I think we need a little perspective... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I think we need a little perspective...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Boatright was not a great player for UConn. A good player, yes, but he never succeeded in making the players around him better, which is essentially a defining trait of a quality PG.
Joined up Sunday to tell us Ryan Boatright is not a great player? Good decision on your part.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Leebo said:
We will always have the prestige that our run affords us, but just ask other historical powers. Just because a team has a bunch of championships doesn't mean they're going to go to the final four every year.

All the more reason to keep expectations high. Any non-NCAA year in BB or non-bowl season in FB is a bad year whether it turns into a title 3 years later or not. It's not about not accepting down years (2000) or even disappointing years (2006). It is about meeting a standard of excellence in everything you do.

Can anyone say that standard was met this season? Patting everyone on the back you tacitly accept that effort. There is only one guy who gets props for bringing it every day and he is gone with one more loss. Everyone else needs to step up.

Hamilton make noticeable gains in the last month. Great to see from a Frosh, he should be really good next season if he continues to improve this offseason. He needs to work on his handle as he will have more ball handing responsibilities. He also needs another move to add to the spin and find his spots on the floor. I'd also work on getting a consistent shot form. Do this and he'll be an AA.

Everyone else knows what areas they need to improve.

AB, rebounding, a post move or two, post defending other than trying to block every shot.

Nolan, rebounding, post defense without fouling. He needs to be the guy when AB gets in foul trouble.

Facey, defending. A consistent 12 foot shot wouldn't hurt.

Lubin, defending bigger players without fouling. Being the best offensive rebounder on the team.

Calhoun, on ball defense and hitting open three's. Pump fake, drive, 12 foot shot.

Purvis, three point shooting, driving the lane to get fouled or finish. Understanding the team defensive concepts. Leadership, it's his team next year.

Samuel, ball control and security, a stop and pop. On ball and off ball defending.

Cassell, open three point shooting, defense.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
upstater said:
Top to bottom in 2 years? April UConn was on top, then it lost 5 players. And it went to the NIT. Again, perspective.

Who pointed to UMass or anything like it. Gonzaga is ranked #2. That was a point of comparison.

UConn lost to SMU (twice) in the same year it won a national championship. In the Big East years, UConn lost to teams like USF and DePaul, not to mention Providence (yuck!).

This relates to more than just BB. And SMU was nowhere close to PC then. I also don't recall finishing behind PC hardly ever.

Reaction Score
Regardless of what regression to the mean actually means in the future... there will be years where we don't make the NCAA tournament!

I'm not going to get worked up about it happening after we just won the championship.

Don't get me wrong, I was screaming at the TV during the actual games as much as any other fan. But it is what it is.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I liked the OP and agree with it. I also see some other people's point of view and can appreciate them. Here's how I see it after many years of reading and posting on fan message boards. They are overwhelmingly negative. Even when the team is doing good there is a subset of fans that only focus on the negative. You can't shout them down or put them all on ignore. I don't spend much time on them in season. Maybe I'll stop by at a trade or transfer deadline but that is pretty much it. I'll be on when it is playoff/postseason time because then things are generally more positive and check in more often during the offseason to catch up on news, team gossip and opinion. I usually refrain from looking at much on the BY from November to late Feb (well, except for the CR board since it's inception). Once the postseason begins I'll be on because there are a lot of posters that genuinely like and look forward to seeing their opinions (and senses of humor).

I mean, it's all pretty simple if there is something on TV I don't like I change the channel or turn it off. Same with message boards. It is too bad because before we won our second NC this place was a helluva lot of fun but it is what it is. Still good, but better in small doses I guess.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
“You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into.” - Ben Goldacre.
As a fan I just accept that I cannot change outcomes, influence decisions, or have any real affect on anything but most insignificant events. (Notable exception being one of thousands at a close game). As such what Funster said, take the good, discount as best you can the bad, and put Frank Ivy on ignore.

Reaction Score
Boatright was not a great player for UConn. A good player, yes, but he never succeeded in making the players around him better, which is essentially a defining trait of a quality PG.

I think you can call Boatright a "great" player. But he is not a great point guard.

Reaction Score
How is stating a fact whining?

Don't come here with your sanctimonious BS and when people call you out for the absurdity of your stance, come and cry about it.

UConn is going to be playing mid majors and facing a $20M+ revenue gap every year, but since UNLV won a title 25 years ago and then faded into irrelevance, that's the big comforting fact?

This UConn team just wasn't that good. They had a great player in Boatright and then a lot of guys who really didn't look like they knew what they were doing out there most of the time. Exception being Hamilton. Guys showed flashes, like Brimah and Purvis, but the team wasn't that good.

It sucks that were in the NIT, but not a shock.

Which brings me back to my original and only point. The root of all this unrest is because people don't know what the future holds and that's all related to the league.

If we were in the ACC or B1G, the talk would be about disappointment, and then reloading.

When you do it over and over again, it's whining.

Reaction Score
We are so lucky as fans to have witnessed the run we got to witness.

Runs end, even if teams aren't thrust into wild conference alignment. Did people actually think we'd win 4 championships in every 15 year stretch for the rest of time?

We will probably still have great years in our future, but people need to accept the absurdity of what UConn accomplished and get ready for regression to the mean at some point.
I feel like UConn fans think NCAA titles are easy. I mean, we are justified, especially considering that since 1995 our two basketball programs have won 13 titles, with #14 on the way. The only team (teams with 3+ titles) in history to have a lower average of years between national titles than us is UCLA, and they won 11 in 31 years. Only 6 programs in the 76 years of awarding the NCAA championship have won 4. I think instead of using these past few days to complain about recruiting or the inability of KO to coach, we should be reflecting on how lucky we are as fans to have had what we have had. From the time of their first championship to their fourth, Indiana needed 46 years to get to 4, UNC needed 48. We needed 15. Think about that.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think you can call Boatright a "great" player. But he is not a great point guard.

Marcus Williams was a better "point guard" than Kemba, Napier or Boat.

However, Kemba, Napier and Boat's "greatness" definitely exceeds Williams.

Still think to say Boat didn't make his teammates better is a pretty naive statement. Just the simple fact other teams geared their D to stop him every single game created looks and opportunities for other guys.

Reaction Score
I look at Maryland.

Mark Turgeon was the mirror image of Randy Edsall there. The fanbase was very disappointed. Now they're pointed to as a Team contending.

One Freshman guard leads. And their nucleus all are one year more experienced ... And better. Probably one more experienced Add. In CBB, this turns quick. And UConn fans have seen this repeatedly. Jalen Adams ... Let's go - big expectations.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
When you do it over and over again, it's whining.

You want to point out where I keep saying this? It's only to rebuttal people such as yourself.

I said it's about conference realignment. One sentence. You and everyone else created the debate yourself.

Reaction Score
Marcus Williams was a better "point guard" than Kemba, Napier or Boat.

However, Kemba, Napier and Boat's "greatness" definitely exceeds Williams.

Still think to say Boat didn't make his teammates better is a pretty naive statement. Just the simple fact other teams geared their D to stop him every single game created looks and opportunities for other guys.

1. Marcus Williams couldn't guard my sandwich in a locked refrigerator. He might have been a better pure passer than Kemba or Shabazz, but as an all around point guard absolutely no way. Being more "prototypical" does not make you better.

2. On Boat, this seems like one where you seem to be fighting to disagree over nothing. Our team was much better because Boat was on it. But part of the role of a point guard is getting other people their shots in the right place in the right time. Boat was, frankly, not good enough at that. Shabazz and Kemba absolutely were good at that (hence, the rings), even if they were also more of scoring threats than Marcus.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
1. Marcus Williams couldn't guard my sandwich in a locked refrigerator. He might have been a better pure passer than Kemba or Shabazz, but as an all around point guard absolutely no way. Being more "prototypical" does not make you better.

2. On Boat, this seems like one where you seem to be fighting to disagree over nothing. Our team was much better because Boat was on it. But part of the role of a point guard is getting other people their shots in the right place in the right time. Boat was, frankly, not good enough at that. Shabazz and Kemba absolutely were good at that (hence, the rings), even if they were also more of scoring threats than Marcus.

This is semantics then, I thought you were arguing the prototypical angle.

I rank them Napier, Walker, big gap, Boat, Marcus.

Marcus was the best pure passer, I've ever seen at UConn.

Boat certainly isn't on Kemba or Napier's level with anything on court.

Boat wasn't a great facilitator, but at the same time, he was only our true PG for one year, was asked to shoulder the scoring every single night and defenses sold out to stop him.

On a different team, with better teammates, it could've been a different story.

Reaction Score
So are you saying that people don't have the right to react to what they have seen this year and to be concerned going forward? Seriously, this isn't about being "jaded and entitled". A disappointing season has just come to an end so to not expect people to vent about it is beyond silly.
What exactly did you see this year?
We did not play well enough yo get into the tournament regardless of conference..
So blaming the AAC for this year is childish. We lost 3 games at Gambel to mediocre teams. Without winning the tourney, we would have had to win , Those three plus, temple at home,( we played them when they were short handed plus Houston.
We would have been safely in. If we did that and were denied than we would have had a legitimate grip against our conference.
We lost two guys to the NBA draft two more to European leagues.
We had RB back, to play both 1 and 2 guard at the same time. He did the best he could but as other people mentioned he was not a natual PG
Would the team have been better with Kemba or SN instead .
Probably , they had that KAM swagger that said "I'm in charge out here and if you follow me we can't lose."They especially KW made everyone around him better .All three had BB IQ 's through the roof.
Do you understand how rare that gift is and how fortunate we've been.
It's not by accident that those guys all have rings.
Boat led by example ,he left is all on the floor , what more could we possibly ask.
For a kid whose only Idea of an entry pass when he got here was an Alley-Oop
To make himself into a darn good point is something he and all of us should be proud of.

Reaction Score
Boat certainly isn't on Kemba or Napier's level with anything on court.
I agree with everything except this:

Defense.

He was a lock-down defender.

It was harder for him to do that this year and shoulder the burden of scoring. Much as Kemba was a "better" defender freshman and sophomore year, and then we put him on the opponent's weakest link his junior year to save him.

Boat didn't always have that luxury. He was the only consistent offensive threat, and he was also the best on the ball defender, so he was often guarding their best players.

I don't think he was a poor facilitator. He just needed someone else to consistently step up. Even then, though, that wasn't his particular strength.

He was probably the best combination of scoring and defense we had at the 1 though.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Boat is right there in Uconn history with anyone you wish to match him against.

Early in 2013-14, he was a concern and a liability at times. By the end of that season he was a champion and this season became an all- time Uconn great

If those he leaves behind follow his example, championship #5 isn't too far down the road.

Reaction Score
I don't think he was a poor facilitator. He just needed someone else to consistently step up. Even then, though, that wasn't his particular strength.

Was Kemba a better facilitator than Boatright, or did he just have better options? Serious question. The knock on Boatright as a facilitator or "pure point guard" - whatever that means - has to consider how limited this offense was.

Reaction Score
We are so lucky as fans to have witnessed the run we got to witness.

Runs end, even if teams aren't thrust into wild conference alignment. Did people actually think we'd win 4 championships in every 15 year stretch for the rest of time?

We will probably still have great years in our future, but people need to accept the absurdity of what UConn accomplished and get ready for regression to the mean at some point.

I can live with a down year. But what it sounds like you are talking about is lowering our standards. Accepting less and saying its ok. When that happens less becomes acceptable and you perform to that. You can see at this point where that trend continues to go. For Schools that have stood the test of time and are still good programs year in and year out, their fans dont accept it. Its ok to be upset when your team doesnt meet the standard. Lets the staff and players know what we expect! Just like if you have a kid are you going to say, its cool that you didnt make the honor roll, maybe next time.. Im going to let me kid know that im not happy with it and it better improve. If you dont shoot for better there wont be a better. I remember my band instructor in high school grouching at students and kids would complain about it. He said you shouldnt worry if Im yelling at you, you should worry if Im not yelling at you. Look at Uconns football program? What is the standard? I dont want our basketball program to turn into that. The Coaches, the players everyone should be dissapointed and upset with not making the tounament. It should be unacceptable and beneath us every single year.

I know I probably sound delusional but i think fans and how they feel makes a difference even if its just in the level of pride the team has. Nobody ever became elite by accepting that you'll settle into the mean. Maybe it will end one day, but you keep the high standards until the ship sinks imo.

Reaction Score
Was Kemba a better facilitator than Boatright, or did he just have better options? Serious question. The knock on Boatright as a facilitator or "pure point guard" - whatever that means - has to consider how limited this offense was.
I mean, I guess there's a reason that our team was better with Kemba at the 2 then we were with him at the 1.

I don't think that was Kemba's great strength either. Although it's hard to tell because in the league his team is filled with guys who don't get him assists.

Reaction Score
Is there even time to have perspective in this college sports landscape?

The AAC no matter how you feel about it is set up for our football and men's basketball to be the best it possibly can in terms of wins. There are wins all over the place on both schedules playing in this league. And both teams had about as bad of a season as they possibly could. We really can't have that right now.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I agree with everything except this:

Defense.

He was a lock-down defender.

It was harder for him to do that this year and shoulder the burden of scoring. Much as Kemba was a "better" defender freshman and sophomore year, and then we put him on the opponent's weakest link his junior year to save him.

Boat didn't always have that luxury. He was the only consistent offensive threat, and he was also the best on the ball defender, so he was often guarding their best players.

He was probably the best combination of scoring and defense we had at the 1 though.

Good point, Boat was lock down on D.

I was caught up thinking offense only.

The job they did on Wilbiken still makes me laugh with how much they shut him down.

Reaction Score
I agree with the general point of your post, but you're also guilty of your own hyperbole, especially this:

When we whimpered down the stretch of the 1992-1993 season all I can remember hearing was “I guess Calhoun really didn’t have it. He did have a nice little run but it is over.”.

If that's all you heard, you were really hanging out with some dumb fans. I'd imagine there were a few yahoos calling into talk radio saying that, but any UConn fan with half a brain knew what the program was like pre-Calhoun and with Calhoun and no one thought his "nice little run" was over.

I agree with the point that fans need perspective, and I think most would have perspective and would be more accepting of this NIT season if we were in a P5 conference.

But give me a championship one year and the NIT the next year anytime over a two-year stretch with NCAA bids but no titles.

Reaction Score
Good point, Boat was lock down on D.

I was caught up thinking offense only.

The job they did on Wilbiken still makes me laugh with how much they shut him down.
By the end of the game, I felt genuinely bad for Wilbekin. Boat absolutely destroyed him, and then demoralized him.

It was like watching a puppy getting run over by an 18-wheeler...and then having the truck reverse over the poor thing again.

Reaction Score

Yes, I think he was a much better facilitator. I don't want to spend all day on this because I don't want to be negative about Boat -- when I've been clear I think he was an outstanding basketball player -- but did you watch this weekend. How many times did Boat penetrate and kick to a wide open 3 point shooter, but the ball floated out there lazilly and the D recovered, or the pass was below the knees, and the D recovered, or moved the shooter's feet, and the D recovered? Boat did not get the ball to people in the right place in the right time like true point guards do, and like KEA, KO, Sheffer, Marcus, Shabazz and Kemba all did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom