I see Kyla potential on display... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I see Kyla potential on display...

Reaction Score
While watching the FSU-ND game, I am watching Kathryn Westbeld and I see her lees than fluid movements but very solid and effective play and correlate how we have seen Kyla earn more time with her aggressive and evolving play. So am I wrong in seeing similar style of play of what Wesrbeld is and has been displaying and what Kyla looks to be in her potential with post moves, outside shooting and general defensive efforts. Anyone else seeing this or should I just keep putting Bailey's in my coffee?
Don't jinx Kyla and change. If anything add a little more to your coffee!

Reaction Score
I hope/think Kyla is going to see more playing time next year than many people think. IMO I think the freshmen coming in other than Megan Walker will see minutes similar to Molly and Kyla this season - ie blowouts and end of game minutes. Don't forget Molly and Kyla have high basketball IQs as daughters of basketball coaches and it took them awhile to know where to go and what to do - especially on defense. As for the transfers, they are ready and going to play so I wouldn't be surprised if the starters are getting 25-30 minutes a game and the next line (pardon my hockey analogy) getting 15-20.

The headache of finding minutes for the deserving next year will be offset by the luxury of the insurance for injury or sickness.

Reaction Score
(1)I hope/think Kyla is going to see more playing time next year than many people think. IMO I think the freshmen coming in other than Megan Walker will see minutes similar to Molly and Kyla this season - ie blowouts and end of game minutes. Don't forget Molly and Kyla have high basketball IQs as daughters of basketball coaches and it took them awhile to know where to go and what to do - especially on defense. As for the transfers, they are ready and going to play (2) so I wouldn't be surprised if the starters are getting 25-30 minutes a game and the next line (pardon my hockey analogy) getting 15-20.

The headache of finding minutes for the deserving next year will be offset by the luxury of the insurance for injury or sickness.

1---- I don't think so. Unless there are injuries. It's not about Kyla. It's about the other post players. Who is she going to beat out of - Stevens, Collier, Gabby, and Camara? That is 4 post players of which Gabby and Cocllier are already a/a quality and you've heard abut Stevens -- and Camara was a blue chip recruit in h/s and played well for Ky her frosh year, so who is she going to beat out? Maybe she can beat out Nat. But she can't vs the others, right?

If the move is to pull Gabby from the post -- why would you do it? She is already a tremendous a/a right now. The game isn't soley done for only Gabby to improve. Right now you'll already have Kia, Danger, Lou and Walker. And I wouldn't count out for example Coombs. If you put Gabby in the backcourt and thus allow Kyla more minutes at the pf/c position - you are taking away minutes from Kia, and/or Lou, and/or Danger and/or Walker. Is she really better than these players in that you would feel a need to use more of Kyla instead?

2--- Why wouldn't you want the starting 5 to develop more of a synergy together rather than play them only 15-20 minutes? They'll have Stevens for example to work with. Wouldn't you want at the very least to give her about 25 minutes working with other players? And you think for example having all-americans such as Gabby, Lou and Collier is a good idea "sitting them" for only 15 minutes because you want to give lesser players who aren't as good more minutes? Why should they be punished for not even being allowed to play half a game or less? Because they worked too hard and are too good?

Recently we heard from last year a player deliberately missed a free throw so she wouldn't get pulled from the game- just for an extra minute or two. We've heard Lou tell Geno that even though she had been sick - she "wanted to play" not just a few minutes. We've heard Geno remark that Kia wants to play and he joked that he had her penciled in for 2nd round of the tourney and he said he'd though he would use her hockey experience on him after he said it. The stars want to play. You start rewarding players that aren't as good as the stars close to equal minutes, for one thing you aren't maximizing your team and secondly more minutes to the less deserving vs the stars - you'll gradually see the super recruits start to go to other places. A super recruit - many don't mind playing 28 minutes-- maybe 25 you can get away with. Ones who have knee issues are okay with less. But you start giving them 15 minutes a game instead of 25+ -- so they can watch players not as good as them get almost equal minutes, that "ain't gonna fly."

The UCONN bench next year can be fine if starters get about 125+ minutes. Three bench players gets 45-50 minutes. Keeping in mind for a top 8 player that some games that player will be hurt, feeling under the weather, in the dog house for a day, then another player or two will get those minutes in that game thus bumping up their average per minutes while the one player that did not play it won't affect theirs. Anyhow - here is an example of what can be done: Red shirt one player. One player gets 4 minutes. Three players get an average of 7 minutes. And you do have a strong bench 8 deep between the starters (125) and three bench players (50).

Reaction Score
1--- I don't think so. Unless there are injuries. It's not about Kyla. It's about the other post players. Who is she going to beat out of - Stevens, Collier, Gabby, and Camara? That is 4 post players of which Gabby and Cocllier are already a/a quality and you've heard abut Stevens -- and Camara was a blue chip recruit in h/s and played well for Ky her frosh year, so who is she going to beat out? Maybe she can beat out Nat. But she can't vs the others, right?

If the move is to pull Gabby from the post -- why would you do it? She is already a tremendous a/a right now. The game isn't soley done for only Gabby to improve. Right now you'll already have Kia, Danger, Lou and Walker. And I wouldn't count out for example Coombs. If you put Gabby in the backcourt and thus allow Kyla more minutes at the pf/c position - you are taking away minutes from Kia, and/or Lou, and/or Danger and/or Walker. Is she really better than these players in that you would feel a need to use more of Kyla instead?

2--- Why wouldn't you want the starting 5 to develop more of a synergy together rather than play them only 15-20 minutes? They'll have Stevens for example to work with. Wouldn't you want at the very least to give her about 25 minutes working with other players? And you think for example having all-americans such as Gabby, Lou and Collier is a good idea "sitting them" for only 15 minutes because you want to give lesser players who aren't as good more minutes? Why should they be punished for not even being allowed to play half a game or less? Because they worked too hard and are too good?

Recently we heard from last year a player deliberately missed a free throw so she wouldn't get pulled from the game- just for an extra minute or two. We've heard Lou tell Geno that even though she had been sick - she "wanted to play" not just a few minutes. We've heard Geno remark that Kia wants to play and he joked that he had her penciled in for 2nd round of the tourney and he said he'd though he would use her hockey experience on him after he said it. The stars want to play. You start rewarding players that aren't as good as the stars close to equal minutes, for one thing you aren't maximizing your team and secondly more minutes to the less deserving vs the stars - you'll gradually see the super recruits start to go to other places. A super recruit - many don't mind playing 28 minutes-- maybe 25 you can get away with. Ones who have knee issues are okay with less. But you start giving them 15 minutes a game instead of 25+ -- so they can watch players not as good as them get almost equal minutes, that "ain't gonna fly."

The UCONN bench next year can be fine if starters get about 125+ minutes. Three bench players gets 45-50 minutes. Keeping in mind for a top 8 player that some games that player will be hurt, feeling under the weather, in the dog house for a day, then another player or two will get those minutes in that game thus bumping up their average per minutes while the one player that did not play it won't affect theirs. Anyhow - here is an example of what can be done: Red shirt one player. One player gets 4 minutes. Three players get an average of 7 minutes. And you do have a strong bench 8 deep between the starters (125) and three bench players (50).
Good points. Thanks.

Just to clarify.
1- I am not suggesting Kyla will be starting nor am I suggesting that she's replacing the players you mentioned. I think she'll see more (meaningful) minutes than she's seeing now as some posters have indicated that she'll see less. The additional minutes will be coming from when the starts are sitting on the bench. I think 35-40 minutes every game will not benefit the team when it's tournament time. I absolutely agree with you and share your excitement regarding Gabby, Lou, Collier, Stevens, Camara and Walker. I have high hopes for them as well. I am not convinced of Coombs - not because of her ability but because I am not familiar with her yet.

2- I agree with you that the starters need to develop synergy. I suggested 25-30 minutes. I think you misread the 15-20 minutes - it was a reference for the non-starters (ie 2nd line). You may be right and the starter may need more minutes but the offset is the lack of development of the players left on the bench.

Finally, I am not suggesting players get minutes they do not deserve. The minutes will be proportionate to how much trust Geno has in the player.

I like your suggestion in the last paragraph on how to handle the logjam. As I looked into the numbers more closely, I think we're saying the similar things. You suggested starters get 125 minutes - that's 25 minutes a starter. I suggested 25-30 minutes. You suggested 3 bench players get 50 minutes - That's 16-17 minutes. I suggested 15-20 minutes. Great minds . . .

At the end of the day, we're all scratching our heads trying to figure out how Geno will be spreading the minutes next year among the many great players, really good players, good players and those who will be great. Sadly, you may be right if the minutes do not satisfy some players and they transfer.

Reaction Score
Good points. Thanks.

Just to clarify.
1- I am not suggesting Kyla will be starting nor am I suggesting that she's replacing the players you mentioned. I think she'll see more (meaningful) minutes than she's seeing now as some posters have indicated that she'll see less. The additional minutes will be coming from when the starts are sitting on the bench. I think 35-40 minutes every game will not benefit the team when it's tournament time. I absolutely agree with you and share your excitement regarding Gabby, Lou, Collier, Stevens, Camara and Walker. I have high hopes for them as well. I am not convinced of Coombs - not because of her ability but because I am not familiar with her yet.

2- I agree with you that the starters need to develop synergy. I suggested 25-30 minutes. I think you misread the 15-20 minutes - it was a reference for the non-starters (ie 2nd line). You may be right and the starter may need more minutes but the offset is the lack of development of the players left on the bench.

Finally, I am not suggesting players get minutes they do not deserve. The minutes will be proportionate to how much trust Geno has in the player.

I like your suggestion in the last paragraph on how to handle the logjam. As I looked into the numbers more closely, I think we're saying the similar things. You suggested starters get 125 minutes - that's 25 minutes a starter. I suggested 25-30 minutes. You suggested 3 bench players get 50 minutes - That's 16-17 minutes. I suggested 15-20 minutes. Great minds . . .

At the end of the day, we're all scratching our heads trying to figure out how Geno will be spreading the minutes next year among the many great players, really good players, good players and those who will be great. Sadly, you may be right if the minutes do not satisfy some players and they transfer.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry. I thought you were suggesting 15 minutes for the all-americans.

I'm with ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do love Kyla's ability to shoot the ball and she looks like she has natural strength and base.

Reaction Score
I like Kyla's game: her outside shot looks great (lately), she's sturdy enough to block out anyone in WCBB, she runs, she defends pretty well. I love the way she's becoming bolder on offense as the season progresses.

Two things, though.

One, she doesn't jump for rebounds. I think this is an affliction common to a lot of 6'+ freshmen. They got rebounds in high school mostly from their height and having good position. At the college level that's usually not enough, unless you're Brittney Griner or someone equally tall. If you reach up flatfooted, some 6'4", athletic front line opponent will jump right over you. Jump, girl!

Two, like it probably seems to almost all freshmen, the college game happens at three or four times the pace of a high school game. Experience is the only solution to that problem. For some, they never seem to catch up. Kyle is becoming a mover and a shaker who sets the pace rather than reacting to the pace. Even a speed demon like Crystal Dangerfield has looked lost at times. So hang in there, girl!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I like Kyla's game: her outside shot looks great (lately), she's sturdy enough to block out anyone in WCBB, she runs, she defends pretty well. I love the way she's becoming bolder on offense as the season progresses.

Two things, though.

One, she doesn't jump for rebounds. I think this is an affliction common to a lot of 6'+ freshmen. They got rebounds in high school mostly from their height and having good position. At the college level that's usually not enough, unless you're Brittney Griner or someone equally tall. If you reach up flatfooted, some 6'4", athletic front line opponent will jump right over you. Jump, girl!

Two, like it probably seems to almost all freshmen, the college game happens at three or four times the pace of a high school game. Experience is the only solution to that problem. For some, they never seem to catch up. Kyle is becoming a mover and a shaker who sets the pace rather than reacting to the pace. Even a speed demon like Crystal Dangerfield has looked lost at times. So hang in there, girl!
For the most part I agree with all your observations and only want to note a chuckle of a thought you gave me- you realize that the NCAA Leading Rebounder is the 6'2" Chantel Osahor who maybe when she jumps you can slide a sheet of paper under her! Westbeld is only 6'1" and is no great leaper either, and as we know it's about positioning and desire! Despite my defense of KLS, she's 6'3" and very lithe compared to Kyla yet minimal rebounds so size is no determinant necessarily. Again it was a chuckle you gave me.

Reaction Score
While watching the FSU-ND game, I am watching Kathryn Westbeld and I see her lees than fluid movements but very solid and effective play and correlate how we have seen Kyla earn more time with her aggressive and evolving play. So am I wrong in seeing similar style of play of what Wesrbeld is and has been displaying and what Kyla looks to be in her potential with post moves, outside shooting and general defensive efforts. Anyone else seeing this or should I just keep putting Bailey's in my coffee?

DEF: Am a fan of Kyla since her PA days and continue to pull for her and enjoy watching her, but Bailey's IS good.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think Kyla is coming along fine........She's just a freshman. She's got time and will get a lot better over the summer and off season. She now knows what to
expect and will better prepared for her sophomore year.

Reaction Score
I like that Kyla's making good use of her playing time. She's not afraid to mix it up on the inside, has pretty good hands, and she does have a nice shot. The progress seems solid. In terms of next year, she sees a little bit of it every day in practice and she knows who's coming in. Will be interesting to watch Geno juggle his assets next year, but I don't want to open that can of worms.....I just want to watch as the next season evolves - when it arrives. Right now though, it's too much fun watching this group do their thing.

Reaction Score
Next class is far more credentialed than this one. Walker will demand time and inclusion. Bent is in danger of slipping to the end of the bench, particularly if Lou winds up at the 2. Stevens and Camara, Walker and Williams will challenge Kyla's minutes. Kyla must improve foot speed, and must either learn to jump or create space better. Her shots are too often challenged by players of lesser height. Both kids demonstrate basketball IQ, but so long as Geno schedules all the beasts, the stuff that worked against small suburban high schools will not be good enough. Dolson, Butler, Chong, Gabby all added dimension to their games after arriving at UConn. Bent and Irwin will either improve or transfer. Straight-line experience is not enough at the top-ten level.

Reaction Score
Next class is far more credentialed than this one. Walker will demand time and inclusion. Bent is in danger of slipping to the end of the bench, particularly if Lou winds up at the 2. Stevens and Camara, Walker and Williams will challenge Kyla's minutes. Kyla must improve foot speed, and must either learn to jump or create space better. Her shots are too often challenged by players of lesser height. Both kids demonstrate basketball IQ, but so long as Geno schedules all the beasts, the stuff that worked against small suburban high schools will not be good enough. Dolson, Butler, Chong, Gabby all added dimension to their games after arriving at UConn. Bent and Irwin will either improve or transfer. Straight-line experience is not enough at the top-ten level.

Thanks coach. Don't think Walker will "demand" anything. She'll earn it like everyone else. Ref Kyla, Dolson was nothing to write home about her freshman year. Finally, the line about improving or transferring is kind of silly. UConn has always had kids who were happy to make a contribution coming off the bench and maybe that's their role...who really knows. Next season is a long way away - like 8 or 9 months, so no-one knows who's gonna be in place. It's all silly speculation.

Reaction Score
If it makes your coffee taste better, and nobody's watching--------pull for Kyla, but she will have to make tremendous summer improvement to qualify for the minutes you suggest. If she becomes an enforcer, boxing out and getting put-backs, then she can protect the starters in foul trouble. It's tough for freshmen off the bench, not a lot of time to make a favorable impression, particularly if you are afraid of making mistakes. And the posters are right, if the starters don't trust her, she will be the last option.

Reaction Score
Irwin is so busy boxing out she forgets to rebound. She needs to think fast. Box out is good but rebound is more important.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure the comparison is a solid comparison--but the point is well taken. Westbled obviously is more experienced. I like what I have seen Kyla do in the last 2 games--her motions are more fluid, seems to know where she should be, and when to take the shot. My girl Molly, whom I thought would be first off the bench by now--seems to have regressed a bit. If only she'd do her patented drive, jump, shoot, score movement. She is doing pretty well on defense , she keeps her player in front of her and moves well on defense. At this point Kyla will get more time--and time is fading fast for those that don't get Geno's message.

Reaction Score
If it makes your coffee taste better, and nobody's watching-....-pull for Kyla, but she will have to make tremendous summer improvement to qualify for the minutes you suggest. If she becomes an enforcer, boxing out and getting put-backs, then she can protect the starters in foul trouble. It's tough for freshmen off the bench, not a lot of time to make a favorable impression, particularly if you are afraid of making mistakes. And the posters are right, if the starters don't trust her, she will be the last option.
Next year, if all the reports on the incoming Frosh and the two Transfer-in's are accurate--this year's bench will find it hard to break into the inner circle of PT. But often the reports about the incoming is a bit over the top--Walker, however, is the real deal.

Reaction Score
Good points. Thanks.

Just to clarify.

Coach--since this is not NEXT YEAR yet--everything is speculation--and allow me to speculate---if all the reports of Batouly, Azura, Walker, Gordon AEh are accurate--without major jumps in performance over the summer--and acknowledging that this years Core 4 will have preference in starting--the playing time for those not performing near the level of the Core, Azura, Batouly will be limited, I speculate--nothing said here is cast in stone--only Geno and Staff will make those for reasons probably different than mine.
To try to quantify playing time by numbers would require more than a crystal ball --but drilling a hole in Geno's head and allow the PT Gene's to escape, seems like a ego trip in fantasy--with no possible accurate results.

Reaction Score
Kyla has taken to heart Geno's instructions to 'do something' when you are given minutes - if you are open and it is a good shot, shoot it. Fight for rebounds. etc. The change happen about a month ago when she stopped ignoring the basket and started taking shots. She still has a long way to go, but it is an improvement over her tentativeness on the offensive end from the beginning of the season. I liked Geno's comment about her, that she is still learning what HS things she used to be able to do based on HS competition she can still do, and what things don't work against the better college competition.

I agree that she is better and more aggressive, but she isn't ready to start taking minutes away from Gabby or Napheesa, or from Natalie even.

Geno has stated that loudly and clearly often (the Highlighted above)--it give me significant pause to underdstand what took Kyla so long to catch on and why Molly, my best guess to be first off the bench, never has picked up the message!!

Reaction Score
Assuming no-one transfers, no-one quits, no-one gets injured.....which is assuming a lot. You just never know, so keep working at it Kyla.

It may never come true---but it is great to speculate that ALL Current and those coming will shall stay and work for Success.

Reaction Score
Irwin is so busy boxing out she forgets to rebound. She needs to think fast. Box out is good but rebound is more important.
It depends on the skill sets of the other players on the floor. The goal is for the Huskies (rather than any particular player) to get the rebound. If Kyla can occupy the other team'so best rebounder and in doing so free up a teammate to go for the ball, seems like a plus move to me.

Reaction Score
It depends on the skill sets of the other players on the floor. The goal is for the Huskies (rather than any particular player) to get the rebound. If Kyla can occupy the other team'so best rebounder and in doing so free up a teammate to go for the ball, seems like a plus move to me.

True in this case, but most cases I've seen, her legs stuck in the mud.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Not even close to true and if it was it can still being helpful like it was for Stef who did the same thing as a freshman and sophomore helping to create space for others to sweep the ball. Kyla's shot is already superior to Stef's as a freshman. Kyla, also, has excellent awareness awareness of the spread and positioning on defense. She switches well on screens and sets many of her own. It is hard to move her of her spot in the low post. She clearly is a coach's kid and understands the game and the coaches' instructions very well. She is more ready to give some minutes to stretch the bench against all but the best teams and probably might buy a minute or two against them.

Reaction Score
Thanks coach. Don't think Walker will "demand" anything. She'll earn it like everyone else. Ref Kyla, Dolson was nothing to write home about her freshman year. Finally, the line about improving or transferring is kind of silly. UConn has always had kids who were happy to make a contribution coming off the bench and maybe that's their role...who really knows. Next season is a long way away - like 8 or 9 months, so no-one knows who's gonna be in place. It's all silly speculation.

Wow, how defensive. Of course I meant that Walker's GAME would demand attention...because she's so skilled. As to transfers, note that Englen, Marcie Glennie and Mykala Johnson (among others) left after it became clear that they would never be more than extended bench players. Unlike others who were walk-ons, these kids were big time recruits, who could possibly be key players on mid-major teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom