I love this team but... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I love this team but...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Sorry but I grew up on real UConn teams. I loved the Kemba team.... I loved the Bazz team...I loved the Okafor Team.. I loved the Ray Allen and Donyell Marshall Teams.

What the hell is there to love about this team? That even though they lose they do it playing really really hard? Should we just ignore the terrible turn overs, the massive shooting droughts, the stupid fouls and inability to hit a layup because they play really really hard?

Maybe you should go watch the NBA then

Reaction Score
Sorry but I grew up on real UConn teams. I loved the Kemba team.... I loved the Bazz team...I loved the Okafor Team.. I loved the Ray Allen and Donyell Marshall Teams.

What the hell is there to love about this team? That even though they lose they do it playing really really hard? Should we just ignore the terrible turn overs, the massive shooting droughts, the stupid fouls and inability to hit a layup because they play really really hard?
Then don’t watch the games. Any real fan can see the positives that this team is playing hard, keeping itself in every game when they are incredibly short-handed after being ravaged by injuries, and the freshmen are improving and maturing right before our eyes. Reinforcements are on the way next year and even with the injuries, UConn will be back. If you don’t love this year’s team, then don’t watch. Maybe you’ll be happier next November.

Reaction Score
We need Adams & Gaffney to be just a tad better from three point range. If they can somehow improve just a little I think we become a serious threat to win the AAC. They should also eat up whatever minutes Gilbert has left. He can't play anymore unfortunately. He's done.
Well it’s tough to play 50 minutes but if you think they can do it by all means sit Gilbert.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

This is a.real UConn team. How are your cowboys doing?

Reaction Score
I love this team, however I only feel really good about Bouk, Gaff, Whaley for next year. I assume Cole and Jackson will be good so hopefully that's 5 we can count on. I don't know what to expect from JC, BA, Sid anymore with their wild inconsistent play....they aren't freshman but play like they are.

I hope we get Polley back and Springs / Javonte are useful but with Akok likely out my year 1 back in BE expectations have been tempered a bit. We need a couple of knock down shooters to survive the BE so we better have them or be looking hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: pj
Reaction Score

I don't have any interest in taking the time to confirm this, but I'd be willing to bet that when the "Kemba team" was 9-9 in the Big East at the end of the season you were just as obnoxious as you are now.

Reaction Score

Thanks for showing up when we lose. Feel free to disappear forever

Reaction Score
They’re making me have to take ulcer meds again!

Gutwrenching loss. Temple should have finished us in regulation, but we don’t give up...can’t believe we got it to an OT.

They hit an off balance 3 to send it to 2nd OT...CV gets a decent look but can’t get it to drop...can we catch a break on one of these sequences for once?

I thought we could have put the dagger in them getting up 4 early in 2OT. With chances for more...Bouk missed the short jumper, Adams good look at a 3 Doesn’t go down. One of those drops and I think we run away with it.

Oh well. Amazing game from Whaley, and another nice step forward overall from Gaff. On to the next acid-inducer!
Turning point was in ot when bouk was wide open top of key but Adams for some reason took the shot and bricked it. Love bouk but wish he wouldn’t pass up those open threes. Especially when Badams and Gaffney couldn’t hit broad side of a barn. Also, cud whalley be my new fave player?

Reaction Score
All I can say is if you can't see the improvement by watching the games then compare this team to last year. A team that lost to Villanova by 23 and then a 16 point blowout loss to Temple followed by another 7 point loss to Temple.

This team is head over heels better than last year. We need to stop getting our panties in a twist and see the 14-12 record for what it is. Just like Hurley, just like the fans packing the stands, and just like the Top 100 recruits that Hurley is getting.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

im pretty sure that you would be amazed at the power of compound interest.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

They do all you say they do.
I wish they did more well.
I see what you see.
I love this team.

I wish that they'd won tonight's game.
I'm sad about another close loss.
I'll watch 'em again on Sunday.
They're the team I root for.

I watched all the teams that you mentioned.
Plus many others earlier & over the years.
Many-to-most I loved, but not all of them.
"Year two of a rebuild" works for me.
Maybe consider that point of view.

Reaction Score

What's to love? That they've had every possible thing go against them, 2 of their starters had devastating injuries, a couple of players have struggled monumentally, they have 7 healthy players and instead of hanging their heads and quitting/taking the easy way out they've galvanized and become more of a team. This is the type of stuff that creates future success. If you don't love that, if you don't love how Whaley has turned himself into a legit power forward then this maybe isn't for you.

When we get great again and it will happen, what these guys have done this season will be a major part of it.

Reaction Score
Calhoun's teams would win these types of games in his sleep. How much longer do we have to wait??

Reaction Score
What's to love? That they've had every possible thing go against them, 2 of their starters had devastating injuries, a couple of players have struggled monumentally, they have 7 healthy players and instead of hanging their heads and quitting/taking the easy way out they've galvanized and become more of a team. This is the type of stuff that creates future success. If you don't love that, if you don't love how Whaley has turned himself into a legit power forward then this maybe isn't for you.

When we get great again and it will happen, what these guys have done this season will be a major part of it.
I agree with all of this and that we'll be good again just feel for CV that he likely won't be able to experience the success, hopefully Whaley and company do.

Also we shouldn't expect to be more than a bubble team next year, the roster still has needs...it will take time to emerge from the abyss we were in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Calhoun's teams would win these types of games in his sleep. How much longer do we have to wait??
Most of the players on those teams could be counted on to make shots when they needed to score. Sadly, this team does not have at least one money shooter to count on making the pressure shots.

Reaction Score
too may injuries, and gilbert is another casualty

health is everything

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
THIS YEAR'S TEAM:
Until nobody takes a 3-point shot near game's end with the team in the lead.
Until there aren't spells when multiple soft or lazy passes aren't called to a halt sooner.
Until there's a fuller roster of healthy scholarship players.

IN LINE WITH HISTORICAL UCONN TEAMS:
Until defensive stops turn off the other team's point flow and prevent the other team from catching up near game's end with the team in the lead. (You've probably noticed some improvement here)
Until free throws preserve or extend the lead that isn't given up. (You've probably noticed marked improvement here)

Now you know.
Keep rooting for them to grow.

Reaction Score
I love this team, however I only feel really good about Bouk, Gaff, Whaley for next year. I assume Cole and Jackson will be good so hopefully that's 5 we can count on. I don't know what to expect from JC, BA, Sid anymore with their wild inconsistent play....they aren't freshman but play like they are.

I hope we get Polley back and Springs / Javonte are useful but with Akok likely out my year 1 back in BE expectations have been tempered a bit. We need a couple of knock down shooters to survive the BE so we better have them or be looking hard.
This is pretty much how I feel. Though I’m still pretty hopeful for SW. He’s so athletic that if Hurley can just get through to him and he puts in work over the summer he can really explode next year. He continues to put on muscle he can be a very solid 4 for us.

Josh Carlton on the other hand, I can’t take it anymore. He is just soft and slow and if he was just a better stronger player we wouldn’t need to be recruiting over him for a tougher meaner interior player but here we are.

BA will continue to be a really solid backup guard and continue to improve as well. Not worried about him. Strong tough kid and puts in the work

Reaction Score

Let's take this strait up @Forte ;)
You grew up a spoiled basketball brat. Never did your homework to see how much you should have appreciated what you had. By this I mean what was before the teams you mention. You make no mention of the Yankee Conference teams or The Big East cellar dwellers before JC. For years / decades us UConn fans dreamed of the top 25 or relevancy only to be shunned year in year out.

Along came Jim, it was not pretty right away but the rest is history. Anyone who can't see what Dan is doing with what he has to work with and does not think it is special needs a time out.
Do some homework, there is a lot to like about this team as they are playing really hard and as underdogs never giving up. The future is brighter than in some time and sad to say schools will soon be looking to poach our coach. All because of what there is to love about this team. ;)

Reaction Score

This is what we call a low basketball IQ poster

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom