I live in Buffalo. I like Buffalo. If you're coming, ask me questions, I'll answer. Food, drink, etc. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I live in Buffalo. I like Buffalo. If you're coming, ask me questions, I'll answer. Food, drink, etc.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Being a Pats fan in Buffalo is brutal now. I was at the playoff game and in the middle of Patriots fans, a big fight broke out, among Bills fans!! And it spilled over into the Patrs fans. I always thought that Buffalo fans liked to fight out of frustration, but now that they're on top--it's even worse than before.

I can't even begin to describe the level of degeneracy at bills games.

Now--I'm totally against $1 billion going to the Bills for a new stadium, just absolutely ridiculous, but I imagine they'll raise ticket prices and limit the amount of seats, which may cut down on the absolute crapshow a Bills game is.

OOOOF I forgot you're a Pats fan ...

There's tons of degenerates there, no question. But I think it gets a bit of a bad rap. Then again if you catch things on the right day or right time, you'd be hard pressed not to agree with your point. So I can't argue too much.

Reaction Score
I'm seeing 50s and 60s this weekend ... and Thursday is St. Patty's Day which rivals many across the US here... so I'd expect decent weather and a pretty intense downtown, actually. Not the norm, lol.
Forgot about this. Stay away from Buffalo, ugh

This will put a damper on a lot of things

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Forgot about this. Stay away from Buffalo, ugh

This will put a damper on a lot of things

Talking about degeneracy, the Bills crowd isn't even a fraction of the sheer insanity you'll encounter a few miles up the road during St. Patrick's Day with good weather. Don't allow anyone past Franklin/Tupper.

Reaction Score
OOOOF I forgot you're a Pats fan ...

There's tons of degenerates there, no question. But I think it gets a bit of a bad rap. Then again if you catch things on the right day or right time, you'd be hard pressed not to agree with your point. So I can't argue too much.
I've never been to another stadium where I see people peeing in the concourse. Maybe 1980s Foxboro?!?!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If we really want to dive into this subject I-80 through Iowa and Nebraska is bad enough that you start questioning whether life is actually worth living.
Done both of those, twice each way. By the time you get there you know what you're in for. PA is worse imo because it's always worse than you're expecting. On the way back you hit the PA border and you're like "Yeah, I'm almost home." Next think you know it's dark out and you're looking for a Knight's Inn.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Wing's in the city: Gabriel's Gate

Wings in the burbs: Duff's

Wing in East Aurora: Bar Bill
I live 5 minutes from there and almost no one I know goes there, and we all wonder why those people push it so much. But maybe I should try. I know about the hype, but those who have tried it have shrugged. Gabriel's Gate is still the best place in the city. None of these places are worth going out of the way for, as long as you go to one of them. South of the city it's either Duff's or Bar Bill. East is a Duff's location. In the city it's Gabriel's Gate.
Any opinion on Nine-Eleven Tavern?

It was closed on the day we were passing through en route to Niagara Falls, so ended up at southside Duff's, which was good not great.

Stopped at downtown Anchor on the way back to Seneca County. Better atmosphere, but again, not otherwise legendarily great.

My overall sense is that both Buffalo and Rochester have survived & right-sized over the past generation, benefitting additionally from milder winters.

Reaction Score
that's the other one. Just did a CT to Michigan at the beginning of Covid because flying was banned by company at that early time. It exceeds the tedium of the NYS Thruway. But I'm just talking bad stuff on the East coast here. If we really want to dive into this subject I-80 through Iowa and Nebraska is bad enough that you start questioning whether life is actually worth living.
When I moved from Boston to the Bay Area, I drove both of those stretches -- I-90 through NY and I-80 through the Plains.

The Thruway was tolerable mostly because we stopped a bunch to see people.

I-80 in Iowa and Nebraska was just sad. Fortunately, broke it up into two days -- Chicago to Lincoln, then Lincoln to Denver. Having Colorado to look forward to made it tolerable, but yikes that was desolate. And in January too.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Any opinion on Nine-Eleven Tavern?

It was closed on the day we were passing through en route to Niagara Falls, so ended up at southside Duff's, which was good not great.

Stopped at downtown Anchor on the way back to Seneca County. Better atmosphere, but again, not otherwise legendarily great.

My overall sense is that both Buffalo and Rochester have survived & right-sized over the past generation, benefitting additionally from milder winters.

I also have never eaten at 911 because it's a dive and I don't normally hang there so I usually get take out. But the word is it's super good.

I always do pizzerias honestly, but I'll say that Bar Bill (which now has a north location in Williamsville/Clarence) is consistently on point. I think Just Pizza and "The Now" In Hamburg are some of the best.

And Big Tree Inn, next to the Bills Stadium in Orchard Park, is not only a great spot to see some Bills legends some days but to me they're the best wings in town.

Reaction Score
I have driven that stretch from Buffalo - East, and that stretch around Rochester and over, but most specifically after Syracuse, is the worst stretch of drive anywhere.
I live in Rochester now (and formerly lived in Boston) and my wife's family is in Syracuse so I am very familiar with the Thruway in this area.

Between Albany and Syracuse there are some nice scenic stretches through hillier areas. Buffalo to Syracuse? Nope.

Reaction Score
Yep. Driving across Pennsylvania on I-80 is my least-favorite drive in the country.
I've made that drive probably 20 times between Chicago and CT., it's awful but the I-90 portion through Ohio/Indiana may be even worse. At least you have the mountains in Pennsylvania, it's not exactly The Rockies but at least it's something to look at besides the flat nothingness and cornfields of Ohio and Indiana.

The trip is just below the cutoff distance so I've done it nonstop every single time and there isn't even a place along the way you would want to stop for a night to break the trip up.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Agreed, I like Buffalo itself; I just hate the drive.

Driving to Albany and taking the train is not bad, but I am a big fan of train travel. When I was in law school I would get a ton of work done on the train there and back.
An hour longer, and I only draw from experience in the summer when it's a beautiful drive, but Rt 17/I-86 and I-390 northwest beats NYS Thruway.

Yep. Driving across Pennsylvania on I-80 is my least-favorite drive in the country.
"The state that never ends."

Reaction Score
Being a Pats fan in Buffalo is brutal now. I was at the playoff game and in the middle of Patriots fans, a big fight broke out, among Bills fans!! And it spilled over into the Patrs fans. I always thought that Buffalo fans liked to fight out of frustration, but now that they're on top--it's even worse than before.

I can't even begin to describe the level of degeneracy at bills games.

Now--I'm totally against $1 billion going to the Bills for a new stadium, just absolutely ridiculous, but I imagine they'll raise ticket prices and limit the amount of seats, which may cut down on the absolute crapshow a Bills game is.
Bills fans are fat, uneducated, alcoholic losers. And beef on weck is easily the most overrated disgusting sandwich in the entire northeast. If you've never had the pleasure, go make a roast beef sandwich on a hard roll, spritz it with a fine mist of water, then pour 2 cups of kosher salt over the top. Viola!

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I will throw in a recommendation for Resurgence Brewery downtown in the first ward, probably a mile or so from the arena.

Classmate and HS friend started it, awesome beers, GREAT spot to hang especially if the weather is decent. Check it out amongst the other breweries downtown.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I've made that drive probably 20 times between Chicago and CT., it's awful but the I-90 portion through Ohio/Indiana may be even worse. At least you have the mountains in Pennsylvania, it's not exactly The Rockies but at least it's something to look at besides the flat nothingness and cornfields of Ohio and Indiana.

The trip is just below the cutoff distance so I've done it nonstop every single time and there isn't even a place along the way you would want to stop for a night to break the trip up.
That’s true…. There are some scenic things on 80 in PA but it’s the length that gets you, Ohio and Indiana combined don’t equal that length.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Between Albany and Syracuse there are some nice scenic stretches through hillier areas. Buffalo to Syracuse? Nope.
That's for bicycling along the Erie Canal Trail.

OT a bit, but I wouldn't mind an updating/overview of Rochester akin to what @upstater offered re Buffalo.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
OK, here's my advice:

1. Realize, Buffalo has a subway system. If you're staying in downtown or uptown hotels, there's a high probability that you will be within easy walking distance of the subway. This is the ideal way to go to the arena since the last stop is the arena, right at the harbor's edge. The subway rises above ground for the last 6 stops of downtown (about 2 miles) and you can get on for free when it's above ground.

Downtown bars near the arena:

1. Southern Tier Brewery restaurant, has a massive TV, 2 tiered viewing seating, will likely be jampacked. It's connected to Harbourside which is connected to the arena, so if you can get a seat, it's a good sports bar brewery. I would avoid because of the unlikelihood of finding a seat.

2. Union Pub, a classic sports bar, probably the most popular one for those who attend Sabres games or Bisons games (AAA baseball).

3. Pearl Street Brewery is the oldest of the "new" Buffalo breweries, and not quite up to snuff like the others. Place is 20+ years old. But the food is decent, and again, feels like a sports bar.

4. SATO Brewpub, Asian food and beers.

5. There are nearby places like the Draft Room and Cobblestone and Ballyhoo, but I've never been to any of them for drinking. Ballyhoo has reasonably priced food, but you can do better.

Midtown bars & restaurants I'd recommend:

1. Lafayette Brewpub: they get most of their beer from Pearl Street, but it's a much better atmosphere than Pearl Street Brewery.

2. Misuta Chow's: it's a barcade type place that looks like a Japanese fast food open air alley food stall, but indoors.

3. Hatchets & Hops: yes, throwing hatchets.

4. Mohawk Place & Electric Avenue: dive bars. Both are good dive bars.

5. Tappo Restaurant: it's a bar really, lots of people drinking, but they also do dinner. Food is mediocre but good, if that makes any sense. Reasonably priced big portions, the kind of place where spaghetti and meatballs is on the menu, and it is, well, spaghetti and meatballs. But not bad spaghetti and meatballs.

6. Dinosaur BBQ: very good!

AVOID: Deep South Taco. They done messed up the concept of tacos.

AVOID: Chippewa Street and nightclubs, unless you're under 25 years old and are comfortable with sleaze.

Theatre District & Allentown favorite spots (these places are further away from the subway, with only Founding Fathers on the verge of walkable).

1. Founding Fathers: maybe Buffalo's best bar; if you don't know any better, you might be put off by the politics theme, but it's a big hangout.

2. Gabriel's Gate: best buffalo wings in the city, good bar.

3. Old Pink: kind of a punk hipster institution, usually doesn't get rolling until 11 pm. Remember, Buffalo has New York City hours, closing time is 4 am.

4. Hardware: good place for a drink and food, reasonable.

5. Allen Burger Ventures: best burgers in town, restaurant pricing, $17.

Breweries:

1. Big Ditch is right downtown, so for those looking to get some good beer and then hop right onto the subway trolley, this is a good choice. They are the 3rd best brewery in town.

2. Community Beer Works: for my money, they make the best beers and if they were a little bigger, might be better known on the east coast. They are very good. Need a car to get there as they are on the west side very near the Peace Bridge to Canada.

3. Thin Man Brewery: highly recommended, they are a close #2 to Community. Make prize winning beers, and unlike Community they do have recognition. Located in Elmwood Village so a short car drive, 10 minutes from the arena, maybe less.

AVOID: Resurgence Brewing, some of the daffiest beer concepts around.

* Places to get good American and international beers on tap, almost all of these owned by the same guy, all serve food.

Colter Bay, Moor Room, Thin Man, Coles, Allen Burger Venture

Upscale restaurants (these are just my recommendations, you may want to avoid Buffalo Italian restaurants as they are, well, local Italian cuisine, but there are some very good ones):

1. Black Sheep, by far the best Buffalo restaurant, if you ask me. Limited hours, make reservations. The chef takes meat seriously. Eastern European ideas.

2. Dobutsu, Asian but it's changing over.

3. Las Puertas, fusion type Mexican food, really good Chef, not typical Mexican

4. Toutant: southern American cuisine, New Orleans, etc.

5. Waxlight Bar a Vin, never know what you'll get, it's a shared concept of rotating chefs from other restaurants trying experimental cooking

6. Hutch's restaurant: straight ahead American fare

More affordable than the above:

1. Roost: American and experimental cuisine

2. Mother's: American

3. Left Bank: American

4. Casa Azul: Mexican

A new place has opened up called Moriarty's Meats, and it has a lot of great reviews in a short time, haven't been. It's a butcher shop, with a cafe bar with limited hours, but apparently, you can't get a better sandwich anywhere in this world.
'and are comfortable with sleaze.'
umm, im comfortable with sleaze.

beefalo is cool. a highly rec'd place to visit. nice folks, too.

August_West

Reaction Score
That's for bicycling along the Erie Canal Trail.

OT a bit, but I wouldn't mind an updating/overview of Rochester akin to what @upstater offered re Buffalo.
All you need to know about rockchacha is nick taho’s garbage plate. :)

Also one of my favorite cities to play in . Not much to that place and some really depressed areas, but man they like music and partying. Wild crowds.

Reaction Score
That’s true…. There are some scenic things on 80 in PA but it’s the length that gets you, Ohio and Indiana combined don’t equal that length.
I once drove to Notre Dame and got off the highway in Indiana to find a place to get some gas, and I drove and drove for 45 minutes until I found a place.

Reaction Score
Bills fans are fat, uneducated, alcoholic losers. And beef on weck is easily the most overrated disgusting sandwich in the entire northeast. If you've never had the pleasure, go make a roast beef sandwich on a hard roll, spritz it with a fine mist of water, then pour 2 cups of kosher salt over the top. Viola!
Sounds like a good alternative but I don't know how to play the viola.

Reaction Score
OK, here's my advice:

1. Realize, Buffalo has a subway system. If you're staying in downtown or uptown hotels, there's a high probability that you will be within easy walking distance of the subway. This is the ideal way to go to the arena since the last stop is the arena, right at the harbor's edge. The subway rises above ground for the last 6 stops of downtown (about 2 miles) and you can get on for free when it's above ground.

Downtown bars near the arena:

1. Southern Tier Brewery restaurant, has a massive TV, 2 tiered viewing seating, will likely be jampacked. It's connected to Harbourside which is connected to the arena, so if you can get a seat, it's a good sports bar brewery. I would avoid because of the unlikelihood of finding a seat.

2. Union Pub, a classic sports bar, probably the most popular one for those who attend Sabres games or Bisons games (AAA baseball).

3. Pearl Street Brewery is the oldest of the "new" Buffalo breweries, and not quite up to snuff like the others. Place is 20+ years old. But the food is decent, and again, feels like a sports bar.

4. SATO Brewpub, Asian food and beers.

5. There are nearby places like the Draft Room and Cobblestone and Ballyhoo, but I've never been to any of them for drinking. Ballyhoo has reasonably priced food, but you can do better.

Midtown bars & restaurants I'd recommend:

1. Lafayette Brewpub: they get most of their beer from Pearl Street, but it's a much better atmosphere than Pearl Street Brewery.

2. Misuta Chow's: it's a barcade type place that looks like a Japanese fast food open air alley food stall, but indoors.

3. Hatchets & Hops: yes, throwing hatchets.

4. Mohawk Place & Electric Avenue: dive bars. Both are good dive bars.

5. Tappo Restaurant: it's a bar really, lots of people drinking, but they also do dinner. Food is mediocre but good, if that makes any sense. Reasonably priced big portions, the kind of place where spaghetti and meatballs is on the menu, and it is, well, spaghetti and meatballs. But not bad spaghetti and meatballs.

6. Dinosaur BBQ: very good!

AVOID: Deep South Taco. They done messed up the concept of tacos.

AVOID: Chippewa Street and nightclubs, unless you're under 25 years old and are comfortable with sleaze.

Theatre District & Allentown favorite spots (these places are further away from the subway, with only Founding Fathers on the verge of walkable).

1. Founding Fathers: maybe Buffalo's best bar; if you don't know any better, you might be put off by the politics theme, but it's a big hangout.

2. Gabriel's Gate: best buffalo wings in the city, good bar.

3. Old Pink: kind of a punk hipster institution, usually doesn't get rolling until 11 pm. Remember, Buffalo has New York City hours, closing time is 4 am.

4. Hardware: good place for a drink and food, reasonable.

5. Allen Burger Ventures: best burgers in town, restaurant pricing, $17.

Breweries:

1. Big Ditch is right downtown, so for those looking to get some good beer and then hop right onto the subway trolley, this is a good choice. They are the 3rd best brewery in town.

2. Community Beer Works: for my money, they make the best beers and if they were a little bigger, might be better known on the east coast. They are very good. Need a car to get there as they are on the west side very near the Peace Bridge to Canada.

3. Thin Man Brewery: highly recommended, they are a close #2 to Community. Make prize winning beers, and unlike Community they do have recognition. Located in Elmwood Village so a short car drive, 10 minutes from the arena, maybe less.

AVOID: Resurgence Brewing, some of the daffiest beer concepts around.

* Places to get good American and international beers on tap, almost all of these owned by the same guy, all serve food.

Colter Bay, Moor Room, Thin Man, Coles, Allen Burger Venture

Upscale restaurants (these are just my recommendations, you may want to avoid Buffalo Italian restaurants as they are, well, local Italian cuisine, but there are some very good ones):

1. Black Sheep, by far the best Buffalo restaurant, if you ask me. Limited hours, make reservations. The chef takes meat seriously. Eastern European ideas.

2. Dobutsu, Asian but it's changing over.

3. Las Puertas, fusion type Mexican food, really good Chef, not typical Mexican

4. Toutant: southern American cuisine, New Orleans, etc.

5. Waxlight Bar a Vin, never know what you'll get, it's a shared concept of rotating chefs from other restaurants trying experimental cooking

6. Hutch's restaurant: straight ahead American fare

More affordable than the above:

1. Roost: American and experimental cuisine

2. Mother's: American

3. Left Bank: American

4. Casa Azul: Mexican

A new place has opened up called Moriarty's Meats, and it has a lot of great reviews in a short time, haven't been. It's a butcher shop, with a cafe bar with limited hours, but apparently, you can't get a better sandwich anywhere in this world.
I've never been but I've only heard good things about Buffalo from people who actually spend time there. It seems it's the people who know nothing about it who rip on it.

My friends parents, who spent their entire adult lives in San Diego moved to Buffalo after their retirement around 5 years ago. It's certainly not the retirement move you would expect.

August_West

Reaction Score
I once drove to Notre Dame and got off the highway in Indiana to find a place to get some gas, and I drove and drove for 45 minutes until I found a place.
80/90 shouldn’t have that problem . If you were driving N/S I could see it.

Reaction Score
If we really want to dive into this subject I-80 through Iowa and Nebraska is bad enough that you start questioning whether life is actually worth living.

Having done the cross-country drive on a number of occasions both solo and with other people that stretch of I-80 through Nebraska is the absolute worst for me. Profoundly depressing, especially alone. Texas can be boring, and the cops are dicks, but nothing was as soul crushing as that stretch of Nebraska. You really have to push to make it to Colorado when things start to look up.

August_West

Reaction Score
Having done the cross-country drive on a number of occasions both solo and with other people that stretch of I-80 through Nebraska is the absolute worst for me. Profoundly depressing, especially alone. Texas can be boring, and the cops are dicks, but nothing was as soul crushing as that stretch of Nebraska. You really have to push to make it to Colorado when things start to look up.
Summer of 95 I did it during the heatwave of the century in mid July and the air conditioning quit in Illinois. I really just wanted to tap out. And it’s saying something that the other occasions were only marginally more tolerable.

Reaction Score
Summer of 95 I did it during the heatwave of the century in mid July and the air conditioning quit in Illinois. I really just wanted to tap out. And it’s saying something that the other occasions were only marginally more tolerable.

It's crazy to think back to doing that drive solo in a broken down Saab with 130k on the odometer, no cell phone, and nothing but a log of dip and a pile of books on tape for company. I can remember checking in to some terrible motel in North Platte and hoping someone would break in the room and blow my brains out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom