I think we need a little perspective... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I think we need a little perspective...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So are you saying that people don't have the right to react to what they have seen this year and to be concerned going forward? Seriously, this isn't about being "jaded and entitled". A disappointing season has just come to an end so to not expect people to vent about it is beyond silly.
I think the point is, not every hiccup is a signal to the decline of the program.

Reaction Score
Best thing anyone can do to support the basketball programs is to support football.
Like or not, basketball can deliver 5 more NC's over the next 20 years and we'll still be in the AAC.
Get the football program to a win a few games, get a few bowl appearances, and get some national exposure.
Do that while making it necessary to expand the rent...

That's what will get uconn into a P5 conference much faster.

Reaction Score
I think part of the problem is the misdirected criticism of recruiting. Last year we were able to get Purvis and Hamilton and this year we signed Enoch and Adams
and we were in the mix for some top players. I'd say those were reasonably successful recruiting years. The problem was a few years ago when the best we could do was Facey and Samuel.
I don't think the OP is saying never criticize. What he is saying is that some posters are not only way over the top but are predictable and redundant as hell. Their number is growing as some good posters have had it and disappeared.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Best thing anyone can do to support the basketball programs is to support football.
Like or not, basketball can deliver 5 more NC's over the next 20 years and we'll still be in the AAC.
Get the football program to a win a few games, get a few bowl appearances, and get some national exposure.

To be fair, the same people that don't give a crap about the football team would probably be content in the AAC if it meant 5 titles over the next 20 years :)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
UConn is going to be playing mid majors and facing a $20M+ revenue gap every year, but since UNLV won a title 25 years ago and then faded into irrelevance, that's the big comforting fact?

Which brings me back to my original and only point. The root of all this unrest is because people don't know what the future holds and that's all related to the league.

If we were in the ACC or B1G, the talk would be about disappointment, and then reloading.
If we had any of a number of people who did not have some track record of beating serious odds for a sustained period of time in charge of this I would likely be leaning closer to the stance you are professing. We do however have someone who built a very long NBA career for himself that in all candor, never should have happened if you look at the skills he possessed when he finished his college career in comparison to any of the many quality prospects who couldn't last for more than a cup of coffee.

It won't be easy and because a few mid-major schools (I've mentioned them already) were able to spend a decade or so performing as well as most of the better high-majors doesn't mean that anyone can do it. We do however have a ton of advantages over those who have accomplished it however. We have a head coach who can flash a National Championship ring when he visits a recruit. At this point there will be very few (and before long there won't be any) future recruits who were alive before our first title. We have won more national titles during the lifetime of any potential recruits than any other school and we have a track record of putting people in the league, especially (recently) at the most vital position in college basketball. KO made his way into the NBA (and remained there for thirteen years) on sheer will and determination. I need someone to convince me that he no longer has that will or determination or that it isn't exactly what is needed to overcome the disadvantages that we do have.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If we had any of a number of people who did not have some track record of beating serious odds for a sustained period of time in charge of this I would likely be leaning closer to the stance you are professing. We do however have someone who built a very long NBA career for himself that in all candor, never should have happened if you look at the skills he possessed when he finished his college career in comparison to any of the many quality prospects who couldn't last for more than a cup of coffee.

It won't be easy and because a few mid-major schools (I've mentioned them already) were able to spend a decade or so performing as well as most of the better high-majors doesn't mean that anyone can do it. We do however have a ton of advantages over those who have accomplished it however. We have a head coach who can flash a National Championship ring when he visits a recruit. At this point there will be very few (and before long there won't be any) future recruits who were alive before our first title. We have won more national titles during the lifetime of any potential recruits than any other school and we have a track record of putting people in the league, especially (recently) at the most vital position in college basketball. KO made his way into the NBA (and remained there for thirteen years) on sheer will and determination. I need someone to convince me that he no longer has that will or determination or that it isn't exactly what is needed to overcome the disadvantages that we do have.

Again, my point was from the start, that people are upset and the cause of that is the league. Not so much the season we just played.

I never said we were finished.

I never said it couldn't be done.

Nobody has those answers.

Pointing out schools that aren't in our stratosphere as examples and saying our coach beat the odds just doesn't apply if we can't compete on the floor on an even playing field. With the P5 controlling everything, that concerns me and others.

20 posts later, I hope to god I've clarified what was a simple one sentence.

Reaction Score

Meh we won a NC last year in this conference. Most people on this forum (probably myself included) would gladly take 5 more NCs in the next 20 years at whatever expense to football you want. The issue is that that might not happen if the football team doesn't improve and we can't continue to fund our AD, and then basketball starts to slip. But if all things stayed equal, I'd trade P5 for a NC every 4 years for the next 2 decades.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Eh we won a NC last year in this conference. Most people on this forum (probably myself included) would gladly take 5 more NCs in the next 20 years at whatever expense to football you want. The issue is that that might not happen if the football team doesn't improve and we can't continue to fund our AD, and then basketball starts to slip. But if all things stayed equal, I'd trade P5 for a NC every 4 years for the next 2 decades.

There are no more NCs without P5 once the split rears it's ugly head. Sure, we might still get to play for a "national championship", but it'd be in a church basement.

Reaction Score
There are no more NCs without P5 once the split rears it's ugly head. Sure, we might still get to play for a "national championship", but it'd be in a church basement.
Well if there's a split and a formation of 4 superconferences, I bet UConn gets in anyway. No way we aren't a top 64 AD.

Reaction Score
I think the point is, not every hiccup is a signal to the decline of the program.
That's fine, and that is what should be said. Unfortunately the point is obscured when it is delivered in th

I agree with that. I'm reacting more to the "how dare you be upset" tone of that post. To suggest that people shouldn't be concerned moving forward is just silly at best.

Reaction Score
What exactly did you see this year?
We did not play well enough yo get into the tournament regardless of conference..
So blaming the AAC for this year is childish. We lost 3 games at Gambel to mediocre teams. Without winning the tourney, we would have had to win , Those three plus, temple at home,( we played them when they were short handed plus Houston.
We would have been safely in. If we did that and were denied than we would have had a legitimate grip against our conference.
We lost two guys to the NBA draft two more to European leagues.
We had RB back, to play both 1 and 2 guard at the same time. He did the best he could but as other people mentioned he was not a natual PG
Would the team have been better with Kemba or SN instead .
Probably , they had that KAM swagger that said "I'm in charge out here and if you follow me we can't lose."They especially KW made everyone around him better .All three had BB IQ 's through the roof.
Do you understand how rare that gift is and how fortunate we've been.
It's not by accident that those guys all have rings.
Boat led by example ,he left is all on the floor , what more could we possibly ask.
For a kid whose only Idea of an entry pass when he got here was an Alley-Oop
To make himself into a darn good point is something he and all of us should be proud of.

I'm not sure what my quoted post has to do with yours, but here is what I saw this year. I saw a team of guys that I am not sure will really develop into anything. I'm pretty sure Hamilton will, I have no idea about Purvis and all of our front court players have me worried. This is a critical off season for these guys. Hamilton has to take the next step in his development and needs to get stronger and more assertive. Purvis simply has to become a good free throw shooter. And Brimah? There is so much work that needs to be done there. He definitely needs to get stronger and start defending more intelligently, because even limited as he is right now, we need him on the floor to win games. I could go on, Facey and Nolan have a way to go in their development and Samuel does as well.

Now all of that may happen and we may really see some sort of a team, but a lot of things have to fall into place and I just think it may take another season.

Reaction Score
Yes, I think he was a much better facilitator. I don't want to spend all day on this because I don't want to be negative about Boat -- when I've been clear I think he was an outstanding basketball player -- but did you watch this weekend. How many times did Boat penetrate and kick to a wide open 3 point shooter, but the ball floated out there lazilly and the D recovered, or the pass was below the knees, and the D recovered, or moved the shooter's feet, and the D recovered? Boat did not get the ball to people in the right place in the right time like true point guards do, and like KEA, KO, Sheffer, Marcus, Shabazz and Kemba all did.

I guess I can't get past you describing Kemba as a "true point guard" when that continues to be the knock on him to this day. As far as your anecdotal examples from this weekend, the guy whose passes struck me as being consistently in the wrong place is Purvis, not Boatright, but that's another story. I don't see it with Boatright. I also can't get past the fact that he's trying to create points for guys who actually make you wonder whether they're shaving points.

Reaction Score
I think part of the problem is the misdirected criticism of recruiting. Last year we were able to get Purvis and Hamilton and this year we signed Enoch and Adams
and we were in the mix for some top players. I'd say those were reasonably successful recruiting years. The problem was a few years ago when the best we could do was Facey and Samuel.
I don't think the OP is saying never criticize. What he is saying is that some posters are not only way over the top but are predictable and redundant as hell. Their number is growing as some good posters have had it and disappeared.

The problem with recruiting is that it's not just measured by who we bring in, but also by whether we fill holes in the team as well. My frustrations with our recruiting for next year stems from the ideas that we probably need two ball handling guards (to replace losing Boat + we needed one this year regardless) and some immediate help in the front court. We got Adams, which is huge, as he's both talented and fills a hole in the team. We had Prince Ali, which would have been perfect, but lost him. We got Enoch who, while talented, looks like he won't be able to contribute right away. We're scraping the bottom of the barrel for another guard and we're headed into next year with a front court that consists of a limited senior center, a project junior center who's very talented but one dimensional, a decent junior forward and a project sophomore forward. This is why people have problems with recruiting.

Reaction Score
I guess I can't get past you describing Kemba as a "true point guard" when that continues to be the knock on him to this day. As far as your anecdotal examples from this weekend, the guy whose passes struck me as being consistently in the wrong place is Purvis, not Boatright, but that's another story. I don't see it with Boatright. I also can't get past the fact that he's trying to create points for guys who actually make you wonder whether they're shaving points.
My sense was that Boat was often getting it to them in the right place, or near right place, and they pump faked away the open shot or lane.

I won't deny that he doesn't always put it on the money in the way that Marcus or Taliek or Shabazz did. But he does it enough that--with more confident scorers and playmakers--our offense would look a lot better than it did.

In other words, the last person I would blame here is Boat (not to put words in your mouth @businesslawyer )

Reaction Score
I think a valid critique about Boatright is that the ball stuck in his hands too much sometimes. It's fine and completely reasonable for him to have the ball a lot and try to score, but there was a lot of just holding the ball 30 feet from the basket for 10 seconds or more. Kemba and Napier moved it around better in my opinion, and Napier's floor vision especially was at an elite level. He completely decimated Florida in the Final Four with just throwing the ball over the top of the defense.

Reaction Score
Also, I don't think Boatright is nearly as good as those guys at using ball screens, which is obviously a big part of UConn's offense.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I agree with that. I'm reacting more to the "how dare you be upset" tone of that post. To suggest that people shouldn't be concerned moving forward is just silly at best.
I don't believe anyone posted "How dare you be upset" and if one of my posts was interpreted that way I apologize. What I was attempt to convey was that it appeared half the boneyard needed to be talked off the ledge, which is mind boggling considering everything we've witnessed over the past few decades.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I actually thought Boat did a far better job as a point guard than I thought possible. He was not Bazz or Kemba, but those guys each had a once in a lifetime year. Boat was pretty close though.

We need a primer on delusionally rose colored glasses vs morbidly pessimistic vs reality-based
We have 5 quality big men fits the former.
We are in a suicidal downward spiral is delusionally negative.
This conference is a deficit and we need to improve recruiting is rational

Reaction Score
Having a hard time with anything remotely critical of boat. The kid left it all on the floor and i personally loved watching his athletisism and spirit over the past four years.

Personally i was a fan when Uconn was in the Colonial and although the P5 has changed college athletics, I trust in KO. I have complete confidence we will continue to be relevent. If my kid was good enough, i would be thrilled to turn him over to KO.

Reaction Score
I actually thought Boat did a far better job as a point guard than I thought possible. He was not Bazz or Kemba, but those guys each had a once in a lifetime year. Boat was pretty close though.

We need a primer on delusionally rose colored glasses vs morbidly pessimistic vs reality-based
We have 5 quality big men fits the former.
We are in a suicidal downward spiral is delusionally negative.
This conference is a deficit and we need to improve recruiting is rational

I never got the love for Boatright. Both Walker and Napier had the capacity to lure multiple looks from nearby defenders which would create lanes / passing opportunities. Boatright just wasn't that kind of guy, at least as far as I could see this year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
1. Marcus Williams couldn't guard my sandwich in a locked refrigerator. He might have been a better pure passer than Kemba or Shabazz, but as an all around point guard absolutely no way. Being more "prototypical" does not make you better.

2. On Boat, this seems like one where you seem to be fighting to disagree over nothing. Our team was much better because Boat was on it. But part of the role of a point guard is getting other people their shots in the right place in the right time. Boat was, frankly, not good enough at that. Shabazz and Kemba absolutely were good at that (hence, the rings), even if they were also more of scoring threats than Marcus.

I don't think that is an accurate statement about Williams. He was the only ball handler on the team, and while there was a lot of talent on that team, there was only 1 ace outside shooter, Rashad. Defensively he wasn't great, but saying he was terrible defensively is a bit of an exaggeration. And Williams was probably the best passer UConn has ever had.

I am confident that if we could have survived George Mason, UConn would win the whole thing that year with only 2 losses in a Big East that was amazing that year. The George Mason loss was not Williams' fault nearly as much as it was the two feathered pillows we had in the post that game.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't believe anyone posted "How dare you be upset" and if one of my posts was interpreted that way I apologize. What I was attempt to convey was that it appeared half the boneyard needed to be talked off the ledge, which is mind boggling considering everything we've witnessed over the past few decades.
The recent cycle of this forum.

A horrible senior season by Dyson. This place is beyond reasonable. People throw the kid under the bus not acknowledging what he did the previous season. People are questioning whether JC has lost it. The next season Kemba leads the team to a NC, UConn then gets the number 1 recruit and most are riding a high. This place is a fun place to visit.

Then a disappointing season, the APR sanctions, CR dumps on us, a legacy coach leaves, players transfer, recruiting is down, and this place is hellacious.

Then KO is announced and people are contentious. Some applaud the hire. Others are angry JC pushed KO down the universities throat.

Then Shabazz leads a team with nothing to prove beyond what most of us expect and we're starting to feel good again. This place is fun.

Expectations are high the next season and for the most part people are posting positive things. Until the blowout against Ville and then some are heading to the edge. The AAC tournament pulls them back. And then the NC happens and everyone is thrilled. Place is fun to visit and expectations are riding high for this season with the Boat, the Ferrari, DHam and the negator being touted as leading the team to at least the sweet sixteen.

Positive vibe heading to this season only matched by discussions of pizza. And then the season happens and the world as we prefer it is ending. Now we can't recruit, KO can't coach, the conference has destroyed us and there is little or no chance that this might be a blip.

I don't go back as far as some here, but I probably could describe this cycle of ups and downs in this forum being in step with the ups and downs of the teams play coupled with our expectations of how the team should have played. This has been going on for a long time. It's nothing new.

Reaction Score
Well if there's a split and a formation of 4 superconferences, I bet UConn gets in anyway. No way we aren't a top 64 AD.

Wanna bet? Football drives the bus and there is no seat on there for us today. When and if is anyone's guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom