threats against espn personnel, the boards's version of Marshall Dillion and Hamilton Burger (BusinessLawyer) will scold you.

In October, I was chided for simply saying that if I could avoid jail time, I would have no reservations inflicting bodily harm on espn executives responsible for the demise of the Big East.

All in fun. BusinessLawyer that is. Not the hate for espn.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
In October, I was chided for simply saying that if I could avoid jail time, I would have no reservations inflicting bodily harm on espn executives responsible for the demise of the Big East..

Just tell me where to show up.

Reaction Score
Just tell me where to show up.

It's not a laughing matter.

If you are an espn azzwhole executive then prove it. And I will happily come and make you taste your blood. Otherwise don't waste my time.

Now, why in the world would an espn exec post 204 times on the 'Yard?

Reaction Score
I don't mind the basketball criticisms from Gottlieb - we were on one side of the court too much on some possessions, but as he pointed out, Harvard was forcing us that way by not letting the ballhandler come over the top of the high screen and we had to decide how to deal with that. There's a fine line between "taking what the defense gives you" and getting out of your offense. Ideally, the coaching staff will get to work on some halfcourt sets as a counter-measure to that strategy, but that's what happens over the course of a long season - you struggle against certain things and adapt. Shabazz did take a couple bad shots after we were up 16, and he was correct in saying that he has to have a better feel for the game in those situations. Gottlieb played point guard at a high level (he just couldn't make free throws), so his understanding of those nuances can make him a good analyst. But now that he's had some success in getting under our skin, he does some things just to get UConn fans riled up - picking against us all six times in the NCAA Tournament or rating Kemba a second-round NBA draft pick. He was pretty much the lone anti-Kemba voice last year, and ended up with some egg on his face, which is far better than any punch in the face.

Reaction Score
Although I did catch a lot of what folks are saying about Gottliebs negativity toward UCONN, I still found him easier to listen to than Raftery, I cant stand his ignorant voice inflections all the time.

Reaction Score
[quote=" I still found him easier to listen to than Raftery, I cant stand his ignorant voice inflections all the time.[/quote]

Now you've gone too far.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
does anyone ever listen to Doug Gott-nothing and come away impressed with his depth of knowledge? please.

The man is shallow and simple, a hacker and a hater

the only thing he's good for is to be the butt of jokes, usually accomplished by simply repeating the words he speaks and the predictions he makes

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I just watched the game this morning, essentially
3) Aggressive play between D'Andre, Roscoe, AO
I think Roscoe did play with a lot more energy last night. he aggressively went after the ball and made a good block that the zebras blew the call and gave him a foul. Keep it up Roscoe..bring the energy!

Reaction Score
In 2004, we won with a clinic on offense, in 2011 we won with a clinic on defense, and in 1999, we won with pretty much the greatest sporting event in the history of the universe. It's nice when you can win three national championships in three different ways. Shows you aren't one-dimensional, championship-wise.

willie99

Reaction Score
That's not just DG's opinion, it's a matter of fact.

we play sensational defense, others play a high school zone

it was an awesome game baby, National Champions

Reaction Score
Outside of the outcome; did you think last year's NC game was entertaining?

Reaction Score
That's not just DG's opinion, it's a matter of fact.

Not a fact at all. UConn played well. Their defense smothered Butler. People don't realize that UConn's D smothered Kentucky and Arizona as well. Those two teams were shooting lights out against Duke and North Carolina, and then they ran into UConn and shot 30%. That tells you what kind of roll UConn was on defensively.

Look at the stats for the second half, UConn shot well. In the first half, the starting lineup was on the bench for the second half of the half because of foul trouble, and yes that was an ugly stretch, but UConn was one of the most dominant teams defensively in NCAA history. Coach K. recognized that after the game and Luke Winn did a study that showed this.

You're just showing your jealousy.

Reaction Score

I was definitely entertained. There were some incredible plays made. Kemba for one was flying all over the court, throwing his body out of bounds and recovering balls, UConn players were making key steals, they looked great. Of course I was entertained.

If you're saying the game lacked drama, then yes, it did. It's because UConn smothered Butler. But lots of NCAA finals have lacked drama because one team dominated the other.

I prefer my team to dominate others. I'd rather see that than a close game. UConn dominated Georgia Tech in 2004, I was entertained then as well.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The bad thing is that last year's game has entered conventional wisdom as being awful even though UConn's shooting troubles in the first half were the result of people sitting with 2 fouls (our starting lineup!) for long periods. UConn shot 45-50% in the second half.

Yeah, everyone seems to forget how well UConn played in the 2nd half of that game.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't mind the basketball criticisms from Gottlieb - we were on one side of the court too much on some possessions, but as he pointed out, Harvard was forcing us that way by not letting the ballhandler come over the top of the high screen and we had to decide how to deal with that. There's a fine line between "taking what the defense gives you" and getting out of your offense. Ideally, the coaching staff will get to work on some halfcourt sets as a counter-measure to that strategy, but that's what happens over the course of a long season - you struggle against certain things and adapt. Shabazz did take a couple bad shots after we were up 16, and he was correct in saying that he has to have a better feel for the game in those situations. Gottlieb played point guard at a high level (he just couldn't make free throws), so his understanding of those nuances can make him a good analyst. But now that he's had some success in getting under our skin, he does some things just to get UConn fans riled up - picking against us all six times in the NCAA Tournament or rating Kemba a second-round NBA draft pick. He was pretty much the lone anti-Kemba voice last year, and ended up with some egg on his face, which is far better than any punch in the face.
I am so happy you're back. There are a few of us who appreciate analysis and not the demagoguery that sometimes takes place. And there is none better than you for analysis.

Reaction Score
Wild thread! It's an internet gunslinger shootout.

First off I was at the game, forgot to record it, so I can't really comment on how Gott came across. I've never really liked the guy and often thought his analysis was way off quite a bit. And yes, his UConn bashing over the years got tiresome. I've felt he's been a bit better lately with some of his analysis.

I didn't notice the one side of the court issue, but that doesn't mean he didn't pick up on something. I did notice that they seemed to stick too much with the high pick-and-roll and thought they should have gone to more low back screens and thrown the ball over the top for easy baskets. The got a couple of those in the 2nd half. Harvard played a lot of man D and seemed to stick close to our bigs. I think they could have pulled their 3, 4 & 5s up closer toward the foul line area, and quickly slide a back screen over to one of them and released the other toward the corner of the rim for some catch and dunks or short bank shots. At least that's what it looked like to me particularly in the 2nd half. I wish I had remembered to record the game, to see if that looked to be the case.

Getting back to Gott, in general, I along with most fans prefer positive commentary over negative. Not that I don't want to hear once in a while some comments on what a team or player is doing wrong, but I'd rather hear more about what they are doing right. Gott, as well as Billy Packer tend to be negative Nancy's and get tiresome to listen to even when they are right.

As for Raf, he's one of my favorites not only for his accurate insights, but because he's generally a positive analyst and even when he is critical it never sounds condescending or harsh. With that said, Raf and the other guy who did the prior game annoyed the heck out of me, constantly wondering why Lamb wasn't playing as much as they thought, completely clueless that Lamb was in foul trouble throughout the game. Very unlike Raf. I hope he's not slipping with age.

Lastly, I did find it interesting that Gott was the only one to pick UConn preseason #1. I don't know if he still feels that way. It was interesting to see that 16 out of the 17 voters had UNC #1 and most had UK #2. I guess on paper UNC did seem the favorite coming into the season. Based on what we've seen so far, they don't look as strong as most thought. UK has looked very tough. As I've mentioned in other threads, I'm just not that impressed with the field, just as I wasn't all that impressed last season. Our young team is playing well early on, though has much to work on. I think this team has just as much if not more upside than last season and it wouldn't shock me in the least to see them have a similar season ending run the ends with UConn again cutting down the nets.

They have all the pieces to get it done. Just not sure if all of them will be playing together at a high level when it counts most, though the one main common denominator is head-coach Jim Calhoun who knows how to get this type of team ready when it counts most.

willie99

Reaction Score

I was, start to finish

I loved watching Butler struggle to get off so much as a decent uncontested shot, something they had no problem doing in their previous 11 tournament games

which reminds me, Butler 63 and # 1 seed Cuse 59, in the Sweet Sixteen of course (Cuse's round of death, worst S16 record in history, literally true)

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
It was a thing of beauty. UConn's defense in the championship was flawless in the second half. Butler took only 3 uncontested shots during the entire second half, and went 16 minutes before scoring a 2 point basket.

To put that in perspective, watch any basketball game and count how many wide open layups most teams give up regularly.

There is a reason why Butler looked so inept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom