I tried. I really tried | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I tried. I really tried

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
yeah I mean it’s definitely your prerogative to prefer the inferior product but that was an entertaining game and a pretty weird example for the “i MiSs ThE pAsSiOn AnD fUnDaMeNtAlS cRoWd.”

Did this turn into a UConn women vs. men hoop thread?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nobody runs or hits the boards? What are you talking about?
Seeing the shooting team actually contest a rebound was rare. When a shot got jacked up, they started jogging back on D. If the ball went in, the other team walked it up the floor. If it missed, they guy who got the ball walked it up the floor. Are you telling me that if I watch a game now I won't see a lot of what I describe?

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Seeing the shooting team actually contest a rebound was rare. When a shot got jacked up, they started jogging back on D. If the ball went in, the other team walked it up the floor. If it missed, they guy who got the ball walked it up the floor. Are you telling me that if I watch a game now I won't see a lot of what I describe?
The NBA game is FAST, maybe the fastest its ever been. If you've watched any Knicks games this year you would see how fast the pace is. Sure, the defense during the regular season isn't as intense as the postseason but the emphasis teams place on rebounding and running in transition is very evident amongst most NBA teams.

Reaction Score
Yes that's exactly what I'm saying

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Only people watching NBA games right now are degenerate gamblers. World Series...NFL...college football heating up. I won't be watching NHL or NBA until halfway through the winter at least.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yes that's exactly what I'm saying
Then I'll take your guys word on it and give it another try next time I grab a late bite at a sports bar.

Reaction Score
Only people watching NBA games right now are degenerate gamblers. World Series...NFL...college football heating up. I won't be watching NHL or NBA until halfway through the winter at least.
So what you're saying is you're not quite at degenerate gambler level yet.

Reaction Score
I'm watching Melo Ball put on a show against the Celtics in the first half and can't even imagine preferring the dreck that is college basketball over this. But I know why a certain subsection prefers college basketball over the NBA, and it hasn't nothing to do with the actual product on the court.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
But I know why a certain subsection prefers college basketball over the NBA, and it hasn't nothing to do with the actual product on the court.
?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
So what you're saying is you're not quite at degenerate gambler level yet.
I must confess. Late last night after the MNF football game, I put on the end of the Portland/Clippers game. It was brutal. But hey...sports are sports.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I'm watching Melo Ball put on a show against the Celtics in the first half and can't even imagine preferring the dreck that is college basketball over this. But I know why a certain subsection prefers college basketball over the NBA, and it hasn't nothing to do with the actual product on the court.
Why does that subsection prefer college to pro? I am one of them. Just wondering what you think of me!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why does that subsection prefer college to pro? I am one of them. Just wondering what you think of me!

No idea what he is thinking, but here are a few reasons I prefer the college game.
  • The game was designed a certain way, and the skills and size of athletes long ago exceeded what was intended. That process has continued. Golf would be boring if guys could drive the green on par 4s, so courses are adjusted to prevent that. Basketball gets boring when the shooting percentages get too high, even against good D. Scoring should be harder. There is no other sport where scoring is easier. Rules need to be changed: end the second step, call more offensive fouls, end star treatment. At least put the rules back 30 years.
  • Crowd/atmosphere, smaller venues have more energy (this is true for college football too)
  • Too many games, they don't matter often enough. Baseball has this problem too. In College basketball each game is important. NFL is the only American pro sport where every game matters.

Reaction Score
Am I wishy washy for like both college and pro?

Reaction Score
I actually enjoy modern NBA. Not the lousy to average teams. But the teams that make it deep into the playoffs. Love the spacing. Love the deep shooting... which creates the spacing.

Remember the Knicks of the mid 90s? That was the worst basketball.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I actually enjoy modern NBA. Not the lousy to average teams. But the teams that make it deep into the playoffs. Love the spacing. Love the deep shooting... which creates the spacing.

People who say they hate the modern NBA don't actually watch the NBA. Nobody expects you to watch or care about the Magic Vs Pistons game in October either.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Just to continue. Seriously, if anyone watches Steph Curry, KD, Giannis, Luka, Jokic, or any of the other top 10/15 players, and doesn't enjoy themselves, imo they just don't like basketball.

Reaction Score
People who say they hate the modern NBA don't actually watch the NBA. Nobody expects you to watch or care about the Magic Vs Pistons game in October either.
Speaking of the pistons, good lord. Was just looking at their starting 5 tonight - Jerami Grant, Saddiq Bey, Isaiah Stewart, Killian Hayes and Hamidou Diallo. Combined for 37 points. Cory Joseph (remember him lol) ,led the squad with 13!

Reaction Score

The game evolves, the 3 pt shooting game is the passing game in the NFL.

Reaction Score
The game evolves, the 3 pt shooting game is the passing game in the NFL.

I believe college sports started the trend with mid major teams like Loyola Marymount, now the power house teams shoot way more 3s , in college football teams running the spread offense such as Houston, BYU, Texas Tech. Now you have power house teams such as Alabama having more of a passing game, when they were always known as a ground and pound team, not saying you still can't have a semblance of a running game too, even Bamas rbs are a lot faster such as Derrick Henry and are more involved in the passing game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom