I spent the day in the Women's BB chat room- here's what I found: | The Boneyard

I spent the day in the Women's BB chat room- here's what I found:

Reaction Score
I signed into the WBB chat room while watching the UT game today and noticed something that interested me: Many yarders were merciless against the players today. Even when we were up by 21 midway through Q3 there was talk of us blowing the lead. They slam Christyn Williams (career 50%fg 15ppg) for slumping the past few games and question Azzi Fudd (who just played her 4th game)
Now this woman's team put a scare into their fan base recently, but they just came out and whooped the #7 team in the country (all without Bueckers and Ducharme). Those prior eked out wins and bad losses are wiped out from our consciousness and the general feeling now is that the lady huskies are a force you don't want to mess with. Yet, in the same game, until the final whistle, part of the base was still critical and negative. Now... they are flying high. So am I. It was great to watch! It shows me that even after the last 2 losses for MBB, all it takes is one convincing win and we WILL be back. This team is not down. Even though you'd think it by the recent threads. We are still in position to storm into the tourney.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Dipping my toe in the water, I found the game chats (both mens and womens) to be very negative and won't visit them any more.
Once in a while I look at one but there are so many “in the moment”’ ridiculous, stream of consciousness silliness coming from presumed adults that joining is the last thing I’d do. Like watching an episode of Real Basketball Fans of Storrs. Gotta love the internet. But even doing this is kinda weird I have to admit.

Reaction Score
I think fans are a lot harder on the womens team, and thats because expectations are always so high. Ive heard people say that the UConn women are having a “bad” year because they lost too many games. They are ranked 10th in the country and lost 4 games. Yes, the injuries are bad, but they are still a top 10 team.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
"so I have this problem - my brother is crazy. He thinks he's a chicken"
"well do something. Take him to a psychiatrist"
" I would, but I need the eggs"

You need the eggs. We all do.
If you only knew. Unfortunately I don’t like eggs unless buried deep inside a moist chocolate cake.

Reaction Score
thread derailment: I love eggs but they don't agree with me.

Reaction Score
There is some negativity but also a lot of positive comments, especially afterward. The nature of the chat is to post quickly and that lends itself to these in-the-moment knee-jerk reactions. It simply takes too long for cohesive comments, the play is already gone and anything discussed loses its context.

Not sure how the men will fare this season, but nothing wrong in rooting for the women. They have an interesting squad and a few freshmen (Caroline Ducharme, Azzi Fudd) are great players and have had to insert themselves into the line-up due to injuries and have really integrated themselves and are playing well. Azzi had a great game, against Tennessee yesterday, it was her first start since being injured herself, and she was phenomenal. She is a 5'10 sharpshooter with quick release and very solid all-around fundamentals. They have been playing without their star, 5-11 sophomore guard Paige Bueckers, who last year as a freshman was voted Player of the Year and deservedly so. Caroline Ducharme, another first year sharpshooter, is a slender 6-2 guard/forward with a great all-around game too, and she can take it inside as well as bomb away from 3. It is fun to watch this team because they do have important seniors who sometimes have inconsistent performances, but the team as a whole has lots of gritty, talented, complementary players that play well together. They are indeed ranked in top 10, and it looks like they will get Paige back in time for end of season and playoffs.

They played a couple of really good teams earlier and lost decisively especially with 4th quarter lapses, now that they are getting back to full squad (and hopefully Paige returns too, she had kneecap fracture 8 weeks ago), they can substitute more frequently so their stars are rested for the 4th. Will they make it to Final Four? Probably, they seem to have a lot of potent pieces and they are on a streak of 13 consecutive Final Fours. They last won the championship in 2016, I believe, each year since then some team has been able to beat them, a couple were overtime losses. The women's game has seen some other schools becoming consistent powers such as South Carolina, Stanford, and a few others- parity has reached the women's ranks. But there is something about this year's squad, their mix of young stars and veterans, plus the angst of all the injuries they have had, that is stirring up the magic pixie dust in the atmosphere, and I can't wait to see what happens.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Dipping my toe in the water, I found the game chats (both mens and womens) to be very negative and won't visit them any more.

The chat exists because the live game takes are so unhinged and stupid. It's mostly emotion rather than any rational thought going on. That spew of vomitous nonsense, often wildly disparaging, used to actually appear in game thread and was thus preserved and could be searched.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I signed into the WBB chat room while watching the UT game today and noticed something that interested me: Many yarders were merciless against the players today. Even when we were up by 21 midway through Q3 there was talk of us blowing the lead. They slam Christyn Williams (career 50%fg 15ppg) for slumping the past few games and question Azzi Fudd (who just played her 4th game)
Now this woman's team put a scare into their fan base recently, but they just came out and whooped the #7 team in the country (all without Bueckers and Ducharme). Those prior eked out wins and bad losses are wiped out from our consciousness and the general feeling now is that the lady huskies are a force you don't want to mess with. Yet, in the same game, until the final whistle, part of the base was still critical and negative. Now... they are flying high. So am I. It was great to watch! It shows me that even after the last 2 losses for MBB, all it takes is one convincing win and we WILL be back. This team is not down. Even though you'd think it by the recent threads. We are still in position to storm into the tourney.
People lose their minds in the chat room. Better there than on the board.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Gave up on the women's chat board last year. Very little, if at times any, normal discussion. Trashing is the mode.

Reaction Score
Not making a blanket statement, because there are plenty of decent people here I’ve seen contribute well to a chart; but consider what kind of person someone who keeps themselves company with a forum live chat with people they don’t know while they’re watching basketball at home alone may be

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not making a blanket statement, because there are plenty of decent people here I’ve seen contribute well to a chart; but consider what kind of person someone who keeps themselves company with a forum live chat with people they don’t know while they’re watching basketball at home alone may be
1644260460789.jpeg

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Nothing new

Social media gives everyone a voice. I'll just have to leave it at that

Reaction Score
Too many people are overreacting to both good and bad game results like each game is somehow a referendum on individual players and/or the team or even more ridiculously the program overall. Just chill out people.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think fans are a lot harder on the womens team, and thats because expectations are always so high. Ive heard people say that the UConn women are having a “bad” year because they lost too many games. They are ranked 10th in the country and lost 4 games. Yes, the injuries are bad, but they are still a top 10 team.
I don’t know. True on expectations, but from the men’s chat as well as regular threads you’d think Hurley is the worst UConn coach since Burr Carlson (Google if need be).

Reaction Score
They hide it in the message board and try to act like friendly grandparents but behind closed doors they are vicious
I have never ventured into that realm are the posters mostly women? Urban legend and rumor has it that women are more vicious on each other is that true? Yet I think that the women’s BB fans expect. J h more because they have been spoiled by the great success of the woman’s program.

Sort of reminds me of Yankee fans of the 1950- 1960’s. A friend of mine literally cried when the Dodgers swept the 1964 World Series. Poor soul.

Reaction Score
I have never ventured into that realm are the posters mostly women? Urban legend and rumor has it that women are more vicious on each other is that true? Yet I think that the women’s BB fans expect. J h more because they have been spoiled by the great success of the woman’s program.

Sort of reminds me of Yankee fans of the 1950- 1960’s. A friend of mine literally cried when the Dodgers swept the 1964 World Series. Poor soul.
I follow the woman's team. Not as much as the men, but I watch them if they are on, and genuinely love the program. But I got the feeling that the women's fans may not really follow the men's team. There were a few references to the men in the chat room but it felt like they may as well have been referring to Martians, judging by the lack of recognition. Hard-core uconn women's fans are definitely their own breed.

Reaction Score
I'd love to think that the threads are where the rational fans hang, and the chat rooms are for the unhinged, but all we need to do is look at the "Hurley is the wrong guy" threads to know that these two groups freely cross the chat/thread border.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Nope. Women’s board is predominantly men, like 80%. Most women’s board posters are over 60 years old, too. So you men’s board guys remember when you go there and mock the posters, you’re taking potshots at someone like your dad or grandad, since we have a large contingent of 80+ year olds.

Reaction Score
I follow the woman's team. Not as much as the men, but I watch them if they are on, and genuinely love the program. But I got the feeling that the women's fans may not really follow the men's team. There were a few references to the men in the chat room but it felt like they may as well have been referring to Martians, judging by the lack of recognition. Hard-core uconn women's fans are definitely their own breed.
It goes both ways, and for/against football too. I don’t get it at all. I root for all UConn teams and athletes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom