I really believe we should reach out to Randy Edsall | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I really believe we should reach out to Randy Edsall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Did you go to those games? Do yourself a favor and quit while you can...

Uh, I went to those Edsall games. I generally left the stadium a lot happier than I did yesterday, and after Syracuse, and after Maine, and after Navy (took the road trip).

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
How many remember the first few years that Edsall was here? He didn't have a moment that could compare to Diaco knocking Houston off in year two until his third year here and that was a loss to Boston College.

What those who want Diaco's head are looking for is someone who can immediately turn this around. Edsall is not that guy.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
PSU didn't do much offensively last night.

True, but they are 5-2 with a top2 victory the year after they lost their starting QB to the NFL. That's probably worth more money than we are willing to put up.

Having said that; yes, we should definitely try to get him...

Reaction Score
Uh, I went to those Edsall games. I generally left the stadium a lot happier than I did yesterday, and after Syracuse, and after Maine, and after Navy (took the road trip).
I did too...and I also have good friends who played at UConn with a few guys who were on Edsall's staff. I thought Edsall ran a boring run oriented offense and got the kids to play with a chip on their shoulder. His teams were well prepared and I think caught a fair amount of teams off guard. I also went to games like Michigan and WVU where we got killed and it was frustrating as hell...watched him not be able to beat Shady and RU when he needed to. I'll bet you conveniently forgot those games though

Reaction Score
Not saying RE was an offensive genius by any stretch, but think he was a lot better than others give him credit for. For starters, I believe he deserves at least some credit for the strong offensive line play that gave him the balls to go for it on fourth-and-1 at his own 20 against Pitt.
A LOT better...are you kidding me! His offense against Wake Forest in the Meineke Car Care Bowl was beyond embarrassing on the national stage. Same with the first half against Buffalo in the All American game Bowl in Toronto. His offense was boring and he couldn't recruit a QB to save his life (he almost botched the recruitment of Dan O...but thanks to 2 members of his staff who doubled back to the house he chose UConn)...gee kind of like the guy who you want him to replace.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Edsall had something he wouldn't have now. A BCS autobid. As much as I respect his contribution, bringing him back would be an admission of defeat.

I expect our SEC AD to be able to find us a better coach. Charlie Strong will be available and unlikely to get another P5 job. I'd also take Major Applewhite but we probably couldn't get him.

Right now, Diaco will still be the coach next season in a win or get fired situation. The coaching staff lost yesterday. The players mostly executed well and didn't make mistakes. We got what the coaches drew up, which was a lot of bad situational play calling and a very exploitable defensive scheme. We could find 11 boneyarders and get at least 6 yards on that quick sideline pass.

BC is now a must win for Bob, regardless of what else happens. He will lose any fan support he has left if we lose that game.

Reaction Score
A LOT better...are you kidding me! His offense against Wake Forest in the Meineke Car Care Bowl was beyond embarrassing on the national stage. Same with the first half against Buffalo in the All American game Bowl in Toronto. His offense was boring and he couldn't recruit a QB to save his life (he almost botched the recruitment of Dan O...but thanks to 2 members of his staff who doubled back to the house he chose UConn)...gee kind of like the guy who you want him to replace.

I'll put you down in the Edsall undecided camp. He won ugly. I get it. But he freaking won. Just to be clear, check my post above. I think it's a bad idea to bring him back.

Reaction Score
I'll put you down in the Edsall undecided camp. He won ugly. I get it. But he freaking won. Just to be clear, check my post above. I think it's a bad idea to bring him back.
I liked Edsall...but thought that it was time for him to move on. He should have done it like a man but that is for another day.

Reaction Score
I liked Edsall...but thought that it was time for him to move on. He should have done it like a man but that is for another day.

Hathaway deserves as much blame as Edsall for the ugly departure. Best fallout of Edsall's departure was it led to Hathaway's.

Reaction Score
Hiring a guy who flamed out at his last job? we tried that already. we also tried the hot shot defensive coordinator.

Just let the next Coach be an offensive guy. Can't take another guy that talks about keeping scoring down as exciting.

Reaction Score
Hathaway deserves as much blame as Edsall for the ugly departure. Best fallout of Edsall's departure was it led to Hathaway's.
Edsall still had come to the point where it was time for him to move on. He got testy at any hint of criticism of his game plans...took shots at us..the fan base basically saying that we should just show up and cheer because we don't know about football. As for Hathaway...a complete incompetent moron who along with help from Austin and Hogan who enabled him...single handedly ruined UConn athletics!

Reaction Score
LOL, this thread may be about the most moronic I have ever read on this board. I'm serious, it's that bad!

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Edsall was great for us and he built the program to a level of sustained success; bowl games, beating teams like ND, South Car., WVU, winning a pair of Big East Championships, and developing a bunch of players to the NFL.

But there is no way whatsoever that he could or should be brought back. That's just the reality, and I'm sure Randy would agree with that as well...
I'm seeing the death spiral starting with Diaco, and Edsall is not the answer in anyway. We just needed a coach with a good track record and experience not green coach who's a D coordinator at best and doin OJT

Reaction Score
Yeah you go back and re-live the Edsall days...I will as well...and remember a offense so feeble in Toronto and Charlotte in Bowl games that it was an embarrassment! That time has come and gone...just like you should do now!

UConn won in Toronto , lost in Charlotte.

Reaction Score
Hiring a guy who flamed out at his last job? we tried that already. we also tried the hot shot defensive coordinator.

Just let the next Coach be an offensive guy. Can't take another guy that talks about keeping scoring down as exciting.

Or at least bring in a guy that understands ground and pound is all but eliminated for college and is able to hire an actual OC with a mentality from this century

Reaction Score
UConn won in Toronto , lost in Charlotte.
Yeah I know...I was at both games...I also remember watching a putrid offensive performance in the first half in Toronto. Edsall wasn't Mike Leach offensively. He won games with ball control and defense...gee..kind of like what Diaco talks about doing.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I was thinking about Weist but remembered he went 3-5 as interim.
It was actually pretty impressive considering how awful things were at that point.

That said... at the time... I think hiring him would have been viewed as a small time move.

But I do like him quite a bit and think he'll make a great head coach somewhere.

Reaction Score
Or at least bring in a guy that understands ground and pound is all but eliminated for college and is able to hire an actual OC with a mentality from this century

Somebody needs to let Nick Saban know that "ground and pound" is, for all practical purposes, dead. They should also let him know, winning National Championships that way is so last century.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom