I see Kyla potential on display... | The Boneyard

I see Kyla potential on display...

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
While watching the FSU-ND game, I am watching Kathryn Westbeld and I see her lees than fluid movements but very solid and effective play and correlate how we have seen Kyla earn more time with her aggressive and evolving play. So am I wrong in seeing similar style of play of what Wesrbeld is and has been displaying and what Kyla looks to be in her potential with post moves, outside shooting and general defensive efforts. Anyone else seeing this or should I just keep putting Bailey's in my coffee?

Reaction Score
While watching the FSU-ND game, I am watching Kathryn Westbeld and I see her lees than fluid movements but very solid and effective play and correlate how we have seen Kyla earn more time with her aggressive and evolving play. So am I wrong in seeing similar style of play of what Wesrbeld is and has been displaying and what Kyla looks to be in her potential with post moves, outside shooting and general defensive efforts. Anyone else seeing this or should I just keep putting Bailey's in my coffee?

I thought this last game she seemed to look better than I remember in the past. I know several posters - maybe you as well- have remarked she started to play better weeks ago. I see ti now. I saw a rebound she looked like she made a decent fight for. But imo she can't be relied on the way Nat and Danger can. And next year she isn't going to beat out Camara. So with Stevens, Gabby, Collier, Camara and Nat -- how does she get the time? Can she play "3" minutes? Sure. Over 10? Nope.

But if she is 6th on the depth chart, what are you expecting of her? A poster thought recently "she played very well." Our definitions of "very well" are different. For all us- we have different expectations and what we define as "well" or "well enough."

Reaction Score
Kyla has looked much better recently. However, it's really difficult to gauge unless she gets into the game earlier w/the starters, and against the opponents starters in important situations. That said, I have noticed that players seem to bounce off of her. She seems solid physically. With a tremendous conditioning program in the offseason she could become a solid player. She seems to have outgrown thr fumbling and bumbling we saw early in the season.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
She needs more PT earlier in games. Get her the ball early and make her part of the offense. The PG controls who gets the ball and where so, she needs to demand it earlier in the set.
At the beginning of the year, I thought Kyla struggled with on the ball defense, outside shooting and getting outmuscled for rebounds. In my opinion, those have all improved. Judging solely on the reaction of her teammates, Kyla's biggest present obstacle presently is moving to the right spot on offense. One of Geno's big deals is trust. It does not seem like her teammates trust her as much as he would like.

Her patience has been tested this year. Can she continue to maintain that patience? Saniya's paid off. Will Kyla's?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, I've been noticing the same improvements in Kyla's game over the past few weeks. From all we hear she is a very hard worker. Her defense & rebounding has gotten better, and she is not afraid to shoot the ball.

Kyla has clearly moved ahead of Molly on the depth chart and Geno has given her a few prime time minutes in several recent games, indicating to me that she has gained some measure of trust from Geno.

Most important, she seems to be both confident and effective shooting the 3. That skill alone will insure that she gets minutes next year.

Reaction Score
I thought this last game she seemed to look better than I remember in the past. I know several posters - maybe you as well- have remarked she started to play better weeks ago. I see ti now. I saw a rebound she looked like she made a decent fight for. But imo she can't be relied on the way Nat and Danger can. And next year she isn't going to beat out Camara. So with Stevens, Gabby, Collier, Camara and Nat -- how does she get the time? Can she play "3" minutes? Sure. Over 10? Nope.

But if she is 6th on the depth chart, what are you expecting of her? A poster thought recently "she played very well." Our definitions of "very well" are different. For all us- we have different expectations and what we define as "well" or "well enough."

What, no Kia in the starting 5 next year?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Kyla has taken to heart Geno's instructions to 'do something' when you are given minutes - if you are open and it is a good shot, shoot it. Fight for rebounds. etc. The change happen about a month ago when she stopped ignoring the basket and started taking shots. She still has a long way to go, but it is an improvement over her tentativeness on the offensive end from the beginning of the season. I liked Geno's comment about her, that she is still learning what HS things she used to be able to do based on HS competition she can still do, and what things don't work against the better college competition.

I agree that she is better and more aggressive, but she isn't ready to start taking minutes away from Gabby or Napheesa, or from Natalie even.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I've felt from the beginning that Kyla is very much a Westbeld type of player.
But UConn usually goes for more athletic types.
I note the improvement in Irwin's game; silky 3-point shot, gets free under the basket... also noting that she still doesn't rebound commensurate with her bulk.
I just wonder how much playing time will be available if everyone stays healthy.

Reaction Score
In the 2 preseason exhibition games, Kyla really rocked--to the point that many of us thought she'd get serious playing time going into the year, which, of course, sort of happened at the end of the first half of the Baylor game, but not otherwise. But yes, slowly, but surely she's working her way into a position in which, with Natalie now wearing a knee brace, she might be an important sub.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that at least twice now Kyla has substituted for Lou.
I've noticed that also, and it really makes sense. Unlike Nat, Kyla can shoot a 3 and can play away from the basket at least on offense. I don't think she can guard quick players on the perimeter, however -- in that respect, she isn't a substitute for Lou, even with Lou's limitations in that area. But while Natalie makes sense as a backup for Gabby or Napheesa, Kyla makes sense as a substitute for Lou -- a greater similarity of skills and role.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I do think there is room for Natalie, but greater upside for Kyla, next year. Kyla is still transforming her body into a Div. 1 UConn player BUT everything else is there whenever she choses to believe it and just catches up a little bit more on UConn's speed of play.

Reaction Score
She needs more PT earlier in games. Get her the ball early and make her part of the offense. The PG controls who gets the ball and where so, she needs to demand it earlier in the set.

So get her the ball more instead of Kia, Collier, Gabby and Lou?

Reaction Score
Kyla to my mind is a nascent badass. She doesn't seem to have the stigma of being too nice attributed to many bigs. I like that she plays fearless and is never afraid to shoot. I expect her to surpass Butler next year. Go Kyla.

I could not agree more with this post.

I feel like Kyla is going to make a nice jump from frosh to Soph. Don't fall into the same trap that the HS SR are going to come in and outshine the current freshman. I see Kyla willing to shoot, playing tough. I know Geno likes a small rotation but I'd like to see her get more minutes. I agree she has way more upside than butler. Butler is so limited. Team Kyla!!

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Thank so to all for the responses. I guess what I was observing was despite "sheer athleticism" that most of our starters show these past 5-6 years, Kyla is showing me a very strong and game potential along the lines of Westbeld. Not flashy, not silky smooth but logical, aggressive, hard-nosed and maybe even better offensively than Westbeld. I do think she still needs work on defense as she still seems too mechanical when watching the paint, the ball and the wing on where she may have to go. All that said, while most of us have seen Stevens and KNOW her skills to contribute next year, we do not know Camara's do the same degree. Hopefully Kyla and Molly can continue their evolution over the summer. I am going to be very curious how Geno works all the players in, that's a topic for after our journey this year ends in April.

Reaction Score
Thank so to all for the responses. I guess what I was observing was despite "sheer athleticism" that most of our starters show these past 5-6 years, Kyla is showing me a very strong and game potential along the lines of Westbeld. Not flashy, not silky smooth but logical, aggressive, hard-nosed and maybe even better offensively than Westbeld. I do think she still needs work on defense as she still seems too mechanical when watching the paint, the ball and the wing on where she may have to go. All that said, while most of us have seen Stevens and KNOW her skills to contribute next year, we do not know Camara's do the same degree. Hopefully Kyla and Molly can continue their evolution over the summer. I am going to be very curious how Geno works all the players in, that's a topic for after our journey this year ends in April.

How she competed while playing at Ky. I think we do. IMO you are offbase here.

Reaction Score
I've noticed that also, and it really makes sense. Unlike Nat, Kyla can shoot a 3 and can play away from the basket at least on offense. I don't think she can guard quick players on the perimeter, however -- in that respect, she isn't a substitute for Lou, even with Lou's limitations in that area. But while Natalie makes sense as a backup for Gabby or Napheesa, Kyla makes sense as a substitute for Lou -- a greater similarity of skills and role.

I really do not see a similarity to Lou, and Lou's perimeter defense is avg to above avg of late. She is second or third in steals and does well in making it hard for the opposition to pass the ball to the player she is defending. Because Kyla can shot A 3 does not make a similar skill or role to Lou either. Kyla seems more like a 4 who has some range apposed to a 2/3 (wing) that Lou is.... Lou also has a very good handle, mid-range jumper and quick slasher without ball.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
How she competed while playing at Ky. I think we do. IMO you are offbase here.
Thanks sincerely for the feedback, I did look at her Ky stats and they were 18 min per and 5.1. Pts. She had 14 starts and most impressive was 30 blocks in such limited time. My only partial caution is cracking UConn demands are a much higher BB IQ requirement so I hope you are right on what she can bring!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom