I think we're turning the corner | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I think we're turning the corner

Reaction Score
My first game this year, Cincinnati is well stocked with the big uglies. We sat behind their bench and saw their Fr and So OL players standing and waiting to get in. They were huge. We won't be able to compete with them fpr years to come. If I understand it right their Starting QB was a Fr from Louisville. On top of that we had no one to stop a pass coming out to the flat. You knew it was coming and they still got 8 to 15 anytime they wanted. In the third Quarter they had a 3rd and 9 and I said to my friend even if they get nothing they will go for 4th and 9 with a better than 75% chance of making it. Turns out they got 6 on the third and got 8 on the 4th down. We were boys against men today. If they could have stopped some of the passes to the flat but they gave them up at an alarming pace. Left at the end of the 3rd quarter had enough, UCONN BAND was great. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!

Fickell is doing a great job recruiting. Cincinnati is actually the 3rd youngest roster in the country. QB is a RS frosh, RB is a soph, 2nd and 3rd string RBs that played today are true frosh, etc.

Reaction Score
My first game this year, Cincinnati is well stocked with the big uglies. We sat behind their bench and saw their Fr and So OL players standing and waiting to get in. They were huge. We won't be able to compete with them fpr years to come. If I understand it right their Starting QB was a Fr from Louisville. On top of that we had no one to stop a pass coming out to the flat. You knew it was coming and they still got 8 to 15 anytime they wanted. In the third Quarter they had a 3rd and 9 and I said to my friend even if they get nothing they will go for 4th and 9 with a better than 75% chance of making it. Turns out they got 6 on the third and got 8 on the 4th down. We were boys against men today. If they could have stopped some of the passes to the flat but they gave them up at an alarming pace. Left at the end of the 3rd quarter had enough, UCONN BAND was great. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, i said it when they hired Fickell, and he's been even more successful than i thought he would be rebuilding their roster. A lot of those kids on both sides of the ball are using their first or second year of eligibility, and he has another solid class coming next year. They're one of the 3 or 4 youngest teams in Div. 1, and i think looking at them they have more talent now than they did back when they were at the top of the Big East. They play a lot of guys on both sides of the ball. Sixth year senior center goes down early and other than the first bad snap they bring in a red shirt frosh to replace him and rush for over 300 yds. They play fast and physical. That was an a.s kicking on the road.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
All year except URIne its been men vs boys
Have to recruit bigger players and work on SandC during the off season
This is not going to be easy but I will still go and support the Huskies

C

Chief00

I've always wondered who makes that decision. Is it the President? The Board? The head of Admissions?

Herbst doesn’t understand the college football World. Remove all academic requirements for football only. Develop the majors other schools have and basically hand them a meaningless piece of paper after 5 years. What do we have to lose?

C

Chief00

Fickell is doing a great job recruiting. Cincinnati is actually the 3rd youngest roster in the country. QB is a RS frosh, RB is a soph, 2nd and 3rd string RBs that played today are true frosh, etc.
Randy has proven he can’t recruit at the top tier AAC level. He needs to bring in someone who can or retire.
You know how they say you can never go home after leaving home. We tried to do that with Randy and it did not work.

Reaction Score
We’ll never compete in this conference. We’re a G6 program now in a conference where all the other G6 programs are in MUCH better recruiting areas. Seriously what do you expect a career .500 coach to turn a miracle against these odds? Stop throwing money at this it’s over. Big East tomorrow

Reaction Score
An Old refrain showed up in one of the Courant articles this week.
It was Edsall telling us again that at UConn we can’t get kids other schools because of academics requirements at UConn.

If this is still true we should just close up shop. Either get real about what it takes to be successful or stop wasting everybodies time. We are not Stanford or Notre Dame.
We should take every kid that anybody else in our league would. Would should look at more JUCO and transfers. I clearly do not want rapist and killers( they can still go to Louisville) We have to many disadvantages in football to think we can be successful without taking chances particularly with what is at stake right now.

Randy Edsall makes more excuses than GM makes cars.

It amazing actually - I give him credit for being able to do it with convctikn and a straight face.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Randy Edsall makes more excuses than GM makes cars.

It amazing actually - I give him credit for being able to do it with convctikn and a straight face.
Randy should provide a list of kids who admissions denied entry.

Reaction Score
Brian Kelly once said that only 1 or 2 players on the ND football team met the academic admission standards. UConn needs to wake up and ditch this "student athlete" model. We can all see where that is getting us.

Reaction Score
Edsall's plan is starting to work.
yup, instead of losing by 50+ points, it's dropped off to only 40+ points.
Keep digging through the horse crap...........................maybe you'll find that pony.

Reaction Score
Brian Kelly once said that only 1 or 2 players on the ND football team met the academic admission standards. UConn needs to wake up and ditch this "student athlete" model. We can all see where that is getting us.

It’s a non starter if we don’t.
We have no inheritant advantages, just the opposite.

Reaction Score
It was Edsall telling us again that at UConn we can’t get kids other schools because of academics requirements at UConn.

If this is still true we should just close up shop. Either get real about what it takes to be successful or stop wasting everybodies time. We are not Stanford or Notre Dame.
We should take every kid that anybody else in our league would. Would should look at more JUCO and transfers. I clearly do not want rapist and killers( they can still go to Louisville) We have to many disadvantages in football to think we can be successful without taking chances particularly with what is at stake right now.

This IMO is a real issue. There has to be a middle ground.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I agree that our Admissions standards are incredibly high. It seems like we're tying our hands and feet together while we try to learn how to crawl again. But there are also very real potential consequences with doing this - consequences that are getting alot of schools/ADs in some very serious criminal hot water. And if UConn ever becomes FSU/Penn State/Baylor/Maryland/Ohio State/Lousivlle or any other corrupt school/AD, most of us would tap out of following UConn sports completely.

C

Chief00

I agree that our Admissions standards are incredibly high. It seems like we're tying our hands and feet together while we try to learn how to crawl again. But there are also very real potential consequences with doing this - consequences that are getting alot of schools/ADs in some very serious criminal hot water. And if UConn ever becomes FSU/Penn State/Baylor/Maryland/Ohio State/Lousivlle or any other corrupt school/AD, most of us would tap out of following UConn sports completely.
I think we need to be realistic about the academic profiles of recruits we can target. We can’t get the best athletes/top students - we need to compromise our unrealistic standards until we establish ourselves.

C

Chief00

All year except URIne its been men vs boys
Have to recruit bigger players and work on SandC during the off season
This is not going to be easy but I will still go and support the Huskies

Chief agrees - as frankly discouraging as it may get - Chief will be there. However, I would like to see more fire on the field and on the sideline.
Crocker is the only dude emotional but he seems lost in emotion to the extent we burn timeouts just getting 11 guys on the field - never mind schemes or alignments. The disorganization is explained by more than youth.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I think we tread water until the next reorganization of football divisions. There will be an upper, middle and lower division 1 level. Just my opinion.
I'd like to hear more about this possibility. Can you expand on that idea?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'd like to hear more about this possibility. Can you expand on that idea?
Not original to me, but the P5 conferences may decide to cut the fat and form, say, 4 football only conferences of 12 teams each allowed to qualify for the national championship playoffs. A middle class of the cast-offs, most of the AAC and MW teams, and a few others that the top tier can still schedule to fill out the season, eligible for minor bowls. And the FCS schools in the third tier. I expect division one basketball to also skim off the schools who are bottom majors, 300 plus division one basketball schools is kind of a joke.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

SMU went through a similar situation a few years back. After the death penalty, they had severe restrictions on who and how to recruit. It finally came down to: do we want to compete on a level playing field with schools like TCU? Or do we want to go to FCS and maintain the high academic standards? They chose to relax the recruiting requirements, but I don't think they lowered them to the point where they're equal with the Texas Big 12 schools.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Not original to me, but the P5 conferences may decide to cut the fat and form, say, 4 football only conferences of 12 teams each allowed to qualify for the national championship playoffs. A middle class of the cast-offs, most of the AAC and MW teams, and a few others that the top tier can still schedule to fill out the season, eligible for minor bowls. And the FCS schools in the third tier. I expect division one basketball to also skim off the schools who are bottom majors, 300 plus division one basketball schools is kind of a joke.
That would create a junior NFL. To me, it would destroy college football as we know it and it would be incredibly boring. But we're basically there already.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Herbst doesn’t understand the college football World. Remove all academic requirements for football only. Develop the majors other schools have and basically hand them a meaningless piece of paper after 5 years. What do we have to lose?
Well SH won't be around much longer so that's a good thing and maybe AD David Benedict can find something in the SEC like Auburn waterboy
Need a whole new executive team and soon

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
This IMO is a real issue. There has to be a middle ground.

The fact of the matter is that we're no better of a school than Georgia or Florida. What are their admissions standards for football players?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom