I thought no fans could be worse than the Boneyard MBB fans | The Boneyard

I thought no fans could be worse than the Boneyard MBB fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Congratulations, you proved me wrong. How old are you guys? A college football team played two games, mostly poorly, and you whine like three year olds whose mommy didn't stop to get ice cream on the way home from the park. Try worrying more about the things in life that you can control, like gaining some semblance of an adult perspective on life. It's two games into the season. You're embarrassing my alma mater in public with this pity party.

Reaction Score
The Boneyard, a place to gain good information in many cases about our various programs and as a side benefit a chance to gain perspective as you read some of these posts. Many grown up children!

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Congratulations, you proved me wrong. How old are you guys? A college football team played two games, mostly poorly, and you whine like three year olds whose mommy didn't stop to get ice cream on the way home from the park. Try worrying more about the things in life that you can control, like gaining some semblance of an adult perspective on life. It's two games into the season. You're embarrassing my alma mater in public with this pity party.

Embarrassing has been the attendance - you'll be there Saturday Dave?
Diaco Calls on Fanbase: "Please Come"

Reaction Score

Congrats on the 100 posts.

You pompous blowhard.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I guess that he hasn't been to the cesspool lately ;)

Reaction Score
I agree for the most part but that last line was cringe worthy. You seem to lack an understanding of fanhood in general if you think this is a UCONN issue.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I guess that he hasn't been to the cesspool lately ;)
I try to avoid the Cesspool but occasionally I get sucked in by "New Posts." It's never pretty down there.

Reaction Score
Just did some rough math. Since the Rent opened, I've spent roughly $40k on tickets, parking, food, beers, travel to away games and travel to bowl games. Dave's post got me thinking about those dollars for the first time. Over the twelve years I never did think twice about the investment. Always gladly paid to support the team and to soak in big time college football. Growing up in CT and being a yuge CFB fan I dreamed of the day that we would finally have a competitive program. I'm not looking for a pat on the back for my contributions - the development over the Randy years was more payback than I could ever imagine. Fiesta Bowl, Notre Dame, kicking the shiite out of South Carolina in the frigid cold of Birmingham etc

However, the last three years combined with the two 'exhibition' games has me and many others re-thinking that blind faith and as a result we're just looking for a good faith effort that we're trying to win games. That's all. And when we squeak by a Stony Brook team that lost to Bryant (yes Bryant). sometimes perspective is a tough thing.

That being said, Dave Carlson, please feel free to IM me to get the location of my tailgate for Saturday. I'll send you my cell so when you get to the game, we can have a couple beers and discuss the different degrees of support. Anonymous internet support versus missed two games (weddings both times) since the Rent opened and attended all bowl games support. Should be a lively and friendly debate.

Last edited:

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Just did some rough math. Since the Rent opened, I've spent roughly $40k on tickets, parking, food, beers, travel to away games and travel to bowl games. Dave's post got me thinking about those for the first time. Over the twelve years I never did think twice about the investment. Always gladly paid to support the team and to soak in big time college football. Growing up in CT and being a yuge CFB fan I dreamed of the day that we would finally have a competitive program. I'm not looking for a pat on the back for my contributions - the development over the Randy years was more payback than I could ever imagine. Fiesta Bowl, Notre Dame, kicking the shiite out of South Carolina in the frigid cold of Birmingham etc

Howeverm the last three years combined with the two 'exhibition' games has me and many others re-thinking that blind faith and as a result we're just looking for a good faith effort that we're trying to win games. That's all. And when we squeak by a Stony Brook team that lost to Bryant (yes Bryant). sometimes perspective is a tough thing.

That being said, Dave Carlson, please feel free to IM me to get the location of my tailgate for Saturday. I'll send you my cell so when you get to the game, we can have a couple beers and discuss the different degrees of support. Anonymous internet support versus missed two games since the Rent opened and attended all bowl games support. Should be a lively and friendly debate.

I was going to offer the same thing once he replied to whether he would be there Saturday or not.
Good job!
:)

Reaction Score
Just did some rough math. Since the Rent opened, I've spent roughly $40k on tickets, parking, food, beers, travel to away games and travel to bowl games. Dave's post got me thinking about those dollars for the first time. Over the twelve years I never did think twice about the investment. Always gladly paid to support the team and to soak in big time college football. Growing up in CT and being a yuge CFB fan I dreamed of the day that we would finally have a competitive program. I'm not looking for a pat on the back for my contributions - the development over the Randy years was more payback than I could ever imagine. Fiesta Bowl, Notre Dame, kicking the shiite out of South Carolina in the frigid cold of Birmingham etc

Howeverm the last three years combined with the two 'exhibition' games has me and many others re-thinking that blind faith and as a result we're just looking for a good faith effort that we're trying to win games. That's all. And when we squeak by a Stony Brook team that lost to Bryant (yes Bryant). sometimes perspective is a tough thing.

That being said, Dave Carlson, please feel free to IM me to get the location of my tailgate for Saturday. I'll send you my cell so when you get to the game, we can have a couple beers and discuss the different degrees of support. Anonymous internet support versus missed two games since the Rent opened and attended all bowl games support. Should be a lively and friendly debate.

I think the OP went overboard but IMO so do you Skiblets - - you and the rest of us are owed nothing. Make your investment of time and money or not but being a die-hard fan is an irrational exercise, you can't measure it on return basis like an investment in the market. Things look bleak now I agree but I think it can only get better. In the meantime, I am hoping beyond hope that we don't get stomped by the Broncos.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I think the OP went overboard but IMO so do you Skiblets - - you and the rest of us are owed nothing. Make your investment of time and money or not but being a die-hard fan is an irrational exercise, you can't measure it on return basis like an investment in the market. Things look bleak now I agree but I think it can only get better. In the meantime, I am hoping beyond hope that we don't get stomped by the Broncos.
I dont think he was saying he is owed anything - I thought he was making the point that I tried to make.
Maybe I am wrong. I am just a BY poster.

Reaction Score
Congratulations, you proved me wrong.

wait a second...holy crap!

output_zpskf83aiqh.jpg

Man, wasn't sure I'd ever get that one done.

Reaction Score
Re-read my post Scoobs. I said that I never once questioned the investment until Dave brought this up in conjunction with the
'exhibition game' mentaility. Completely agree, I am owed nothing except a good faith effort that we are trying to win games. Not sure we got that in games 1 and 2

Reaction Score

I'd say it at minimum gives him the right to voice his displeasure on the BY.

Reaction Score

However, the last three years combined with the two 'exhibition' games has me and many others re-thinking that blind faith and as a result we're just looking for a good faith effort that we're trying to win games. That's all. And when we squeak by a Stony Brook team that lost to Bryant (yes Bryant). sometimes perspective is a tough thing.

That being said, Dave Carlson, please feel free to IM me to get the location of my tailgate for Saturday. I'll send you my cell so when you get to the game, we can have a couple beers and discuss the different degrees of support. Anonymous internet support versus missed two games (weddings both times) since the Rent opened and attended all bowl games support. Should be a lively and friendly debate.

This Carlson person should be taken out to the shed, but that aside,

Diaco indeed deserves to be raked across the coals for his "preparatory" phase comments publicly, for exactly what you, I, others express as reasons since the post game BYU comments. THe proper person to really have done it, is his boss Warde Manuel, and it should have been done, clearly, the morning after, for exactly the same reasons you just wrote, and others, have in the past 2 weeks. Nobody in the media has really said anything except for "gulp" Jacobs, and then we got the scalding response that it was "dangerous." Our media following is worse than a daytime soap opera. Losing, bad football only accentuates it. That's where the boneyard, I love this place, tends to really straighten out the ship.

It's actually been a little fun to do it, in a sadistic way I guess, because I honestly do not believe he does not intend to win these games, and it's difficult juggling act to be trying to get experience and max reps, and develop your own schemes and at the same time game plan for opponents, but it was just a dumb, dumb thing to say publicly - as was his comments about getting Puyol work from the right hash.

But he's a rookie head coach, and he gets another mulligan, for another week. He earned, it, and he totally backed into it, by mistake, and has indeed pissed off a few long time fans because of it, but it is what it is. I'm not anywhere near giving up on the guy, not at all. He's demonstrated some serious progress, I think in 9 months, in very important ways.

It will be interesting to see what he can get this program to do, once the season actually starts! ;-)

Reaction Score

Diaco indeed deserves to be raked across the coals for his "preparatory" phase comments publicly, for exactly what you, I, others express as reasons since the post game BYU comments. THe proper person to really have done it, is his boss Warde Manuel, and it should have been done, clearly, the morning after, for exactly the same reasons you just wrote, and others, have in the past 2 weeks. Nobody in the media has really said anything except for "gulp" Jacobs, and then we got the scalding response that it was "dangerous." Our media following is worse than a daytime soap opera. Losing, bad football only accentuates it. That's where the boneyard, I love this place, tends to really straighten out the ship.

It's actually been a little fun to do it, in a sadistic way I guess, because I honestly do not believe he does not intend to win these games, and it's difficult juggling act to be trying to get experience and max reps, and develop your own schemes and at the same time game plan for opponents, but it was just a dumb, dumb thing to say publicly - as was his comments about getting Puyol work from the right hash.

But he's a rookie head coach, and he gets another mulligan, for another week. He earned, it, and he totally backed into it, by mistake, and has indeed pissed off a few long time fans because of it, but it is what it is. I'm not anywhere near giving up on the guy, not at all. He's demonstrated some serious progress, I think in 9 months, in very important ways.

It will be interesting to see what he can get this program to do, once the season actually starts! ;-)
I'm not going anywhere...will be there on Saturday just like almost every other home game

Reaction Score
I'm not going anywhere...will be there on Saturday just like almost every other home game

Me too, and it goes without saying really. Didn't expect you wouldn't.

I was more writing to the idiots out there, than to you. Sorry.

Reaction Score
Starts 2015-2016. Patience, look at what he has to work with all due respect to our current players.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score

Can I swing by? I have snacks and would love to watch a good, vigorous debate.

Reaction Score
Skiblets said:
Re-read my post Scoobs. I said that I never once questioned the investment until Dave brought this up in conjunction with the 'exhibition game' mentaility. Completely agree, I am owed nothing except a good faith effort that we are trying to win games. Not sure we got that in games 1 and 2

Well, we won game 2 so that isn't fair.

Reaction Score

SORRY THIS IS KIND OF LONG...but I just had to say it!

This was Randy Edsall's baby that he developed into a dependable Junior High kid. The kid got handed off to Paul Pasqualoni and got sent back to grammar school. TJ elevated him back to 8th grade. Now before he can go to High School. Bob Diaco seems to be undergoing one of those before we can take a huge step forward, we have to take a few small steps back to the basics type of approaches in order to grow the program correctly. Kind of like having a deformed bone that has to be put in a cast for a while otherwise it just won't grow straight!

Like Ward, I believe that Diaco is the perfect coach for UCONN. He is an aggressive NJ guy with super enthusiasm, but also tremendous attention to detail and a highly successful coaching resume. He is one of those unusual left side, right side of the brain kind of individuals who is not merely satisfied with going to the Birmingham bowl. He wants the whole enchilada but he knows he can't build an Indy car on a VW bug chassis. At times he will sacrifice short term success for long term success and I know that drives people crazy. Visa vi the hash mark comment and the multiple qb issue, etc.

He knows what it takes to win and trust me, all of us on the Boneyard will have zero impact on anything he does from this venue. I have had conversations with him at various places and find him to be the same consistent person with great energy, focus and vision. He is also very human and humble. He will not throw others under the bus in order to save face and will fully accept responsibility for his actions. He just dosn't believe he has done anything dramatically wrong yet.

He is also dreadfully honest and tells it like it is, which on occasion will get him into trouble. His personality reminds me a little like Jim Valvano, tremendous heart and passion. He is one of those individuals that you may love or hate but he is always going to give 100% of himself.

Maryland Terps fans wanted Randy Edsall's head in 2011. Butch Jones was 23-14 his first three years after taking over a successful Brian Kelly Cincy program. Last year his first year with the Vols he was 5-6 but he is turning things around. Great coaches have vision and need the right component parts to see it through. Don't forget, Diaco is the guy who talked Chandler into coming back his Senior year. As negative as things have gotten for Chandler, I predict that move will prove to be a win win for him, Diaco, Boyle and the whole program.

If the day comes when I start giving up on Bob Diaco, it will be because the kids give up on him. If I start seeing heads down and those deer in the head light looks, then I will know that Bob Diaco has failed. Until that time, I am a believer in Bob Diaco.

I know you say you havn't lost faith either. As a fan you have every right to voice your opinon as I have mine. Just remember that Bob Diaco type coaches come along once every hundred years or so.

Reaction Score
Did the OP even say anything about fan support and attending games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom