I love Big 12 football. | The Boneyard

I love Big 12 football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really do. High scoring, big plays, big hits. Everyone always said they would be over matched in the SEC. I think Texas A&M and Mizzou sort of dispelled that myth. Say what you want, it's exciting.

Reaction Score
I've been watching the West V / Okla game all night, great football! It's sad we may never see big games like those in Morgantown ever again.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's just awesome.

And when this is over, we can see Oregon against Washington State where 'n over/under is 80!

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
It's not for me. I prefer my offense to be stagnant and unimaginative. 3 runs and punt. Now that's what gets my blood pumping.

new_dooley_logo_small.jpg

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, it seems UConn can only focus on getting in one conference at a time; now that we realize too much bad blood with ACC the focus is Big Ten. I recently read an article that the Big 12 is most likely to expand of the major conferences - wish we would focus there. With KS OSU and TX - add UConn - not a bad basketball conference. OK and WV would be decent games as well. Travel sucks for all conferences - let's get it done Warde and yesterday.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, it seems UConn can only focus on getting in one conference at a time; now that we realize too much bad blood with ACC the focus is Big Ten. I recently read an article that the Big 12 is most likely to expand of the major conferences - wish we would focus there. With KS OSU and TX - add UConn - not a bad basketball conference. OK and WV would be decent games as well. Travel sucks for all conferences - let's get it done Warde and yesterday.

If Fox is bankrolling their presumed expansion we should get consideration. Fox owns the YES network and we want to play at Yankee stadium more often, plus they need to improve their basketball stock. They could add BYU for football and UCONN for basketball and have the first coast to coast conference (almost anyway).

Reaction Score
They could add BYU, Cincy, ECU and Us. Bring em up to 14, Improve football and basketball, and ensure survival should Texas/Oklahoma bolt at some point. If only our football product wasn't so putrid at the moment that might be palatable to them.

Reaction Score
They could add BYU, Cincy, ECU and Us. Bring em up to 14, Improve football and basketball, and ensure survival should Texas/Oklahoma bolt at some point. If only our football product wasn't so putrid at the moment that might be palatable to them.
I don't see an expansion for that conference where Cincy, BYU, and UCF aren't ahead of us (maybe USF as well) for FB and geography reasons.

I think ECU has had a solid FB program for years. Not sure their AD is the size it needs to be for a P5 conference. Honestly, not sure why they were never considered for the Big East when Cincy, UofL, and USF were added. Probably a good thing. they'd be ahead of us by now as well. They could easily be the next Louisville if they follow that model.

Reaction Score
It's so funny how things change. The Big 12 used to be all option, all the time back in the old days. Now if you blink, you miss a touchdown.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This reply is probably best served on the CR board, but I'll add my 2 cents here nonetheless.

I think that the B12's interest in UCONN is minimal, at best.

First of all, for whatever reason, they seem content on staying at ten and trying to convince people that their model is the best way to determine a true football champion (until there is a 2-way or, gasp, 3-way tie), even if it costs them millions of dollars by not having a Championship Game. For them to expand, they would need to bring immediate competitive football (BYU, Cincinnati, UCF, ECU fit the bill).

Second, I don't think the B12 cares too much about hoops. They pin all of their conference hopes on Kansas year in and year out and seem happy with being disappointed in the tourney every season. Sure, other programs have an occasional good year every now and again but never seem to advance past the Sweet 16 in most years. And look at their last 2 additions: WVU and TCU. WVU has an average, at best, hoops program and TCU is garbage.

Third, I don't think the B12 cares about markets and/or northeast markets whatsoever. The writing is on the wall: the B12 is not looking to create a conference network. They are the odd duck of the P5 model in that they don't want a Championship Game or a Network and, because of that, they want to keep membership low so that there are less mouths to feed (and everyone gets a bigger slice of their revenue pie). There are far too many Texas-based schools for them to give a hoot about NYC ("New York City??") or any large northeast market. Texas thinks very highly of itself (I'm talking about the state) and Texans prefer to keep their NYC association at a minimum. If you don't have a network (and don't plan on ever having one), then you don't need to expand based on markets.

The B12 can suddenly reverse its stance if, say, a 1 loss OU is shut out of the 4-team playoff (they likely would be, in that scenario). But that's the ONLY way I vision the B12 expanding and if that were to happen, they would look at football prestige only...not markets, hoops, hockey, academics or anything else. UCONN football is in a down cycle with dwindling attendance. That eliminates us immediately from consideration.

If the B12 expands, I think they would like to give WVU some travel buddies. Cincinnati and ECU would fit in nicely there. UCF and even USF would give the B12 some recruiting exposure into Florida and allow schools like Texas and OU to recruit against the SEC and ACC. BYU would bring immediate football prestige even if meant that a bunch of Texans would have to play nice with a religion that they can't wrap their heads around. If I had to rank the B12's expansion list, I'd say it would look something like this:

1. Cincinnati - good football, decent enough hoops, close to WVU
2. UCF - good football, FL football recruiting
3. BYU - good football tradition
4. USF - if paired with UCF, would provide a nice 1-2 in FL football recruiting
5. ECU - football crazed, good fanbase, close to WVU
6. Houston - they're in Texas so they automatically get consideration

7. UCONN - struggling football, weak football recruiting, weak fan support

Our best CR bets are still the B1G or ACC and always will be until the day ever comes that UCONN football can return to 7-9 win seasons and/or sell tickets. Our football program and fan support might be low enough right now that it has tacked on a few additional years of AAC purgatory (and allowed schools like ECU to leapfrog us on the CR food chain).

C

Chief00

We are blackballed in the ACC, they are not a better chance than Big 12.

Reaction Score

I like your thoughts of expansion with us included but Noey, don't we need to also focus that CR is about TV sets and exposure moreso. We bring
the Big 12 fabulous exposure in NYC with us, the possibility of several games a year in Yankee Stadium along with the Nations' BEST BB programs.....
We now have committed travel to Dallas, Houston, Tulane and Tulsa. BYU next year and great reviews from the Boise faithful.

Noey have faith in the football product. It will get there, quicker than you think....

Reaction Score
This reply is probably best served on the CR board, but I'll add my 2 cents here nonetheless.

I think that the B12's interest in UCONN is minimal, at best.

First of all, for whatever reason, they seem content on staying at ten and trying to convince people that their model is the best way to determine a true football champion (until there is a 2-way or, gasp, 3-way tie), even if it costs them millions of dollars by not having a Championship Game. For them to expand, they would need to bring immediate competitive football (BYU, Cincinnati, UCF, ECU fit the bill).

Second, I don't think the B12 cares too much about hoops. They pin all of their conference hopes on Kansas year in and year out and seem happy with being disappointed in the tourney every season. Sure, other programs have an occasional good year every now and again but never seem to advance past the Sweet 16 in most years. And look at their last 2 additions: WVU and TCU. WVU has an average, at best, hoops program and TCU is garbage.

Third, I don't think the B12 cares about markets and/or northeast markets whatsoever. The writing is on the wall: the B12 is not looking to create a conference network. They are the odd duck of the P5 model in that they don't want a Championship Game or a Network and, because of that, they want to keep membership low so that there are less mouths to feed (and everyone gets a bigger slice of their revenue pie). There are far too many Texas-based schools for them to give a hoot about NYC ("New York City??") or any large northeast market. Texas thinks very highly of itself (I'm talking about the state) and Texans prefer to keep their NYC association at a minimum. If you don't have a network (and don't plan on ever having one), then you don't need to expand based on markets.

The B12 can suddenly reverse its stance if, say, a 1 loss OU is shut out of the 4-team playoff (they likely would be, in that scenario). But that's the ONLY way I vision the B12 expanding and if that were to happen, they would look at football prestige only...not markets, hoops, hockey, academics or anything else. UCONN football is in a down cycle with dwindling attendance. That eliminates us immediately from consideration.

If the B12 expands, I think they would like to give WVU some travel buddies. Cincinnati and ECU would fit in nicely there. UCF and even USF would give the B12 some recruiting exposure into Florida and allow schools like Texas and OU to recruit against the SEC and ACC. BYU would bring immediate football prestige even if meant that a bunch of Texans would have to play nice with a religion that they can't wrap their heads around. If I had to rank the B12's expansion list, I'd say it would look something like this:

1. Cincinnati - good football, decent enough hoops, close to WVU
2. UCF - good football, FL football recruiting
3. BYU - good football tradition
4. USF - if paired with UCF, would provide a nice 1-2 in FL football recruiting
5. ECU - football crazed, good fanbase, close to WVU
6. Houston - they're in Texas so they automatically get consideration

7. UCONN - struggling football, weak football recruiting, weak fan support

Our best CR bets are still the B1G or ACC and always will be until the day ever comes that UCONN football can return to 7-9 win seasons and/or sell tickets. Our football program and fan support might be low enough right now that it has tacked on a few additional years of AAC purgatory (and allowed schools like ECU to leapfrog us on the CR food chain).

With regards to the football playoff and CR, you are right there Dooley--- might be more there than meets the eye....
Then national exposure becomes real KEY....
When a high ranked team in a P5 conf. gets shutoff from the playoff, watch the playoff go to eight teams. The pot is already stirring listening
to the SEC folks bitch on XM91.....

Dooley

Reaction Score
Holy , this TCU vs Baylor game is fun to watch. Ditto for Texas/OU and WVU/TT.

Reaction Score
Holy , this TCU vs Baylor game is fun to watch. Ditto for Texas/OU and WVU/TT.

Totally disagree. MSU/Auburn is much better. Baylor and TCU would get hammered by either MSU or Auburn.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Totally disagree. MSU/Auburn is much better. Baylor and TCU would get hammered by either MSU or Auburn.

I think we can both agree that the CFB world ain't seen nuttin' yet until we kick off in NOLA!

Reaction Score
58-51, 6 minutes left, 4 1/2 hour game.

I watched Miss St./Auburn,much better game.

I like to watch hard hits. Which don't exist in the B12.

Reaction Score
Agreed Dooley, tonight we start making the plays! Go Huskies!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If you like hard hitting, watch the UCF/BYU game. Those two brought the thunder.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Flat out choke by Patterson. He called 2 timeouts to come up with a sideline lob into coverage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom