I Love Geno's Wit - Another Example | The Boneyard

I Love Geno's Wit - Another Example

Reaction Score
(from ESPN.com) Geno Auriemma, talking about Anna Makurat, who had 18 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 6 steals, 2 blocks, and 5 turnovers against Tulane:

"That's the kind of kid she is," Auriemma joked. "Some of our guys were open, she threw it to them. Some of their guys were open, she threw it to them. I think she had a great all around game for both teams. She was terrific."

He wore a mic on the sideline for a few minutes in the second half and it was a revelation to me. He's just as dry during games, though he was probably more relaxed than normal last night because it was a runaway game. He said Makurat, who missed a few shots early in the second half, is an immigrant, she doesn't have a green card, so she can only hit shots in the first half. He chided Crystal Dangerfield for an awkward drive, asking her when she was going to make a shot and was she saving made baskets for next year.

Great coach. Funny guy.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:eek: In these politically incorrect times we live in I was a bit nervous when Geno was going over that Green card reference while talking about Anna. I finally breathe a sigh of relief when Geno reminded us (or maybe it was Meg) that he was once a green card holder. Very funny guy-he has always been that way.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
:eek: In these politically incorrect times we live in I was a bit nervous when Geno was going over that Green card reference while talking about Anna. I finally breathe a sigh of relief when Geno reminded us (or maybe it was Meg) that he was once a green card holder. Very funny guy-he has always been that way.

and Geno has already commented on how good a sense of humor Anna has and has linked that sense of humor to a (Eastern?) European mindset where people take themselves a little less seriously than in the US. So much like Sveta I am sure.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Geno first practiced this particular shtick on the sidelines after the game. That he had a greencard took a while before he thought to say it and I think he realized he needed to say that to avoid PC waters. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
(from ESPN.com) Geno Auriemma, talking about Anna Makurat, who had 18 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 6 steals, 2 blocks, and 5 turnovers against Tulane:

"That's the kind of kid she is," Auriemma joked. "Some of our guys were open, she threw it to them. Some of their guys were open, she threw it to them. I think she had a great all around game for both teams. She was terrific."

He wore a mic on the sideline for a few minutes in the second half and it was a revelation to me. He's just as dry during games, though he was probably more relaxed than normal last night because it was a runaway game. He said Makurat, who missed a few shots early in the second half, is an immigrant, she doesn't have a green card, so she can only hit shots in the first half. He chided Crystal Dangerfield for an awkward drive, asking her when she was going to make a shot and was she saving made baskets for next year.

Great coach. Funny guy.

Geno must be mistaken regarding Anna passing the ball to "their guys", from Tulane post game thread, someone suggested "many" of Anna's TO's are not her fault but our players not being where she passes the ball. :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think this article which included a BY link and reference put it best;

"Geno seems like the kind of guy who'd speak his mind whether he was coaching the Olympic team, the national champion, working as a bartender, or working at Wal-Mart. It just so happens that his coaching ability makes him fairly bulletproof for as long as UConn and the state of Connecticut cares about women's basketball -- which hopefully will be forever."

Reaction Score
Geno must be mistaken regarding Anna passing the ball to "their guys", from Tulane post game thread, someone suggested "many" of Anna's TO's are not her fault but our players not being where she passes the ball. :rolleyes:
Anna was only upset when TO’s were her fault and she will learn from those. Bottom line: 18 points, 5 rebounds, five assists, two blocks, six steals. Do that consistently and they call you All American.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno is king of hyperbole. One bad pass = many, in Geno-ese

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Anna was only upset when TO’s were her fault and she will learn from those. Bottom line: 18 points, 5 rebounds, five assists, two blocks, six steals. Do that consistently and they call you All American.
Anna's case should be All World. ;)

Reaction Score
Playing well against Tulane doesn't make one all world all american or all Poland

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Playing well against Tulane doesn't make one all world all american or all Poland

Well, considering Anna would have been playing with the Polish senior national team this fall if she weren't at UConn, I would say she's, at the very least, All Poland.

And if your Polish isn't what it used to be...

Reaction Score
Guess Geno coached a better game

Reaction Score
Geno's is very funny at times. His humor though, can turn sarcasm when things haven't gone his way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom