I think the season comes down to two things | The Boneyard

I think the season comes down to two things

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
chemistry and if hamilton can have a Jeremy lamb type sophomore year. Lamb had a great sophomore year. He was lighting it up and worked his way in into the lottery(correct me if I'm wrong) and this team has more experience than that years team. The chemistry will be a big issue and hopefully the guys are working together this offseason. I'm trying to expectations but I am really pumped for this upcoming season

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
chemistry and if hamilton can have a Jeremy lamb type sophomore year. Lamb had a great sophomore year. He was lighting it up and worked his way in into the lottery(correct me if I'm wrong) and this team has more experience than that years team. The chemistry will be a big issue and hopefully the guys are working together this offseason. I'm trying to expectations but I am really pumped for this upcoming season
One more thing will be very important. Amida's development will be critical. Avoidance of foul trouble and ability to know when to block shots versus get a rebound. Strength development, an ability to get offensive rebounds and better footwork on the offensive end.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If we can't win OOC games we'll be on the bubble again.
That's assuming the AAC has last years OOC results versus two seasons prior. I'm thinking the league will be closer to two years ago.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
I like us against Ohio St, Texas, and in the Atlantis field. Gonzaga is the only team I see beating us in that tourney. Maryland and GTown will be tough matchups, Maryland specifically. GTown has a solid recruiting class and a skilled frontcourt that could overmatch ours. I think we can win that game though.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that Lamb and Hamilton have the same type of games. Lamb was a better shooter by a decent margin, but Hamilton has a better feel for the game, is a better passer/rebounder, and has a tighter handle. If DHam can get his shot near where Lamb was in his sophomore year, this will almost certainly be his last year on campus.

I think chemistry is the big factor with this team. While we are an upper-class laden team, many of the key pieces have just been added this year. There will be an adjustment period where the players feel out their roles within the team and learn their new teammates' tendencies. While the talent is undeniable, we may have our growing pains early in the year. However, I trust KO will have us playing our best ball come March.

Reaction Score
Maybe we can beat Houston this year. We have a WTF loss to them every year.

Come to think of it, we pretty much sucked on the road. Not that we lit up Gampel. But our road loses were stinkaroos.

Reaction Score
One more thing will be very important. Amida's development will be critical. Avoidance of foul trouble and ability to know when to block shots versus get a rebound. Strength development, an ability to get offensive rebounds and better footwork on the offensive end.
This is pretty much going to determine our season along with chemistry. We also have to be more consistent on perimeter D so Brimah doesn't have to make as many decisions.

Reaction Score
Did a little digging as far as other AAC teams' OOCs:
SMU: Las Vegas Classic, Gonzaga, Michigan, Stanford, TCU, Yale, Brown
Cincy: Butler, VCU, Iowa Sate, Xavier, Murray State

Not going to dig much deeper because the AAC makes me sad.

Reaction Score
If we consistently score more points than our opponents, I like our chances.
We should pursue a strategy of trying to score a lot of points and trying to prevent the other team from scoring points. But we must do both if we want to outscore our opponents consistently.

Reaction Score
I think outside shooting and rebounding killed us last year and we have to hope we improve in those 2 spots this year. If we can spread the floor with at least 2 solid three point threats, it opens up the court. Then guys can slash and dunk or pass (to insert bigman here). I think thats our game. Also getting out on fast breaks with good defense. Add in some solid rebounding so that we limit opponents second chances and get more chances on our end of the court and we'll have an amazing season. Easier said then done!

Reaction Score
I actually think chemistry alone is what the season comes down to. I think we know what to expect from our players. It's just whether or not they can play together as a team.

Reaction Score
I actually think chemistry alone is what the season comes down to. I think we know what to expect from our players. It's just whether or not they can play together as a team.

Not sure I agree that "chemistry alone" makes the season, but it is by far the most important factor especially when we are in the tourney and/or playing against solid competition.

Reaction Score
Three things....rebounding scoring and more rebounding

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Three things....rebounding scoring and more rebounding
These of course, but I think another key will not letting your foot off the gas, and in turn not beating yourself up after losses. We weren't good in those aspects last year. We lacked passion/tenacity from the last second of the Texas game until the AAC tournament.

A lack of confidence spread like wildfire last year with everyone besides Boat. Purvis wasn't sure about anything until March, Hamilton never went up strong and had FT troubles that appeared to be mental, Omar lost his touch and never found it, Facey went from being high energy to a ghost, and Cassell let his shooting slump eat him up. It's a lot tougher to come out of these things when a lot of your teammates are also down on themselves.

Reaction Score
These of course, but I think another key will not letting your foot off the gas, and in turn not beating yourself up after losses. We weren't good in those aspects last year. We lacked passion/tenacity from the last second of the Texas game until the AAC tournament.

A lack of confidence spread like wildfire last year with everyone besides Boat. Purvis wasn't sure about anything until March, Hamilton never went up strong and had FT troubles that appeared to be mental, Omar lost his touch and never found it, Facey went from being high energy to a ghost, and Cassell let his shooting slump eat him up. It's a lot tougher to come out of these things when a lot of your teammates are also down on themselves.
Always comes down to rebounding. Win the boards, hit a few threes, and everything else falls into place. Brimah staying on the court is huge. Rebounding and interior D are a must for him and the team.

Reaction Score
one thing: find a way to defend against the last second three point shot from the corner.

I know KO likes to say they just needed 1 more stop, but in both cases they really needed to score more points, missed free throws were a big part of both at the end. we scored 54 against texas and 44 against yale, if we score 60 or 70 we win both those easily.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

and if we're 20-15 we're going to the NIT

and the Sun rises in the East

and the Jets $uck

and Squid is a lifelong cheater

and the women's team is the best program in the country

and if we win every game, we'll be undefeated national champions

Reaction Score
I know KO likes to say they just needed 1 more stop, but in both cases they really needed to score more points, missed free throws were a big part of both at the end. we scored 54 against texas and 44 against yale, if we score 60 or 70 we win both those easily.
Sure, but in each of those games we either: a) played an injured Boatright, or b) didn't play him at all.

Missing your primary point guard contributes to the lack of points.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well I know one thing to save from losing close games, have someone standing on the left side three point line so they cannot get off a shot there!!!!!!! Killed us last year!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom