I think we have Drummond covered, what about Deandre Daniels ? | The Boneyard

I think we have Drummond covered, what about Deandre Daniels ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Will he start over Roscoe at any point in the season?
How polished is his offensive game?
Is he a one and done?

This kid seems to be an enigma. I hope he settles in at Uconn and stays a few years. at 6-7 and a definite small forward/swing man, he could be the next RIP, Caron, Rudy....

thoughts?

Reaction Score
In terms of ranking, Daniels is probably one of the top 6-7 highest rated recruits that Uconn has ever brought in, and NOBODY is talking about him. It's pretty remarkable.

He's not a one and done - 1) he needs to get stronger and 2) his upside this year will be limited by the other great players around him. I think he'll really shine his sophomore year assuming Lamb and Drummond are gone.

I'm guessing that Roscoe gets most of the starts at the 3. Calhoun likes to start the game with as physical of a lineup as possible and I think it makes a lot of sense to bring Boatright and Daniels off the bench to provide scoring and a change of pace. Offensively he's more polished than Roscoe as he can really handle the ball for a 6'7'' kid. But Roscoe has proven to be such a good rebounder and defender - Daniels will have to prove that he can contribute in these areas as well.

Reaction Score
Daniels has said he expects to stay 2 years at UConn. My guess is it'll be 3 years. At this point Roscoe should be the starter at the 3

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
roscoe will start at the 3. dd will be the teams 6th man. why? why no boat or a bigman? becuase dd is a nba body/skillset guy who just needs 2 years of weights/jc time to develope. we can take him off the bench and plug him into the 2 3 or 4. he has good enough handle and O to play the 2, has the wing ath in him for the 3 and is just lenghly enough where if needed we can kill some minutes at the 4.

Reaction Score
Will he start over Roscoe at any point in the season?
How polished is his offensive game?
Is he a one and done?

This kid seems to be an enigma. I hope he settles in at Uconn and stays a few years. at 6-7 and a definite small forward/swing man, he could be the next RIP, Caron, Rudy....

thoughts?
Yes, seems like DD is the forgotten man here. I believe he will get plenty of minutes because he is a much more polished ofensive player than Roscoe. The videos on him are just insane. The kid has a very good handle and seems to shoot the ball well at any range. I know we are just seeing the very best plays on the videos, but at least your witnessing what he can do againt REAL action and not against A CHAIR !!!!!!

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

For all the talk about his recruiting indecisions, seems like a good kid. Really excited to have him on board!

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I feel like he can be one of the more, if not the most explosive player on the team. Based on what he said in the interview he seems like a good kid with a decent head on his shoulders (at least compared to the average basketball player)

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think he will cause the most problems on the floor. His height, speed, he can dribble and has a shot like KD

Reaction Score
I feel like he can be one of the more, if not the most explosive player on the team. Based on what he said in the interview he seems like a good kid with a decent head on his shoulders (at least compared to the average basketball player)

Not to read too much into his twitter account, but all he tweets about is going to the gym and practicing pretty much, which I take as a good sign.

Reaction Score
Not to read too much into his twitter account, but all he tweets about is going to the gym and practicing pretty much, which I take as a good sign.

I like that his Twitter account lists his location as "Uconn's Gym"

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I think we have multiple dunkers this year. All 3 freshmen, plus Lamb/AO/Roscoe.

Can't wait to see Daniels play.

Reaction Score
Think we'll see any lineups with him and Roscoe in the floor at the same time?

Reaction Score
It
Yes, seems like DD is the forgotten man here. I believe he will get plenty of minutes because he is a much more polished ofensive player than Roscoe. The videos on him are just insane. The kid has a very good handle and seems to shoot the ball well at any range. I know we are just seeing the very best plays on the videos, but at least your witnessing what he can do againt REAL action and not against A CHAIR !!!!!!
It's hard to say right now that DD is more polished on offense then R Smith. Remember he was the highest ranked player we had in the class and was known as a offensive threat coming into school. He has a year under his belt and NC experience. He also has put on some LBs and has been working on his JS in the off season. I do not think DD will start any any point this year. If he does then he will have to be a complete stud the likes of which we have not seen at UCONN in many years if ever. That would be a good problem to have.
I do think we will see RS at the 4 and DD at the 3 for stretches when AO is on the bench or is shifted to the 5 if AD has foul trouble or needs a rest ect..... We would lose some beef in the paint but we would still be long and a nightmare on D. Hopefully DD's outside shot is as good as advertised.

Reaction Score
Think we'll see any lineups with him and Roscoe in the floor at the same time?
Definitely. Roscoe proved last year that he can play the 4. Had Drummond not committed, I think we would have seen it a lot.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of people dont know exactly what to expect from DD. I know most of us have seen ton of Drummond highlights and some have seen him play live. Boatright most have seen play on the internet. But Daniels we have only seen a couple clips that are about a year and a half old. So expectations range from some think he could beat out Roscoe others say no way but no one really knows.

Even on the recruiting sites they dont know what to do with him. One has him as the 10th best player in the country and listed as a SF another has him at 28 and listed as a PF, ESPN says he would be ranked in the forties if he didn't go to prep school. I'm Most excited to see Daniels because I honestly don't know what to expect.

Reaction Score
I wish there were more videos of him on YouTube, not really sure what to expect from him. Same with Omar.

Reaction Score
Omar had his nike global challenge games online so Some of us have seen him play in a game setting.

Reaction Score
Roscoe was hot and cold last year. Some days, he was a great offensive threat - and other days - he was completely irrelevant. I'd like to see more consistency from him. If that doesn't happen, without a doubt Deandre Daniels will have a start or two or more (if he proves to be more consistent.) One thing that Roscoe was good at was defending, but Deandre Daniels doesn't sound like he'd be much of a downgrade if at all in that game.

The way I see it, Roscoe will be on thin ice for playing time. He could see a lot of minutes, and should early, because he's experienced. But with inconsistency could come fewer and fewer minutes as the freshmen improve.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of people dont know exactly what to expect from DD. I know most of us have seen ton of Drummond highlights and some have seen him play live. Boatright most have seen play on the internet. But Daniels we have only seen a couple clips that are about a year and a half old. So expectations range from some think he could beat out Roscoe others say no way but no one really knows.

Even on the recruiting sites they dont know what to do with him. One has him as the 10th best player in the country and listed as a SF another has him at 28 and listed as a PF, ESPN says he would be ranked in the forties if he didn't go to prep school. I'm Most excited to see Daniels because I honestly don't know what to expect.

That's a great episode, by the way. Prop Joe with his blank clipboard.

Reaction Score
haha I googled Stringer Bell and Avon Barksdale and thats what came up. Thought about making it Omar, McNulty or Bubs but had to go with Avon and Stringer.

C

Chief00

I think there is a good chance that both Daniels and AD stay 2 years.....but its far from a given. JC has never advised anyone to turn down top 3 NBA draft pick money. AD most likely will be a top 3 after this season and I don't believe JC has even advised anyone to turn down top 10 money. JC did not think Bynum was a top 10 pick.

To the Daniels question - I see him as our shooter off the bench this season. He could get starter minutes, so let's not get hung up on who starts. Remember, Olander started last season - and he was not top 5 in minutes. I don't think the coaches will lose much sleep over who starts.....its more the combos you throw at certain teams .....at various points in the game.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe that AD's term at UConn will depend ebntirely on the NBA's new CBA (if they continue to allow one year out of HS, he'll be here one year. If tnhey extend it, he'll be here longer). I would be surprised (but it would likely be a very good sign for our 2011-2012 season) if DD isn't here at least two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom