I need Cape Cod vacation advice | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I need Cape Cod vacation advice

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They lost a lot of property this winter. Didn’t get to the building, but close.

Whole parking lot gone I believe. The outer cape really got hammered with those back to back to back storms.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you go to Wellfleet how can you skip the drive in theater? There aren't many left in the country. CAHUSKY can take his girlfriend on a romantic night out at the drive in theater. Maybe he'll even get lucky.

Drive-In Theatre

The drive-in is crap. Might be okay for you, though.

We love the Cape too. Have been several times with kids to the South Yarmouth/Dennis area. Ever eat at Skippers? They have delicious fried clam chowder cakes.

A friend recently recommended Hampton Beach in New Hampshire. Ever been?

Hampton Beach is crap. Might be okay for you, though.

Whole parking lot gone I believe. The outer cape really got hammered with those back to back to back storms.

The Beachcomber is crap. It’s going to re-open in a few weeks, though. Might be okay for you. The ocean did eat Liam’s at Nauset Beach - it’s gone.

But that’s all right because Liam’s was crap.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Thanks everyone for all the great info. Definitely gives me a lot to think about!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Thanks everyone for all the great info. Definitely gives me a lot to think about!

Actually, the info was largely crap.

There were four useful posts. The rest was ill-informed crap.

Reaction Score
Love Maine as well, but water N of the Cape is COLD - great on a 100 degree day, but you'll definitely shrink the canootskis if you fall in.
The shock would probably kill me.

Reaction Score
I think they lost part of the lot on the ocean side. I check Cape Cod Times on-line now and then. Especially after big storms. They usually have good pictures.

Reaction Score

The Beachcomber is crap. It’s going to re-open in a few weeks, though. Might be okay for you. The ocean did eat Liam’s at Nauset Beach - it’s gone.

The drive-in has a flea market 3-4 days during the week in summer. Lots of crap there.

Reaction Score

I sometimes enjoy crap.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was being polite.

My assumption was that you wouldn't have beach chairs, coolers, towels and all the crap most of us tote to the Cape. So the Seacrest would work well. I've enjoyed staying in Brewster and Dennis (bay side), which is very quaint, but still close to activities, and has some nice beaches (if shallow).

I also find the stretch of the Cape on the arm to be pretty boring. The dunes are beautiful, and P-Town is a fun day trip, but the traffic up there is bad because there is one road in or out. The water is frigid. I like making a day trip to that part of the Cape, but not staying there.

It should be obvious that we all have different priorities and approaches when we go.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
We ended up booking this place in South Chatham. Seems to be centrally located, has great views and looks like what I expected I’d stay in during a cape cod vacation.
Hotels in Chatham MA | Chatham Tides Hotel

Ended up being more than I wanted to spend but I guess that’s what you get coming right before 4th of July. Bar, restaurant and site seeing suggestions are still being accepted and are appreciated.

Reaction Score
Love Maine as well, but water N of the Cape is COLD - great on a 100 degree day, but you'll definitely shrink the canootskis if you fall in.

It's cold around Provincetown, but the water around, say, Plum Island is not cold at all in midsummer.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What makes you say that?
Madison being ranked 15th best beach on the east coast is crap.

First, it's not remotely true; second, it will nonetheless bring more annoying tourists to screw up my summer.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We ended up booking this place in South Chatham. Seems to be centrally located, has great views and looks like what I expected I’d stay in during a cape cod vacation.

Ended up being more than I wanted to spend but I guess that’s what you get coming right before 4th of July. Bar, restaurant and site seeing suggestions are still being accepted and are appreciated.

Let's see. Deep sea fishing, whale watches, bicycling, are the big things beyond eating, drinking, and the beach.

Reaction Score

Day trip to one of the islands (Vineyard is easiest, maybe best for a day trip ... rent bikes at Oaks Bluff and make your way to Edgartown for a late lunch... stop at south beach on the way... if you are a Jaws fan you will recognize quite a bit of that journey)

Go to Wellfleet Harbor, charter a boat ( or there are tons of boaters who will take you out if you give them a little coin ) for an afternoon in the harbor

Drive up / day trip to Provincetown... pay attention to the vast dunes on the ride up through Truro and North

Cape cod league baseball game ... I think the most charming venue is in Orleans, but you need to see which team has games that fit your schedule .... the games generally start in the early evening

Impudent Oyster in downtown Chatham for dinner, at least once

Have fun!

Reaction Score
Madison being ranked 15th best beach on the east coast is crap.

First, it's not remotely true; second, it will nonetheless bring more annoying tourists to screw up my summer.
Tiny Nantucket has 15 beaches better than that thing in Madison.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As well as being refreshingly free of crabby Madisonians.
Calhoun doesn't go to the beach--except for the one in front of his house, which you can't go to anyway.

PS: It's Madisonite. And stay off my beach.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Impudent Oyster in downtown Chatham for dinner, at least once

The rest of your ideas are probably crap. I don't know, I barely read them.

But good god, you nailed it with the Impudent Oyster. One of our favorite restaurants. It's not crap.

He'd have to make reservations, like, now, though.

There's also a nice place for happy hour, but I can't remember the name - Blue something or other.

The food is crap, but the outdoor deck is set back off of Main Street. It tends not to be as crowded as the bars on Main.

Reaction Score
But good god, you nailed it with the Impudent Oyster. One of our favorite restaurants. It's not crap.
O.K. now you're just using my crap suggestions. Be original with your crap.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom