I live in Buffalo. I like Buffalo. If you're coming, ask me questions, I'll answer. Food, drink, etc. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I live in Buffalo. I like Buffalo. If you're coming, ask me questions, I'll answer. Food, drink, etc.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i-80 in penn, worst run in the land? hardly.
try 1-5, dallas to galveston, aboot the same 300 mile distance, but in another league of 'don't do this.' literally, as it is one of the drives in the country where ur chance of being dedded is off the charts. and boring.
time to hit the beach while living in big d? nightmare.
time to get off the beach cuz a cane is coming while living in galveston?
good luck!
actually, as much as i luv Texas, driving anywhere distant there is nutz.
i mean, they describe driving distance in six-packs.
take the plane instead, and ur butt and nerves will thank you.

Reaction Score
Agreed, I like Buffalo itself; I just hate the drive.

Driving to Albany and taking the train is not bad, but I am a big fan of train travel. When I was in law school I would get a ton of work done on the train there and back.
just want to shout out this post! i was thinking of going to the game(s), but was dreading making the drive solo -- just bought a train ticket for $50 and i am incredibly excited.

i love buffalo! i love train travel! i love the huskies!!! can't wait.

Reaction Score
I've never been but I've only heard good things about Buffalo from people who actually spend time there. It seems it's the people who know nothing about it who rip on it.

My friends parents, who spent their entire adult lives in San Diego moved to Buffalo after their retirement around 5 years ago. It's certainly not the retirement move you would expect.
I mean, I don't like the cold, and it is not a city really, more a town, but I like it. Few times I've been in San Diego I've loved it, can't understand why my friends who work in La Jolla commute from southern parts of LA (i.e. Palos Verdes, OC).

Reaction Score
Talk about driving, I'd much rather drive these flat stretches than do what I did this past summer for a month. Drive 20 miles each day from Bucks County to downtown Philly. 1:20 minutes each way.

Reaction Score
.jpg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yep. Driving across Pennsylvania on I-80 is my least-favorite drive in the country.
I-80 in Wyoming is even worse, except fewer speed traps. The speed traps are what make PA so bad for me. When I crossed Wyoming we rarely dipped under 100. I-70 between Topeka and Denver is pretty awful. Eastern Colorado is ugly as sin.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It's crazy to think back to doing that drive solo in a broken down Saab with 130k on the odometer, no cell phone, and nothing but a log of dip and a pile of books on tape for company. I can remember checking in to some terrible motel in North Platte and hoping someone would break in the room and blow my brains out.
See. You get me. Are you on tinder?

Reaction Score
new mexico state fans lamenting on their board that airfare to buffalo is $600+

good!! stay home!!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
just want to shout out this post! i was thinking of going to the game(s), but was dreading making the drive solo -- just bought a train ticket for $50 and i am incredibly excited.

i love buffalo! i love train travel! i love the huskies!!! can't wait.
Awesome. I'm glad it helped someone. I'm jealous. There are a lot worse things than having five hours to chill, read, listen to music, stream video and/or work with no one bugging you.

Reaction Score
I've never been to another stadium where I see people peeing in the concourse. Maybe 1980s Foxboro?!?!
I was at the Patriots playoff game against Jacksonville in 2008. Maybe not the concourse but some guy was peeing in the corner in the bathroom instead of waiting for the urinal.

Reaction Score
Yep. Driving across Pennsylvania on I-80 is my least-favorite drive in the country.

that's the other one. Just did a CT to Michigan at the beginning of Covid because flying was banned by company at that early time. It exceeds the tedium of the NYS Thruway. But I'm just talking bad stuff on the East coast here. If we really want to dive into this subject I-80 through Iowa and Nebraska is bad enough that you start questioning whether life is actually worth living.
Done both drives numerous times. This past summer was working in Lackawanna(right outside Buffalo) then from there to Peoria, IL then to Harwich Port on the cape back to Peoria from there to St. Louis to Austin,tx to destin, fl and back to CT

81 is western Virginia is also a dreadful drive

August_West

Reaction Score
If that's round trip that's not bad. Bummer that it's not direct though; takes about the same time as the train at the end of the day, and costs a lot more.
round trip. one way under 100

Reaction Score
never seen so many bugs hit my windshield and front of my car until driving in western Nebraska/eastern Wyoming up to South Dakota from Denver a few summers ago.

Reaction Score
Done both drives numerous times. This past summer was working in Lackawanna(right outside Buffalo) then from there to Peoria, IL then to Harwich Port on the cape back to Peoria from there to St. Louis to Austin,tx to destin, fl and back to CT

81 is western Virginia is also a dreadful drive
Lackawanna: "Come for a visit, our ruins are new!!"

Reaction Score
I was at the Patriots playoff game against Jacksonville in 2008. Maybe not the concourse but some guy was peeing in the corner in the bathroom instead of waiting for the urinal.
I have a friend who went to her first Bills game last year. During the game she texted, "It's comforting going to a place and realizing you're not the worst person there, finally."

Reaction Score
It's crazy to think back to doing that drive solo in a broken down Saab with 130k on the odometer, no cell phone, and nothing but a log of dip and a pile of books on tape for company. I can remember checking in to some terrible motel in North Platte and hoping someone would break in the room and blow my brains out.
This reminds me of my only solo cross country trip back in 1995. Stayed in a motel in Kansas off I-70 but something like $16. The sign over the bed said "No smoking in bed, the ashes they find may be your own".

I never thought the drive to Buffalo was that bad. I drove multiple times for concerts. The most eventful was driving all night to Detroit to watch the UConn game in 1991 after taking an evening class in West Hartford. Icy conditions near Syracuse were anything but tedious.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
that's the other one. Just did a CT to Michigan at the beginning of Covid because flying was banned by company at that early time. It exceeds the tedium of the NYS Thruway. But I'm just talking bad stuff on the East coast here. If we really want to dive into this subject I-80 through Iowa and Nebraska is bad enough that you start questioning whether life is actually worth living.
I'm so used to I80 in PA it doesn't bother me anymore, but I don't typically get on it until Bellefonte, only 3 hours to NJ border from there.

The drive through Plains states is probably the main reason I've never driven cross-country.

Anyway, I'm debating one or two day trips. Can't stay Th-Sat due to other commitments. I've done same day drives to Toronto, and it's only 3.5-4 hrs each way. But that was 15 years ago when I could still hold off peeing.

August_West

Reaction Score
I'm so used to I80 in PA it doesn't bother me anymore, but I don't typically get on it until Bellefonte, only 3 hours to NJ border from there.

The drive through Plains states is probably the main reason I've never driven cross-country.

Anyway, I'm debating one or two day trips. Can't stay Th-Sat due to other commitments. I've done same day drives to Toronto, and it's only 3.5-4 hrs each way. But that was 15 years ago when I could still hold off peeing.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I have driven that stretch from Buffalo - East, and that stretch around Rochester and over, but most specifically after Syracuse, is the worst stretch of drive anywhere.
Had to go back to CT for a funeral a few years ago. I left Pgh knowing a winter storm was coming that was going to hit PA hard but was supposed to mostly stay south of NY. Forecasters got it wrong, as while I80 was closed in Poconos and other parts and PA Tpk was a disaster, the storm also hit southern NY. What was a 7.5 hr drive to CT became an 11.5 drive back to Pgh on NY17 and I-86. I'd done parts of I-86 near Corning and the Indian reservations before. They don't maintain that, seemingly at all. And in snow/slush, it's the worst stretch of road I've ever encountered. Far worse than any part of I90 I've driven.

Reaction Score
never seen so many bugs hit my windshield and front of my car until driving in western Nebraska/eastern Wyoming up to South Dakota from Denver a few summers ago.
Actually that’s a good thing. Is seems that due to all the single crop agriculture, both the variety, and number of insects are declining with all kind of resulting affects on the rest of the eco system.

Used to be no matter where you drove in the summer your windshield would be full of bugs. Now, not so much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom