I saw Improvement. | The Boneyard

I saw Improvement.

Reaction Score
I saw improvement in our team last night vs SMU. They were crazy aggressive. They played excellent defense. They passed the ball crisply. Subs were solid when sprinkled in with starters. ONO was a "fly swatter". Sure there were some mistakes, some of the "WOW... did you see that!!!" Passes from Danger caught some by surprise. And the second unit was not great as a unit. But...I saw the first 5 plus 2 or 3 others at time sprinkled in to give starters a rest play a very good game, albeit against a weaker team. But this is improvement. It is giving the team confidence in what they can do, and returning them to the kind of team play they displayed vs ND. Now to build on this game going forward.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
In the first 5 minutes of the game, before UConn's defensive pressure picked up, it looked like an even game. SMU was double-teaming Napheesa in the high post, which is a compliment to her and the first time I have seen that done. It seemed to flummox the UConn half-court offense. But when it became apparent that SMU had no really capable ball handlers and could not handle an aggressive defense, the game became one-sided.

This is another instance (like South Florida) where the defensive pressure at the beginning of the game was not where it needed to be. It also suggests that if a team is not vulnerable to that particular defensive approach, UConn's ability to break the game open may be quite limited.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn is missing a Lobo Diana Tina Maya Stewie etc UConn has been blessed with multiple top 10 players and of course superstars who can take a game over. There have been years where UConn hasnt had the superstars and in some cases multiple superstars and HS AA's coming off the bench waiting in the wings. This year we dont. We have some AA's but we dont have the players who can takeover a game. We have 3 stars we also have players you dont have to guard, you can leave them open because there is no fear of them going off something we had in the past. So we need to recruit more top kids over the next few years to get back to where we were. What are the chances of getting a Stewie Mojeff and Tuck or a Diana and TASS. We were blessed with them. Reality is we are not ordinary we are better than that. We have a great team not firing on all cylinders right now. We will come around and hopefully soon. The LVille game will tell us alot about where we are and where were headed.

Reaction Score
I thought the passing was, mostly, as good as I’ve seen this year. I loved the defensive full court pressure. Hope we continue to do that. Takes advantage of Combs and Bent’s skills. Molly seems a bit like a Mel Thomas - without the shot. In other words, a scrapper. I think playing this type of game could define our team, while allowing, and forcing us, to use more players (including ONO). In my mind, that’s a good thing.

Reaction Score
UConn is missing a Lobo Diana Tina Maya Stewie etc UConn has been blessed with multiple top 10 players and of course superstars who can take a game over. There have been years where UConn hasnt had the superstars and in some cases multiple superstars and HS AA's coming off the bench waiting in the wings. This year we dont. We have some AA's but we dont have the players who can takeover a game. We have 3 stars we also have players you dont have to guard, you can leave them open because there is no fear of them going off something we had in the past. So we need to recruit more top kids over the next few years to get back to where we were. What are the chances of getting a Stewie Mojeff and Tuck or a Diana and TASS. We were blessed with them. Reality is we are not ordinary we are better than that. We have a great team not firing on all cylinders right now. We will come around and hopefully soon. The LVille game will tell us alot about where we are and where were headed.
We could end up with 2 of the top 5 scorers in Uconn history on the same team. If that doesn't qualify as having the ability to "take over a game" I'm not sure what does. We've seen both of them score 40 & 39. Lou went 10-10 from 3 one game. Will you ever clear out everyone and let them go 1 on 1? No, but that's not their game. If they get touches in the right spots though, they've both shown that ability to score at will. Neither are Maya, Stewie or Diana but together they are the top in college basketball.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Certainly zero improvement from the bench. Five players, 53 minutes, 5 points scored in an 8 point quarter against a seriously over matched opponent. They shot .20% (2-10) and were 0-5 from outside. That could be a problem if any of the starters gets in foul trouble or gets injured.

Of course it's not a problem for the McFerrin fans.

Reaction Score
You are of course nearly correct---no superstars. However, 4 players have taken over games to my knowledge, CW, Walker, Napheesa, KLS, I'll throw in Danger for good luck. But for certain Coombs, Molly, Irwin, Bent have not. Now you'll notice I didn't place Oliva in either category. Because she has changed the ND game, The SMU Game and others this feeble mind won't pull up. She, like CW, MW, has the potential to be a superstar before she and they graduate. Hold it ain't over yet.

Reaction Score
I saw improvement in our team last night vs SMU. They were crazy aggressive. They played excellent defense. They passed the ball crisply. Subs were solid when sprinkled in with starters. ONO was a "fly swatter". Sure there were some mistakes, some of the "WOW... did you see that!!!" Passes from Danger caught some by surprise. And the second unit was not great as a unit. But...I saw the first 5 plus 2 or 3 others at time sprinkled in to give starters a rest play a very good game, albeit against a weaker team. But this is improvement. It is giving the team confidence in what they can do, and returning them to the kind of team play they displayed vs ND. Now to build on this game going forward.

What I like was SMU had height and Uconn was able to take advantage of that height. No they are not Baylor or ND, and their record doesn't place them in the top20 so it is not the same. It was, however, a viable test of bench and semi bench players. When I see Coombs and ONO playing pretty good for long stretches--I'm very happy.
Those who say Louisville will be the true test--sorry, it is a test, no doubt but how good of a test will be more properly evaluated in March. Remember Stewie, games were tough because she had not become STEWIE as of yet, the FF looked bleak, Then Sweet 16, Elite 8, FF, NC--she blew the competition away--the team played up to her leadership. CW has that kind of talent and don't disregard Megan Walker or Danger or KLS or Napheesa--I don't need a FF or an NC to love this team--but I'll take it if it happens..

Reaction Score
The entire bench has shown itself to be able to, depending on the opponent, fit into the starting five, one or two at a time, and contribute.

They know that, the starters and the coaches know that now.

Geno has said that they all do much better in practice than in the games. They just need to calm down. There is the rest of the season to give them the game play to be able to do that.

Kelly Faris once said that it was a good feeling to be able to take a few minutes rest, confident that the subs would do OK.

Clearly the starting five will play most of the minutes in the final games; but, the bench would be really significant in winning the championship, if they could give the starters a few minutes rest here and there; and. even provide additional height, fresh legs on defense and a few points.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom